[Today at 12:56:44 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale  (Read 12023 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
It's gotten much worse.

You may be right, but outside of a copy and paste of a police blotter sent from Doc McStuffins, where is the evidence?

Again, I’m pretty sure we overlapped at MU for a bit, and it wasn’t ☀️ and 🌈’s in the late 90s, but we also didn’t have twitter, cable news, facebook to ampifly every incident.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2021, 09:23:47 PM »
You may be right, but outside of a copy and paste of a police blotter sent from Doc McStuffins, where is the evidence?

Again, I’m pretty sure we overlapped at MU for a bit, and it wasn’t ☀️ and 🌈’s in the late 90s, but we also didn’t have twitter, cable news, facebook to ampifly every incident.

When doc, Goose, and chick weigh in on campus related things, I trust them.

My 4 years in the late 90s, I only remember 1 big incident, IIRC it was a shooting in the summer of 2000(?).  I never felt scared of being on campus or walking around drunk to the various drinking spots (15th and Clyburn, 18th or 19th and wells, the fruit cake palace on 22nd.) 

The worst thing that happened to me was the overnight gas station guy at 15th and state put a bad spell on me one night, dude has some serious powers in the spirit world.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »
When doc, Goose, and chick weigh in on campus related things, I trust them.

My 4 years in the late 90s, I only remember 1 big incident, IIRC it was a shooting in the summer of 2000(?).  I never felt scared of being on campus or walking around drunk to the various drinking spots (15th and Clyburn, 18th or 19th and wells, the fruit cake palace on 22nd.) 

The worst thing that happened to me was the overnight gas station guy at 15th and state put a bad spell on me one night, dude has some serious powers in the spirit world.

That's what silly people do.  They listen to anecdotal evidence and treat it as 'what they're hearing'.  The rest of the world uses things like data and statistics to determine what is actually happening.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
“Nothing happened to me therefore campus was safe.  Now people are telling me it’s unsafe therefore it is unsafe.”

Marquette is required to produce crime reports annually. The 2021 one online doesn’t show anything out of the ordinary but it doesn’t report trends. And maybe 2022 will be different. I guess we will see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2021, 06:26:38 AM »
If you were half as smart and knowledgeable as you think you are, you'd still be an idiot, but keep putting your head in the sand and pretend that MU isn't concerned about crime near campus.

If I was out here to impress you, I'd probably just pretend to agree with you on everything.  Obviously, we don't agree.  But your buddy here says a LOT of problematic stuff, and if you were half as intelligent or as funny as you think you are, you'd probably stop going out of your way to defend it.  Unless you agree with it.  Which, by all means, out yourself if that is the case.

I'm sure Marquette is concerned, and always will be, but that is the reality of the world we live in.  Marquette is no different from when I was in school.  People get robbed, cars get broken into, and there are shootings.  It's a city.  That used to be a point of pride. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2021, 06:42:15 AM »
A symptom of growing old and watching too much Fox.  You become afraid of everything and angry about it
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2021, 07:13:55 AM »
A symptom of growing old and watching too much Fox.  You become afraid of everything and angry about it

