* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 296906 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #875 on: September 03, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
More bad news for AMRN as they lose their patent appeal. Shares now sub $5.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/appeals-court-rules-against-amarin-in-vascepa-patent-dispute/ar-BB18GgRr?ocid=msedgntp

While some people's favorite board personality has been totally wrong on AMRN, this is really a discouraging and concerning decision as it pertains to drug development.  Nothing other than a small study used by Hikma showed the drug and its effects to be "obvious".  The FDA made AMRN test and sample extensively, which normally is open and shut in their defense in a situation like this.

The judges were pretty biased and went into the decision yesterday/today with their minds made up.  There was zero cross examination of Hikma and they came to a complete, overarching conclusion within 24 hours.  Just wild and incredibly deflating for "little guys" in the pharma

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #876 on: September 03, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
More bad news for AMRN as they lose their patent appeal. Shares now sub $5.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/appeals-court-rules-against-amarin-in-vascepa-patent-dispute/ar-BB18GgRr?ocid=msedgntp

Was a brutal decision for all of the reasons JWags laid out above  AND the fact that there was nothing obvious about isolating EPA from Fish Oil that suggested it would raise HDL and lower LDL.  The FDA put AMRN through a rigorous 11,000+ person study to prove its drug did in fact do the above, and that it reduced MACE risk.  The results astounded the cardiology community.

25% risk reduction of MACE for those taking Vascepa vs Placebo. Something very shady has taken place here - Big Pharma likely behind the scenes as AMRN didn't sell to them, AND their drug can radically shift the paradigm in care in pharmaceuticals used in cardiac care.

IF the science were so obvious, there is no reason Big Pharma nor any other entity wouldn't have moved forward on their own years ago..at the time AMRN began.

Thankfully I crushed some other investments to offset AMRN, and also dollar cost averaged down when the initial ruling came out back on March 30 buying a lot more at $4.05/share.

AMRN still has patents in Europe and should be approved for release there in Q1.  I'm still holding I think this is worth more than $5/share.

P.S. - Judges not even issuing their rationale is absurd in a case with billions on the line...and I suspect the reason for not issuing their rationale is because to do so would be an exercise in pretzel logic. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #877 on: November 09, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »
A good day to have PFE in your portfolio.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #878 on: November 09, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
A good day to have lots of things in your portfolio.

Even "boring" stocks that have nothing to do with vaccines are going bonkers today -- and were especially rolling shortly after open. Names like KO, RTX, HON, O, MA, SBUX, and so on. Utilities up. Banks up. Oil up. Up, up, up.

I thought about taking some profits, decided against it, but then did decide to do a little selling and might do a little more.

I'm not a trader, I'm a reluctant seller who prefers a buy-and-holdish style, but some of these run-ups are pretty inexplicable.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #879 on: November 09, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
A good day to have lots of things in your portfolio.

Even "boring" stocks that have nothing to do with vaccines are going bonkers today -- and were especially rolling shortly after open. Names like KO, RTX, HON, O, MA, SBUX, and so on. Utilities up. Banks up. Oil up. Up, up, up.

I thought about taking some profits, decided against it, but then did decide to do a little selling and might do a little more.

I'm not a trader, I'm a reluctant seller who prefers a buy-and-holdish style, but some of these run-ups are pretty inexplicable.
Except tech down on the notion that people won't be forced to stay at home within the foreseeable future, and the S&P500 up by less than half a percent. The Dow had a good day, but not so much the broader market.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #880 on: November 09, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
Except tech down on the notion that people won't be forced to stay at home within the foreseeable future, and the S&P500 up by less than half a percent. The Dow had a good day, but not so much the broader market.

Oh, there were some others that went way down, mostly from industries that had gained big during the coronavirus: CLX, HD, LOW, GIS, TGT, PG, etc.

It was an interesting, kind of bizarro day for Mr. Market.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #881 on: November 09, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »
Oh, there were some others that went way down, mostly from industries that had gained big during the coronavirus: CLX, HD, LOW, GIS, TGT, PG, etc.

It was an interesting, kind of bizarro day for Mr. Market.

Sector rotation from "lockdown stocks" to "reopen stocks"

My emergency fund is still larger than normal. It's going to be a long winter... though maybe not for public companies.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #882 on: January 01, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
OK Scoopvestors, so what are your top picks for 2021?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #883 on: January 01, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
Last week there was a local story.  They interviewed a Yale Economic Professor who thought we were going to enter a "Roaring 20's minus the flapper girls post Coronavirus".  There are a lot of similarities per his analysis.  Spanish Flu & WWI among others.

« Reply #884 on: January 02, 2021, 11:50:40 PM »
OK Scoopvestors, so what are your top picks for 2021?

My portfolio is now fully invested in two stocks : GMGI (global online gambling infrastructure/software) and SHMP (clean natural seafood technology and processes).  Both had great runups late in the year and gaining volume.  Fingers crossed.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #885 on: January 03, 2021, 05:35:55 AM »
Last week there was a local story.  They interviewed a Yale Economic Professor who thought we were going to enter a "Roaring 20's minus the flapper girls post Coronavirus".  There are a lot of similarities per his analysis.  Spanish Flu & WWI among others.

