[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205786 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1075 on: September 21, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
To be fair about underground Atlanta if someone visited Milwaukee a couple years ago and went to the grand avenue mall they'd probably say it's disgusting, abandon, etc. Now it's looks like it's going to be an awesome lively part of downtown. Not saying that's what's happened but it's at least worth a search to see if Wags is right about it being revamped

It sounds like maybe it's finally starting to happen.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: September 21, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »
Underground Atlanta was just fine when we went in 1974.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: September 21, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
Underground Atlanta was just fine when we went in 1974.

Same year I was there — my only trip there.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: September 22, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
Ok, in 1977 also, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: September 23, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
Headed to NYC Oct 7-10th with the kids (13, 11 & 9).  Looking for a place to stay.  Would prefer Bonvoy as we have F&F with Marriott.   I originally thought Marriott Marquis (which I would never stay at solo or as couple) bc I kind of want to show my kids the most ridiculous New York imagery possible and thought staying 30 floors above Times Square would do that.

A few friends (and Marriott execs) have talked me out of that idea.  Regardless I want to be in a high energy part of town.

Our considerations:

5 of us...My wife & I + 3 kids
Bonvoy members
Connecting rooms would be nice
Club lounge with free breakfast / happy hour drinks would be nice
Pool would be huge but that seems few and far between in NYC.

Any thoughts?  Favorite places to stay in Manhattan?  Thanks!

Right before Covid, we stayed at the Sheraton Times Square. They have a club lounge that isn't insanely packed like the Marriott Marquis is. Nice place, good location to theatre district and subways.  Oh, and around the corner from the most amazing milkshakes - https://blacktap.com/

But it really depends on what you want.  The Sheraton rooms are decent sized, as stated above, Westin are downright large for NYC. Off the wall suggestion would be the Brooklyn Marriott. Close to the subway. Large rooms, club lounge.
The two Renessaince that I stayed at had tiny rooms.
I'd go with location to what you want to spend the most time around. But I like to walk around.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: September 23, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
Speaking of traveling can we talk about how amazing this Warlus is?  I had a lot of concern "Wally" would not get back to Greenlandic waters but after missing for 22 days he was spotted in Hofn, Iceland recently.  So basically this portly pinniped since April has covered:  Ireland, France, England, Wales, Spain, perhaps Majorca, came back to Ireland, and is now in Iceland?  This guy awesome! Props to everyone who has tried to help in the midst of him sinking small boats!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: September 23, 2021, 12:40:39 PM »
Right before Covid, we stayed at the Sheraton Times Square. They have a club lounge that isn't insanely packed like the Marriott Marquis is. Nice place, good location to theatre district and subways.  Oh, and around the corner from the most amazing milkshakes - https://blacktap.com/

But it really depends on what you want.  The Sheraton rooms are decent sized, as stated above, Westin are downright large for NYC. Off the wall suggestion would be the Brooklyn Marriott. Close to the subway. Large rooms, club lounge.
The two Renessaince that I stayed at had tiny rooms.
I'd go with location to what you want to spend the most time around. But I like to walk around.

Dammit, we walked right past BlackTap.  I wanted to stop, but we skipped it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: September 23, 2021, 02:14:41 PM »
Heading down to Phoenix/Scottsdale for the weekend and bored of the same things I do every time. Any suggestions for a solid brewery to check out (that I haven't been to before), off the beaten path food, best burger, speakeasy style bars, or the like please recommend.

Will also take recommendations for breweries in Atlanta as that wasn't covered yet and I'm heading there in three weeks.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: September 24, 2021, 04:53:16 AM »
Headed to NYC Oct 7-10th with the kids (13, 11 & 9).  Looking for a place to stay.  Would prefer Bonvoy as we have F&F with Marriott.   I originally thought Marriott Marquis (which I would never stay at solo or as couple) bc I kind of want to show my kids the most ridiculous New York imagery possible and thought staying 30 floors above Times Square would do that.

A few friends (and Marriott execs) have talked me out of that idea.  Regardless I want to be in a high energy part of town.

Our considerations:

5 of us...My wife & I + 3 kids
Bonvoy members
Connecting rooms would be nice
Club lounge with free breakfast / happy hour drinks would be nice
Pool would be huge but that seems few and far between in NYC.

Any thoughts?  Favorite places to stay in Manhattan?  Thanks!
As a marriott Titanium lifer who spent a lot of time traveling to NYC pre-covid I found the Residence Inns to be best value because breakfast is included, rooms are pretty large, they are pretty new, and have good locations.  ALL USA marriott's I've tried recently still have exec lounge closed or very limited so paying for the top brand is useless because they are not delivering on the value proposition.  My recommendations:
Residence Inn New York Manhattan Central Park - great location for walking everywhere
Residence Inn new York Manhattan Midtown East
Good luck!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: September 24, 2021, 05:57:55 AM »
Heading down to Phoenix/Scottsdale for the weekend and bored of the same things I do every time. Any suggestions for a solid brewery to check out (that I haven't been to before), off the beaten path food, best burger, speakeasy style bars, or the like please recommend.

Will also take recommendations for breweries in Atlanta as that wasn't covered yet and I'm heading there in three weeks.

When in PHX always Wren House and Little Miss BBQ.

But I'm sure you've done both.  ;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: September 24, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »
When in PHX always Wren House and Little Miss BBQ.

But I'm sure you've done both.  ;D

Done wren house, but only just read about Little Miss about a week ago does it live up to the hype?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #1086 on: September 24, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
Best suggestion for Phoenix is, don’t go.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: September 24, 2021, 10:06:17 AM »
Best suggestion for Phoenix is, don’t go.

Overall it's not my cup of tea, but I've found some (few and far between) unique great things. The issue is that I've done said unique things three weekends a year since college... outside of Arizona wilderness opening the spot in town there's not much that's been added to my list.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: September 24, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »
Done wren house, but only just read about Little Miss about a week ago does it live up to the hype?

Oh, 100%.  At least the original location.  My friends and I visited their 'new' location and they weren't as impressed.  Though it was still damn good.

As always, get the brisket and whatever the special of the day is.  Hopefully its pastrami.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: September 28, 2021, 08:09:24 AM »
Oh, 100%.  At least the original location.  My friends and I visited their 'new' location and they weren't as impressed.  Though it was still damn good.

As always, get the brisket and whatever the special of the day is.  Hopefully its pastrami.

No pastrami but that was some damn good bbq, thanks for the tip.

great: Brisket, ribs pulled pork, beef rib, and sauces.

Not great but still good: sausage
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: September 29, 2021, 12:43:41 PM »
Id stay in Short North for sure.  Great lively area, tons of bars and restaurants.  Also very close to the new Crew stadium.  tOSU is directly North.  Lots of cool stuff there and into Grandview Heights to the West.  Also relatively close to Downtown (not that there is much Downtown in Cbus).  I don't know tons on hotel specifics cause Ive always stayed with a few of my close friends in the city.

Fantastic zoo if the weather is nice.  German Village south of downtown is a really cool area with a bunch of breweries and restaurants.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions or more direct recos.

Thank you. Booked an Airbnb in Short North on High Street. Will check out German Village as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: September 29, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
No pastrami but that was some damn good bbq, thanks for the tip.

great: Brisket, ribs pulled pork, beef rib, and sauces.

Not great but still good: sausage

Hell yeah, good to hear.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: September 30, 2021, 07:34:46 AM »
Atlanta?

“Agave,” for Southwestern, New Mexican cuisine. It’s about a mile and a half SE of downtown, and about 3 miles from Georgia Tech.

Decatur, GA?

The aunt of the owners of La Merenda in Milwaukee and Engine Co. No 3. has a restaurant and deli there.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: September 30, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Atlanta?

“Agave,” for Southwestern, New Mexican cuisine. It’s about a mile and a half SE of downtown, and about 3 miles from Georgia Tech.

Decatur, GA?

The aunt of the owners of La Merenda in Milwaukee and Engine Co. No 3. has a restaurant and deli there.

Agave is near the cemetery and 6 feet under bar.  I will have to check it out next time.

What's the name of the restaurant in Decatur with the MKE connection?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: September 30, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »
Agave is near the cemetery and 6 feet under bar.  I will have to check it out next time.

What's the name of the restaurant in Decatur with the MKE connection?

Yep. “Agave” is on Boulevard. You can walk from those reference points.

I had too many D’s on my brain, Decatur, Dekalb etc…it’s Dunwoody, GA which is in DeKalb County…so a couple of miles or so from Sandy Springs and about less than 10 miles North of Buckhead.

It’s called “E. 48th Street Market.” (just tell them a friend of Peter Sandroni suggested it) It’s very good. Very nice people.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:46:40 PM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: September 30, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
Hmmm...ty.  I would have never thought of SW food in the SE.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: October 01, 2021, 06:24:37 AM »
Hmmm...ty.  I would have never thought of SW food in the SE.

There is actually a true southern restaurant that’s very good in Atlanta. 10 Degrees South. It’s South African.  ;D

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: October 01, 2021, 07:09:31 AM »
There is actually a true southern restaurant that’s very good in Atlanta. 10 Degrees South. It’s South African.  ;D
It is a sign of how boring my life is that I have lived in this area for 16 years and know less about restaurants in the city than someone who doesn’t live here at all. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: October 11, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
Just got back from weekend in NYC.  Thanks to Dish on his Westin Times Square recommendation, that worked out well.

NYC was fantastic.  My biggest takeaway is they are very serious on Vaxx requirement, every restaurant / bar asks for it from high end to dives BUT after that it's wide open.  Places are filled to capacity plus new parklets outside.  They don't seem to have any of the labor issues that Wisconsin is facing.  It was great to be out in packed & bustling spots again. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: October 11, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
Just got back from weekend in NYC.  Thanks to Dish on his Westin Times Square recommendation, that worked out well.

NYC was fantastic.  My biggest takeaway is they are very serious on Vaxx requirement, every restaurant / bar asks for it from high end to dives BUT after that it's wide open.  Places are filled to capacity plus new parklets outside.  They don't seem to have any of the labor issues that Wisconsin is facing.  It was great to be out in packed & bustling spots again.

Great to hear Lens!