[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale  (Read 12369 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: "Catholic Knights" Building For Sale
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2021, 08:38:06 AM »
I don't know if crime on/near campus is more or less than it was when we oldsters were in college ... and it's immaterial. 1976 and 1979 and 1982 and 1985 and 1990 are meaningless today.

What I do know is that in 2018 (Class of '22), the school set a record for freshman enrollment.

https://marquettewire.org/3998227/news/record-breaking-enrollment-numbers-in-class-of-2022/

And enrollment was down only a couple hundred students the following year.

https://marquettewire.org/4014920/news/total-enrollment-down-for-the-class-of-2023-college-of-communication-on-the-rise/

Then came the pandemic, which reduced enrollments at universities and colleges across the country. While Marquette's freshman enrollment declined significantly, its retention rate of students who started in fall 2019 was 88%, and the 6-year graduation rate of first-year students who started in fall 2014 was 84%, the second highest in Marquette history.

https://today.marquette.edu/2020/09/fall-2020-enrollment-retention-and-graduation-rate-statistics-now-available/

So up until the pandemic, a record number of parents were seemingly oblivious to the crime that was ruining Marquette. And even months into the pandemic, thousands of parents were still paying big money to let their kids remain at Marquette despite their precious children looking into the teeth of death every day.

So to answer Doc Dribble's question from earlier in this fine thread: Yes, thousands of parents would pay tens of thousands of dollars for their kids to attend the crime-infested Marquette campus. Stoopid them ... they apparently value the education and they realize that crime can happen anywhere, anytime. Either that, or they hate their kids.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »
Yet, no one has answered my question. Would you send your kid to MU for $60k yearly knowing the crime stats of the campus and surrounding area, hey?

I wouldn't send my kid to MU for $60K annually but it has nothing to do with the crime stats of the area surrounding campus.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »
Anyone that thinks crime at MU and surrounding areas is similar to their time at MU has bumped their head. The crime has become more brazen and frequent in MKE and I do worry about other people that have kids on campus. I struggle with people that do not want to admit crime is out of hand at MU and MKE general. I hate what is going on in our city and think MU does have an issue on it’s hands.

Its all relative though.  Are things getting quite bad in certain areas of MKE, even MU adjacent?  Sure.  Does that mean Marquette campus safety has fallen precipitously?  I don't think so. 

I went to school at Miami U in Ohio.  Its literally an affluent campus in a quintessential college town surrounded by cornfields.  I fully admit there were numerous times where I stumbled around blind drunk on weekends that would have been more dangerous if I had been in a city, whether it was Depaul or NYU or Marquette.  That being said, in my years there, I knew 2 kids stabbed in 2 different incidents in bars in town.  3 different kids were killed being hit by trains while drunk.  A frat house was the victim of an armed robbery and another student was killed in a domestic incident with her local, non student BF in an off campus house. 

But my best friend from HS went to Marquette.  I spent about 20 weekends in Milwaukee on campus with him over the years.  I also got stupidly drunk or acted recklessly on or near campus at times and was perfectly fine.

Danger can happen everywhere.  Parents need to educate and caution their kids regardless of where they go.  Marquette isn't U of Chicago where my cousin was strongly cautioned to not venture outside the gates alone at night.  But otherwise, use good choices and sound judgement, keep your eyes open and aware, and I'd have no issue sending kids there.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
I wouldn't send my kid to MU for $60K annually but it has nothing to do with the crime stats of the area surrounding campus.

Dis right here.

4everwarriors

• All American
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
Anyone that thinks crime at MU and surrounding areas is similar to their time at MU has bumped their head. The crime has become more brazen and frequent in MKE and I do worry about other people that have kids on campus. I struggle with people that do not want to admit crime is out of hand at MU and MKE general. I hate what is going on in our city and think MU does have an issue on it’s hands.

according to lightweight, much of the blame is on the victim for not being more careful... if they would only tie the merchandise down better and hire more security.  that's like blaming the scantily dressed person for getting raped.  what's the matter with people who are supposed to be elected leaders? 

"We still have retailers that won’t institute plans like having security officers in their stores, making sure that they’ve got cameras that are actually operational, locking up their merchandise at night, chaining high-end bags. These purses can be something that is attracting a lot of organized retail theft units,” Lightfoot said Monday.

not to mention repeat offenders and felons in possession of (GASP!!!) guns. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2021, 02:20:35 PM »
  according to lightweight, much of the blame is on the victim for not being more careful... if they would only tie the merchandise down better and hire more security.  that's like blaming the scantily dressed person for getting raped.  what's the matter with people who are supposed to be elected leaders? 

