[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205751 times)

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 19, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Has anyone been to Copenhagen? May be part of a trip next June.
Is it really as outrageously expensive as people say?
For context, we were in Switzerland in 2019. Yes it was pricey. But food and beverage, while expensive, wasn’t staggering. If it weren’t for the train/cable cars, it wasn’t a nightmare of costs.
Looking at staying at the AC hotel by their convention center. Quick 12 minute trip into city center on the metro. Good/bad choice? Can stay there on points.
Any other pointers?

Hahah, I’ve stayed at this AC (Bella Sky) on points. Stunning architecture but certainly away from the action. Doing it over I’d throw down the money to stay centrally. Driverless trams are free, frequent and easy but count on 20+ minutes to where you’re heading, minimum.

If you’re traveling with kids the zoo is insanely good; the animals appear happy and untranquilized unlike their American peers. If you’re not, make your reservations for Noma or Geranium now.

Enjoy the Mikkeler, the snegls and the god damn excellent coffee.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: July 19, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great Copenhagen insight. Appreciate it. Some great tips. Was waffling on Roskilde, but sounds like it’s worth it.
Right now the AC is too cheap on points to pass up, but we are looking at AirBnBs as well.  So a plan B insurance policy.
Is Malmo worth a day trip? Kind of tempting just to add a new country.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: July 20, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great Copenhagen insight. Appreciate it. Some great tips. Was waffling on Roskilde, but sounds like it’s worth it.
Right now the AC is too cheap on points to pass up, but we are looking at AirBnBs as well.  So a plan B insurance policy.
Is Malmo worth a day trip? Kind of tempting just to add a new country.

PBI - Yes, on Roskilde.  You won't be disappointed on the Vikingeskibsmuseet.  Most importantly, make sure you book a reservation on the 1 hour plus boat ride on a handmade Viking ship.  The passengers have to help oar out of the dock and help raise the sail.  The living museum has been featured on a zillion US TV shows.
https://www.facebook.com/Vikingeskibsmuseet/

Malmo you can probably do in a 1/2 day and it has it's own medieval square as well as palace behind a moat as well as a Frank Gehry Building (Twisting Torso).  My wife and kids just wanted to visit a Fjallraven store.  The other cool part is you get to go over the Oresund Bridge, an architectural marvel in it's own as well as interesting water views.  Sweden is definitely different than Denmark and you'll see. 
https://visitsweden.com/where-to-go/southern-sweden/malmo/

My daughter found a TV show after our visit and we watched the first two seasons.  The Bridge (Bron/Broen) staring Kim Bodnia from Killing Eve.  A murder is found on the Oresund Bridge and the body is half in Denmark and half in Sweden and involves joint detective team from Copenhagen & Malmo.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:43:26 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: July 20, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
No Göteborg love?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: July 21, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »
Hahah, I’ve stayed at this AC (Bella Sky) on points. Stunning architecture but certainly away from the action. Doing it over I’d throw down the money to stay centrally. Driverless trams are free, frequent and easy but count on 20+ minutes to where you’re heading, minimum.

If you’re traveling with kids the zoo is insanely good; the animals appear happy and untranquilized unlike their American peers. If you’re not, make your reservations for Noma or Geranium now.

Enjoy the Mikkeler, the snegls and the god damn excellent coffee.

Kids in two, so Noma is out. But I did find a pizza place by a michelin star chef.
I've had Mikkeller twice, once in Switzerland, once at a local bar here (thanks untappd!) . Tasty. Went to their website. It is god awful. Looks like there are several locations for them. Any particular one to visit? Looks like the Meatpacking district one is interesting, as does the waterfront Baghaven location.

Looking forward to the coffee. Everyone seems to rave about it. Enjoyed the experience in Vienna, but they are a bit pretentious about it to say the least.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: July 21, 2021, 06:33:50 PM »
Has anyone been to Copenhagen? May be part of a trip next June.
Is it really as outrageously expensive as people say?
For context, we were in Switzerland in 2019. Yes it was pricey. But food and beverage, while expensive, wasn’t staggering. If it weren’t for the train/cable cars, it wasn’t a nightmare of costs.
Looking at staying at the AC hotel by their convention center. Quick 12 minute trip into city center on the metro. Good/bad choice? Can stay there on points.
Any other pointers?

