Mostly Embarrassed By… by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 11:13:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Johnny B
[Today at 11:12:18 PM]

We Crapped the Bed by 79Warrior
[Today at 11:10:23 PM]

Shooting by rocky_warrior
[Today at 10:59:15 PM]

Can’t remember a ref reversing a foul to the other team on a replay by GB Warrior
[Today at 10:58:04 PM]

Such a Shame by lawdog77
[Today at 10:54:33 PM]

Should We Hope for a National Title? by muhoops1
[Today at 10:53:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 200237 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #975 on: July 15, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »
Have a co-worker whose daughter is touring Marquette next week and looking for restaurant recommendations in the area. Haven't been down there in quite some time as I only come back to Milwaukee once a year. Can you guys throw out some recs on some good restaurants in the area for burgers, Mexican, steak, etc.?

If your friend and his daughter don't mind walking a bit, I'd recommend:

1.  Start at van Buren amd Brady.  Walk east on Brady.  She will get to see a different side of Milwaukee than the campus area.  Walk all the way to the walkway down to the lakefront (so cross Prospect Ave.) and then walk north along Lincoln Memorial Drive to Collectivo.  Grab coffee or a smoothy or lunch.  They will enjoy the contrast of city v lakefront.

2.  Uber back to their starting point.  Now grab the pedestrian walkway on the northside of Brady street and van Buren and walk across the river on the marsupial bridge and then cross down to Lakefront Brewery.  Stop for a tour, or something to eat.  Or not.  Walk on the west side of the river as far as they can tolerate, but at least up to Juneau and then just walk a couple of blocks to see the Fiserv and Deer District.  Uber back to starting point (assuming they are driving).

Each of those strolls is just a little over a mile.  And she will see a big chunk of Milwaukee's best sites:  the lakefront and the river. 

3.  Another nice walk (as other's have mentioned) is the Third Ward area.  Start at the Milwaukee Market, corner of Water and St. Paul, take in the Market, then grab the riverwalk on the east side of the river, and walk it all the way to the mouth of the harbor.  That's almost exactly one mile, and they will pass by several restaurants, including the Milwaukee Ale House, and Riverfront Pizza.  Or if in the evening, shorten the walk along the river, by heading east on Chicago street to the Journeyman Hotel where they should grab an appetizer and a drink on the rooftop. 

Summertime in Milwaukee is very nice. 
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #976 on: July 15, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »
St. Louis is the Applebee's of American cities.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #977 on: July 15, 2021, 09:16:31 PM »
Well, driving in Venice would be quite wet.   ;D

At least someone on here gets my dry jokes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #978 on: July 15, 2021, 11:40:57 PM »
St. Louis is the Applebee's of American cities.

Haha This'll be my third adult try, 7th visit overall. once in college with ex, once with college friends, now with fiancé. So I like to think I'll have given it a fair shake as a city
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #979 on: July 16, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Haha This'll be my third adult try, 7th visit overall. once in college with ex, once with college friends, now with fiancé. So I like to think I'll have given it a fair shake as a city

Whether it’s NYC, L.A., D.C., Nashville, Chicago, Milwaukee, or anywhere else I’ve lived or visited, there are many great places if you know where to go, what to do and see and whom with to do it.

Even I know that Kenosha and the Il/WI border is about more than Applebee’s, Mars Cheese Castle and speeding tickets. Or, despite those people rarely getting to the city, fun can be had in Chicagoland too.

Fun U23 Women’s UWS playoff game at The MAC in Crystal Lake last night. 👍

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #980 on: July 17, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #982 on: July 18, 2021, 04:43:58 PM »
By the way, I forgot he has Galway in his name. He really needs to hit up McGurk’s in Soulard for an outdoor beverage if he has Galway in his name. Beer garden is in the back. (I’ve spent a bit of time of at The Quays and the like in Galway, Ireland.)

Thanks for the recommendation it's some good craic as the fiancé and her family are all KO'd at the Airbnb. Wish it was as social as a brewery but it's a Sunday so can't expect any better
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #983 on: July 18, 2021, 05:15:19 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation it's some good craic as the fiancé and her family are all KO'd at the Airbnb. Wish it was as social as a brewery but it's a Sunday so can't expect any better

👍

You can walk to a lot of good bars and restaurants from there.

4 Hands Brewery is a mile from there on 8th street.

Bluewood and Square One are also close to there. Ask the staff.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:17:46 PM by shoothoops »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #984 on: July 18, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »
👍

You can walk to a lot of good bars and restaurants from there.

