collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199477 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 17, 2021, 08:20:21 AM »
Ponce is worth it for sure. Check out Biltong  Bar there, a South African jerky place.
Also, if you are comfortable with MARTa, there are some great restaurants and bars in Decatur. Brick Store Pub is a legendary beer bar.
I spend a ton of time in Atlanta. When I get in front of a computer, I’ll throw out more suggestions.

Ty, pbiflyer.  I will be near Decatur at Emory so will definitely check out that area.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: September 17, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »
Take the train from the airport to the Midtown station (unless you need a car otherwise). I always hit up The Varsity, but I’m a sucker for those kinds of places.

Ditto for me. 
My industry has an every-other trade show in Atlanta and I always take the train and never rent a car.  (I'm bummed because they just decided to go virtual this week for the October show.)
I've stayed DT and Midtown.  Piedmont Park is pretty cool for a morning run or walk.
I also always visit the Varsity, as I'm a sucker for local food like this too.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: September 17, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
Go to the Vortex instead. Much better food and a local favorite

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: September 17, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »
ATL,
  Have you ever been to Gunshow?  Its a bit east of Downtown.  Kevin Gillispe has always been my fav Top Chef alum.  I went to Woodfire Grill when he was still head chef and it was one of the best meals ive ever had.  Also best restaurant Ive ever been to thats a stones throw away from a legendary strip club, shout out to Onyx and Chesire Bridge Rd!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
Heading to Columbus for the USA-CRC WCQ next month. I don't know anything about the city other than it's where tOSU is located.

We'll probably be there for two nights. Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, things to do that were worth your time, areas to avoid, etc?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: September 17, 2021, 11:28:43 AM »
Heading to Columbus for the USA-CRC WCQ next month. I don't know anything about the city other than it's where tOSU is located.

We'll probably be there for two nights. Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, things to do that were worth your time, areas to avoid, etc?

Id stay in Short North for sure.  Great lively area, tons of bars and restaurants.  Also very close to the new Crew stadium.  tOSU is directly North.  Lots of cool stuff there and into Grandview Heights to the West.  Also relatively close to Downtown (not that there is much Downtown in Cbus).  I don't know tons on hotel specifics cause Ive always stayed with a few of my close friends in the city.

Fantastic zoo if the weather is nice.  German Village south of downtown is a really cool area with a bunch of breweries and restaurants.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions or more direct recos.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: September 17, 2021, 11:49:06 AM »
ATL,
  Have you ever been to Gunshow?  Its a bit east of Downtown.  Kevin Gillispe has always been my fav Top Chef alum.  I went to Woodfire Grill when he was still head chef and it was one of the best meals ive ever had.  Also best restaurant Ive ever been to thats a stones throw away from a legendary strip club, shout out to Onyx and Chesire Bridge Rd!
I have not. It does come up as highly ranked in rankings of best restaurants in the city though.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »
ATL,

Prime Quarter and Visions!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »

German Village south of downtown is a really cool area with a bunch of breweries and restaurants.

I don't really know Columbus,like Wags but my company has a sister location in north Columbus.  I had to go there for training about 5 months before COVID hell broke loose.
I had 2-3 hours to kill on a late Sunday afternoon on my way there so I walked around DT a little bit (they tore down a mall and made it into a New England style Green.). I went to dinner in German Village which was very cool with the original brick streets and sidewalks.  I had good schnitzel.  It had much more character them I imagined.

I tried to find the lead singer of 21 Pilots house in Worthington to take a picture for my kids.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2021, 03:17:03 PM »
Go to the Vortex instead. Much better food and a local favorite

That looks cool if I want a burger.  Ty.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: September 17, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
Loews Atlanta.  I think it's in Midtown?  I can get a car if neccessary.

What do you like? What kinds of things do you want to experience?

High end, the STK nears the Lowe’s for food is great. If you like a bit of nature, the Piedmont Park near your hotel is a great stroll and the Park Tavern in the park is a good place for food and/or a drink.
Little Five Points is great for dive bars and a short walk to the Wrecking Bar for good food and beers.
Oh and there is a Taco Mac within walking distance of the hotel, and good food but a heckuva beer selection.

As mentioned by ATL above, this is all pre Covid experience.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:56:18 PM by pbiflyer »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: September 18, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
What do you like? What kinds of things do you want to experience?

High end, the STK nears the Lowe’s for food is great. If you like a bit of nature, the Piedmont Park near your hotel is a great stroll and the Park Tavern in the park is a good place for food and/or a drink.
Little Five Points is great for dive bars and a short walk to the Wrecking Bar for good food and beers.
Oh and there is a Taco Mac within walking distance of the hotel, and good food but a heckuva beer selection.

As mentioned by ATL above, this is all pre Covid experience.

I like all sorts of things.   If I  have time I hope  to hit various areas of a city and Piedmont Park sounds totally up my alley.  I enjoy good food and good beer but am not particularly high maintenance.  Dive bars are great, I always like to chat with the locals.  Tyvm for the suggestions.  It doesn't seem like a car is neccessary unless there's something I'm missing miles outside of the city. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: September 18, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
I like all sorts of things.   If I  have time I hope  to hit various areas of a city and Piedmont Park sounds totally up my alley.  I enjoy good food and good beer but am not particularly high maintenance.  Dive bars are great, I always like to chat with the locals.  Tyvm for the suggestions.  It doesn't seem like a car is neccessary unless there's something I'm missing miles outside of the city.

