[Today at 05:55:45 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8442760 times)

dad's couch

• Starter
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/20
« Reply #25100 on: March 23, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »
And 85% of Scoopers thinks he grades out at a “C” or worse. Not exactly a ringing endorsement among the most passionate fans.

You’d like to think the highest paid employee at a university would grade out better than a C-F.

Most passionate fans. Sure you are. Just fans with way too much time on their hands who think you are smarter/better than the rest of us because you bravely sit anonymously behind the key board and say really stupid things over and over. But if that makes you feel good. Who am I to judge. Hopefully you and your family (and everyone else on this board) is healthy and come out of this trying time well.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #25101 on: March 23, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »
Please provide the name of one person in the basketball community who thought Darrin Horn was not replaceable? Or Tony Bedford for that matter? They may have been liked, but no one ever said the weren’t replaceable.

I don’t know if anyone has ever used irreplaceable and assistant in the same sentence outside of this thread. I can’t say Stan accomplished more at MU than those listed above either. If the accomplishments are similar we need to remove the Wojo Hate bias.

Darrin was a little harder since it was so long ago but here is a pretty big endorsement for someone he recruited 16years before. He was also mentioned as a Crean replacement where many people said they would love to have him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2019/04/24/dwyane-wade-darrin-horn-new-nku-head-coach-marquette-assistant/3559711002/

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8709.0

This says he helped with Novak and Diener in addition to Wade

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/15510-south-carolina-basketball-hires-darrin-horn

Here is Tony when he was ranked as the #3 assistant in the country. had some big names come in under him.  I haven’t seen Stan ranked that high. Tony also recruit 6 all big East players including Jae Crowder

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=22286.msg243888#msg243888

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/Tony-Benford-Buzz-Williams-LSU-Texas-AM-basketball-coaching-staff-assistant-130835256/

https://marquettewire.org/3813099/tribune/tribune-sports/benford-moves-on-to-head-coach-at-north-texas/?print=true
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:48:39 PM by BallBoy »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #25102 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:59 AM »
So, no one said they were irreplaceable?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #25103 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »
So, no one said they were irreplaceable?

Sure if it makes you feel better but Stan is also not irreplaceable either as has been shown through the history of very good Marquette assistant recruiters which is the point of offshoot of this thread.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #25104 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
Can we keep it to recruiting, Scoopers?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #25105 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
Sure if it makes you feel better but Stan is also not irreplaceable either as has been shown through the history of very good Marquette assistant recruiters which is the point of offshoot of this thread.
Thank you--so no one said the coaches were irreplaceable as you claimed.

Ok--sorry back to recruiting.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25106 on: March 24, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »
Tony Bedford was so replaceable that less than a decade later we don't even know his name.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #25107 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:43 AM »
Guys this is the recruiting thread! One of the few that all scoopers are to respect and keep on topic!
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #25108 on: March 24, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »
Thank you--so no one said the coaches were irreplaceable as you claimed.

Ok--sorry back to recruiting.

Reading through the thread, it appears to be the only one who referred to Stan as irreplaceable is you, so I'm not understanding your argument when you're using your own statement as your evidence.

Doing a quick search on "irreplaceable", I did find this one post about an assistant coach.

+1

I don't remember reading anywhere that Mark Phelps is the world's greatest assistant coach and his KSA is irreplaceable. Feeling pretty comfortable with Wojo's ability to find a quality assistant to bring on board.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #25109 on: March 24, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Most of the MSU write-ups on Mane are confident he’ll sign with Izzo. Hopefully the official visit to MU (Mane has not made an O-visit to MSU) gives Wojo the edge. This guy would be a major league difference maker for Marquette. Mane, Dawson, Lewis...that’s top 3 nationally.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25110 on: March 24, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
Most of the MSU write-ups on Mane are confident he’ll sign with Izzo. Hopefully the official visit to MU (Mane has not made an O-visit to MSU) gives Wojo the edge. This guy would be a major league difference maker for Marquette. Mane, Dawson, Lewis...that’s top 3 nationally.
That would not even be a top three recruiting class.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #25111 on: March 24, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »

Yeah, but I bet he wants to advance in the tournament and have a shot at the nat'l title....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #25112 on: March 24, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
I just don't have a good feeling about Mane anymore..I just think with all the transfer guards MU is after is somewhat telling(yes, I realize they have the room). To me it just feels like it's Mane or Carton, but not both. I'd love to have both, but don't think that's realistic...then there's this today from Bossi….

With no NCAA tournament or basketball of any kind to capture our attention, the rumor mill has hit an extra gear this spring. Of late, five-star Canadian guard Karim Mane has been the subject of many rumors suggesting that he could be close to making his decision.
For a quick review, Mane is a powerful and athletic 6-foot-5 scorer off the bounce who can play either point or shooting guard. He saw Maryland as a junior and visited Marquette officially during his senior year. More recently, there has been a lot of speculation that Michigan State is making a move. Memphis, among others, has been trying to get more involved. Last summer, his play with Canada’s U19 team attracted enough attention from the NBA to make skipping college altogether an option.
My colleague Corey Evans was in contact with Mane last week and told me that Mane didn’t appear close to a decision. Monday, I checked in with Mane myself and he indicated that he’s not in any kind of rush.
“As far as my decision, everything’s been put on hold right now,” Mane told me. “I’m just trying to see when I’ll be able to get out and see campuses and then make a decision.”
When Mane is ready to decide, it will certainly be big news. He’s a potential instant impact guy. But for now, any rumors suggesting he’s close to a decision appear to be just that, rumors.

