[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2019  (Read 46711 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Golf 2019
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »
Tiger's putter letting him down

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »
Tiger's putter letting him down

"I'd be winning if not for my putting."

-- Every golfer ever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
Played the Stadium course yesterday. Wow. Never felt so good getting absolutely punished by a golf course.

Played 17 from the Players tee, hit the island and two putted. Crazy experience with the stands still up. Adrenaline was crazy high.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 07:29:07 PM »
Played the Stadium course yesterday. Wow. Never felt so good getting absolutely punished by a golf course.

Played 17 from the Players tee, hit the island and two putted. Crazy experience with the stands still up. Adrenaline was crazy high.

I played Bethpage Black probably 5 years ago right before The Barclays. It really is crazy walking up to a par 3 surrounded by grandstands. Can't help but smile.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »
I played Bethpage Black probably 5 years ago right before The Barclays. It really is crazy walking up to a par 3 surrounded by grandstands. Can't help but smile.
I played Pinehurst number 2 or outing was the last one before they closed the course for the two opens . I asked the caddie Before we started , how would they set it up for the open? He said it was pretty much always in form for the Open.

I commented that the course looked easy. He said tell me how you think about things after you finish a hole. I ping ponged the green several times and 4 putted and laugh after and said I get it , the whole defense of this course is the turtle back greens. One of the toughest tests of golf out there , and I can only imagine how difficult it had to be from the tournament tees.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
I played Pinehurst number 2 or outing was the last one before they closed the course for the two opens . I asked the caddie Before we started , how would they set it up for the open? He said it was pretty much always in form for the Open.

I commented that the course looked easy. He said tell me how you think about things after you finish a hole. I ping ponged the green several times and 4 putted and laugh after and said I get it , the whole defense of this course is the turtle back greens. One of the toughest tests of golf out there , and I can only imagine how difficult it had to be from the tournament tees.

It's ridiculously difficult to play on a tournament quality course. I am not a very good golfer. I probably average about an 88. I managed to be 1 under through 4 holes by playing fairway to green. Over the next 14 holes I stopped hitting the ball straight and the rough was so thick I could barely get my club through it. Ended up barely breaking 100. Can't imagine how hard the pros must swing to cut through that rough like nothing.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 11:53:26 PM »
It's ridiculously difficult to play on a tournament quality course. I am not a very good golfer. I probably average about an 88. I managed to be 1 under through 4 holes by playing fairway to green. Over the next 14 holes I stopped hitting the ball straight and the rough was so thick I could barely get my club through it. Ended up barely breaking 100. Can't imagine how hard the pros must swing to cut through that rough like nothing.

It’s not so much that they swing THAT much harder in rough, although a bit more acceleration is necessary. More important is a pronounced downward strike. Next time your Titleist looks more like the very top of a nestled bird egg, simply make a concerted effort to be more vertical on the downswing. The rough is such a conundrum. Usually players with smooth sweeping swings struggle way less with a 2iron shot from 230 yards in the fairway than with a simple 8 iron from 150 in thick rough. Almost every excellent wedge player is also very skilled from longer distance out of deep rough...because they understand the art of really hitting down on the ball.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:54 AM »
When the rough is that thick, I usually give up on my mid irons.  I will use my hybrids or my wedges.   If I have an angle to the green, I will go after it with a hybrid and let it run out.  If I have nothing I will wedge to the fairway, play for bogey and move on.  Anything to avoid double or worse.  Any round without a double will end up with a decent score.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:52:49 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
Any round without a double will end up with a decent score.

Definitely. I'll let you know when I have one!  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
Got the email today. Didnt get selected to volunteer at the Ryder Cup in 2020.  Super bummed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
Got the email today. Didnt get selected to volunteer at the Ryder Cup in 2020.  Super bummed.

Me too.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »

They already have a bottled water sponsor?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
I read 2020 Ryder Cup ticket prices will be announced later but does anyone have a clue what ballpark the ticket prices will be in? I saw an article about applying for the draw and wondering if it's worth trying

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 05:36:42 AM »

played the stadium course in scottsdale(waste management) 2 weeks ago sans the grandstands-looks like a completely different course.  makes one appreciate the pro's putting all the more

it takes 3 mos. to build all those structures and 2 mos to take them down.  i'd say, leave em up
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 06:29:48 AM »
They already have a bottled water sponsor?

Funny.  At the US Open, there were pallets of USGA branded water that were only for players.  Marshals were watching for patrons with those bottles and taking them.  Nuts.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 06:52:47 AM »
Funny.  At the US Open, there were pallets of USGA branded water that were only for players.  Marshals were watching for patrons with those bottles and taking them.  Nuts.

Since they ran out of beer and food for the patrons, they probably didn't want to run out of bottled water for the players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
Since they ran out of beer and food for the patrons, they probably didn't want to run out of bottled water for the players.

It won't happen, but they should ban beer sales at golf tournaments.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
It won't happen, but they should ban beer sales at golf tournaments.   

It wouldn't break my heart, but I had three beers at the Masters. I enjoyed that.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
played the stadium course in scottsdale(waste management) 2 weeks ago sans the grandstands-looks like a completely different course.  makes one appreciate the pro's putting all the more

it takes 3 mos. to build all those structures and 2 mos to take them down.  i'd say, leave em up

Thoughts on the course? I thought it was overrated in terms of courses in the area. I much preferred Monument @ Troon North & loved the Raptor at Greyhawk.
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rabid-bobcat-attacks-golfer_n_5cb9bbbee4b032e7ceb7699c

What is the appropriate club for repelling a bobcat attack?     I think a driver is too long and cumbersome and the head would not do enough damage.    I think I would want a wedge.    Smaller, heavy head.    Of course, a 2 iron might be useful, too.    And that would be good, because there really is no other modern use for a 2-iron.   

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rabid-bobcat-attacks-golfer_n_5cb9bbbee4b032e7ceb7699c

What is the appropriate club for repelling a bobcat attack?     I think a driver is too long and cumbersome and the head would not do enough damage.    I think I would want a wedge.    Smaller, heavy head.    Of course, a 2 iron might be useful, too.    And that would be good, because there really is no other modern use for a 2-iron.   

I'll take Adam Scott's Directed Force putter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2019, 01:40:26 AM »
Thoughts on the course? I thought it was overrated in terms of courses in the area. I much preferred Monument @ Troon North & loved the Raptor at Greyhawk.

sorry chili, just picked up on this-the course was very nice, but having watched the big guys play the course in person a few times, it's hard to be really objective. once i was able to get the putter to settle down... :D it was in great shape and my friend got us on for $180(normally about $360+in march)  then they have their iconic holes #15-16-17.  ya wanna play them like the pros in order to brag to you buddies.  being in surprise, most of my golfing is west, southwest of phoenix, other than rancho manana in cave creek which is a little  gimmicky, but gorgeous in the mountains.  otherwise the verrado courses in the white tanks and troon copper canyon courses in buckeye are fantastic.  quintero in far nw peoria is the #1 rated public course in the state-well worth the ride.  estrella mountain course is solid.  granite falls in sun city is nice

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 01:46:24 AM »
has anyone played the talking stick courses ? 

wickenburg ranch is a dynamite troon course.  plus they didn't over seed last fall as everyone else had and everything was in great shape.  the trilogy golf club at vistancia in peoria is a gem

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 06:42:47 AM »
What's a bucket list of courses you can actually play, in the Midwest (say within 8 hours of Chicago for definition purposes)?

Here is what I have currently, in no particular order:

Lawsonia
Sentryworld
Whistling Straits
Blackwolf Run
Erin Hills
Sand Valley property
Dubsdread
Harborside
Thunderhawk
Cantigny
Arcadia Bluffs
Forest Dunes
Treetops
French Lick ptoperty

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
PTM

Have played all WI courses noted, with exception of a SentryWorld. Truthfully cannot wrong with any of them. Played Dubs last year and liked it a lot.

My only gripe with the top end ones noted is the cost. Forking our that kind of coin always gets me hot. I had not played Blackwolf in a decade or so until last August and was shocked how much they jacked up the price.