Interesting food for thought, but I won't act on it.
The world now acts at, excuse the expression, warp speed.
If we have the Roaring 2020's it would probably be a very short lived phenomenon.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #886 on: January 03, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »
My portfolio is now fully invested in two stocks : GMGI (global online gambling infrastructure/software) and SHMP (clean natural seafood technology and processes).  Both had great runups late in the year and gaining volume.  Fingers crossed.

You seriously have all of your money in TWO stocks?

1) How old are you?
2) Why do you hate money?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #887 on: January 03, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
Concentration makes you rich, diversification keeps you rich

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #888 on: January 05, 2021, 10:49:05 PM »
Quick! Someone tell me where to invest to maximize the next 2 years!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #889 on: January 05, 2021, 11:09:23 PM »
Quick! Someone tell me where to invest to maximize the next 2 years!

Pot stocks.  And reverse ETFs.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #890 on: January 05, 2021, 11:34:39 PM »
Pot stocks.  And reverse ETFs.

You think the market is gonna go down? Everything I've seen says Kamala was hand-picked by wall street and they love Biden too.

Sure, maybe the general market goes down a bit, but if they really feared biden/harris, they wouldn't have supported their candidacy. There's money to be made

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:48 AM »
You think the market is gonna go down? Everything I've seen says Kamala was hand-picked by wall street and they love Biden too.

Sure, maybe the general market goes down a bit, but if they really feared biden/harris, they wouldn't have supported their candidacy. There's money to be made

It's a half hour before the market opens and here are my (probably wrong) thoughts:

1) I'm expecting a big down market today on news of what happened in Georgia. As much as 10 percent down. But it will be short lived and rebound fairly quickly as the world becomes accustomed to the new normal in government.

2) The Kamala thing is interesting. I said the same thing about Hillary Clinton more than four years ago. The Goldman Sacs money paid to Hillary was an investment in assuring she didn't go too far off the ranch. If true, same for Kamala.

3) The "real" government is on "K" Street in Washington. The lobbyists for the real estate agents, bankers, gun makers, credit unions, manufacturers, laborers etc. We may have changed stripes in Congress and on Pennsylvania Avenue, but we didn't on K Street. These guys are protecting economic interests, not social interests.

4) I'm not sure I'd be owning oil company stocks right now, or most utilities. Energy will be a volatile investment for years to come.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2021, 08:23:17 AM »
1) I'm expecting a big down market today on news of what happened in Georgia. As much as 10 percent down. But it will be short lived and rebound fairly quickly as the world becomes accustomed to the new normal in government.

There is no way the market is down 10% today without economic news.  If this was that big of an event, futures would have already plummeted.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »
It's a half hour before the market opens and here are my (probably wrong) thoughts:

2) The Kamala thing is interesting. I said the same thing about Hillary Clinton more than four years ago. The Goldman Sacs money paid to Hillary was an investment in assuring she didn't go too far off the ranch. If true, same for Kamala.

3) The "real" government is on "K" Street in Washington. The lobbyists for the real estate agents, bankers, gun makers, credit unions, manufacturers, laborers etc. We may have changed stripes in Congress and on Pennsylvania Avenue, but we didn't on K Street. These guys are protecting economic interests, not social interests.

4) I'm not sure I'd be owning oil company stocks right now, or most utilities. Energy will be a volatile investment for years to come.

I disagree with most of this, but let's talk about utilities

4) Utilities are getting government money, not paying from their own balance sheet, to bring their energy production into the future with green energy. Wind + solar are getting efficient enough that we'll start seeing a lower need for oil/gas/coal, which will continue to drive down the cost of doing business for energy companies. I rotated about 5% of my portfolio into XLU in March.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »

This does not appear to be panning out.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #895 on: January 06, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
This does not appear to be panning out.

Not so far.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #896 on: January 06, 2021, 09:20:29 AM »
Not so far.

Only needs to go down 3,300 points as 1020am EST.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #897 on: January 06, 2021, 10:22:55 AM »

In the very immediate short term, maybe not, but we will see how progressive an agenda is pushed by Dems controlling House, Senate, and WH

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #898 on: January 06, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »
In the very immediate short term, maybe not, but we will see how progressive an agenda is pushed by Dems controlling House, Senate, and WH

I actually think this is a red herring.  There is the potential for a Senate that will not be obstructionist and bring legislation to the floor for votes.  However, it cannot pass unless every democrat signs on or some moderate R's move.  Manchin, Snow, Murkowski, a few others just gained a lot of power.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #899 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »
I actually think this is a red herring.  There is the potential for a Senate that will not be obstructionist and bring legislation to the floor for votes.  However, it cannot pass unless every democrat signs on or some moderate R's move.  Manchin, Snow, Murkowski, a few others just gained a lot of power.

My thought isn’t so much “DEMS BAD FOR BUSINESS”, more that the market is very overheated and has been for awhile.  Trump and Co pulling every lever to get the market as high as possible, cause they were hanging there hat on it.  IMO, it won’t take all that much to deflate that.  So it doesn’t even have to be wildly broad reaching legislative change as much as slowing some of the last few years of administrative direction and eyes towards some further change.