[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205788 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 19, 2022, 09:05:17 PM »
For a first time visitor to NYC, he's not wrong.  Its a hike from Manhattan and all the traditional sights and destinations, and when talking about Citi Field, you're not going to get a great Queens experience from Willets Point.

Its a neighborhood every regular traveler to NYC should do at some point, and the food scene is INCREDIBLE, but I'd never recommend it to first time or relatively inexperienced NYC guests who want to do "NYC stuff".

I didn't mean Citi Field specifically. Still think there's plenty of Queens convenient enough though

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2022, 09:27:06 PM »
Not trying to make it too COVID specific, but has anyone flown last night or today?  Curious what mask/no mask numbers are like.

I'm seeing stuff all over the place, but it sort of feels like the anecdotal evidence is slanted to what that person favors.  People who are over masks are saying "80% maskless and the FAs are all maskless and happy"  but people who don't like how or why or that the mandate was overturned are stated stuff like "most people are still wearing masks, including employees"

We were on a flight last night. Pilot announced it as we were beginning initial descent. Came off as more or less neutral. Some scattered applause. Flight attendants all ditched them but I couldn't really see many passengers beyond our immediate vicinity who all seemed to keep them on. Airport was about 50% masked vs about 90% when we left last week.

Personally, I think it was dumb for the airlines to make an immediate change. Really puts people in a tough position when they got on a plane under one situation only to have it switched mid air. Don't see the harm in announcing that policy would change the next day or day after to give staff and passengers a heads up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2022, 10:02:30 PM »
Gotta agree with ol' Joe on this one when asked today if people should continue to wear masks on airplanes. He said,  "That's up to them."

Same is true for the three different people I saw today in three different cars, each wearing masks while driving alone in their cars.  "That's up to them."

They're just so comfortable I don't realize I have mine on.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1403 on: April 19, 2022, 10:09:37 PM »
I didn't mean Citi Field specifically. Still think there's plenty of Queens convenient enough though

Sure but I wouldn't recommend any of the other boroughs for a first time visitor, regardless, unless they wanted to go to a Mets or Yankees game, or Brooklyn Heights if they were headed to Barclays.

When I lived in Chicago it was the same thing, I always had to catch myself.  Neighborhoods that weren't that "out of the way" for me on a normal weekend or whatnot weren't necessarily the right move for a first time visitor expecting to see the typical sights.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: April 19, 2022, 10:47:14 PM »
I’m hoping to watch the Brewers play in Boston at the end of July.  Does anyone have an itinerary from a trip they’ve taken (7/8 days) that includes 2 days or so in Boston plus visits to other NE areas (Cape, MV, Newport, Maine, etc)?  Would love suggestions for hotels/lodging and restaurants in those places as well.

For my money, Boston is the most walkable city in the country. If you enjoy checking out cool new neighborhoods, I would suggest:

1. Easy "T" ride (subway) from anywhere in Boston to Fenway for Brewers/Sox game. Soooo many bars, restaurants, etc to check out.

2. Immediately adjacent (East) to the Fenway neighborhood is Back Bay Boston---very ecclectic, very historical, very cool. If the plethora of bars and streetside cafes don't interest you, simply stroll down Boylston Street, Newberry Street, Beacon Street or Commonwealth Avenue and take in the architecture of 200+ year old buildings.

3. If you walk the Freedom Trail (and I would highly recommend it) it will take you into the Old North End, probably the most extensive Italian neighborhood in the country. The eating and drinking possibilities are endless.

All of these things are very close together and can be easily walked.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1405 on: April 20, 2022, 09:33:02 AM »
Sure but I wouldn't recommend any of the other boroughs for a first time visitor, regardless, unless they wanted to go to a Mets or Yankees game, or Brooklyn Heights if they were headed to Barclays.

When I lived in Chicago it was the same thing, I always had to catch myself.  Neighborhoods that weren't that "out of the way" for me on a normal weekend or whatnot weren't necessarily the right move for a first time visitor expecting to see the typical sights.

Fair enough on a first visit, but I think it comes down to how much someone wants the most famous tourist sites vs. the real feel of a place. Can't really go wrong with either when it's NYC though.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: April 20, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
Dish said, “Going into Queens is worthless.”

And several people strongly disagreed with that statement. What he didn’t say was don’t go there on your first visit because you don’t have time in 1.5 days. That would have been a different statement. And it would have had more agreement/understanding.

1.5 day visit to NYC isn’t much time. 4 to 5 days would be much easier to hit up more things and places.

Every visitor has different interests, approach to travel, even widely varied physical capabilities etc…

If Dish doesn’t like Queens, that’s fine. I like it. Some others like it. And, we said as much. If he had said Queens is challenging to do with only 1.5 days. That would be understandable.

Walking through Times Square on your first visit is part of the first time experience. Just make sure you do it at night. That seems to go without saying but you never know. Wrapping up your night walking through it or before doing other things is certainly a recommended part of a first time NYC visitor’s experience.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:27:26 AM by shoothoops »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1407 on: April 20, 2022, 12:29:24 PM »
The ruling will be appealed.

What's the point?  It should be let go, it expires on 5/2 anyway.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1408 on: April 20, 2022, 04:32:34 PM »
For my money, Boston is the most walkable city in the country. If you enjoy checking out cool new neighborhoods, I would suggest:

1. Easy "T" ride (subway) from anywhere in Boston to Fenway for Brewers/Sox game. Soooo many bars, restaurants, etc to check out.

2. Immediately adjacent (East) to the Fenway neighborhood is Back Bay Boston---very ecclectic, very historical, very cool. If the plethora of bars and streetside cafes don't interest you, simply stroll down Boylston Street, Newberry Street, Beacon Street or Commonwealth Avenue and take in the architecture of 200+ year old buildings.

