collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 233024 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »
Marquette hosts Creighton tomorrow night.  Creighton has lost twice in the Big East, but beat Marquette at Creighton so they would have the tie breaker on Marquette if they win again.  It sounds like Creighton is dealing with some injuries.  Marquette would essentially lock up the Big East title if they win this one (they would be 2 games up on Creighton and UCONN if UCONN also wins Friday, but they also beat UCONN both matchups this year, and I don't see 2 more losses this year after tomorrow for Marquette).  Creighton has absolutely owned Marquette in the series, so we'll see if they can finally chase the Bluejay demons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #876 on: October 28, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
I have a feeling once they get one or two on Creighton, the flood gates will open.

Just a weird mental block. Sure Creighton is always pretty talented, but I don’t think that much more than Marquette.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #877 on: October 28, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »
I can't, for the life of me, understand how Georgetown beat UCONN. Once the Hoyas started 0-4 - with home losses to DePaul, Butler, and Xavier (not to mention the obligatory loss to MU), I honestly thought they might go 0-18 for the Big East. I obviously don't follow as closely as I did in the past, but they are not good. It's been disappointing to see how far they've fallen so quickly.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #878 on: October 28, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
I can't, for the life of me, understand how Georgetown beat UCONN. Once the Hoyas started 0-4 - with home losses to DePaul, Butler, and Xavier (not to mention the obligatory loss to MU), I honestly thought they might go 0-18 for the Big East. I obviously don't follow as closely as I did in the past, but they are not good. It's been disappointing to see how far they've fallen so quickly.

Did not even realize that was one of UCONN's Big East losses.  Without that in there, they could've finished second in the Big East this year.  Don't think it would've been close to enough for an NCAA Tournament berth given a pretty soft schedule and some non-con losses to mid-majors, but they've had a pretty good Big East season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #879 on: October 29, 2021, 07:19:25 AM »
Agree. This is a bell weather game. MUVB needs to get off the schneid versus Creighton where they are 5-22.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #880 on: October 29, 2021, 10:38:40 PM »
Was at the match. Not very impressive. Ball control is solid. They can’t terminate on anything and are really poor in transition offensively. They kept throwing up high balls to the right pin in transition, into Creighton’s big outsides, while letting Creighton’s short and not super athletic setter go unchallenged at the net. And they let that same setter get a number of kills offensively.

Wolf’s setting and Rennie in the middle were very impressive. Theis panicked after losing set 3. Rennie not nearly as effective on the right, and the middle that came in was not very good.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #881 on: November 26, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
Front page of the Journal Sentinel:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2021/11/26/marquette-volleyballs-savannah-rennie-has-overcome-health-scares/8644601002/

Marquette volleyball player overcame a liver transplant, cancer, and a torn ACL to dominate on the court.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:21:00 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #882 on: November 27, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
Front page of the Journal Sentinel:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2021/11/26/marquette-volleyballs-savannah-rennie-has-overcome-health-scares/8644601002/

Marquette volleyball player overcame a liver transplant, cancer, and a torn ACL to dominate on the court.

Wow - that's quite a lot that Rennie has overcome to keep playing volleyball.

It's no real surprise as Marquette and Creighton will meet in the Big East Tournament final today - that's the 4th time in 5 years that's happened.  That's at 1P central from the Al on FS2.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #883 on: November 29, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #884 on: December 02, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
Not a great start for MU.  I wasn't impressed with Creighton, and the fact that they pretty much dominated us three times this year made me thought Dayton might take it to MU.  Maybe they'll turn it around, but even so, I kind of like Purdue as the second best team (behind Texas) this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #885 on: December 02, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »
Sounds like Hope Werch's season is over with a knee injury?  So that certainly doesn't help the cause.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #886 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
Dayton was up 2-0 on Purdue and lost the next three 25-15, 25-6, 15-5. That’s absurd.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #887 on: December 03, 2021, 10:55:02 PM »
Dayton was up 2-0 on Purdue and lost the next three 25-15, 25-6, 15-5. That’s absurd.

I don’t understand how 25-6 happens in a collegiate volleyball game. That’s unreal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #888 on: December 04, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
I don’t understand how 25-6 happens in a collegiate volleyball game. That’s unreal.

