Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8722284 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1600 on: May 18, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
So this is what it's come to?  Kostas or hoping Wojo hasn't burned his bridges with Ners?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: May 18, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
A project big sounds pretty good right now.

You certainly know more about his game than I do, but doesn't hurt to get him in here for a year and see what happens. If he doesn't develop at all, he can go elsewhere.  Going into 2017 with Matt Heldt as your only non freshman over 6 foot 6 is scary.

Correction... Hauser is 6'7".

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: May 18, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
I don't think there's any question that Hauser is going to see essentially all his minutes at the #4.  Same with Sacar.  Both those guys are going to need to contribute.  I think most of us agree that Reinhardt is the starter under any scenario we paint.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: May 18, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
Darn. Not often Mark Miller misses on MU picks. Will be interesting facing Kalif next few years.

Big daddy, we need the low down 8-)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: May 18, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
The next phone call needs to be to Mr. Wilson to close the deal with Kostas.  I am confident in his abilities . Our strength and conditioning crew will work with him and get him into Big East shape.

Did you read FPW's post?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
I am confident in his (Kostas)abilities.

There are fewer statements truer than this one. You certainly are.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1606 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
Terry Brutus is a wild name running through my head
That's a blast from the past. If he's healthy, might be worth a flier, but feels like that's a massive if.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: May 18, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
Interesting.  Matty V suggests that Wojo's in no rush and might go a man light.  One thing's for sure.  Wally ain't coming back.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/380045341.html

Boone

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: May 18, 2016, 08:59:14 PM »
Coach and recruits are in perfect harmony, apparently. Wojo's in no rush to fill the scholarship and recruits are in no rush to accept it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
Coach and recruits are in perfect harmony, apparently. Wojo's in no rush to fill the scholarship and recruits are in no rush to accept it.

Boone - funny but sadly true observation.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1610 on: May 18, 2016, 09:50:44 PM »
I'll add something to the conversation that might otherwise be overlooked.  The Antetokounmpo family is reportedly very tight.  So would it be so terrible when future recruits come to town that they're welcomed by 'friends of the MU family' Giannis and Jabari?

'How 'bout a little pick-up game son?  MU and Wojo would be a great place for you.'

Isn't that in and of itself better than an open scholly?  Or are there more guys from Rice Lake we want?
This is one of the many reasons I am in the pro Kostas camp.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1611 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »
Did you read FPW's post?
Yes I did. I respect his point of view. I have watched full games and seen him in person. Yes I agree he is not his brother. I have a different point of view though in that I think he can be a solid college basketball player at our level. There are others such as Purdue , which made the NCAA tournament last year, who also believe that.

Different opinions are what make markets.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: May 18, 2016, 11:48:41 PM »
Yes I did. I respect his point of view. I have watched full games and seen him in person. Yes I agree he is not his brother. I have a different point of view though in that I think he can be a solid college basketball player at our level. There are others such as Purdue , which made the NCAA tournament last year, who also believe that.

Different opinions are what make markets.

If other schools actually believe he can be a solid college basketball player then why is it May 18 of his senior year of high school and he is nowhere near committing to play basketball anywhere?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: May 18, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
If other schools actually believe he can be a solid college basketball player then why is it May 18 of his senior year of high school and he is nowhere near committing to play basketball anywhere?

I don't have official information on this, but I believe there is some concerns whether he can qualify at a power conference school.  Very intelligent kid, but adapting to another language is tough.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15
« Reply #1614 on: May 19, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »
Looks like we have offered 2017 6'10 PF Nathan Reuvers from Lakeville North in Minnesota. Currently has about 23 D1 offers. Crystal ball has him picking Wisconsin.

Committed to Wisconsin today. Clearly the young man isn't the brightest bulb
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1615 on: May 19, 2016, 04:56:52 AM »
all that talk about kostas and st johnnies...i think is more of a wink wink and wojo's got 'em if he wants him.  just letting him "sow his oats" so to say, just stay away from that school just to da south of indy.  as we know, the family unit is tight and if he goes more east, he ain't coming home between classes 'eyner?
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: May 19, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
IDK, been thinking.  Wojo talks about 'being fine' with the 12 he has.  But we're exactly one injury away (Luke) from being unable to compete in the BEast.  I mean go 5-13 in the BEast kind of stuff.  I'm not 'fine' with that but would save a helluva lot of gas next winter.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: May 19, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
IDK, been thinking.  Wojo talks about 'being fine' with the 12 he has.  But we're exactly one injury away (Luke) from being unable to compete in the BEast.  I mean go 5-13 in the BEast kind of stuff.  I'm not 'fine' with that but would save a helluva lot of gas next winter.

