Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8722602 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1575 on: May 18, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
Who are we recruiting next year and would we get 4 top 100 players? If the 4th guy is in the 150 range, wouldn't it just make sense to try to snag Kostas. I just don't see us having a huge need for a schollie next year and would rather develop a player now.

(I'm assuming we have four open next year if we bank this year's Wally's spot, right?

Here is the list from the front page of this thread. Granted I do not know the rankings, and with no Kalif and assume no other signings then it is actually 4 scholarships.

17-'18 (Three available scholarships)

Nojel Eastern - PG Offered

Theo John - PF Offered/Visiting

McKinley Wright - PG Offered?

Derek Culver - PF Offered

Brandon Randolph - SG Offered

Ikechukwu Eke - PF Offered

Hasahn French - PF Offered

EDIT: credit to Jsglow for keeping this current and up to date....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1576 on: May 18, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »
I agree 100%.  I hope Wojo began considering his options as soon as Gill went to Maryland.  I agree with the statement that assistants other than Stan need to be asked to deliver although it has been stated that they don't cover territories.

I'm open to other choices but I wouldn't let an admittedly raw Kostas follow Jeter to UNLV.  You can't coach height.

Who are we recruiting next year and would we get 4 top 100 players? If the 4th guy is in the 150 range, wouldn't it just make sense to try to snag Kostas. I just don't see us having a huge need for a schollie next year and would rather develop a player now.

(I'm assuming we have four open next year if we bank this year's Wally's spot, right?

Here's the thing about Kostas, you may want him, but Wojo has shown no interest whatsoever in him, so I'm skeptical that he would contribute anything.

My interest level is Kostas has sky rocketed.

When you take what you don't want because you couldn't get what you wanted, you're on the road to being a loser.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:29:57 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1577 on: May 18, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
Isn't that the definition of Kostas?  5 fouls to give from the end of the bench.  Plan B in case of injury.  Potential 'uuuge' upside.  Seriously, St. John's went worldwide last year just to dress a team.

I just reversed the Kostas strikeChitown, change your name kid.
All of you Kostas fans need to watch a full game of him competing against D5 WI munchkins and you will get it. He is not a big. His bball IQ is not there. He is not his brother.

My vote is to save the scholly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: May 18, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Kostas does seem like the girl at the end of the bar that gets cuter come closing time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1579 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »
When you take what you don't want because you couldn't get what you wanted, you're on the road to being a loser.

A project big sounds pretty good right now.

All of you Kostas fans need to watch a full game of him competing against D5 WI munchkins and you will get it. He is not a big. His bball IQ is not there. He is not his brother.

You certainly know more about his game than I do, but doesn't hurt to get him in here for a year and see what happens. If he doesn't develop at all, he can go elsewhere.  Going into 2017 with Matt Heldt as your only non freshman over 6 foot 6 is scary.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:39:12 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1580 on: May 18, 2016, 01:38:15 PM »
Kostas does seem like the girl at the end of the bar that gets cuter come closing time.

LOL  ;D

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but he has size. My main worry is if he'll even be eligible to play next year. But at this point, I wouldn't be against taking a flier on him and if he doesn't work out, he transfers in a year or two.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1581 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »

+1...million.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1582 on: May 18, 2016, 01:41:45 PM »
I would vote:

A.) An immediately eligible transfer with only 1 year left if one is worthwhile (no)
B.) Bank it

Bringing back Wally admits fault and that it wasn't about dedication, preparation, time, etc. Time will heal those wounds. The important thing is that we don't do something that eliminates a scholly for 17/18 - we still have good options on the table there.

Edit: Above A would be "Ben Bentil convinces the Big East and Providence to let him transfer to Marquette to exact his revenge. But that's it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:48:04 PM by GB Warrior »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1583 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
The next phone call needs to be to Mr. Wilson to close the deal with Kostas.  I am confident in his abilities . Our strength and conditioning crew will work with him and get him into Big East shape.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1584 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
The next phone call needs to be to Mr. Wilson to close the deal with Kostas.  I am confident in his abilities . Our strength and conditioning crew will work with him and get him into Big East shape.

What if he wants to call home to see how Mrs. Wojo and the kids are doing?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1585 on: May 18, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
What if he wants to call home to see how Mrs. Wojo and the kids are doing?
Make that call after business hours.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1586 on: May 18, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »

I agree with this analysis

CheesyMUfan4ever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1587 on: May 18, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
Anyone have a Herro Update?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1588 on: May 18, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1589 on: May 18, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
Outstanding.  Kostas is now 6'11' and will be a lottery pick in '17!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: May 18, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »
Outstanding.  Kostas is now 6'11' and will be a lottery pick in '17!

Kostas has really grown into his body.  Here's a recent pic.... Get him WOJ!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1591 on: May 18, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
I'll add something to the conversation that might otherwise be overlooked.  The Antetokounmpo family is reportedly very tight.  So would it be so terrible when future recruits come to town that they're welcomed by 'friends of the MU family' Giannis and Jabari?

'How 'bout a little pick-up game son?  MU and Wojo would be a great place for you.'

Isn't that in and of itself better than an open scholly?  Or are there more guys from Rice Lake we want?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1592 on: May 18, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »

I'm not a Kostas fan. He's clearly not a finished product. But with dwindling options, he at least has size and athletic ability. With coaching and a couple years, he might be able to be at least a serviceable player. And if not, you gently move him along. He's pretty much the definition of project, and at this point, we won't have much more we can do with the scholarship.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: May 18, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Gently move kostas along if he doesn't work out???
We tried to gently move Wally along and gave him a free ride for another year through track and people are still flipping their collective crapholes over it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1594 on: May 18, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
We tried to gently move Wally along and gave him a free ride for another year through track and people are still flipping their collective crapholes over it.

The Wally thing was a Senior with no option to transfer situation.  No one would bat an eye if another underclassman similar to Jamail were asked to consider his options after Sophomore year.  Heck, it could happen to Sacar in 9 months.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1595 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »

Totally different situation, as glow mentioned. Having a sophomore transfer with a wealth of options versus a senior whose eligiblity was force exhausted are not even remotely similar.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1596 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »

Haha exactly.  That's what I find funniest in all of this.  The same people who are saying this looks horrible because Young and Gill didn't come and we let go of Walter to get them are the ones saying you can just bring Kostas in and if he stinks you push him out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »
Terry Brutus is a wild name running through my head
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1598 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »
The Wally thing was a Senior with no option to transfer situation.  No one would bat an eye if another underclassman similar to Jamail were asked to consider his options after Sophomore year.  Heck, it could happen to Sacar in 9 months.

How about this option for the senior: commit to basketball in the same way that the other 12 scholarship players (who are all ahead of you on the depth chart) have committed and you can hang onto your basketball full ride.  Otherwise take a full ride for track.

Either one seems like a pretty fair option to me.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1599 on: May 18, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
How about this option for the senior: commit to basketball in the same way that the other 12 scholarship players (who are all ahead of you on the depth chart) have committed and you can hang onto your basketball full ride.  Otherwise take a full ride for track.

Either one seems like a pretty fair option to me.

Of course.  And I was fully onboard with the Wally cut as soon as I knew they had a track scholly for him.

feedback