I know he was scheduled to see Michigan St before everything got canceled and the above bolded part tells me he's not sold on MU...I mean we used to hear he had no other visits planned etc and everything pointed to MU(if he went to college). All of that has changed. I just don't think he's coming to MU anymore.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #25113 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:45 AM »
I just don't have a good feeling about Mane anymore..I just think with all the transfer guards MU is after is somewhat telling(yes, I realize they have the room). To me it just feels like it's Mane or Carton, but not both. I'd love to have both, but don't think that's realistic...then there's this today from Bossi….

With no NCAA tournament or basketball of any kind to capture our attention, the rumor mill has hit an extra gear this spring. Of late, five-star Canadian guard Karim Mane has been the subject of many rumors suggesting that he could be close to making his decision.
For a quick review, Mane is a powerful and athletic 6-foot-5 scorer off the bounce who can play either point or shooting guard. He saw Maryland as a junior and visited Marquette officially during his senior year. More recently, there has been a lot of speculation that Michigan State is making a move. Memphis, among others, has been trying to get more involved. Last summer, his play with Canada’s U19 team attracted enough attention from the NBA to make skipping college altogether an option.
My colleague Corey Evans was in contact with Mane last week and told me that Mane didn’t appear close to a decision. Monday, I checked in with Mane myself and he indicated that he’s not in any kind of rush.
“As far as my decision, everything’s been put on hold right now,” Mane told me. “I’m just trying to see when I’ll be able to get out and see campuses and then make a decision.”
When Mane is ready to decide, it will certainly be big news. He’s a potential instant impact guy. But for now, any rumors suggesting he’s close to a decision appear to be just that, rumors.

I know he was scheduled to see Michigan St before everything got canceled and the above bolded part tells me he's not sold on MU...I mean we used to hear he had no other visits planned etc and everything pointed to MU(if he went to college). All of that has changed. I just don't think he's coming to MU anymore.

I agree, talking to so many transfer guards right now, you wonder why?  Why because he thinks Mane is going to MSU, not sure the pros.  Bird in hand I am sure what
Wojo is thinking, first come first serve.  Most these transfers probably will not happen till May sometime as I am sure they want to visit the schools as well.  Right now your just checking if there is interest.  They all know about Markus, so somebody knows they can come in and be a significant addition.  Curious how much can the 3 recruits contact other players, not signed, can they or can they not?  I am sure Dawson as been talking to Mane for months now, well hopefully

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #25114 on: March 24, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
What it tells me is that he hasn't been enamored with any program yet.  He's a tire kicker.  For all we know, he might be going around soliciting monetary offers.  More he waits, more his price goes up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25115 on: March 24, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
We only have three guards so far on next year's roster.  Elliott hasn't been able to stay healthy and Symir is largely unproven.  Since Karim hasn't committed, of course we are looking at transfers.  We should be loooking at transfers regardless if he commits or not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #25116 on: March 24, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
A transfer like Carton might be better long-term than getting Mane, who seems likely to bolt for the pros early.

That said, I wonder if Wojo publicly sniffing around every guard on the transfer market isn't also him trying to send a message to Mane.  "If you want to be here, sign now or we will move on"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #25117 on: March 24, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
We only have three guards so far on next year's roster.  Elliott hasn't been able to stay healthy and Symir is largely unproven.  Since Karim hasn't committed, of course we are looking at transfers.  We should be loooking at transfers regardless if he commits or not.

1. McEwen
2. Elliott
3. Torrence
4. Akanno
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25118 on: March 24, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
Thanks Ted.  I did forget about Dexter.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #25119 on: March 24, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
Thanks Ted.  I did forget about Dexter.
Have not seen much of Dexter but seems like an underrated recruit Physical tough aggressive intense defender who can make the 3.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25120 on: March 24, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »
Mane may still be up in the air, but we have 3 open schollies if all three current commits still arrive on campus.  Even with Mane, we still have 2 open spots.  I wouldn't read Wojo casting a wide net on transfers as having a ton to do with Mane.  These transfers have tons of options, and you're obviously not going to get every guy you want or show interest in, so I have no problem with Wojo casting a wide net.  Plus, Mane may very well be a one and done (at least I think he wants to be), so being in on traditional transfer guards such a Carton could really just be Mane's replacement. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25121 on: March 24, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »
Have not seen much of Dexter but seems like an underrated recruit Physical tough aggressive intense defender who can make the 3.

So Sacar Anim.  We should be so lucky.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25122 on: March 24, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
So Sacar Anim.  We should be so lucky.

Any D1 team needs players like Sacar Anim. The really good D1 teams need that guy to be a 6th or 7th man, energy guy off the bench. When he’s your #2 guy, though, your prospects are limited - even if your #1 guy is a first team AA.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #25123 on: March 24, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »
Any D1 team needs players like Sacar Anim. The really good D1 teams need that guy to be a 6th or 7th man, energy guy off the bench. When he’s your #2 guy, though, your prospects are limited - even if your #1 guy is a first team AA.

Look at sacar n baileys stats the last 7-8 games to find the reason for the implosion.  And recall we lost 4? Games by 1-2 points
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #25124 on: March 25, 2020, 03:36:47 AM »
Does anyone know if we are recruiting Jeremy Sochan? Transferred to La Lumiere prep in Indiana from Europe, watched the kids highlights he’s gonna be a real good player. Very athletic and a long wing player