I don't know if he is a little too casual sometimes with the press sometimes or just uses poor words to describe things.  His comment last year about the kids being 'tired' when we passed on the lower post-season opportunities is another good example.

In either case I hope we still add a big body somehow for next year - even just for practice purposes. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: May 19, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »

But what big could we have gone after that would've changed that?  An injury to Luke whether we got  Young or not was going to really hurt our season.  Unless we just neglecting to go after a 1 and done big that had a ton of interest in MU, I'm not sure anybody we could've recruited would be a viable replacement for Luke in the event of a long term injury to him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »
But what big could we have gone after that would've changed that?  An injury to Luke whether we got  Young or not was going to really hurt our season.  Unless we just neglecting to go after a 1 and done big that had a ton of interest in MU, I'm not sure anybody we could've recruited would be a viable replacement for Luke in the event of a long term injury to him.

Personally I think its the responsibility of the coach to recruit.  It is what it is at this point, but if no-one has a ton of interest its not an excuse - its a potential problem.  The no-one wants to play with us for one year excuse works when you have no hope of making the NCAA tourney -- that I hope is no longer the case.

That being said I agree with the essence of Wojo's comment -- Young not coming is 'fine' as that was more about '17 benefit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:34 AM »

I don't think I agree wades.  Wojo had (and has) an obligation to 'know' that HE wouldn't be back.  He had ample time to effectively recruit a 3-star kid who could fill in at the 4/5, as necessary.  Let's just say a young Ousmane Barro or Chris Otule.  Right now we don't have that.  So at the moment the alternative is 25 minutes of Matt Heldt and 15 minutes of who, Reinhardt/Cohen/Hauser, in the post if Luke were to go down?  We'd lose almost every game.

No, that's not acceptable and it's pure 'coach-speak' to think that it is.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: May 19, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »
I don't think I agree wades.  Wojo had (and has) an obligation to 'know' that HE wouldn't be back.  He had ample time to effectively recruit a 3-star kid who could fill in at the 4/5, as necessary.  Let's just say a young Ousmane Barro or Chris Otule.  Right now we don't have that.  So at the moment the alternative is 25 minutes of Matt Heldt and 15 minutes of who, Reinhardt/Cohen/Hauser, in the post if Luke were to go down?  We'd lose almost every game.

No, that's not acceptable and it's pure 'coach-speak' to think that it is.   

Wojo knew Hank was gone and is recruiting accordingly.  2017 is the year we need a couple bigs.  Wojo tried to get a couple for next year and missed.  That's the reality of recruiting.

We do have a 3 star kid who can fill in at the 5 as necessary, and he's already had 1 year in the program.  Heldt is exactly what you just asked for in a freshman, so once again I'll reiterate that I don't think anybody we could've brought in outside of a 1 and done type big would've prevented a long term injury to Luke from being a very big deal to this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
Anybody who has paid attention to Wojo knows that him saying he is "fine" with 12 means he's playing his cards close to the vest.  What do you expect him to say?

I fully expect that they had plan Bs under consideration right after Gill turned MU down.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: May 19, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
I've got nothing against Matt.  Actually liked his progress a lot.  But the reality is Wojo is ill prepared for a plausible scenario in '16 that could have been reasonably anticipated for many months.  I totally agree that Kalif wasn't the 'answer' necessarily.  But adding some size is and was a 'must'.  Right now there's a pretty wide seat on the bench between Sacar and Marotta.

Oh wait.  Cam can come in.  Problem solved.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
Anybody who has paid attention to Wojo knows that him saying he is "fine" with 12 means he's playing his cards close to the vest.  What do you expect him to say?

I fully expect that they had plan Bs under consideration right after Gill turned MU down.

That certainly could be true and is a reasonable conclusion Sultan.  Time will tell.

feedback