"We still have retailers that won’t institute plans like having security officers in their stores, making sure that they’ve got cameras that are actually operational, locking up their merchandise at night, chaining high-end bags. These purses can be something that is attracting a lot of organized retail theft units,” Lightfoot said Monday.

not to mention repeat offenders and felons in possession of (GASP!!!) guns.

Hide out for the rest of your life then.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »
Hide out for the rest of your life then.

either you're being simplistically flippant or you ignore/deny the problem.  neither are solutions.  you guys don't like the solutions.  i understand MU trying to "tip-toe" around the crime issue on campus because it's really really bad PR.  they better be addressing it very aggressively behind the scenes because like the darrell brooks's of the world, you can only sweep them under the carpet for so long before really bad things really happen.  not punishing bad behavior only encourages more of it.  did they think letting brooks off on light bail, he was going to suddenly turn his life around?  when people don't feel safe going somewhere...they stop going. 

san francisco, imho, is/WAS one of the coolest cities in the US. i've been there many times.  the closest i will ever get to going back there will be on the internet.  would you send your 18 year old daughter or son to a city that is having crime issues?  you know, the ones we actually know about?  if something bad were to happen, would you be able to live with yourself?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2021, 04:06:20 PM »
either you're being simplistically flippant or you ignore/deny the problem.  neither are solutions.  you guys don't like the solutions.  i understand MU trying to "tip-toe" around the crime issue on campus because it's really really bad PR.  they better be addressing it very aggressively behind the scenes because like the darrell brooks's of the world, you can only sweep them under the carpet for so long before really bad things really happen.  not punishing bad behavior only encourages more of it.  did they think letting brooks off on light bail, he was going to suddenly turn his life around?  when people don't feel safe going somewhere...they stop going. 

san francisco, imho, is/WAS one of the coolest cities in the US. i've been there many times.  the closest i will ever get to going back there will be on the internet.  would you send your 18 year old daughter or son to a city that is having crime issues?  you know, the ones we actually know about?  if something bad were to happen, would you be able to live with yourself?

Would I send my 18 year old daughter or son to a city that is having a crime issue?  What if I send them to a city without a “crime issue” and they get hooked on meth or a silo falls on them?  How could I live with myself then?  What if I send them into the military and they die in a war?  What if I send them to become dentists and they become Q adherents?  What if, what if

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2021, 04:10:42 PM »
What hairy wet cats.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2021, 04:16:35 PM »

I have never sent my adult children anywhere.  They went places on their own free will.  That has included places like Milwaukee, Chicago, Seattle, Denver and Houston.  And they have managed to live!

Better than living a life in fear IMO.  You got one life.  Might as well live it.

But what's wrong with San Francisco? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
Would I send my 18 year old daughter or son to a city that is having a crime issue?  What if I send them to a city without a “crime issue” and they get hooked on meth or a silo falls on them?  How could I live with myself then?  What if I send them into the military and they die in a war?  What if I send them to become dentists and they become Q adherents?  What if, what if

what the hell is a "Q" adherent??

i pray to God your kids learn from your mistakes and don't develop the same drug problems you have 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »

i pray to God your kids learn from your mistakes and don't develop the same drug problems you have

7 of 10

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

That's qute, roQQet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »
My daughter went to college in Ypsilanti and currently lives in the Baltimore/DC metroplex.   Crime is everywhere.  Grow a set.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »

No.  You've created a 'problem' out of thin air (as usual) because you're a closeted racist.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »
Not that closeted.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »

😆

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »
No.  You've created a 'problem' out of thin air (as usual) because you're a closeted racist.

If you were half as smart and knowledgeable as you think you are, you'd still be an idiot, but keep putting your head in the sand and pretend that MU isn't concerned about crime near campus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »
When hasn't MU been concerned about crime in the neighborhood?   This isn't new.  It isn't substantially different.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2021, 06:23:55 PM »
When hasn't MU been concerned about crime in the neighborhood?   This isn't new.  It isn't substantially different.

Yep.   Ziggy, being the really smart guy he is, should know this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »

It's gotten much worse.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2021, 07:08:49 PM »
It's gotten much worse.

Psst. It hasn’t.

You’re just hearing about it now.

feedback