[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8430265 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1/18
« Reply #12025 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »
Yes. But the the already shallow talent pool in JUCO is already picked pretty clean.
PG on Houston was from juco real good player, Corey Davis Jr

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #12026 on: February 05, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »
Mario Mckinney had some elite performances in the recent St. James Invitational in Hagerstown, MD.

After losing a close game to then undefeated St. Benedict’s NJ, Vashon went on to win the consolation bracket with wins over Benedictine and Our Savior New American. Mckinney had 32 against St. Benedict’s and he waa strong throughout the event, scoring and creating in a variety of ways. Slicing and dicing, finishing in the paint, outside jumpers, steals, fast break. A plethera of college coaches in attendance.

EJ Liddell had 32 in a Belleville West win over Webster Groves. The high motor power forward has a much improved handle and much improved outside jumper to the 3 point line. While Courtney Ramey played, Carte’ Are Gordon did not for Webster.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12027 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
Yes. But the the already shallow talent pool in JUCO is already picked pretty clean.
I’m curious as to why you say yes here?
Until Wojo signs a Juco, I am under the impression that we are not signing Jucos. Maybe I am incorrect. Maybe he’s out searching for them, and just hasn’t landed one. However, it appears that Grad transfers seem to be the route for this regime.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12028 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
PG on Houston was from juco real good player, Corey Davis Jr

Yes. And so is their star player Rob Gray. There are good jucos out there...but the number of high major ready jucos (because they have to be high major ready because they only have 2-3 years to develop) are measured in the tens, while high major ready transfers and high major quality freshmen are measured in the hundreds.

According to jucorecruiting.com there is only one player listed as a PG in the top 40 JUCO players this season, #12 Andres Feliz from Northwest Florida State, who is uncommitted. The #12 player for their rankings last season was Shawn Olden...who is currently averaging 2 points and 0.9 rebounds for TCU. Now that of course doesn't mean that this year's #12 JUCO will be the same quality of player...but it is an example of how shallow the talent pool in JUCO can be.

The top ranked JUCO player to end up playing for high major this season is Bruce Stevens who was #6 per JucoRecruiting. He is currently the 5th starter for an 11-12 Ole Miss team.

And while some don't like to talk about it, academics are an issue at a higher rate for JUCOs. 3 of the top 5 players from last year's rankings (#3 Jordan Brangers, #4 Tony Farmer, and #5 Antone Warren) ended up not playing for the Division 1 schools they committed to.

I don't think we will find our PG at the JUCO level but if there is a quality one that can qualify academically than I am all for it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12029 on: February 05, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
I’m curious as to why you say yes here?
Until Wojo signs a Juco, I am under the impression that we are not signing Jucos. Maybe I am incorrect. Maybe he’s out searching for them, and just hasn’t landed one. However, it appears that Grad transfers seem to be the route for this regime.

The Marquette ban on JUCOs is a myth. We just have a more difficult time getting JUCOs to qualify because we don't accept Phy Ed credits which is what a lot of basketball recruits major in at JUCOs. Wojo has recruited three JUCOs that I can remember and even brought one of them on campus (Darral Willis Jr who ended up at Wichita State). You're right that it's definitely not a focus of Wojo's like it was for Buzz...but I think that has more to do with the fact that Buzz had a lot more contacts and experience at the JUCO level and the limited talent pool at the JUCO level.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12030 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:16 PM »
Yes. And so is their star player Rob Gray. There are good jucos out there...but the number of high major ready jucos (because they have to be high major ready because they only have 2-3 years to develop) are measured in the tens, while high major ready transfers and high major quality freshmen are measured in the hundreds.

According to jucorecruiting.com there is only one player listed as a PG in the top 40 JUCO players this season, #12 Andres Feliz from Northwest Florida State, who is uncommitted. The #12 player for their rankings last season was Shawn Olden...who is currently averaging 2 points and 0.9 rebounds for TCU. Now that of course doesn't mean that this year's #12 JUCO will be the same quality of player...but it is an example of how shallow the talent pool in JUCO can be.

The top ranked JUCO player to end up playing for high major this season is Bruce Stevens who was #6 per JucoRecruiting. He is currently the 5th starter for an 11-12 Ole Miss team.

And while some don't like to talk about it, academics are an issue at a higher rate for JUCOs. 3 of the top 5 players from last year's rankings (#3 Jordan Brangers, #4 Tony Farmer, and #5 Antone Warren) ended up not playing for the Division 1 schools they committed to.

