collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale  (Read 12026 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2021, 09:28:20 AM »

I might warn him against the possibility of becoming a grumpy old sweater vest

Biggest single deterrent to a Marquette education.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
Yet, no one has answered my question. Would you send your kid to MU for $60k yearly knowing the crime stats of the campus and surrounding area, hey?

Yes.  As stated many times, my current Junior in college daughter desperately wanted to attend, but ended up elsewhere largely money related.
Yes.  My niece is a Junior at Marquette now and my brother and sister-in-law graduated in 1993.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2021, 09:40:12 AM »
Not to get too far afield, but it's interesting how certain media networks have brainwashed their audience (mostly older, suburban and rural) to believe urban crime is far more frightening than a contagious disease that's about 40-50 times more likely to kill them

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »
He is looking back with sepia tinged fondness to his youth.  It is typical to edit the bad parts out, unless of course, it can make you feel heroic.    This is fairly universal once you reach a certain age.

I allowed my daughter to make her own college choice.   She chose Ypsilanti.  If my son chooses Marquette, I will worry far more about the $60k than I will the neighborhood.   

So sad on both counts. MU was a blue collar school in my day where scholarships were not necessary due to the fact it was affordable and within reach for most working class (i.e. non-professional) families.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2021, 09:52:27 AM »
Yet, no one has answered my question. Would you send your kid to MU for $60k yearly knowing the crime stats of the campus and surrounding area, hey?

I did.  And IMO the neighborhood around campus is way better than it was when I was in school in the late 80s.  Marquette did just as you stated.  They bought up the local properties around campus and cleaned them up.

But they didn't build a wall.  Why offer an urban experience than cut yourself off from that experience?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »

I might warn him against dentistry as a career, too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
Works very well at Fordham.

My daughter toured Fordham last year.  In addition to the fence, I felt like there had to be some sort of invisible soundproof bubble over the campus as well LOL.  It was quiet, you could hear the birds chirping, very peaceful.  As soon as you stepped outside of their campus gates, it was high decibel Bronx. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
My daughter just applied......

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
Not to get too far afield, but it's interesting how certain media networks have brainwashed their audience (mostly older, suburban and rural) to believe urban crime is far more frightening than a contagious disease that's about 40-50 times more likely to kill them
Urban crime...and immigrants...and muslims...and black people...and terrorists massing at the southern border...and on and on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
Fear.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2021, 10:52:18 AM »
Sheesh.  A couple people here sound like Madison fans.  Or WIAA people from outside of Milwaukee that are scared of putting a State Tournament on in Milwaukee.  "We can't go into big, bad, scary Milwaukee.  We won't come out alive!"

Went to Marquette High, then Marquette U, and have commuted through "the hood" for the last 8 years.  Can count the number of times I felt even mildly uncomfortable on one hand.  Bad drivers are by far the "scariest" thing I experience on a "regular" basis.  But I experience that just as much in Tosa as I do in "the hood."

By and large, use common sense and you'll be completely fine.  Sure, every once in a while you might be in a sticky situation through no fault of your own.  But that's true of anywhere in America.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »
Urban crime...and immigrants...and muslims...and black people...and terrorists massing at the southern border...and on and on.
^This. Old men terrified of a campus and city that is much, much safer than it was then they attended all because of the constant disinformation they listen to.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »

Fox News has made boomers afraid of their shadows.  Because it might not be a white person.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2021, 11:29:14 AM »
IBTL
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
Now, but I lived the first 28 years of my life living on 29th and Wisconsin Ave. in a 5th floor walk up. Attended elementary school on 27th and Wisconsin Ave. Jr. high was at Walker Jr. High at 32nd and Mitchell. High school was at West Division on 23th and Highland, now known as School of the Arts, hey?

Ah, so you agree.  Not your whole life.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »

Nothing sells quite like fear of the other.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »

And none of them were Marquette students, faculty, or staff.

Dahmer living close to campus did not affect the crime rate at Marquette. His apartment was affordable and close to where he worked.  It just so happens that it was close to campus.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »
Milwaukee homicide rate ...
1991: 25.6 per 100,000
2020: 16.4 per 100,000

Pakuni, where did you get those stats from?

I found this one:

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is among the U.S. cities with the highest homicide rates. There were a total of 191 murders reported in the city in 2020, or 32.4 for every 100,000 people — well above the national homicide rate of 6.5 murders per 100,000.

https://247wallst.com/city/milwaukee-wi-reported-one-of-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/

Ludum habemus.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
Jeezzz!  I was there 1987 thru 1991 and there was plenty of good old fashioned street crime.  Including Dahmer walking past my apartment every day on 15-1/2 & Kilbourn and having a fake gun pulled on us sitting outside on our Porch.  Every visit the last 15-20 years I've said this is not the Milwaukee I remember, it's way better.  My niece is there now and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  My brother also an alum said it's better than when we were there.
How do you know this? Were you two friends?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
Pakuni, where did you get those stats from?

I found this one:

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is among the U.S. cities with the highest homicide rates. There were a total of 191 murders reported in the city in 2020, or 32.4 for every 100,000 people — well above the national homicide rate of 6.5 murders per 100,000.

https://247wallst.com/city/milwaukee-wi-reported-one-of-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/

2020 number:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »
Another thing St. Louis is #1 at.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »

Gotta be good at something.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »
Gotta be good at something.

92% of murders in St. Louis occur when someone says they’d trade Yadier Molina for Mike Trout
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2021, 10:09:31 PM »
92% of murders in St. Louis occur when someone says they’d trade Yadier Molina for Mike Trout

You're often funny, Unk, but THAT was really effen funny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »

St. Louis and Baltimore don’t include county data as do other cities in the stats. So instead of rates in the 100’s, those two places will often be high on the list. They are certainly not absent of their share of crime as is the case many other places, including those of the people reading the board.

But Rent free. Trolls troll.

As for the actual topic beyond racists and whomever else, etc…

The Catholic Knights building is fine and in a good location for a Marquette purchase.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:22:23 AM by shoothoops »

feedback