4 Hands Brewery is a mile from there on 8th street.

Bluewood and Square One are also close to there. Ask the staff.

Tried to go to Bluewood (forgot my mask figuring I wouldn't need it b/c Missouri), 4 hands is right by my Airbnb, probably hit that tomorrow as I want to stay here for the music. Snagging dinner at Broadway oyster bar
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #985 on: July 18, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
Tried to go to Bluewood (forgot my mask figuring I wouldn't need it b/c Missouri), 4 hands is right by my Airbnb, probably hit that tomorrow as I want to stay here for the music. Snagging dinner at Broadway oyster bar

Those are good choices.  There will probably be music at Broadway Oyster Bar as well.

(And, Stl, KC, CoMo, are different from the rest of the state when it comes to masks etc…)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:51:54 PM by shoothoops »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #986 on: July 18, 2021, 06:24:52 PM »
Totally agree about SafeHouse.  It was a bit corny when I was there more than a decade ago.  I get that its a "legendary" Milwaukee spot, but its far from hip or cool for someone in their early 20s.

If you're talking rooftops, the Journeyman's roof is as good as it gets in Milwaukee IMO.  Great space, good views, great atmosphere.  And there is tons of good restaurants nearby.

Seconded.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #987 on: July 18, 2021, 07:55:47 PM »
Has anyone been to Copenhagen? May be part of a trip next June.
Is it really as outrageously expensive as people say?
For context, we were in Switzerland in 2019. Yes it was pricey. But food and beverage, while expensive, wasn’t staggering. If it weren’t for the train/cable cars, it wasn’t a nightmare of costs.
Looking at staying at the AC hotel by their convention center. Quick 12 minute trip into city center on the metro. Good/bad choice? Can stay there on points.
Any other pointers?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #988 on: July 18, 2021, 08:42:42 PM »
Has anyone been to Copenhagen? May be part of a trip next June.
Is it really as outrageously expensive as people say?
For context, we were in Switzerland in 2019. Yes it was pricey. But food and beverage, while expensive, wasn’t staggering. If it weren’t for the train/cable cars, it wasn’t a nightmare of costs.
Looking at staying at the AC hotel by their convention center. Quick 12 minute trip into city center on the metro. Good/bad choice? Can stay there on points.
Any other pointers?

In my experience, Scandinavia in general is shockingly expensive, Copenhagen is no different.  Oslo is the only place i remember being as ridic expensive.  Switzerland is pricey but not Nordic pricey.

But its a really fricken cool city.  Fantastic food scene, nice people, great English proficiency which helps.  Also feels small and not sprawling.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #989 on: July 18, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »
Thanks. I’ve heard Norway horror stories. From what I’ve checked, Copenhagen isn’t in that ballpark.

If it were the only destination, I wouldn’t worry, but we are also going to Paris and a place in Germany where the lodging is pricey. And with a kid headed to college a couple months later, price becomes a concern.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #990 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
Pbi,
I agree with Wags' comments. 

The family and I spent about 4-5 days in Copenhagen in the summer of 2018 after visiting family in Poland and a stop in Krakow.  (OK, well sort of )  We stayed in Malmo, Sweden because the hotels were like 60-65% cheaper.  Hotels in Malmo may have been even cheaper if Malmofestavalen wasn't going on.  (A Scandinavian Lollapalooza music fest.)  Granted tickets on the 30 minute train ride over the Oresund bridge gave back a lot of the savings.
Malmo was like staying in Alexandria to visit DC.  We went Icelandic horseback riding in south Copenhagen one day.  Visited Roskilde where all the Danish Kings are buried and home to the awesome Viking Ship Museum.  We visited Kronborg Castle in Helsingbor, the home of Hamlet one day where the play was acted out all day in the actual rooms Shakespeare wrote the scenes.
Copenhagen was great.  The parks we're wonderful, Nyhavn (New Haven) as colorful and picturesque as described.  We saw the crown jewels of Denmark and the little mermaid statue.  Ate smorrebrod, traditional Danish open face sandwiches in Hojbro Plads.  Hojbro Plads is the fictional home of character Cotton Malone from the Steve Berry novels.  It was cool to see in person.  My wife liked shopping at Ilums Bolighus.  Everyone rides bikes and the metro worked well.  Very walkable city

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #991 on: July 19, 2021, 09:37:35 AM »
We are taking a family trip to the Croatian Islands, but due to COVID have not been through international security lines for some time now, and not sure if with additional protocols it might take longer to get through.  Should I prep for similar times to get through or are there additional protocols that might take longer than pre-COVID?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #992 on: July 19, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
We are taking a family trip to the Croatian Islands, but due to COVID have not been through international security lines for some time now, and not sure if with additional protocols it might take longer to get through.  Should I prep for similar times to get through or are there additional protocols that might take longer than pre-COVID?