If you like dive bars with character and live music, checkout the Northside Tavern.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: September 18, 2021, 02:04:41 PM »
One other Atlanta thing, I took the train and then it was like 10 minute walk to MLK national park.  It was just after closure so I did not go into the house or national park building but it was cool to walk down his street and on the front porch of his house, see Ebenezer church, and see his memorial tomb and fountain.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: September 18, 2021, 02:47:13 PM »
Ty Reiko and MU Fan in CT.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: September 18, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
Iz Bones still 'round in Buckhead, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: September 20, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »

One last off the wall suggestion. Oakland cemetery. Final resting place of Bobby Jones. Plus it has some civil war era graves and monuments. Across the street is a good dive bar “Six Feet Under”
If you find yourself in the area.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:36:49 PM by pbiflyer »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: September 20, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »
Headed to NYC Oct 7-10th with the kids (13, 11 & 9).  Looking for a place to stay.  Would prefer Bonvoy as we have F&F with Marriott.   I originally thought Marriott Marquis (which I would never stay at solo or as couple) bc I kind of want to show my kids the most ridiculous New York imagery possible and thought staying 30 floors above Times Square would do that.

A few friends (and Marriott execs) have talked me out of that idea.  Regardless I want to be in a high energy part of town.

Our considerations:

5 of us...My wife & I + 3 kids
Bonvoy members
Connecting rooms would be nice
Club lounge with free breakfast / happy hour drinks would be nice
Pool would be huge but that seems few and far between in NYC.

Any thoughts?  Favorite places to stay in Manhattan?  Thanks!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: September 20, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »
Headed to NYC Oct 7-10th with the kids (13, 11 & 9).  Looking for a place to stay.  Would prefer Bonvoy as we have F&F with Marriott.   I originally thought Marriott Marquis (which I would never stay at solo or as couple) bc I kind of want to show my kids the most ridiculous New York imagery possible and thought staying 30 floors above Times Square would do that.

A few friends (and Marriott execs) have talked me out of that idea.  Regardless I want to be in a high energy part of town.

Our considerations:

Bonvoy members

I stayed at the Westin Times Square with my three kids for a week in July (wife had to work and couldn’t go). There’s no concierge club access there right now (or at any Marriott I’ve stayed at this year). I’m Titanium, and we got upgraded to a suite. Having stayed in NYC a lot in my life, I told my kids to expect a small room (even though it was a suite). I’ve stayed at the Marquis, and at the Renaissance in Midtown, and by far the Westin was the biggest/nicest room I’ve had in the City. No pool there, but location is great. You’re right next to Times Square without being in Times Square. While we were there, all the NBA draft prospects/agents/league personnel were staying at the hotel, it was awesome timing on our part.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: September 20, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »

Our considerations:

Bonvoy members

Lens,
Whenever the wife and I spend a weekend in NYC we stay at a Hilton property roughly at 57th & 6th.
Being two blocks from Central Park is great, a 10 minute walk to Times Square & about 4 different subway stations in very close proximity.  Plenty of restaurants in the area also.
I see a Meriden on 57th & 6th, a Residence Inn on 54th & Broadway, a Courtyard also on 54th & Broadway and a Sheraton on 53rd & 7th.  (I assume the Ritz Carlton on Central Park on 59th is not the nightly price you are seeking.)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: September 20, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
One last off the wall suggestion. Oakland cemetery. Final resting place of Bobby Jones. Plus it has some civil war era graves and monuments. Across the street is a good dive bar “Six Feet Under”

Ha!  Thx again pbiflyer!  I'm just wondering if "Six Feet Under" will cause me stress over my Napoleonic complex or have me worrying about the obvious thoughts of death?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
This is a good call

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: September 20, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
I have a "where not to go" story for Atlanta that I found really funny. Many years ago -- the early 90s -- I worked with someone who was from Atlanta. She told me lots of stories about a really cool place called Underground Atlanta. I filed that information away assuming that some day I might be in ATL.

Fast forward to spring 2015 and I'm going to be spending a a day in ATL with my wife and kids and am looking for things that we might enjoy. I remember hearing about Underground Atlanta so I look it up.  Suffice it to say that the reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor helped us make a pretty quick decision that UA would not be on our agenda. However, reading the reviews actually did provide more than an hour of laughs for all of us. Some highlights from around that time:

• If you love filth and the smell of urine then this is the place for you.
  • So here we are In the mall area thinking that we would have felt safer in a crack house. Don't go there.
  • I repeat do not go here it is done and very unsafe!...Back in the day about 20yrs ago it was the place to be. Not anymore!
  • Don't do it.
  • I think it is the most overrated attraction I've been to in the city of Atlanta and has to be one of the top 10 overrated experiences of my lifetime.
  • It is a hole.
  • Please do not go to underground Atlanta. It's filthy and dangerous.
  • It is eerily run down, filthy. Walk down the urine baptized steps if you are outside and you will wonder why you weren't wearing a HAZMAT suit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:02:45 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: September 20, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »
I thought I actually heard that they were revamping Underground Atlanta a year or two ago.  Don't know if that actually went through but the renderings looked cool

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: September 21, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
To be fair about underground Atlanta if someone visited Milwaukee a couple years ago and went to the grand avenue mall they'd probably say it's disgusting, abandon, etc. Now it's looks like it's going to be an awesome lively part of downtown. Not saying that's what's happened but it's at least worth a search to see if Wags is right about it being revamped
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback