[Today at 11:32:22 AM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 6/15/24  (Read 8968489 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15
« Reply #1550 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
Heard Grandstaff was spotted in Raynor gently penetrating the Great Books section, hard cover by hard cover, absorbing every inch of knowledge until the final, pulsating thrust resulted in the ultimate, breathless sense of sunyata.

You sure he wasn't arrested before he finished?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
Kalif out.  Next?

GGGG

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1552 on: May 18, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: May 18, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »

<crickets>

I'd hate to go with 12.  Do they reach out to anyone?  Not to start a firestorm but Kostas?

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1554 on: May 18, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
I'll take Charles Matthews from Kentucky. He's transferring, and I believe he was once a MU target.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Okay guys.  Ears open.  BD, get on it!

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
I'd hate to go with 12.  Do they reach out to anyone?  Not to start a firestorm but Kostas?

Kostas? Kostas

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
Let's try to have an informed discussion about where we go from here.  Options include:

1) Stop recruiting '16.  Save the scholarship for a potential mid-year transfer or add to our current three available for '17.  Personally, I oppose this strategy because I think you generally avoid 'banking'.

2) Turn to a traditional transfer who is compelled to sit out for the year.  Names?

3) Go with another Frosh, perhaps Kostas or Eugene Omoruyi?

4) Any reasonable grad transfer option? (I think not given what TAMU has reported.)

5) Chat with Wally?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: May 18, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
Darn - just a miss - what are you gonna do - Wojo/staff record on closing recruits is pretty money through two years however, - oh well, move on - at least now there's something else to talk about aside from the two pages of sexual innuendos from a bunch of creepy anonymous males....you guys do know there are places on the internet designed for that kind of activity, right?  What am I saying, of course you know that.

MU RAH

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: May 18, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »
I'd look at #2 and #3 because #4 doesn't seem to be an option.

Then I'd settle for #1.

Wouldn't touch #5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: May 18, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »
One thing that bothers me is the over-reliance on Stan Johnson for our recruiting.  He pulled in Reinhardt, Howard and Bailey.  Hauser was locked up awhile ago by Wojo.  (A year ago yesterday).  As far as I can tell, Nelson and Carrawell don't do much of anything. 

So in the last year, every player brought on board to MU has been due to Stan Johnson.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »
I'll take Charles Matthews from Kentucky. He's transferring, and I believe he was once a MU target.

No need, we need someone that can rebound. Matthews was a Buzz target and we're pretty well set at the 2/3.

My guess is Matthews ends up at Virginia Tech.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
I'd look at #2 and #3 because #4 doesn't seem to be an option.

Then I'd settle for #1.

Wouldn't touch #5.

I agree 100%.  I hope Wojo began considering his options as soon as Gill went to Maryland.  I agree with the statement that assistants other than Stan need to be asked to deliver although it has been stated that they don't cover territories.

I'm open to other choices but I wouldn't let an admittedly raw Kostas follow Jeter to UNLV.  You can't coach height.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
not too worried - you really only need someone with significant size every other year, we got heldt last year, we missed this year, no biggie - we will get one or two bigs for the following year and we will be fine - offensively the bigs are somewhat diminished in modern bball, so in some respect you really are just looking for size to work with, they are almost always 'projects' - it does stink this team is still not 'whole' however, but considering two years ago we were playing with 7 guys and henry leaves, no surprise - its hard to get 5 high quality recruits every year unless you have a ring

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »
I really hate banking a scholarship. It seems like we do it every year when you could've just added a bench piece to develop/use in practice. Has it ever worked in our favor?

I just hope we find a raw big and hope he develops into a top 7 player his junior/senior year. We already have enough guys for this year and don't need someone to contribute in the games. Just a warm body for practices.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
I really hate banking a scholarship. It seems like we do it every year when you could've just added a bench piece to develop/use in practice. Has it ever worked in our favor?

I just hope we find a raw big and hope he develops into a top 7 player his junior/senior year. We already have enough guys for this year and don't need someone to contribute in the games. Just a warm body for practices.

Isn't that the definition of Kostas?  5 fouls to give from the end of the bench.  Plan B in case of injury.  Potential 'uuuge' upside.  Seriously, St. John's went worldwide last year just to dress a team.

I just reversed the Kostas strikeChitown, change your name kid. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:35:32 PM by jsglow »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
Isn't that the definition of Kostas?  5 fouls to give from the end of the bench.  Plan B in case of injury.  Potential 'uuuge' upside.  Seriously, St. John's went worldwide last year just to dress a team.

Well, I've made it clear I want Kosta. I think low risk/high reward if we sign him at this point. But I also know it's been said he isn't an option (that might have changed) and so i generalized my comment to any young big that we could develop. I just really hate banking scholarships.

Who are the top remaining recruits?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »

Yes. Now don't get me wrong, I was excited about possibly getting Kalif. But lets look at it this way, he would be a PF this year that wouldn't contribute too much, and I think everyone kind of knows it. It was a warm body, it was just someone to come in and get 3-4 rebounds a game.
The guys we are recruiting for the PF next year are going to be good gets with solid ratings and stats from what I've seen.
It's a bummer we didn't get young, but I'm not exactly upset about it, I'm actually quite ok with it.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
One thing that bothers me is the over-reliance on Stan Johnson for our recruiting.  He pulled in Reinhardt, Howard and Bailey.  Hauser was locked up awhile ago by Wojo.  (A year ago yesterday).  As far as I can tell, Nelson and Carrawell don't do much of anything. 

So in the last year, every player brought on board to MU has been due to Stan Johnson.

Staff brought in Henry Haanif and Traci without Stan. Pretty sure Nelson was instrumental in a couple if not all of those recruitments. No clue on C-Well, but I know he's hailed as more of a player development guy than a recruiter. I'm thrilled to have Stan and he's pretty clearly our best recruiter, but he's not the only one. And hey if he we can keep pulling good recruiting classes, idgaf if it's Ners doing the recruiting.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
Yes. Now don't get me wrong, I was excited about possibly getting Kalif. But lets look at it this way, he would be a PF this year that wouldn't contribute too much, and I think everyone kind of knows it. It was a warm body, it was just someone to come in and get 3-4 rebounds a game.
The guys we are recruiting for the PF next year are going to be good gets with solid ratings and stats from what I've seen.
It's a bummer we didn't get young, but I'm not exactly upset about it, I'm actually quite ok with it.

Sure, and if Ike or Theo comes in next year and immediately gets minutes ahead of Kostas, so be it.  Just like Howard trying to take Traci's minutes this year.  Now remember, I'm totally open to someone else but sure would like an eligible big for that slot in '16.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
I believe 13 eligible players is too many to keep happy. I like transfers that have to sit out a year. They help in practice and they cannot be unhappy about the minutes they are getting.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »

Who are we recruiting next year and would we get 4 top 100 players? If the 4th guy is in the 150 range, wouldn't it just make sense to try to snag Kostas. I just don't see us having a huge need for a schollie next year and would rather develop a player now.

(I'm assuming we have four open next year if we bank this year's Wally's spot, right?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: May 18, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Kalif out.  Next?

Are you sure?  What's your source?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: May 18, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
I believe 13 eligible players is too many to keep happy. I like transfers that have to sit out a year. They help in practice and they cannot be unhappy about the minutes they are getting.
Yeah, I agree but there doesn't seem to be any transfers this year. I wish more players would be accepting of the redshirt year. If you aren't good enough to go pro, why not take five years of college? You will have a better career, get more benefits, and walk away with a masters degree.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1574 on: May 18, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
My interest level is Kostas has sky rocketed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback