[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8335978 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1/18
« Reply #12075 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
That's fine and dandy, but will he play with the flu?   :o :o :o

Buddy only plays with the easy viruses. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12076 on: February 12, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
Anyone see any movement with Jalen Wilson? It seems like this is one of those Stan specials when someone this summer referred to Marquette having some "goons" on the streets (which, as we all learned, is a compliment). DJ Carton, Mario McKinney, and Jalen Wilson are definitely at the top of my "want list."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12077 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
Anyone see any movement with Jalen Wilson? It seems like this is one of those Stan specials when someone this summer referred to Marquette having some "goons" on the streets (which, as we all learned, is a compliment). DJ Carton, Mario McKinney, and Jalen Wilson are definitely at the top of my "want list."

Most recent update I can remember was in mid-January there was an article that said Marquette was "routinely checking in on" Jalen Wilson (along with half a dozen other schools). I think we have the benefit of being the first non-local high major to offer him. He was a three star then and has blown up to a 5-star per some services. Blue bloods like KU and UNC are starting to sniff around. FWIW (next to nothing), we still have the only crystal bowel pick for Mr. Wilson but that was back in October.

I'm pretty sure the "goons on the street" comment was in regards to the Quetin Grimes recruitment. The source was an AAU coach based in Houston IIRC
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:58:54 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12078 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:32 PM »

I'd be on board for a Jalen Wilson, Jalen Johnson, Jalen Suggs group in the next 2 classes.

But in reality, a Texas kid that is part of an Adidas AAU program?  Good luck at Kansas, Jalen (Wilson).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12079 on: February 12, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
To follow along with what Chick said, Mr. Jaffee was most impressed by how the team welcomed him during that Saturday workout.  Each player addressed him personally by name, helped him up like a teammate when he went down to the floor, and basically treated him like one of their own.  Buddy apparently has an excellent outside shot and was recruited by low D-1 but that the family all agreed that basketball wasn't going to drive his future.  So next year Cam (Senior) and Buddy (Frosh) will be the two preferred walk-ons.  I have no information about Lelito in terms of next year and don't know if there are plans to hold another open try out to supplement the existing team (the process he came out of). 

Mr. Jaffee also agreed with me that 'on ball' defense might be the best way for Buddy to earn a couple minutes!   :)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12080 on: February 12, 2018, 06:11:58 PM »
To follow along with what Chick said, Mr. Jaffee was most impressed by how the team welcomed him during that Saturday workout.  Each player addressed him personally by name, helped him up like a teammate when he went down to the floor, and basically treated him like one of their own.  Buddy apparently has an excellent outside shot and was recruited by low D-1 but that the family all agreed that basketball wasn't going to drive his future.  So next year Cam (Senior) and Buddy (Frosh) will be the two preferred walk-ons.  I have no information about Lelito in terms of next year and don't know if there are plans to hold another open try out to supplement the existing team (the process he came out of). 

Mr. Jaffee also agreed with me that 'on ball' defense might be the best way for Buddy to earn a couple minutes!   :)

I would hope they would welcome Lelito back if he would like to return (obviously assuming he’s a good teammate).
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12081 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
Sorry I don’t know: what is a “preferred” walk-on versus a walk-on?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12082 on: February 12, 2018, 11:40:01 PM »

I don't know a Buddy Jaffers. But Buddy Jaffee will be a preferred walk on for Marquette for the 2018-2019 season. Essentially this means that he will walk on but will earn a scholarship if one happens to be available (aka we don't use our currently available schollie). He's 6"1 and didn't play PG for his high school team. Probably better than Marotta and Lelito but wouldn't count on him getting into many games. Marquette Wire did a profile on him back in October if you are curious: https://marquettewire.org/3978667/sports/buddy-gets-buckets-future-walk-on-uses-persistence-to-earn-spot-on-team/
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12083 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »

Basically someone recruited to some point and promised a walk on spot. It’s just semantics, there is no actual difference when on the team.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12084 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »
A “walk on” is a player who is not receiving an athletic scholarship. A preferred walk on is someone who is not receiving an athletic scholarship ; however,there is guaranteed a roster spot on the team and do not have to try out. Generally the coaches have already evaluated these preferred walk ons. Although in some  of the non revenue sports a player with a well respected coaching reference may obtain one of these spots .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12085 on: February 13, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
A “walk on” is a player who is not receiving an athletic scholarship. A preferred walk on is someone who is not receiving an athletic scholarship ; however,there is guaranteed a roster spot on the team and do not have to try out. Generally the coaches have already evaluated these preferred walk ons. Although in some  of the non revenue sports a player with a well respected coaching reference may obtain one of these spots .