3. If you walk the Freedom Trail (and I would highly recommend it) it will take you into the Old North End, probably the most extensive Italian neighborhood in the country. The eating and drinking possibilities are endless.

All of these things are very close together and can be easily walked.

Agreed. Visit. Don't move there. They are called Mpretty boys for a reason.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2022, 05:35:58 PM »
What's the point?  It should be let go, it expires on 5/2 anyway.

I agree with you completely but as I suspected the CDC is appealing the ruling.  Why?  We live in a polarized and troubled society for starters.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1410 on: April 20, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
I agree with you completely but as I suspected the CDC is appealing the ruling.  Why?  We live in a polarized and troubled society for starters.

Yeah I'm guessing they're appealing to maintain their power over future mandates.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: April 21, 2022, 08:57:35 AM »
I had a quick trip to Denver Tuesday-this morning. Flight out maybe 10% of people on board had masks on. I developed a sinus infection sometime over the last few days, so I wore a mask on the flight home.

My Queens comment was in reference to a first time visitor, I’m not going to pretend this is an apples/apples comp, but it’d be like going to Chicago for the first time, and spending half a day in Rosemont (based on location to the city/traffic). I should have worded my initial comment differently.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1412 on: April 21, 2022, 10:33:13 AM »
My Queens comment was in reference to a first time visitor, I’m not going to pretend this is an apples/apples comp, but it’d be like going to Chicago for the first time, and spending half a day in Rosemont (based on location to the city/traffic). I should have worded my initial comment differently.

Totally fair, Dish. I think shoothoops' response made mine sound more argumentative, which was not the intent.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1413 on: April 21, 2022, 10:48:26 AM »
Totally fair, Dish. I think shoothoops' response made mine sound more argumentative, which was not the intent.

All good! I actually didn't take it as argumentative, it made me realize I should have added context to my initial comment. I should have said going to a Mets game for a first time visitor is worthless (I'd say the same thing if someone came to Chicago for the first time and was thinking of going to a Sox game). I wish my work trips to NYC allowed me more time to explore.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: April 21, 2022, 10:53:25 AM »

Various people responded, including myself, because he didn’t elaborate, and, we can only go by what we read. He has since clarified.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: April 21, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »
Yeah I'm guessing they're appealing to maintain their power over future mandates.

That's accurate.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1416 on: April 21, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »
Was at ORD and MCO yesterday.

At ORD, 75 percent of the people we saw were unmasked. At the B Concourse United Club, it was about 90 percent

There were slightly more masked people at MCO yesterday -- maybe 70 percent of the people we saw were unmasked.

We aint getting that toothpaste back in the tube. Period.

I agree with the previous poster who contended the Justice Department appeal was to preserve the regulatory authority of the CDC. There's absolutely no way you're getting masks again. There would be open revolt.

As to the surveys that say the majority of people in the USA want mask mandates, yeah right! I know what I saw yesterday and I believe actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1417 on: April 21, 2022, 02:48:56 PM »
Was at ORD and MCO yesterday.

At ORD, 75 percent of the people we saw were unmasked. At the B Concourse United Club, it was about 90 percent

There were slightly more masked people at MCO yesterday -- maybe 70 percent of the people we saw were unmasked.

We aint getting that toothpaste back in the tube. Period.

I agree with the previous poster who contended the Justice Department appeal was to preserve the regulatory authority of the CDC. There's absolutely no way you're getting masks again. There would be open revolt.

As to the surveys that say the majority of people in the USA want mask mandates, yeah right! I know what I saw yesterday and I believe actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words.
Anecdotes are not data, right?

My nephew just told me the same thing last night (75% no masks) when I picked him up at O'hare.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1418 on: April 21, 2022, 03:24:39 PM »
Anecdotes are not data, right?

My nephew just told me the same thing last night (75% no masks) when I picked him up at O'hare.

I dropped my mother off at the airport yesterday morning in Cleveland. I waited with her for about 30 minutes in pre-security area. I'd estimate that it was 75-80% maskless.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1419 on: April 21, 2022, 03:58:52 PM »

Just flew yesterday, and agree it's *maybe* 30% still masking.  But I'm not sure that is a true tell on preferences. I think I'd prefer everyone (including myself) were wearing masks for sanitary reasons, but if the majority aren't I figured it wasn't going to do me any good.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1420 on: April 21, 2022, 04:26:12 PM »
Omaha to Denver and then Denver to Oakland…few had masks in terminal but more out masks on once boarding and on plane (us included). Probably 33% participation on way to Denver but probably 50% Denver to Oakland. Didn’t see a single airline employee with mask on, which was more interesting.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1421 on: April 21, 2022, 04:28:33 PM »
Omaha to Denver and then Denver to Oakland…few had masks in terminal but more out masks on once boarding and on plane (us included). Probably 33% participation on way to Denver but probably 50% Denver to Oakland. Didn’t see a single airline employee with mask on, which was more interesting.

Funny you say that, I thought the same thing about the airline employees. I saw only one (flight attendant out of Denver) with a mask on during my travels this week.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1422 on: April 22, 2022, 06:12:39 AM »

To be fair, the barrier to entry to work for an airline is that you can pass a background check... that's it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: April 22, 2022, 08:14:53 AM »
To be fair, the barrier to entry to work for an airline is that you can pass a background check... that's it.
I work pretty closely with a major airline. For each FA job opening they have, they get about 1000 applications. They can afford to be very picky about who they hire.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1424 on: April 22, 2022, 09:59:45 AM »

Why do you assume they are idiots instead of the fact that they are all vaccinated, have had masks on all of their working hours for 2 years, unlike most people, and are just happy to have them off?