I was only there two days but I would highly recommend the Louisiana Art Museum outside of Copenhagen.  I believe "Hamlet's castle" is in the same town.  Their outdoor sculpture garden is phenomenal with several of the GOATS including Calder and Miro.  It's a gorgeous setting overlooking the water and well worth the visit. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: July 27, 2021, 09:35:37 PM »
Has anyone traveled to the EU lately? Was your vaccination card sufficient proof of vaccination? Did you get a test within 72 hours to be safe?

Honeymoon is the first week of September. Based on what I've read, it seems Croatia is accepting vaccinated travelers from the USA without proof of a negative test. But I'm slightly worried that my paper vaccination card won't be sufficient.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: July 27, 2021, 09:40:59 PM »
Has anyone traveled to the EU lately? Was your vaccination card sufficient proof of vaccination? Did you get a test within 72 hours to be safe?

Honeymoon is the first week of September. Based on what I've read, it seems Croatia is accepting vaccinated travelers from the USA without proof of a negative test. But I'm slightly worried that my paper vaccination card won't be sufficient.

Whatever you do, don't rely on some mope from some Interwebs sports site for your information.  Get an answer from an official source.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: July 27, 2021, 09:57:48 PM »
Whatever you do, don't rely on some mope from some Interwebs sports site for your information.  Get an answer from an official source.

The official source says vaccination cards are accepted, but I've heard of people who have had trouble with them.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: July 27, 2021, 10:46:23 PM »

Too bad you don’t know a former travel industry expert whose currently in Croatia! ;)

But yeah, what she said. And check not only your final destination, but any connecting airports not in the US.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:48:29 PM by pbiflyer »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: July 28, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
According to chick’s travel industry guy currently in Croatia, a CDC vaccine card was sufficient for entry.
But that was a month ago. As the very wise chick said, check with officials.
Entry requirements can and do change .

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: July 28, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »

One of my good friends is with his wife in France right now.  Their vaccination cards were acceptable.  They took tests 48 hours ahead of departure but said they didn't end up needing them.  Biggest issue was that the customs line at CDG was 2 hours long.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: July 28, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

See my various posts a few pages back on my wife's visit to Poland to see her parents earlier this month.

And on Amazon, you can buy little hard plastic zip close pouches that fit the vaccine card perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:31:37 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: August 10, 2021, 06:49:50 AM »
I know we have more than a few NYC scoopers out there. 

What is your best bagel place?  I've been to more than a few, but I need a new one for this weekend.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: August 10, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
I know we have more than a few NYC scoopers out there. 

What is your best bagel place?  I've been to more than a few, but I need a new one for this weekend.

What part of town? It would be easier to recommend based on that. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel (Chelsea, Astoria etc..) but it you aren’t near those locations, there are many others to choose from.

If you are near Chelsea Piers for sports, or Chelsea Market, or the High Line or MSG, etc…hit the one in Chelsea.

But you can find good ones in different neighborhoods.

Also, my recs may or may not vary based on your order. Bagel vs Bagel sandwich vs cream cheese vs bacon/egf/cheese etc…coffee etc…I may like certain aspects of one place vs another.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:46:30 AM by shoothoops »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: August 10, 2021, 08:44:31 AM »
Speaking of bagels, if you go to Montreal, you have to have St Viateur bagels. Some consider it better than any place in New York.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: August 10, 2021, 08:47:45 AM »
What part of town? It would be easier to recommend based on that. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel (Chelsea, Astoria etc..) but it you aren’t near those locations, there are many others to choose from.

If you are near Chelsea Piers for sports, or Chelsea Market, or the High Line or etc…hit the one in Chelsea.

But you can find good ones in different neighborhoods.

Also, my recs may or may not vary based on your order. Bagel vs Bagel sandwich vs cream cheese vs bacon/egf/cheese etc…coffee etc…I may like certain aspects of one place vs another.

Anywhere south of the park (I know, big area).  Personally, I prefer bagel sandwiches, but my friend prefers just a bagel.  We've dipped into places all over the city... here are some I can remember

Zuckers
Murrays
Kossars

probably a couple of others that I can't remember... Have you had Heavenly?  We will for sure check out Brooklyn Bagel.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: August 10, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
Speaking of bagels, if you go to Montreal, you have to have St Viateur bagels. Some consider it better than any place in New York.

Had it, and it is damn good.  Montreal is an awesome city.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: August 10, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »
Dude ya gotta hit Zabar's for hand cut lox. You'll immediately sign up for a circumcision right there, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: August 10, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »
Anywhere south of the park (I know, big area).  Personally, I prefer bagel sandwiches, but my friend prefers just a bagel.  We've dipped into places all over the city... here are some I can remember

Zuckers
Murrays
Kossars

probably a couple of others that I can't remember... Have you had Heavenly?  We will for sure check out Brooklyn Bagel.