Fear and control, aina?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2021, 07:49:57 AM »
Can’t this all be correct? Anecdotally, being in Milwaukee I see far more people racing down the streets, absolute reckless driving, almost been obliterated a time or two. Seems substantially less safe. I never had an issue at MU in the mid-90’s and lived at 22nd & Wells. My Buddy was assaulted at gun point on campus, gimme all you got, get on your knees kinda thing. We are hearing constant stories about smash and grabs, assaults, shootings, so maybe we feel like it’s less safe. Maybe statistically it is less safe, maybe it isn’t, stats lie. Some people will feel safe at MU, others will not. It doesn’t make either weaker or stronger than the other, it’s a matter of perspective. I never felt unsafe, but I also was relatively smart on where and when I acted a fool. I will say I feel slightly less safe on 145, but that is wholly due to the driving issues around town. Honestly, this argument seems like a waste of energy. MU is certainly aware and concerned with the safety around campus, just looks what’s been done the past 25-50 years. Will the real or perceived safety deter some from coming to MU, probably, it has since day one. Will the price tag, probably, it has from day one. Will the religious aspect, probably, it has from day one. For some.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
4evers' ride?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2021, 08:01:49 AM »
Can’t this all be correct? Anecdotally, being in Milwaukee I see far more people racing down the streets, absolute reckless driving, almost been obliterated a time or two. Seems substantially less safe. I never had an issue at MU in the mid-90’s and lived at 22nd & Wells. My Buddy was assaulted at gun point on campus, gimme all you got, get on your knees kinda thing. We are hearing constant stories about smash and grabs, assaults, shootings, so maybe we feel like it’s less safe. Maybe statistically it is less safe, maybe it isn’t, stats lie. Some people will feel safe at MU, others will not. It doesn’t make either weaker or stronger than the other, it’s a matter of perspective. I never felt unsafe, but I also was relatively smart on where and when I acted a fool. I will say I feel slightly less safe on 145, but that is wholly due to the driving issues around town. Honestly, this argument seems like a waste of energy. MU is certainly aware and concerned with the safety around campus, just looks what’s been done the past 25-50 years. Will the real or perceived safety deter some from coming to MU, probably, it has since day one. Will the price tag, probably, it has from day one. Will the religious aspect, probably, it has from day one. For some.

The bolded is exactly the point.  Marquette is in a city between downtown and a transitional neighborhood.  Just like it has been for 25-30 years, if not longer.  Marquette is clearly concerned about safety, and you are right, it's not going to be for everyone.

But crime is going to ebb and flow.  4ever, et. al. having rosy views of the past and telling anecdotal stories how safe it used to be isn't accurate either.  I mean, someone (not a student) was killed two blocks from my apartment when I was on campus.  I don't use that as some sort of evidence that the place was crime-ridden when I was a student.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2021, 08:03:19 AM »

Fox did a story on crime at Marquette?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2021, 08:56:35 AM »
That's what silly people do.  They listen to anecdotal evidence and treat it as 'what they're hearing'.  The rest of the world uses things like data and statistics to determine what is actually happening.

But a lot of people are saying ...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »

Marquette is in a city between downtown and a transitional neighborhood.  Just like it has been for 25-30 years, if not longer.  Marquette is clearly concerned about safety, and you are right, it's not going to be for everyone.

Brother Fluff:

You hit it right on the head.

Milwaukee has undergone a significant economic dislocation during the past 50 years. The industry that powered jobs and economic opportunity on the North and South sides is largely gone. The people aren't and the lack of economic opportunity has spawned numerous social problems.

Add to that the fact that Milwaukee is indeed a tale of two cities -- the relative affluence of the east side and western neighborhoods/suburbs and the poverty of the Northwest Side. Marquette is the community that is sandwiched between the haves and have notes and so, one is going to get the problems that come with being in a transitional geography.

The solution is much like the illegal immigration solution. You can build the proverbial 20 foot wall around Marquette (as at least one poster suggested) and wall the university off from the problem. The problem won't go away but as long as you are keeping yourself from being part of the community, you may be able hide from it. Or, the intellectual bandwidth of the university can combine with social and economic development agencies in the city, county and state to truly address roadblocks and foster opportunity.

Years ago, America Magazine made the same point about illegal immigration. It isn't going to be solved until the basic economic weaknesses of the immigrants home countries are addressed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 10:42:41 AM by dgies9156 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
No.  You've created a 'problem' out of thin air (as usual) because you're a closeted racist.

i had to pull my hood off to make sure i was reading this correctly...God you are an idiot and getting worse. 

what ziggy said times 1000
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2021, 07:03:08 PM »
  i had to pull my hood off to make sure i was reading this correctly...God you are an idiot and getting worse. 

8 of 10

Ellipses are always enjoyed by all.  The self-awareness disappeared quickly which made up for the self-deferential opening salvo.  The spaces before the last sentence are a craftsman at work.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2021, 09:13:02 PM »

...what color hood was it, rocket?     

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2021, 10:06:47 PM »
  i had to pull my hood off to make sure i was reading this correctly

You're lucky that your all-time favorite WH occupant made hoods optional.

"Jews will not replace us!" chanted some very fine people.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2021, 06:11:11 AM »

If you're the ones calling me an idiot, I know I'm on the right path.

feedback