I don't think we will find our PG at the JUCO level but if there is a quality one that can qualify academically than I am all for it.

Superb statement of facts, TAMU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12031 on: February 05, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »
The Marquette ban on JUCOs is a myth. We just have a more difficult time getting JUCOs to qualify because we don't accept Phy Ed credits which is what a lot of basketball recruits major in at JUCOs. Wojo has recruited three JUCOs that I can remember and even brought one of them on campus (Darral Willis Jr who ended up at Wichita State). You're right that it's definitely not a focus of Wojo's like it was for Buzz...but I think that has more to do with the fact that Buzz had a lot more contacts and experience at the JUCO level and the limited talent pool at the JUCO level.
Thanks for this.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #12032 on: February 05, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »

There's one guy who is playing at Indian Hills who was a reserve freshman at Niagara last year and went the JUCO route to increase his chances to play at a HM school.  He's a 6-2 170 combo guard named Shane Gatling and he's averaging 17 points a game and shooting almost 40% from 3 for the #2 ranked team in NJCAA D1.  Not sure if Marquette would have any interest if the post-grad option isn't there.  A Baldwin, NY native (Long Island).
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12033 on: February 05, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

The underlined is the key IMHO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12034 on: February 05, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »
There's one guy who is playing at Indian Hills who was a reserve freshman at Niagara last year and went the JUCO route to increase his chances to play at a HM school.  He's a 6-2 170 combo guard named Shane Gatling and he's averaging 17 points a game and shooting almost 40% from 3 for the #2 ranked team in NJCAA D1.  Not sure if Marquette would have any interest if the post-grad option isn't there.  A Baldwin, NY native (Long Island).

#24 per JUCO Recruiting. They have him listed as a 6"4 SG. I am interested in any kid who can make us better, send his highlight tape to Wojo!
TAMU

TedBaxter

• All American
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12036 on: February 05, 2018, 07:38:18 PM »
hope we give shane a call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12037 on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »

EJ Liddell had 32 in a Belleville West win over Webster Groves. The high motor power forward has a much improved handle and much improved outside jumper to the 3 point line. While Courtney Ramey played, Carte’ Are Gordon did not for Webster.

Liddell is a stud.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12038 on: February 05, 2018, 09:20:24 PM »
Liddell is a stud.
Do we have a real chance at him?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12039 on: February 06, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
Is Kevin Hervey eligible for a grad transfer? Great player from UT Arlington

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12040 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Is Kevin Hervey eligible for a grad transfer? Great player from UT Arlington

No. He's a senior and his eligibility will be exhausted at the end of the season. Quality player for sure but I think Wojo will only be looking at PGs in the grad transfer market.
TAMU

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12041 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
That Tyger Campbell kid committed to UCLA. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12042 on: February 06, 2018, 09:51:44 AM »
That Tyger Campbell kid committed to UCLA.

Poor DePaul
TAMU

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12043 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
Poor DePaul
They deserve it for running such a garbage program.  The fact that some people were calling Tyger Campbell a make or break recruit for a Big East program is pathetic.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12044 on: February 06, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
hope we give shane a call

We'll do better than Shane, maybe even if we don't use the schollie this spring.  It's nice to have schollies laying around when needed for a Froling or a Joey Hauser.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12045 on: February 06, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
Do we have a real chance at him?

It wouldn't matter, at least not until if/when a forward decides to transfer.  We have one schollie currently and a big need at point guard.

Recruiting doesn't happen in a vacuum.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #12046 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Liddell is a 2019 recruit.So yes we would have room for him and he is a stud

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12047 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
He is having another strong year.

Career high ORtg! ... of 105.2 for his 12-14 LBSU squad. :/

273 2FGA's.. shooting 46.5% 2FG%. rah rah
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12048 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
They deserve it for running such a garbage program.  The fact that some people were calling Tyger Campbell a make or break recruit for a Big East program is pathetic.

And THIS is why you don't hire high school coaches to be your assistants of a high major college program.  There are no guarantees you automatically get the kids (or the success) of the high school program.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12049 on: February 07, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
Pat Lawless

@PatLawless_
13h13 hours ago

Paul Mulcahy, a class of 2019 guard from Gill St. Bernard's (NJ), has picked up an offer from Marquette.