A Libero with hands like Faisal Abraham?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #889 on: May 06, 2022, 11:59:18 AM »
Nations League starts soon.

Can’t wait to see Speraw run out increasingly maddening lineups with incredibly sub-par serving performances.

Can’t believe he still has a job with the national team…

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #890 on: June 11, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »
Jake Haynes is an absolute nut job, but boy is he good. Lot of good opposites with Anderson, Ensing, and Haynes

Still think Brazil wins this match comfortably, but good showing from the US “C” team.

Still hate Speraw. Don’t understand how you play your starters in an absolute drubbing of Netherlands, but bench half the starters for Brazil…

This team may actually be okay with Micah and Shoji.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #891 on: August 26, 2022, 08:57:15 PM »
Marquette opens their season with a 5 set win at #11 Kentucky. MU has gotten some really nice road wins in the non conference the last number of years.

Maybe they can win a match against Creighton sometime in my life.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #892 on: August 27, 2022, 11:36:10 AM »
Marquette opens their season with a 5 set win at #11 Kentucky. MU has gotten some really nice road wins in the non conference the last number of years.

Maybe they can win a match against Creighton sometime in my life.

Flipped over to it when I saw Anonymous Eagle tweeting about it.  Impressive 5th after they got pretty much handled the 3rd and 4th.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #893 on: September 02, 2022, 08:10:12 AM »
At Wisconsin tonight.  I didn't see either team play last weekend, but it sounds like Madison looked really good against TCU but served really bad against Baylor.

Talks of playing future games at Fiserv Forum.  Would be awesome if you actually sell the tickets.  But it'd be about 16 to 1 UW to MU fans.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #894 on: September 02, 2022, 09:59:55 PM »
Holy smokes Marquette choked this set (and thus match) away. I will never understand why a coach would wait so long to use their first timeout when you are already at 18 points. You’re up 18-11. If they get that to 18-13, burn one. You side out there and the set is in hand. Instead you wait until it’s like 18-15 and now not only are they in striking distance, but you’ve also given them all of the momentum and the crowd is into it. And I know you want to keep your outside in the match to have her swing out of the back row, but when they’re targeting her in serve receive and she can’t pass a simple float serve it’s time to get her off the court.

18-11 to 21-25. Horrible.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #895 on: September 02, 2022, 11:30:26 PM »
Holy smokes Marquette choked this set (and thus match) away. I will never understand why a coach would wait so long to use their first timeout when you are already at 18 points. You’re up 18-11. If they get that to 18-13, burn one. You side out there and the set is in hand. Instead you wait until it’s like 18-15 and now not only are they in striking distance, but you’ve also given them all of the momentum and the crowd is into it. And I know you want to keep your outside in the match to have her swing out of the back row, but when they’re targeting her in serve receive and she can’t pass a simple float serve it’s time to get her off the court.
———-
Was  an exciting match to watch.   We had a good lead as you say.    A. Earlier time out maybe would have helped but I’m not a coach. .   But number 24 vs number 6 @ Wisconsin - damn Marquette played hard.  The No net call was interesting.   

18-11 to 21-25. Horrible.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2022, 09:52:29 PM »
Creighton fell in 5 sets to Nebraska in Omaha tonight.  They had the largest regular season volleyball only crowd in NCAA history at this game - 15,797.  https://gocreighton.com/news/2022/9/7/volleyball-bluejays-huskers-vb.aspx

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2022, 04:12:27 PM »
that duke-BYU match isn't playing out very well.  looks like another chapter out of the juicy smolley playbook-very sad it has come down to this.  corrections and apologies are due.  there are enough valid concerns there's no need to make em up. ruins the credibility of real cases.  looks like another innocent person has been victimized.  just hope he/she has their reputation intact as lives have been ruined for far less

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/08/30/fan-who-was-banned-by-byu-does/
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2022, 05:15:19 PM »
that duke-BYU match isn't playing out very well.  looks like another chapter out of the juicy smolley playbook-very sad it has come down to this.  corrections and apologies are due.  there are enough valid concerns there's no need to make em up. ruins the credibility of real cases.  looks like another innocent person has been victimized.  just hope he/she has their reputation intact as lives have been ruined for far less

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/08/30/fan-who-was-banned-by-byu-does/

You didn't read the article did you?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2022, 05:19:47 PM »
Clearly not.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.