Departing the US?  Depending on where you're departing from and what airline, the domestic and international security are one and the same, aka any major US carrier from major US airports.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #993 on: July 19, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »

My wife just flew internationally.  Despite being vaccinated, you have to show a negative COVID test coming back.  Delta/KLM wouldn't let her on the plane in Warsaw without it and they were following US state department rules.  It cost her $100 for the test.  Some friends of ours left for Poland last week and it will cost them $400 in testing to fly home.  She said at Schipol Airport you would not know there was a pandemic and interestingly everywhere got very lazy stamping passports.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #994 on: July 19, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »
Departing the US?  Depending on where you're departing from and what airline, the domestic and international security are one and the same, aka any major US carrier from major US airports.

Leaving ORD and it is at 6 pm taking United (Lufthansa).  Based on average wait times when looking at the TSA website does not seem like it would be too bad, but wanted to see if anybody had any experience first hand.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #995 on: July 19, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
My wife just flew internationally.  Despite being vaccinated, you have to show a negative COVID test coming back.  Delta/KLM wouldn't let her on the plane in Warsaw without it and they were following US state department rules.  It cost her $100 for the test.  Some friends of ours left for Poland last week and it will cost them $400 in testing to fly home.  She said at Schipol Airport you would not know there was a pandemic and interestingly everywhere got very lazy stamping passports.

Yeah, saw that and already have some rapid tests that are approved from Abbott labs that we can do ourselves via video conference to verify the person who is taking it is who they say they are.  Tested one out and it works pretty seamlessly.  Was a bit more expensive but worth the convenience in my opinion.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #996 on: July 19, 2021, 10:59:01 AM »
Leaving ORD and it is at 6 pm taking United (Lufthansa).  Based on average wait times when looking at the TSA website does not seem like it would be too bad, but wanted to see if anybody had any experience first hand.

My wife said security wait times were pretty normal but baggage drop off / check-in took longer than usual both at JFK & international locations because they are checking all the COVID stuff.  May want to give yourself a little extra time for check-in.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #997 on: July 19, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »

Well is it United or Lufthansa?  Not trying to be difficult but it is important.  Cause if you're out of Terminal 1 on United, it would be the same as flying to Orlando (with maybe a bit more of an issue with checking bags).  Security lines are the same.  If you have pre-check, you'd buzz right through.

If its Lufthansa, out of Terminal 5, then it may be longer cause they don't have Pre-Check there to my knowledge.  At least they don't in the international terminal at Newark.  All my international flights at ORD are on United out of T1 so I dont know for sure.

Depending on how much time you have before you leave, I'd highly recommend Global Entry if you don't already have it.  Ive heard NIGHTMARE stories about the delays on people coming back into the US.  It was the best travel related perk I ever spent on (besides pre-check obviously)

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #998 on: July 19, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
Well is it United or Lufthansa?  Not trying to be difficult but it is important.  Cause if you're out of Terminal 1 on United, it would be the same as flying to Orlando (with maybe a bit more of an issue with checking bags).  Security lines are the same.  If you have pre-check, you'd buzz right through.

If its Lufthansa, out of Terminal 5, then it may be longer cause they don't have Pre-Check there to my knowledge.  At least they don't in the international terminal at Newark.  All my international flights at ORD are on United out of T1 so I dont know for sure.

Depending on how much time you have before you leave, I'd highly recommend Global Entry if you don't already have it.  Ive heard NIGHTMARE stories about the delays on people coming back into the US.  It was the best travel related perk I ever spent on (besides pre-check obviously)

Great clarifying question, as I had to double check and it is a UA flight.  We had another flight that was cancelled and it was Lufthansa which is why I put both.  I guess I had not realized it would not all be out of the ORD international terminal because I always had flown with a European plane when flying over there.  Definitely doing the pre-check and great call on Global Entry!!  Thanks!

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #999 on: July 19, 2021, 03:51:23 PM »

LH leaves ORD out of T1 / UA gates.

feedback