collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2019  (Read 46555 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Golf 2019
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
What's a bucket list of courses you can actually play, in the Midwest (say within 8 hours of Chicago for definition purposes)?

Here is what I have currently, in no particular order:

Lawsonia
Sentryworld
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run
Erin Hills
Sand Valley property
Dubsdread
Harborside
Thunderhawk
Cantigny
Arcadia Bluffs
Forest Dunes
Treetops
French Lick ptoperty
Add Mistwood to the list. Great track.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
PTM

Have played all WI courses noted, with exception of a SentryWorld. Truthfully cannot wrong with any of them. Played Dubs last year and liked it a lot.

My only gripe with the top end ones noted is the cost. Forking our that kind of coin always gets me hot. I had not played Blackwolf in a decade or so until last August and was shocked how much they jacked up the price.

I agree. I've played all the IL courses on there, Erin and Blackwolf. They are all worth no more than $200+ tax in my opinion.

I did just pony up the $500 for Sawgrass, but I honestly think it was worth it. From bag drop to post round toilet paper, it was world class.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
What's a bucket list of courses you can actually play, in the Midwest (say within 8 hours of Chicago for definition purposes)?

Lawsonia
Sentryworld
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run
Erin Hills
Sand Valley property
Dubsdread
Harborside
Thunderhawk
Cantigny
Arcadia Bluffs
Forest Dunes
Treetops
French Lick ptoperty
The Bear/Wolverine.
The Loop at Forest Dunes.  Reversible course.  Played clockwise on one day, counterclockwise the next. 
Garland.   Tougher than Treetops, but without the views.  Also more remote.
Tullymore.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 03:57:40 PM »

Lawsonia
Sentryworld
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run
Erin Hills
Sand Valley property
Dubsdread
Harborside
Thunderhawk
Cantigny
Arcadia Bluffs
Forest Dunes
Treetops
French Lick ptoperty

The General

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
PTM

My biggest grip on the cost is who I am playing with. Last summer, on 95 degree day, my son and I played Erin Hills and were paired a couple celebrating husbands retirement. Super nice folks, but combination of weather and golf skills, made for a very long day.
Saving grace, I played my best round in years and shot an 81. My fear of the old guy or his wife having health issue really stressed me out on back nine.
Will add, it was a great gift from the wife to her husband. They were from MI, husband ran a bowling ally for post career gig and super nice. They were there for two nights and two rounds of golf and loved the thought behind the gift. Problem was, they did not know carts were not allowed or how much walking was needed.
Have to say it again, I did shot and 81😀

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
All hail Goose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
PTM

My biggest grip on the cost is who I am playing with. Last summer, on 95 degree day, my son and I played Erin Hills and were paired a couple celebrating husbands retirement. Super nice folks, but combination of weather and golf skills, made for a very long day.
Saving grace, I played my best round in years and shot an 81. My fear of the old guy or his wife having health issue really stressed me out on back nine.
Will add, it was a great gift from the wife to her husband. They were from MI, husband ran a bowling ally for post career gig and super nice. They were there for two nights and two rounds of golf and loved the thought behind the gift. Problem was, they did not know carts were not allowed or how much walking was needed.
Have to say it again, I did shot and 81😀

That is rough. Tip of the cap for getting through that round.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »
Got the email today. Didnt get selected to volunteer at the Ryder Cup in 2020.  Super bummed.

Same here.  However I did get an assignment to work Shotlink at the BMW Championship at Medinah.  Looking forward to that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Played my first round of 2019 today. It wasn't pretty ... though I did par the two toughest holes on the course. Don't ask about the other 16!

Also ... by sheer happenstance, I got paired up with a guy who turned out to be from Chicago. As we chatted during the course of the round, I learned that his sister-in-law went to both high school and elementary school with my son. She was even in the same group of HS friends who  went together to movies, etc. Small world!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
Played my first round of 2019 today. It wasn't pretty ... though I did par the two toughest holes on the course. Don't ask about the other 16!

