collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186041 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #425 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
I thought their music was pretty decent but I wasn't a "fan". For their fans (those I knew anyway) it was about lifestyle as much (or more) as it was about the music.

More about a concert band versus a studio band?  I see some hate for U2 but they put on a fantastic live concert (or Super Bowl halftime show). I was at a U2 concert once and they played 22 encores and went till 2AM.  Amazing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #426 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
More about a concert band versus a studio band?  I see some hate for U2 but they put on a fantastic live concert (or Super Bowl halftime show). I was at a U2 concert once and they played 22 encores and went till 2AM.  Amazing.

Very much so. And "concert bands" have a lot of fans "all in" who tour with them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #427 on: June 17, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »
I never got the Dead either but figured I was too young for them. I tried to get into Phish when I got to MU upon the encouragement of friends but couldn't get into them either.

Phish, absolutely. I don't get it. They kinda suck. And a sucky song goes on for 2 hours.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #428 on: June 18, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
Phish, absolutely. I don't get it. They kinda suck. And a sucky song goes on for 2 hours.

And then the next song sounds exactly the same.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #429 on: June 18, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »
The modern day version, Dead and Company, just played two nights at Wrigley (both shows were fantastic) which is why you probably saw people at the airport wearing the shirts

That would probably explain it - it was O'Hare.  I saw the one, and then was surprised to see another just a couple minutes later.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #430 on: June 18, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »

I was always somewhere "in between" with U2.  I liked them and listened to quite a bit of their music when I was in high school, but would never have considered myself a huge fan.  I had always wanted to see them in concert, and passed it up a couple of times and regretted it.*  I finally saw them in 2017 on the Joshua Tree tour and it was absolutely a fantastic concert.  An unforgettable night with my oldest daughter.  And One Republic opened, which was also a great show.

*I also always wanted to see Tom Petty in concert, and really regret that I never did and won't have a chance.  Similar to U2, I'm not a huge fan.  But I've heard that his concerts were outstanding.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #431 on: June 18, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
*I also always wanted to see Tom Petty in concert, and really regret that I never did and won't have a chance. 

YES!  I was really close to pulling the trigger the last time he was at Summerfest in 2017, but we had already seen Paul Simon earlier and didn't feel like going twice. Because Petty toured all the time right?

Damn...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #432 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
And then the next song sounds exactly the same.

When you think about it, "Phish" is pretty much the perfect response to this topic.

Totally don't get the allure. And I love music of all types.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #433 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »

*I also always wanted to see Tom Petty in concert, and really regret that I never did and won't have a chance.  Similar to U2, I'm not a huge fan.  But I've heard that his concerts were outstanding.

First saw Petty and the Heartbreakers 35+ years ago when the were the opened for Bob Dylan. They did a set, Dylan did a set and they did a set together. Dylan was really good but Petty and his band stole the show. Became a big fan that night.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #434 on: June 18, 2019, 11:04:16 AM »
Love the Grateful Dead (and Dead & Co).

Phish sucks.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »

I saw him just months before he died. My first (and only) Petty show. It was a greatest hits show and he did not disappoint. It was a straight forward rock show. Mike Campbell impressed the hell out of me too.

I've seen U2 twice. I came away rather unimpressed during the 360 tour - it was more about the spectacle than the music.  The Joshua Tree show, however, was awesome. One of the defining albums of my childhood played live along with other great songs I grew up listening to. That show was about the music.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #436 on: June 18, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
I saw him just months before he died. My first (and only) Petty show. It was a greatest hits show and he did not disappoint. It was a straight forward rock show. Mike Campbell impressed the hell out of me too.

I've seen U2 twice. I came away rather unimpressed during the 360 tour - it was more about the spectacle than the music.  The Joshua Tree show, however, was awesome. One of the defining albums of my childhood played live along with other great songs I grew up listening to. That show was about the music.

Saw Petty a few times. I agree on Campbell. Outstanding guitarist. A lot like Steve Stevens, where you end up watching him more than paying attention to
Billy Idol.

Saw U2 on the original Joshua Tree tour in Chicago. Maybe the best concert I've seen. Very sparse stage - it was all about the music. They also used "local" bands as openers on the tour. At Rosemont, it was The BoDeans.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #437 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »
First saw Petty and the Heartbreakers 35+ years ago when the were the opened for Bob Dylan. They did a set, Dylan did a set and they did a set together. Dylan was really good but Petty and his band stole the show. Became a big fan that night.
Saw Petty in about 1978, when WLUP had a giveaway at a mall in Joliet, Illinois.  A friend of mine worked as a security guard and scored the tix without having to stand in line.  Saw him again in '80 and again at Summerfest in 2017.  The last one was great because I also got to see the Smithereens before Pat Dinizio died.  Petty and Mike Campbell always put on a great show.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

• All American
« Reply #438 on: June 18, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »
Godfather II.  Incredibly dull movie and worst of the three by a long shot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
Godfather II.  Incredibly dull movie and worst of the three by a long shot.
Clearly you haven't seen GF III.  GF II was fabulous.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2019, 02:37:44 PM »
Saw Petty a few times. I agree on Campbell. Outstanding guitarist. A lot like Steve Stevens, where you end up watching him more than paying attention to
Billy Idol.

Saw U2 on the original Joshua Tree tour in Chicago. Maybe the best concert I've seen. Very sparse stage - it was all about the music. They also used "local" bands as openers on the tour. At Rosemont, it was The BoDeans.
I think you mean Da Bodeans, as they were known when the played the mugrack.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
Clearly you haven't seen GF III.  GF II was fabulous.

I have.  The first time I watched II, I thought I must be missing something.  But I have seen it a couple times since, and frankly I think the story is slow and boring.  III isn't best picture worthy, but it's better than its reputation. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #442 on: June 18, 2019, 06:14:26 PM »
Star Wars...and the endless line of sequels/prequels.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #443 on: June 19, 2019, 09:56:16 AM »
I totally recommend watching Godfather I and II spliced together in chronological order. It was on TV once and I'm sure its floating around out on the interwebs somewhere. It is pretty cool .

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #444 on: June 19, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
Sticker on your car that says “13.1”. Oh, you could only do a half marathon, great - good celebration.

What’s next, “GED” ???
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #445 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
Sticker on your car that says “13.1”. Oh, you could only do a half marathon, great - good celebration.

What’s next, “GED” ???

Guys who ridicule other people's athletic accomplishments, but brag about a team on which they just sit on the sidelines and tell other players what to do.     ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »

What’s next, “GED” ???

no, GED would be the 0.0 stickers.  13.1 is still a hell of an accomplishment.

I have co-worker running a 100 mile race in a few days, in reality, he could look down at marathoners as inferior if you think 13.1 makes one inferior.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »

I have co-worker running a 100 mile race in a few days, in reality, he could look down at marathoners as inferior if you think 13.1 makes one inferior.

Agree 13.1 is no small feat. Also, who cares about what stickers people have on their cars.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »

I'm an avid runner and stick to 5K races and would still find a half-marathon difficult.  Finishing would be easy, but running well not-so-much.
Most road races run a half or full marathon and a 5K plus I prefer to get to the post-race beer sooner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »
I don't get bowl games, barely understand the allure of the "prestigious" ones like the Rose Bowl, but the Meinecke Car Car Bowl? Cannot fathom it.

feedback