[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 207823 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #950 on: July 14, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »
The provel "pizza" they sell in St. Louis is disgusting. Just my opinion.  Some solid rib joints down there though

There are Chicagoans that don’t eat deep dish or tavern style pizza daily. (I prefer tavern style, maybe Pequod’s for a version of the other) You can find other types of pizza besides NYC style in Manhattan, and so on.

In St. Louis, or in many other places, the question would be what type of pizza do you like, and/or what type do you want to try. I’m partial to a few friends places there but I like a wide variety of pizza and places. One, St. Louis people by way of Queen’s NYC and Puerto Rico, “La Pizza” in U. City. Another place(s) is “Cafe Piazza” in Benton Park/Brewery by way of Sicily, Italy. (They also own Vito’s by SLU). So, when I’m in town eating pizza, I am probably at one of these places.

Melo’s, (Benton Park) Pizza-a-go-go,(Lindenwood Park) Pie Guy, (Grove) Anthonino’s, Union Loafers if you are near the Botanical Gardens, PW (Lafayette Square), many others.

It’s all subjective. Pi Pizza (Central West End, Wash Ave locations) is good, very popular and recommended. But it often isn’t one of my first choices. I would recommend it on his trip based on location and popularity. They serve corn meal crust deep dish, and thin. Many of their pizzas are named after places in both St. Louis and Chicago. Obama liked it so much when he was President that they now have DC locations too.

Provel, which is white cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheese, is fine. (all of those are fine with me) It’s more of a take out or bar option that can also be found in stores. Some people love it, some don’t, some like it, and have it once in a while.  For his trip it would either be a take out/delivery option or a bar option most likely.

If in Milwaukee, and near downtown for a concert or game or show, I’ve had Calderone Club many times. If I’m on the East side it’s been Zaffiro’s. If it’s deliver anywhere any time it’s probably been Pizza Shuttle. It all depends.

But I often prefer NYC pizza first, New Haven 2nd if someone asked or gave me a choice.

In Chicago a relative of mine loved the Oven and Pizza Grinder. It wasn’t my thing but I’d go with once in a while and it’s fine. Piece is still cranking out CT pies in Wicker Park. Brooklyn NY’s Paulie Gee’s has a Neapolitan spot in Logan Square. And so on.

It’s not as though people in these cities eat these things every day all the time. Gooey Butter Cake, Pork Steaks, Toasted Ravioli, etc..are other food items that can be found there. They’re all fine.

And yes, there are many good BBQ places there these days as previously mentioned.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #951 on: July 14, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
Between you guys, Reddit and beer advocate here's my list. Additions or Subtractions?  (Not pictured are Blues city deli for a sandwich and Broadway oyster bar for Cajun)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:55:50 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #952 on: July 14, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »
Chick jr. and I had tickets and an AirBnB lined up to see this, but when they switched it from the hockey arena to the Football stadium, we took a pass.  We watched it on TV instead of being 50 yards away from the action.  Got seats for when the post-Olympic tour hits
Milwaukee instead.

Yep. That wasn’t their choice unfortunately. COVID-19 attendance capacity limits forced it to go to the Dome. The St. Louis Sports Commission didn’t really have a say in the move from Enterprise Center to the Dome. It was combined with a convention event next door. The gymnastics also used all of the convention space available as well.

Enterprise Center would have been a good spot for it. It had a $150 Million renovation the past few years. Union Station next door recently finished a $200 Million dollar renovation. And the new outdoor soccer stadium (25k) is going up diagonally down the street on Market. They have a lot going on in that Downtown West neighborhood.

One you would have probably liked would have been a few years ago, the Women’s U.S. Gymnastic Championships were combined with Men’s Olympic Trials at SLU’s Chaifetz Arena. Not a bad spot to see Simone Biles etc in action. (That’s like going to Xavier’s Cintas Center for those that haven’t been there.)

The St. Louis Sports Commission is very good at getting these events and, knowing which venue to use for maxim results and impact. They will probably get the gymnastics again as well as something similar. They also hosted the SEC Gymnastics championships recently. As for Olympics, I know they are close to getting the U.S. Olympic Swimming trials for 2024.

It’s also worth checking every few years to see if they are hosting NCAA basketball first rounds or regionals. I believe the only time Marquette played there that I can remember is the unfortunate 2 point upset loss to Tulsa in the first round in the Wade/Diener days. That was one to forget.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:14:56 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #953 on: July 14, 2021, 02:19:18 PM »
Like clockwork.    ::) ::)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #954 on: July 14, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
Between you guys, Reddit and beer advocate here's my list. Additions or Subtractions?  (Not pictured are Blues city deli for a sandwich and Broadway oyster bar for Cajun)

That’s a pretty food food and beverage list. And don’t be afraid to try things not on your list as they present themselves. I would break it down like this:

A) Sites to see, things to do
B) Neighborhoods to explore
C) Food beverage list
D) Transportation, metro link, drive, shuttle, walk, Uber, etc…
E) Time of day

The more you combine these three together effectively, the easier, and more enjoyable it will be.

Some neighborhoods to explore in no order:

Central West End/Forest Park/Wydown
Soulard
Benton Park
Lafayette Square
Tower Grove, which includes a subset of neighborhoods.
Washington Ave
The Hill
The Grove
Dogtown
Midtown/Cortex
Downtown West
Ballpark Village

Some neighborhoods are more walkable than others, some are connected/strung together better than others.

Soulard is walkable French 1800’s red brick Federal style walkable pub crawl, farmer’s market, breweries, etc…while Benton Park/Cherokee Street (cast iron)  (and Lafayette Square (1800’s multi colored French Victorians) are very close, it’s easier for a very short drive.

Washington Ave is walkable 1800’s Garment District, Loft Warehouse Brick.

Central West End is tree lined streets walkable, mix of architectural styles, old and more recently modern, much of it turn of century tree lined cobble stone street mansions.

and so on…

BBQ, besides the listed ones, which are all good choices, Sugarfire Smokehouse if you are on Washington Ave, Adam’s if in Clifton Heights (a Pappy’s offshoot), Hogtown if in Dogtown, Shaved Duck if in Tower Grove East, Soulfood meets BBQ. David Sandusky owns the various BEAST BBQ locations, some in Metro East but there is one in Forest Park Southeast called Beast Butcher & Block. I haven’t seen it yet but he is on some show on food network each week called BBQ Brawl (I think that’s the name) with other celebrity Chefs. He’s getting a lot of buzz there.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:14:32 PM by shoothoops »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #955 on: July 14, 2021, 11:22:54 PM »
Pro trip: Driving in Venice will end up being catastrophic. About as bad as laboring through a horrible Cardinals game in 100% St. Louis summer humidity.

Well, driving in Venice would be quite wet.   ;D

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #956 on: July 15, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »
Have a co-worker whose daughter is touring Marquette next week and looking for restaurant recommendations in the area. Haven't been down there in quite some time as I only come back to Milwaukee once a year. Can you guys throw out some recs on some good restaurants in the area for burgers, Mexican, steak, etc.?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #957 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:31 AM »
Have a co-worker whose daughter is touring Marquette next week and looking for restaurant recommendations in the area. Haven't been down there in quite some time as I only come back to Milwaukee once a year. Can you guys throw out some recs on some good restaurants in the area for burgers, Mexican, steak, etc.?

Best Mexican I've had in Milwaukee and possibly ever is Tavo's Signature on blue mound road. Seriously their red mole is on another level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #958 on: July 15, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »

Real chili

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #959 on: July 15, 2021, 09:23:48 AM »

For a casual meal, steer them down to the Third Ward.  Plenty of choices, and shows them a cool part of Milwaukee.

And for steak, you can't go wrong with Five O'Clock .
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #960 on: July 15, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
For a casual meal, steer them down to the Third Ward.  Plenty of choices, and shows them a cool part of Milwaukee.

And for steak, you can't go wrong with Five O'Clock .

Agreed. We really like Sweet Diner in that area for Brunch and lunch options. There’s a lot of cool options there or going through the Public Market.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #961 on: July 15, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »

Personally, take her to somewhere downtown.  She will get to see the downtown area which is memorable.  Spend the rest of the time at a campus spot like Sobelman's.  Something where the other kids hang out.  Going to 5 O'clock would be alright, if not a bit stuffy.  Definitely showcases the 'supper club' dining that is home to Wisconsin... but is it fun for an 18 year old?  nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'd aim for the Ale Asylum Riverhouse, the Safe House, or Cafe Benelux for something that would appeal to more young people/downtown vibe.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #962 on: July 15, 2021, 10:32:34 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #963 on: July 15, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »
Personally, take her to somewhere downtown.  She will get to see the downtown area which is memorable.  Spend the rest of the time at a campus spot like Sobelman's.  Something where the other kids hang out.  Going to 5 O'clock would be alright, if not a bit stuffy.  Definitely showcases the 'supper club' dining that is home to Wisconsin... but is it fun for an 18 year old?  nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'd aim for the Ale Asylum Riverhouse, the Safe House, or Cafe Benelux for something that would appeal to more young people/downtown vibe.

Safe house seemed cheesey when I visited my sister in MKE at 16yrs old. Now it's older and even more cheesey. Benelux especially the rooftop is a solid option. Ale asylum is no longer there it's the third street tavern.

Loaded slate roof top would be cool as would the good city in the deer district. Here's a list to check out since rooftops are in right now:

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/rooftop-patios
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #964 on: July 15, 2021, 10:45:57 AM »
Safe house seemed cheesey when I visited my sister in MKE at 16yrs old. Now it's older and even more cheesey. Benelux especially the rooftop is a solid option. Ale asylum is no longer there it's the third street tavern.

Loaded slate roof top would be cool as would the good city in the deer district. Here's a list to check out since rooftops are in right now:

I thought Third Street Tavern took over for the Mexican Restaurant/Tequilla Bar.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #965 on: July 15, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »
I thought Third Street Tavern took over for the Mexican Restaurant/Tequilla Bar.

Idk maybe they split the address? It's all the same building/address, could be Whitail is in the specific unit Ale Asylum was.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #966 on: July 15, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »
Jake's Deli iz a kant miss fore dat authentic MKE realism, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #967 on: July 15, 2021, 11:08:38 AM »
Docs

Jakes should be on any shortlist, IMO. Your post reminding me that I have not been there for awhile and inked it in for lunch tomorrow.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #968 on: July 15, 2021, 11:10:17 AM »
Idk maybe they split the address? It's all the same building/address, could be Whitail is in the specific unit Ale Asylum was.

Ah. Makes sense. I know Ale Asylum has been rumored to close for the last 3 years. Didn’t realize it finally happened. I think there’s much better breweries in Milwaukee area, but a cool location.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #969 on: July 15, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

Totally agree about SafeHouse.  It was a bit corny when I was there more than a decade ago.  I get that its a "legendary" Milwaukee spot, but its far from hip or cool for someone in their early 20s.

If you're talking rooftops, the Journeyman's roof is as good as it gets in Milwaukee IMO.  Great space, good views, great atmosphere.  And there is tons of good restaurants nearby.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #970 on: July 15, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »

The Safe House?

"Hello, fellow kids."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #971 on: July 15, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »
The Safe House?

"Hello, fellow kids."

Lmao that is the epitome of buscemi   
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #972 on: July 15, 2021, 12:21:25 PM »
The Safe House?

"Hello, fellow kids."

I mean, it's entertaining for what it is.  I didn't imply it was cool or whatever.  Just something more memorable than going to somewhere way off campus in Brookfield or West Allis.

I clearly haven't spent enough time dining out in downtown Milwaukee in the last yea.r  8-)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #973 on: July 15, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
I mean, it's entertaining for what it is.  I didn't imply it was cool or whatever.  Just something more memorable than going to somewhere way off campus in Brookfield or West Allis.

I clearly haven't spent enough time dining out in downtown Milwaukee in the last yea.r  8-)

Year?  I thought the safe house was lame 25 years ago on my one and only visit.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #974 on: July 15, 2021, 02:50:53 PM »
Year?  I thought the safe house was lame 25 years ago on my one and only visit.

I haven't been in 5 years since my buddy that had a lifetime membership at the Safe House passed. I think it improved quite a bite since 25 years ago. The secret entrance from the News Room pub, secret entrance from Wells Street with fake elevator ride etc. besides the normal spy crap, Sneaky Pete etc. they've always had make it a unique stop albeit not for more than a drink or 2.