[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186748 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #475 on: June 21, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »
People who always back into parking spots.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #476 on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »

And people who don't pull through.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #477 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »

This is just smart operating of a vehicle.

Parking lots most dangerous territory for drivers. It's lawless. People don't abide by speed limits nor parking space lines. Increasing your field of vision when you leave your parking spot by backing in prevents all possibility of an accident.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #478 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:43 AM »

I back into park spots for various reasons:
On sunny days when an open spot faces to the west so the tinted glass of the vehicle faces the afternoon sun in the summer. 
At sporting and other busy events that will let out at the same time making it easier to exit the parking spot
Parking garages because of visibility

What I don't get is when people get upset about someone backing in (not saying this is you).   I understand they have to wait an extra 12 seconds while the person backs in.  However, if the car has to back out later, a car would have to wait the same 12 seconds plus there's a higher risk of being backed into because the person leaving the spot may not be able to see cars and pedestrians as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #479 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »

Easier to get out.  Especially at a ball game.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
Backing into a spot is the best thing to do in winter in snowy conditions, this is one of the lessons my father ingrained into us when we learned to drive.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #481 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
Yeah, still don't get it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #482 on: June 21, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »

Parking lots most dangerous territory for drivers. It's lawless. People don't abide by speed limits nor parking space lines. Increasing your field of vision when you leave your parking spot by backing in prevents all possibility of an accident.

Back in or back out, you still have to reverse it.  Is it less lawless when you arrive at Costco? 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #483 on: June 21, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
I personally think it's easier to back out of a parking spot than into one.  With a backup camera set to the wide angle view, backing out isn't that hard.

A high traffic event, sporting event, or parking garage I might back in.  But typically I don't.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Cashier gets three one dollar bills from a customer. They spend several vital seconds flipping them around so that they are all showing the same side and in the same direction. EFFIN WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? Stop wasting time. I don't get it.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »

No.

I’ve had my car hit twice in the last 5 years by someone backing into a spot next to me.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »
Cashier gets three one dollar bills from a customer. They spend several vital seconds flipping them around so that they are all showing the same side and in the same direction. EFFIN WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? Stop wasting time. I don't get it.

You would not be a good software engineer.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
No.

I’ve had my car hit twice in the last 5 years by someone backing into a spot next to me.

Just because a lot of people can't drive worth a crap doesn't mean it's not smart.  ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »

OCD and impatience do not mix well.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2019, 05:08:01 PM »

Their manager likely requires the ordered bills when turning down the register at the end of the shift. Spend the time now to order your drawer so it’s faster when you clock out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
No.

Twice in five years is bad luck. Or something else. People with poor depth perception shouldn't be driving period less reversing into an empty space.

Back in or back out, you still have to reverse it.  Is it less lawless when you arrive at Costco? 

Again, as long as you are mentally able to perform the task, reversing into a stationary object (e.g curb) is much easier and safer than reversing into multiple moving objects (e.g. pedestrians, pass through vehicles).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »

For me, the question of backing in is situational.

If I am arriving and can see that there is nobody behind me, I often back in because I know it will be easy to back in, but I have no idea whether it will also be easy to back out. Maybe a tall vehicle will be blocking my view. Maybe a vehicle will be coming around a corner too fast. I can mitigate those things by backing in if I see it’s gonna be easy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »

For me, the question of backing in is situational.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »
Twice in five years is bad luck. Or something else. People with poor depth perception shouldn't be driving period less reversing into an empty space.

Again, as long as you are mentally able to perform the task, reversing into a stationary object (e.g curb) is much easier and safer than reversing into multiple moving objects (e.g. pedestrians, pass through vehicles).

Listen, we can all see it’s is easier and safer to pull out.  Yet, you still have to back in...reversing across two lanes of traffic at the Costco with your three point turn, with the same moving pedestrians with carts, etc. to get into your space. Why is that any safer?

If you pulled through two spaces like at a stadium, I get it...but in this case, you still have to back in with all the hurdles you mention...and if you lave to load your hatch, your cart is banging my car as you only have six inches to load.  For some reason this is more common in the South which maybe tells us something.

And why do many parking garages often ban backing into a space if it is so safe?  Often there is a building sewage pipe running across the garage that fits under a hood but not a hatch.

Also, I love the knobs that pull through surface lots with diagonal parking, pointed the wrong way into traffic.  Usually with a Badger bumper sticker on their vehicle.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »
"Listen, we can all see it’s is easier and safer to pull out."

We can all agree on half of dis, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »

Things I don't get - People who still use cash & checks.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2019, 10:21:43 PM »

What about people that don’t have access to digital currency (cards, etc).  I would rather pay cash if I can, too easy to rack up charges on cards and forget about it until the credit card bill arrives.  I either have the cash or don’t buy it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
What about people that don’t have access to digital currency (cards, etc).  I would rather pay cash if I can, too easy to rack up charges on cards and forget about it until the credit card bill arrives.  I either have the cash or don’t buy it.

My wife and I were at dinner with some friends 15 years younger than us (late 20’s’). When the bill came we put down cash for our half and one of our friends exclaimed “you use and carry cash?” It’s generational.

I’d rather use cash at a bar instead of having to retrieve my card and have to wait to do that. Just a preference.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:45:06 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #498 on: June 21, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »

Agree with Cheeks on this one. Wife and I take out cash at the beginning of every month and only use cards in emergency. Helps us stay on budget.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:04 PM »
Why I spend time on MUScoop.

feedback