[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Defense vs College  (Read 350 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
NBA Defense vs College
« on: January 29, 2024, 06:16:27 PM »
There's been some gargantuan games recently in the NBA.  I don't watch a lot of pro hoops but is it fair to say the defense on the perimeter isn't as physical as the college game?   My thought is the NBA should make an adjustment on this issue.  If players are more skilled and athletic today why would adding a bit of bumping or hand-checking be a bad thing?  I don't think people want to seeing mugging like we do in some college games but I find it a little weird that the two levels appear to be officiated completely differently.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA Defense vs College
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 06:26:18 PM »
There's been some gargantuan games recently in the NBA.  I don't watch a lot of pro hoops but is it fair to say the defense on the perimeter isn't as physical as the college game?   My thought is the NBA should make an adjustment on this issue.  If players are more skilled and athletic today why would adding a bit of bumping or hand-checking be a bad thing?  I don't think people want to seeing mugging like we do in some college games but I find it a little weird that the two levels appear to be officiated completely differently.

No. The NBA is incredibly physical. They’re just way, way more talented offensive players. And NBA reffing is a LOT better than college reffing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 06:29:25 PM »
No. The NBA is incredibly physical. They’re just way, way more talented offensive players. And NBA reffing is a LOT better than college reffing.

But should they allow hand checking?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 06:32:17 PM »

No.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 06:49:54 PM »

No. Why limit some of the greatest athletes in the world from displaying their abilities?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 06:57:44 PM »
It was taken out of the NBA game after final scores in the playoff games were in the 70's.    It was taken out to encourage freedom of movement on the perimeter and to allow talented offensive players to score more. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 07:34:35 PM »
No, but maybe get rid of the defensive 3 second rule. If the defense wants to pack the lane and dare the offense to shoot from outside, let them.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 07:49:56 PM »
That's an interesting thought. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 06:32:58 AM »
as physical as the nba is, it hasn't affected the scoring at all.  note not only the high team scores, but individual scoring is up as well.  3 point arc?  screw that!  these guys are popping from 35+ feet if ya don't get a hand in their face.

they should put a rule in for half court shots...what? 5 points? that would really make things interesting.  team is down 4 (2 possessions?)  yeah right!  here comes steph ;D 
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback