[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale  (Read 12379 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
You admit they're trolls yet you still respond.  That says something, but not what you think it does.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2021, 08:35:25 AM »
I moved to Chicago to escape the violence in Milwaukee.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2021, 08:41:27 AM »
You admit they're trolls yet you still respond.  That says something, but not what you think it does.

I think you have that backwards.

I responded to the thread topic, (this one is Catholic Knights building) as I usually do. I saw a social validation troll along the way and corrected their misinformation. I’m happy to talk about a wide variety of places, people, things, topics that seem to bother some other people.

Milwaukee, Chicago, (places I’ve lived) Detroit or wherever the people in the thread are from all have their fair share of crime. There’s currently a several page thread here discussing Milwaukee crime. I don’t feel any urge to troll. If I was bothered I would. I’m not. Trolling says more about the people who troll than the people places or things they troll.

Again, as for the actual topic, Marquette  can buy the Catholic Knights Building, (I’m familiar with the building) renovate it, and use it for housing. And it would be just fine.

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2021, 09:06:12 AM »
I think you have that backwards.

I responded to the thread topic, (this one is Catholic Knights building) as I usually do. I saw a social validation troll along the way and corrected their misinformation. I’m happy to talk about a wide variety of places, people, things, topics that seem to bother some other people.

Milwaukee, Chicago, (places I’ve lived) Detroit or wherever the people in the thread are from all have their fair share of crime. There’s currently a several page thread here discussing Milwaukee crime. I don’t feel any urge to troll. If I was bothered I would. I’m not. Trolling says more about the people who troll than the people places or things they troll.

Again, as for the actual topic, Marquette  can buy the Catholic Knights Building, (I’m familiar with the building) renovate it, and use it for housing. And it would be just fine.

LOL.  Four paragraphs.  (None of which I am bothering to read.)

You never fail to disappoint.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2021, 09:29:23 AM »

LOL.  Four paragraphs.  (None of which I am bothering to read.)

You never fail to disappoint.

Of course you read it, again. And responded, again. Neither of which were about the topic itself, so you gaslighted instead.

Anything in your post about the Catholic Knights Building for sale? Nope.

I also posted about New York this week. Somehow that one received crickets.

Anything in your posts rwplying to me about the Catholic Knights building for sale? Nope.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
Molina sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
The Catholic Knights Building doesn't respect the Cardinal Way.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
He is looking back with sepia tinged fondness to his youth.  It is typical to edit the bad parts out, unless of course, it can make you feel heroic.    This is fairly universal once you reach a certain age.

I allowed my daughter to make her own college choice.   She chose Ypsilanti.  If my son chooses Marquette, I will worry far more about the $60k than I will the neighborhood.   

I might warn him against the possibility of becoming a grumpy old sweater vest

Both my wife and I considered EMU in the 90’s. Her parents vetoed it after the tour, my parents and I in and we didn’t stop to do the tour. MU was fine. As they told us at Preview, be street smart, don’t go certain places alone. That can be said about any campus. A girl was murdered at Columbia not too long ago, I don’t think that means people will or should stop going there.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2021, 12:39:27 PM »
Grand Valley State is nearby.   TAMU knows it well.    It is in the middle of a cornfield with a small town next door.    They have shootings there, too.   Muggings.   Sexual assaults.    But the county doesn't have the same resources as Milwaukee does.    Or Madison.    There is crime in the city.   There is crime in the country.    I just saw an article that after Wayne County (Detroit) the next 10 counties for highest gun crimes per capita in Michigan are all in the Upper Peninsula.    Michigan Tech.   Northern Michigan.   Lake Superior State.   
    It comes down to what an individual student wants to study and what environment they want to do it in.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
those damn guns just running around shooting everything in sight all over the country it seems
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »
those damn guns just running around shooting everything in sight all over the country it seems

5 of 10, not your worst, not your best
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
My daughter was going to apply to university of Texas, but no more. She says it’s too dangerous in Texas.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2021, 03:43:24 PM »

We need more of them.

If every man, woman and child over 3 had a gun and carried it in public -- obviously loaded with no safeties on, because what good is a gun if you can't kill somebody instantly? -- just imagine how safe we'd all be!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2021, 10:52:14 PM »
At the game tonight, I sat next to a high-ranking person in Marquette's finance department.

They told us that Marquette isn't interested in the building because it's in pretty bad shape and it isn't expected to last too much longer.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2021, 11:49:17 PM »
it's in pretty bad shape and it isn't expected to last too much longer.

The same is probably true of many Scoopers!

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2021, 09:38:14 AM »
So, first you cite personal experience to tell us how much things have changed there ... except that here you say you haven't lived anywhere near "da hood" for decades, nu?

It's a city. There is crime. Less than some cities, more than others.

But I actually agree with you that the more stuff in the blocks surrounding the campus Marquette buys, the better.

I wonder if instead of buying land adjacent to campus, marquette could incentivize people buying and living in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Washington university in st. Louis (not making this about st. Louis, sorry everyone) has a program where employees can get a lump of cash from the university If the employee buys a primary residence in a designated neighborhood. If memory serves it could be up to $10k. That's a lot of dough if you're a young professional, buying their first house, in a not so great neighborhood where prices are already lower.

The program took over a decade to really show results, but it definitely stabilized the neighborhoods near the washu undergrad and medical school campuses. And it must benefit the school somewhat, they just expanded the program to include quite a few more neighborhoods.

Washu has a lot more money than marquette and can afford to take a punt like this. But if marquette is serious about making campus feel safer, this might be a good option. Might be a better long term solution than pumping more money into security.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »

I wonder if instead of buying land adjacent to campus, marquette could incentivize people buying and living in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Washington university in st. Louis (not making this about st. Louis, sorry everyone) has a program where employees can get a lump of cash from the university If the employee buys a primary residence in a designated neighborhood. If memory serves it could be up to $10k. That's a lot of dough if you're a young professional, buying their first house, in a not so great neighborhood where prices are already lower.

The program took over a decade to really show results, but it definitely stabilized the neighborhoods near the washu undergrad and medical school campuses. And it must benefit the school somewhat, they just expanded the program to include quite a few more neighborhoods.

Washu has a lot more money than marquette and can afford to take a punt like this. But if marquette is serious about making campus feel safer, this might be a good option. Might be a better long term solution than pumping more money into security.

That's an outstanding plan, and I'm glad it has worked at Wash U.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2021, 09:57:44 AM »
I think those types of programs work better if the neighborhood is more "transitional" in nature.  It probably could have worked in the 70s or early 80s, but the housing stock now is just so poor. 

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
Are there other schools, particularly urban and Jesuit ones, with similar programs that you know of? Just curious.

I agree re: the housing stock. I think the area to the north of marquette could benefit from a program like this. Maybe to the west but I don't think there is a lot there. East (downtown) and south (highway) are non starters.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2021, 10:20:10 AM »
Are there other schools, particularly urban and Jesuit ones, with similar programs that you know of? Just curious.

I agree re: the housing stock. I think the area to the north of marquette could benefit from a program like this. Maybe to the west but I don't think there is a lot there. East (downtown) and south (highway) are non starters.

You mean like the program Yale has had with New Haven since 1994?

https://your.yale.edu/work-yale/benefits/yale-signature-benefits/homebuyer-program

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
You mean like the program Yale has had with New Haven since 1994?

https://your.yale.edu/work-yale/benefits/yale-signature-benefits/homebuyer-program

This is cool.  How would you compare the neighborhood around Yale to the neighborhood around Marquette?

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2021, 10:45:34 AM »
Wow, yale's program is really strong. Much more money involved than what washu offers (https://sustainability.wustl.edu/).

Probably not a coincidence that these are being offered by schools with massive endowments.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2021, 11:05:46 AM »

This is cool.  How would you compare the neighborhood around Yale to the neighborhood around Marquette?

In the 90s I would compare similar to neighborhood around Marquette. 
The South, East & West parts of campus are downtown New Haven and we're Ok then and have been very hot properties the last 10-15 years.  Benefited town and university.  Yale built two new residence halls there as well as another building (security and student health I think?).  The city rebuilt the Farmington Canal bike and running trail through that part.  North isn't as bad as 20 years ago .  My understanding a lot employees live in New Haven to take advantage.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2021, 12:26:47 PM »
At the game tonight, I sat next to a high-ranking person in Marquette's finance department.

They told us that Marquette isn't interested in the building because it's in pretty bad shape and it isn't expected to last too much longer.

I'm surprised that the condition of the building is a significant consideration. I would think that the location/land would be far more important than figuring out what to do with the building itself until they decide on a more permanent use.  I would bet money that if MU doesn't buy it now, they are the next owners after whoever does buy it now.

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2021, 12:49:59 PM »
I'm surprised that the condition of the building is a significant consideration. I would think that the location/land would be far more important than figuring out what to do with the building itself until they decide on a more permanent use.  I would bet money that if MU doesn't buy it now, they are the next owners after whoever does buy it now.

Pretty expensive piece of property hemmed in on three sides by Aurora and the interstate and a building that would have to be maintained or razed. There would be much cheaper ways to expand the campus footprint.

feedback