Exactly.  As Herman said, there is essentially zero chance that Jaffee is ever earning a scholarship with the possible exception of a second semester Senior year 'honorary' one as was done for Mache a couple years ago.  At Marquette, preferred means 'you've already made the team' before setting foot on campus.  That's the deal with Marotta.  It's also the deal with Jaffee.  I don't know the way Duke handled it but I can envision it being utilized at MU on a going forward basis under the right circumstances.

Let me also add that there is zero expectation of playing time.  No promises are made and any that you get is along the Marotta model and is earned in practice in 'Rudy fashion'. A non-preferred Lelito had to earn his jersey at the open tryout and has seen 1 minute this year if my memory is correct so he's even more limited in his opportunities.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:01:27 AM by jsglow »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12086 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »
Exactly.  As Herman said, there is essentially zero chance that Jaffee is ever earning a scholarship with the possible exception of a second semester Senior year 'honorary' one as was done for Mache a couple years ago.  At Marquette, preferred means 'you've already made the team' before setting foot on campus.  That's the deal with Marotta.  It's also the deal with Jaffee.  I don't know the way Duke handled it but I can envision it being utilized at MU on a going forward basis under the right circumstances.

Let me also add that there is zero expectation of playing time.  No promises are made and any that you get is along the Marotta model and is earned in practice in 'Rudy fashion'. A non-preferred Lelito had to earn his jersey at the open tryout and has seen 1 minute this year if my memory is correct so he's even more limited in his opportunities.

Thanks Herman and jsglow.  Great explanations. Ty

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12087 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
2 walk-on max/season?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12088 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
2 walk-on max/season?

You can have as many as you want.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12089 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »

Yep. I have seen rosters for some of our opponents in the last couple of years that had 20+ guys on it.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12090 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »

See Syracuse

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12091 on: February 13, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »

It’s just a term to make people feel better. Meaningless.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12092 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »

Does anyone know why we didn't have an open tryout this year to try to get an extra guy to replace Cheatham? Is it just too time-consuming to weed out a bunch guys just for the sake of having an extra body in practice?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12093 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

I think I read that Army & Navy has a large number of players because technically everyone is walk-on at these schools.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12094 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:36 PM »
Does anyone know why we didn't have an open tryout this year to try to get an extra guy to replace Cheatham? Is it just too time-consuming to weed out a bunch guys just for the sake of having an extra body in practice?

They did have an open tryout.  Lelito made it that way.  I'm sure had they seen another worthy candidate the could have found him at the Rec Center after Cheatham left.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12095 on: February 13, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
Jahvon Quinerly expected to sign with Nova per Yahoo sports

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12096 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:01 PM »
Jahvon Quinerly expected to sign with Nova per Yahoo sports

I wonder if he will play or get the Brian Bowen treatment.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12097 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:14 PM »
They did have an open tryout.  Lelito made it that way.  I'm sure had they seen another worthy candidate the could have found him at the Rec Center after Cheatham left.

I cannot believe Hank didn't bring me onto the team in 1980 based upon my outstanding play in intramurals.

I mean, I once made 2 shots in a row. Pretty sure that's better than anything Greg Shimon ever did!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12098 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
I know a guy who Majerus saw playing at the Rec Center and he became a walk on. Every practice he reminded him that he was not to even touch Doc.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12099 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
I wonder if he will play or get the Brian Bowen treatment.

Still an open question, and I’m sure nova will not let him play so long as there is any danger that it could be penalized.  From what I read today, Nova put a ton of resources into the vetting on this one, including hiring a white shoe law firm to conduct an investigation.  They concluded that he was seemingly unaware of the machinations related to his recruiting.  Advantage over the Bowen (and others) situation is the additional year to let the investigation run its course.