Also ... by sheer happenstance, I got paired up with a guy who turned out to be from Chicago. As we chatted during the course of the round, I learned that his sister-in-law went to both high school and elementary school with my son. She was even in the same group of HS friends who  went together to movies, etc. Small world!

Butt buddies, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
has anyone played the talking stick courses ? 

wickenburg ranch is a dynamite troon course.  plus they didn't over seed last fall as everyone else had and everything was in great shape.  the trilogy golf club at vistancia in peoria is a gem

I’ve played both at Talking Stick a little while ago. I really liked them, especially the links course. I would recommend it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »
4ever

It is a small world. Get your game in shape!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
Played Harborside for like $40 in twilight hours late in the summer a few years back. It was awesome and a pretty good deal I thought, but hard as all hell.

Just ponied up for new iron set but anyone have any recommendations on Three Woods/drivers? Not looking to break the bank, cause I’m not nearly good enough to really tell the difference. Just something that’s durable and forgiving.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:15:37 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »
Played Harborside for like $40 in twilight hours late in the summer a few years back. It was awesome and a pretty good deal I thought, but hard as all hell.

Just got a new iron set but anyone have any recommendations on Three Woods/drivers? Not looking to break the bank, cause I’m not nearly good enough to really tell the difference. Just something that’s durable and forgiving.

Current best 'affordable' ($300) driver is Tour Edge EXS.   Fairway woods are pretty good, too, just not the same relative screaming bargain. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
Current best 'affordable' ($300) driver is Tour Edge EXS.   Fairway woods are pretty good, too, just not the same relative screaming bargain.

Yea, I certainly invested in my irons, even got new grips for them which I’ve never done before.

I just have a tough time justifying the cost of getting a driver when I’m hitting a hybrid off the tee half the time anyways.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2019, 08:33:34 PM »
If you are hitting it far enough and keeping it on the short grass, don't bother with a driver.  I no longer hit it far enough to do away with the driver.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2019, 08:06:03 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
Figured out the key to getting new clubs for cheap. Just buy the old model when the new model comes out.

Got myself a brand new Taylormade M3 3 wood for like a third of the cost. That thing is sweet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
You are not wrong.

PGA, I will take Koepka.  Cool, damp, lush rough is no place for a fragile back.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »

Lawsonia
Sentryworld
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run
Erin Hills
Sand Valley property
Dubsdread
Harborside
Thunderhawk
Cantigny
Arcadia Bluffs
Forest Dunes
Treetops
French Lick ptoperty

I'd put Greywalls in Marquette, Michigan on the list. It's a hike but the views are spectacular and some really intimidating holes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
I'd put Greywalls in Marquette, Michigan on the list. It's a hike but the views are spectacular and some really intimidating holes.

add timber ridge-minoqua
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
All hail Tower for his bold prediction.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
It isn't bold.    I just have a feeling that he is going to feed off being pissed at Chamblee and win another.    It is going to be interesting to see how the PGA sets up the course.    With the cool damp spring, Bethpage is going to be lush.    If they set it up like a traditional US Open with narrow fairways and let the rough grow out, even par might win it. 

Oh, and Goose, there was no teal at all involved in my 'all hail Goose'.    That score on that course?    Well done, sir. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:31:47 PM by tower912 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
Probably gonna favor the big hitters too if the course is playing as long as they say it’s gonna be.

Here’s another “bold” prediction, DJ. Not a sexy pick but dude hits the ball far.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »
Probably gonna favor the big hitters too if the course is playing as long as they say it’s gonna be.

Here’s another “bold” prediction, DJ. Not a sexy pick but dude hits the ball far.

As Tower mentioned, I think it's going to be more about control than distance. Whoever can put their drive in the fairway/green 70 out of 72 times is going to win the whole thing. Anything below 65 and you miss the cut.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."