[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 295030 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #850 on: June 22, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
NVTA!
You don't usually see the acquiring company go up like that
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #851 on: June 22, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
i don't know what the definitions of upper, upper mid and middle class are, but i sure do not view myself as "wealthy"  i have been able to provide well for my family and able to enjoy some nice things.  if not for the economic blow-out of 2008-09, it never would have crossed my mind to buy a 2nd home.  i was just in the right place at the right time.  my parents had been going down to lake havasu city for 25 years.  i was somewhat familiar with havasu and really liked it!

after 7 years, it rebounded by 40%.  couple that with the 20% down, 7 years of pay down on the mortgage and we eagerly sold and reinvested in a little bigger/better in surprise, Az.  probably the best all around choices i've ever made.  it sure as hell saved my sanity from march 17-april 27

I love hearing honesty.

7 years and it rebounded 40%, and then the pandemic, truth from the heart.  It takes a lot of crowns and hard work to make up the difference.

To my knowledge I have known only one wealthy person, I mean wealthy.  Hundreds of millions, and that was 1963 at Marquette.  Now it's probably in the billions to qualify. 
It's rags to rags in three generations, hard to beat the system.

Oh, and the big pension trusts, thousands of small investments.  I was suprised also.  They have consultants, big time fees, hundreds of thousands, why?  To advise which investments to NOT MAKE.

The young are the risk takers, go for the gold, why not?  You would probably be suprised how much the little old lady at church is worth. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:37:09 PM by vogue65 »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #852 on: June 23, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
You don't usually see the acquiring company go up like that

Very true.  The combined expertise of NVTA and ArcherDX will be a paradigm shifter in the cancer arena.

Another early stage candidate doing some great work is WRTC - founded by an acquaintance of mine.  Share price has run up lately, yet the product has great potential for worldwide adoption.

Anyone looking to take a flier on an early-stage biotech that has good potential should look at ONTX currently trading at $0.58/share.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #853 on: June 28, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
  boeing 737 max test flights to begin-let's see how the market reacts, or has that "secret" already built into the price?

but aircraft demand at 0...no surprise
don't...don't don't don't don't

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #854 on: July 16, 2020, 11:29:44 AM »
Very true.  The combined expertise of NVTA and ArcherDX will be a paradigm shifter in the cancer arena.

Another early stage candidate doing some great work is WRTC - founded by an acquaintance of mine.  Share price has run up lately, yet the product has great potential for worldwide adoption.

Anyone looking to take a flier on an early-stage biotech that has good potential should look at ONTX currently trading at $0.58/share.

ONTX mentioned above on the move today.  WRTC is still a good play even though up 33% from time of above post.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #855 on: July 17, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
See ... THIS is the kind of executive-level stuff I find reprehensible ...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/macys-bonuses-executives-job-cuts

Macy's doled out $9 million in equity bonuses to its top executives just two weeks after the retailer said it would cut thousands of jobs in its corporate office.

CEO Jeff Gennette received restricted stock worth about $3.6 million on July 9, according to a regulatory filing. The other five, including legal chief Elisa Garcia, Chief Operating Officer John Harper and Chief Transformation Officer Danielle Kirgan, received sums ranging from $900,000 to $3 million, according to the filings.

I don't like painting anybody with a broad brush, so I am NOT saying "CEOs are bad," or anything of the like. I am saying actions like this one -- which are all too common -- are unethical, immoral and, well, pretty close to evil.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #856 on: July 17, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
See ... THIS is the kind of executive-level stuff I find reprehensible ...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/macys-bonuses-executives-job-cuts

Macy's doled out $9 million in equity bonuses to its top executives just two weeks after the retailer said it would cut thousands of jobs in its corporate office.

CEO Jeff Gennette received restricted stock worth about $3.6 million on July 9, according to a regulatory filing. The other five, including legal chief Elisa Garcia, Chief Operating Officer John Harper and Chief Transformation Officer Danielle Kirgan, received sums ranging from $900,000 to $3 million, according to the filings.

I don't like painting anybody with a broad brush, so I am NOT saying "CEOs are bad," or anything of the like. I am saying actions like this one -- which are all too common -- are unethical, immoral and, well, pretty close to evil.

I agree they're reprehensible and horrible. I've often wondered if those execs have bonuses written into their contracts that make companies do it regardless of the situation.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #857 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »
ONTX mentioned above on the move today.  WRTC is still a good play even though up 33% from time of above post.

ONTX up 22% today to $.98/share.

VBIV was another I got in on 4 months ago.  It's run up a lot recently, however they have a strong pipeline, and are the only pharma with a pan-corona vaccine candidate - which would provide antibodies against mutations of COVID viruses, as well as MERS.  Additionally, they have a best in class Hepatitis B vaccine that is approved in Israel, already, and likely will gain US approval in Q1 2021.

https://insiderfinancial.com/novovax-investors-need-to-look-at-vbi-vaccines/180137/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
                                                                                                                    sorrento!!
   took a flyer as this was so cheap and there were so many companies with drugs, vaccines, tests etc going on.  bought in at 8 and 13.  hope this isn't another one of those "kodak" moments
don't...don't don't don't don't

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #859 on: August 10, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »
Think Ellenson Family Reunion gives some good advice above.  This dip is a great thing for you being 30 years out.  If you are a buy and hold guy, ideas I'd present would be:  AMRN, ETSY, ULTA, RVLV, SQ, BA, SHOP, CTAS.

Higher volatility biotechs I like (a sector invest 50% of my portfolio):  AXSM, FLGT, GNPX, NVTA, SAVA, AQST, IGMS.

Bloom Energy (BE) is also an interesting company with a bright future IMO.

Invest at your own risk above.  Just sharing some ideas.

Hope some of you got in on these.  BE, ETSY, SQ, RVLV, FLGT, AQST, NVTA all 4 baggers.

I just hit a nice home run on some APPS calls that I bought 4 weeks ago.  Entering overbought territory now, but they have a very bright future.  Also got in on CLSK last Thursday and that has run up nicely.

I'm hoping to buy in on OTRK if it will drop back into the mid $40s.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #860 on: August 11, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
Hope some of you got in on these.  BE, ETSY, SQ, RVLV, FLGT, AQST, NVTA all 4 baggers.

I just hit a nice home run on some APPS calls that I bought 4 weeks ago.  Entering overbought territory now, but they have a very bright future.  Also got in on CLSK last Thursday and that has run up nicely.

I'm hoping to buy in on OTRK if it will drop back into the mid $40s.
you got your wish

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #861 on: August 12, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
Could one of you guys explain WTF is going on in the markets?

I get it .. unemployment isn't the only driver for "the market" or "the economy" .. but revenue sure as hell does.

Yes, there are industries whose revenues are normal or higher in COVID times.  E-commerce.  Tech providers.  Video conferencing.  Grocery. 

But tons of industries will have massively reduced revenue, now and into 2021.    There is massive uncertainty in what is going to happen. 

If there's massive risk .. and revenues will be way down for a huge chunk of the global economy -- for years -- how the hell is the market near it's highest ever? 

I'll hang up and listen.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #862 on: August 12, 2020, 10:41:14 AM »
Could one of you guys explain WTF is going on in the markets?

I get it .. unemployment isn't the only driver for "the market" or "the economy" .. but revenue sure as hell does.

Yes, there are industries whose revenues are normal or higher in COVID times.  E-commerce.  Tech providers.  Video conferencing.  Grocery. 

But tons of industries will have massively reduced revenue, now and into 2021.    There is massive uncertainty in what is going to happen. 

If there's massive risk .. and revenues will be way down for a huge chunk of the global economy -- for years -- how the hell is the market near it's highest ever? 

I'll hang up and listen.

If you can print endless money to buy various financial vehicles, you can back stop the market.  Basically the Fed has been buying Trillions in bonds, ETFs, and the like over the last few months.  This in turn gives funds the confidence to know they wont let the markets fall.  So they buy aggressively and factor that support into their long term projections.

This is a few big names, like AMZN or other tech leaders, who had great revenues during COVID times (and are a large part of indicies so when they go up, it pushes indicies up) and the Fed pushing money and liquidity into the market and being the tide that lifts all boats.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #863 on: August 12, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »
If you can print endless money to buy various financial vehicles, you can back stop the market.  Basically the Fed has been buying Trillions in bonds, ETFs, and the like over the last few months.  This in turn gives funds the confidence to know they wont let the markets fall.  So they buy aggressively and factor that support into their long term projections.

This is a few big names, like AMZN or other tech leaders, who had great revenues during COVID times (and are a large part of indicies so when they go up, it pushes indicies up) and the Fed pushing money and liquidity into the market and being the tide that lifts all boats.

And what happens when the fed stops putting money in? Or what are the long-term ramifications of this money printing?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #864 on: August 12, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »
Also, the S&P500, for example, is weighted by market capitalization. I heard the stat a few days ago that the FAANG stocks are up collectively 35% for the year while the other 495 stocks in the index are -5% collectively. So the really big names are propping up the indices.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #865 on: August 12, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »
Because the big funds, pension trusts like the Pennsylvania Public School Employee's Retirement System hold blue chips and don't trade much.