Brooklyn Bagel is known for their light and airy bagels and their massive selection of both bagels and cream cheese. Coffee is decent and solid but you can get better coffee other places in the neighborhood. (I’m friendly with the people at Joe’s Coffee not too far from there, but you don’t need to go out of your way for it) On a nice day, wait in line, grab your bagels etc and walk over to the Piers or High Line from there.

If you are a bit closer to MSG in Midtown, Best Bagel and Liberty may be good choices that satisfy the variety of interests of your group. They aren’t too far from BBCC. They are good.

I think you can do better at say an Ess-a-Bagel vs a Zossars if in similar neighborhoods of each. Heavenly is fine. It’s probably known more for its sandwiches than bagels, and stick to Greenwich Village and Lower East Side locations.

I would focus on what neighborhood you are in that day or are planning to go to that day, and work around that and combine things. There’s no need to go way out of your way for one thing and way out of your way for another thing. Too many choices for that. 

And pay attention to quality vs name recognition, especially older places. Sometimes those things match up and sometimes they don’t. (like pizza). And some places keep up better over time than others. Nothing like a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel to start your day in the city.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: August 10, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
Dude ya gotta hit Zabar's for hand cut lox. You'll immediately sign up for a circumcision right there, hey?

I'll probably check er out on another time, but thanks for the rec.

Brooklyn Bagel is known for their light and airy bagels and their massive selection of both bagels and cream cheese. Coffee is decent and solid but you can get better coffee other places in the neighborhood. (I’m friendly with the people at Joe’s Coffee not too far from there, but you don’t need to go out of your way for it) On a nice day, wait in line, grab your bagels etc and walk over to the Piers or High Line from there.

If you are a bit closer to MSG in Midtown, Best Bagel and Liberty may be good choices that satisfy the variety of interests of your group. They aren’t too far from BBCC. They are good.

I think you can do better at say an Ess-a-Bagel vs a Zossars if in similar neighborhoods of each. Heavenly is fine. It’s probably known more for its sandwiches than bagels, and stick to Greenwich Village and Lower East Side locations.

I would focus on what neighborhood you are in that day or are planning to go to that day, and work around that and combine things. There’s no need to go way out of your way for one thing and way out of your way for another thing. Too many choices for that. 

And pay attention to quality vs name recognition, especially older places. Sometimes those things match up and sometimes they don’t. (like pizza). And some places keep up better over time than others. Nothing like a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel to start your day in the city.

The friend that my wife and I are traveling with is obsessed with bagels, so we will probably have one every morning despite my protests.

At least now I have a couple of places to steer towards instead of trying to google things in the morning.  Appreciate the info!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: August 10, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »
Anybody back to pre-Covid levels of business travel again?  I will be firing up on a limited basis (compared to pre-Covid) in August.  Full-bore in October.
Well that didn’t work out so well. Work travel suspended indefinitely before we ever even got started.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: August 10, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
I'll probably check er out on another time, but thanks for the rec.

The friend that my wife and I are traveling with is obsessed with bagels, so we will probably have one every morning despite my protests.

At least now I have a couple of places to steer towards instead of trying to google things in the morning.  Appreciate the info!

Yep. Sure. Those are some good ones. And, there are some good neighborhood bagel alternative places, depending on where you are and type of food you are seeking.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: August 10, 2021, 09:57:45 PM »
Well that didn’t work out so well. Work travel suspended indefinitely before we ever even got started.

I have a big convention in Vegas in two weeks.  While there is no chance it gets cancelled, the attendance list seems to be dwindling.  To be fair, a lot of the big retailers and buyers don't like going cause it can be an exhausting few days of constantly being pawed at and pitched, so they can often use any excuse to back out or cut the trip short.  Delta is as good a reason as any.

Amusingly, my Indian associates and customers are CLAMORING for me to make a trip there claiming COVID isn't much an issue there anymore.  But I don't trust ANYTHING data wise coming from there.  And wearing a mask constantly in the humid and heat there sounds like a nightmare.  But then again, I'm so starved for long haul travel, I'd go almost anywhere.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: August 12, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
Anyone done high speed trains in Italy?

They look like they are really something. And, are strikes a real threat nowadays?