[Today at 12:55:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187662 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #450 on: June 19, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
I don't get bowl games, barely understand the allure of the "prestigious" ones like the Rose Bowl, but the Meinecke Car Car Bowl? Cannot fathom it.

I am sure you would care if basketball had bowl games instead of post-season tournaments.
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #451 on: June 19, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
I am sure you would care if basketball had bowl games instead of post-season tournaments.

Maybe?

But it's sort of the same thing we talk about when the CBI comes calling at the end of a terrible season. People talk themselves into the NIT (and not everyone) being worth it to play in, but nobody's out there touting "participated in a meaningless and expensive exhibition game or games that nobody cares about" as a benchmark for success like college football does.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
I don't get bowl games, barely understand the allure of the "prestigious" ones like the Rose Bowl, but the Meinecke Car Car Bowl? Cannot fathom it.
I'm not a big football fan, but if you are, you only get 12 games a year to watch.  A bowl game gets you another game to watch against a solid team.  So I get it, even if it is not necessarily for me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2019, 02:43:22 PM »

It's bonus football.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »
okay, extra Saturday to drink before noon is as good a reason as any I've heard offered in defense of bowl games. I'll revise to "kinda get it, but still think it's dumb and will mock their goofy sponsors mercilessly."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #455 on: June 19, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
Bumpa stickas, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #456 on: June 19, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »

Totally agree with you, jf.

I haven't watched one second of a non-playoff bowl game for almost 20 years.

I guess I get that fans might want to see their team one more time, but unless gambling, why would somebody with no rooting interest care about N Illinois vs Sam Diego State in the Weed Eater Bowl?

I mean, I did watch some of our NIT games a couple years ago but I didn't watch one second of the NIT after we lost.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #457 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:06 PM »
Godfather II.  Incredibly dull movie and worst of the three by a long shot.

Disagree. II was great, "Best Picture" worthy. III was awful IMO.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #458 on: June 19, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
I'm an avid runner and stick to 5K races and would still find a half-marathon difficult.  Finishing would be easy, but running well not-so-much.
Most road races run a half or full marathon and a 5K plus I prefer to get to the post-race beer sooner.

I've done a few 10K's and hope to complete a half at some point. Not for time though!  I have the cardiovascular endurance but not so much for my body (back in particular) being able to take the pounding. I work at an Ironman a few years ago and was in awe of the ability of those individuals running a full marathon AFTER swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles.  That's why I "get" those who get the Ironman logo as a tattoo.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #459 on: June 19, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »

Agree 100%. Unless the bowl is one of the semi-finals or the national championship games they're all just meaningless exhibition games.

Every game in the NCAA Hoops Tourney leads to finding the champion. NIT = Bowl games - even the "big ones".

And for the "bonus football" I say who cares? The NFL is on and is light years a better product even though it's starting to lose it's luster with rules no one can follow.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2019, 07:29:00 PM »
I've done a few 10K's and hope to complete a half at some point. Not for time though!  I have the cardiovascular endurance but not so much for my body (back in particular) being able to take the pounding. I work at an Ironman a few years ago and was in awe of the ability of those individuals running a full marathon AFTER swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles.  That's why I "get" those who get the Ironman logo as a tattoo.

Two words: core strength.

I ran multiple marathons, half-marathons, 5K though 20K, the whole deal. Never had issues with endurance, knees, ankles, just a couple of minor achilles and plantar fascia issues. Then I ruptured a couple of discs and my running days were over. I thought it was the simple up and down force of the pounding, but I learned that my core/back muscles were too weak to keep my spine from moving back and forth, which eventually led to the rupture.

If I had known then what I know now....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #461 on: June 20, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
Guys who ridicule other people's athletic accomplishments, but brag about a team on which they just sit on the sidelines and tell other players what to do.     ;)
+1000. Half marathons are a great accomplishment. And Jaybee seems like a very unlikable tool. Rant over

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #462 on: June 20, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Totally agree with you, jf.

I haven't watched one second of a non-playoff bowl game for almost 20 years.

I guess I get that fans might want to see their team one more time, but unless gambling, why would somebody with no rooting interest care about N Illinois vs Sam Diego State in the Weed Eater Bowl?

I mean, I did watch some of our NIT games a couple years ago but I didn't watch one second of the NIT after we lost.

Bowl games draw strongish ratings for ESPN and fill inventory.  The biggest draw for bowl games is gambling.  Football’s rise in popularity has many reasons in our culture but I argue gambling is one of the biggest reasons.  You can gamble on all sports, but people see football as far less random and easier to “predict” than single baseball or basketball games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #463 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »

I've done two mini-triathlons.  1/3 mile swim (in the YMCA pool), 12 mile bike ride and 5K run.  I only practiced the swim and run part and did the bike ride on my steel mountain bike.  Fun stuff.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #464 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
+1000. Half marathons are a great accomplishment. And Jaybee seems like a very unlikable tool. Rant over

Seems like you’d be a big fan of tools?

Half marathons are a great accomplishment for some. Putting a sticker on your car bragging about it to the general public is something I don’t get.

I also don’t get prickly (nh) lettuce/greens for a salad. Super nasty. Must be healthy or something, cause the texture sucks.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #465 on: June 20, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »

I also don’t get prickly (nh) lettuce/greens for a salad. Super nasty. Must be healthy or something, cause the texture sucks.

I don't get why they put red lettuce in the Spring Mix.  It's always the first to go bad (by a long stretch), and then you have to throw the whole bag out.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #466 on: June 20, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
Glory holes.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #467 on: June 20, 2019, 11:39:56 AM »
I'm not talking about things that I haven't tried (e.g., Game of Thrones), but things that I have tried but just didn't enjoy.

Glory holes.

Given the source I probably shouldn't be surprised...but still...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #468 on: June 20, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »

Two words: core strength.

I ran multiple marathons, half-marathons, 5K though 20K, the whole deal. Never had issues with endurance, knees, ankles, just a couple of minor achilles and plantar fascia issues. Then I ruptured a couple of discs and my running days were over. I thought it was the simple up and down force of the pounding, but I learned that my core/back muscles were too weak to keep my spine from moving back and forth, which eventually led to the rupture.

If I had known then what I know now....

working on that! I've got the disc issues too (from my lifting days and overall body structure). I get cupping and accupuncture done frequently to help with the inflamation in my mid back when I'm running distance.  it's a good temporary solution. More planks!!!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #469 on: June 20, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »
I don't get why they put red lettuce in the Spring Mix.  It's always the first to go bad (by a long stretch), and then you have to throw the whole bag out.

Preach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #470 on: June 20, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
Modern haunted houses. Ever since they made the fire codes so strict that it can't be really dark they just don't have "it" anymore
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »

I agree.  My wife said to please stop buying as it just ends up in the compost pile.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
I agree.  My wife said to please stop buying as it just ends up in the compost pile.

In retrospect, I think I actually do get it.  It's a conspiracy run by Big Salad to increase sales.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
In retrospect, I think I actually do get it.  It's a conspiracy run by Big Salad to increase sales.

Yep. Big Salad has us right where it wants us.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »
Multi-level Marketing companies. It's like low key aspirational heroin.