I suggest most of you guys get a real job and save your money.

Most of you won't because you believe in the propaganda of Wall Street.  Besides gambling is fun.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #866 on: August 12, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
And what happens when the fed stops putting money in? Or what are the long-term ramifications of this money printing?

We will see air pockets of downside. Unfortunately none of this is sustainable.  The long term ramifications is inflation, and hyper inflation if it gets really bad. It’s trading potential long term chaos for short term stability and “protection”

Because the big funds, pension trusts like the Pennsylvania Public School Employee's Retirement System hold blue chips and don't trade much.

I suggest most of you guys get a real job and save your money.

Most of you won't because you believe in the propaganda of Wall Street.  Besides gambling is fun.

Does it ever get exhausting being a pretentious know it all jackass?

Nobody in here is day trading. Most everyone has a sensible investing strategy and realistic goals and expectations.

Have fun with your sub 1% savings rate while other people bought into that “propaganda” and got 10-20x that in gains annually, while in conservative ETFs and index funds, Not everyone has a absurd bloated pension fund to provide for them in their old age while they stash cash under their mattress

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #867 on: August 12, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »

Doot doot.  This is why you buy Bitcoin.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #868 on: August 12, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
Exactly.

And no one seems to care.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #869 on: August 12, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
Long term ramifications are inflation. I don't think hyperinflation where we are printing trillion dollar bills like Zimbabwe or Weimar Germany is likely, BUT, will there be years of 5%, 7%, even 10% inflation in my lifetime? I think it is unavoidable at this point. It is the only way we will be able to get our national debt back to a sustainable level and level off from all of the liquidity being firehosed into the system. This will also relieve the immense student debt and consumer debt burdens.

It is what it is. Diversify. Some cash is important for emergencies, but invest in things that are more inflation-proof. There's lots of good options.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #870 on: August 12, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
It is what it is. Diversify. Some cash is important for emergencies, but invest in things that are more inflation-proof. There's lots of good options.

Yep. It’s as good a time as ever to look into alternative investments. I’ve never been a big precious metals guy, but gold looks appealing for the first time in YEARS.  REITs that invest in some of the mid tier cities. Emerging markets. Plenty of interesting opportunity even if the US equity market could be facing headwinds

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #871 on: August 12, 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
We will see air pockets of downside. Unfortunately none of this is sustainable.  The long term ramifications is inflation, and hyper inflation if it gets really bad. It’s trading potential long term chaos for short term stability and “protection”

Does it ever get exhausting being a pretentious know it all jackass?

Nobody in here is day trading. Most everyone has a sensible investing strategy and realistic goals and expectations.

Have fun with your sub 1% savings rate while other people bought into that “propaganda” and got 10-20x that in gains annually, while in conservative ETFs and index funds, Not everyone has a absurd bloated pension fund to provide for them in their old age while they stash cash under their mattress

I am substantially invested in the market, however a rathervsmall % of total assets. 

There is no such thing as an investment strategy.  Like asset allocation, total bull.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #872 on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
you got your wish

Yes.  It had to fill that gap in the chart from $40-$46, so not surprised it fell back.  However, did not expect it to happen this fast.  Bought in today at $42.99.

RVLV might be a good short term, short option, after its run up on earnings reported after the bell today. Should it remain gapped up from $19.50 to $24.50 for a few days, I may take a short position.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #873 on: August 31, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »
Apple and Tesla both move upwards on the day they each split(4:1 and 5:1 respectively).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #874 on: September 03, 2020, 02:56:21 PM »
Still believe AMRN is a a great investment at its current $7.62 share price.  Revenues doubled 3 years in a row and Q1 2020 up 108% over Q1 2019.  Market cap of only 2.94B.  $645M Cash on hand.  Suspect this is being held down by big pharma as their one drug, Vascepa, will disrupt the whole cardiovascular drug market, and how care is delivered.

Some big catalysts ahead in near term for AMRN, with readouts of their EVAPORATE study - which essential shows clearing of arteries - which can eliminate need for stenting.  European approval and partners should be announced in Q3.

I now have 50% of my portfolio invested into AMRN dollar cost averaged down to $8.25.
More bad news for AMRN as they lose their patent appeal. Shares now sub $5.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/appeals-court-rules-against-amarin-in-vascepa-patent-dispute/ar-BB18GgRr?ocid=msedgntp

feedback