[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 207346 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 11, 2022, 04:52:58 PM »
Congratulations.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: February 11, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
Heading to Maldives and then the UAE for my honeymoon starting next weekend.

We moved our reservation in the Maldives to accommodate a resort stay we were able to find an opening for in Dubai.  In doing so, my wife mistakenly planned a 2 day date change on our flight there from Chicago instead of just 1 (leaving the wee hours of the morning of the 19th, arriving the morning of the 20th in Male).  So our reservation begins the 21st.

So arranging our seaplane, I tell the hotel whoops, we messed up our dates so we will be spending a night at a beachfront hotel in Male and then proceeding as planned on the morning of the 21st.   Well, come to find out, they will ONLY receive guests directly from the airport due to COVID, nowhere else, not even other Marriott properties in the country.  You need a negative test to even board a flight to the Maldives, and Marriott does all their own testing and whatnot when you arrive, but I guess its their way of completely negating any additional risk.

Thank GOD they had another "reasonable" (only in the Maldives would I consider the price reasonable and only since the rest of the stay is on points) room at the property for the 20th otherwise I'm not sure what we would have done as they casually suggested we just "change your flight to a day later" as if thats a simple easy solution  ::)  At the end of the day, it was our mistake, I have to respect rules even if it seems a bit much, but could be worse...though they definitely tried to double charge us for seaplane flights and then continued to argue as I had 2 reservations which means 2 round trips per person  :o

AY PAPI QUE RICO ES

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: February 11, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »
AY PAPI QUE RICO ES

Miles and points, miles and points.  Get to pretend to be a big shot on a grinder's budget

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: February 11, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
I just hope you won't be missing any Marquette games, young man!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1354 on: February 11, 2022, 07:36:17 PM »
Congrats on the nuptials Wags!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: February 11, 2022, 09:21:34 PM »
Congrats on the nuptials Wags!

Thank you! Happened back in July but we put the honeymoon on ice for worse weather and hopefully less COVID chaos risk  8-)

I just hope you won't be missing any Marquette games, young man!

10-11 hour time difference? Pssh. The internet is a beautiful thing. All my years of traveling to Asia have primed me for off hours Marquette enjoyment, no sweat

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: March 05, 2022, 05:23:16 AM »
Currently traveling back from the Middle East.  Just stumbled into the biggest COVID travel contrast. 

Spent the last weekend in the UAE. Literally days before we arrived the last week of Feb they dropped their mask mandate, oh wait, their OUTDOOR mask mandate. So we still saw a decent amount of outdoor mask wearing, and not just being in transit, like strolling around outside and along the water.  Felt like NYC circa May 2020.

Now we had a 4 hour layover in Zurich and Switzerland has dropped masks everywhere but public transportation and hospitals, basically.  So the entire airport is maskless, including employees. It’s been delightful. I mean Wisconsin is pretty mask free but it’s kind of wild seeing everyone from passengers to employees to TSA/police all without masks.  Here’s to hoping this is the trend over the next month or two

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: March 05, 2022, 05:46:25 AM »
Covid was over March 1, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: March 05, 2022, 09:23:11 AM »
Covid was over March 1, aina?

Someone please tell them to drop the public transport mandate then.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: March 05, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Currently traveling back from the Middle East.  Just stumbled into the biggest COVID travel contrast. 

Spent the last weekend in the UAE. Literally days before we arrived the last week of Feb they dropped their mask mandate, oh wait, their OUTDOOR mask mandate. So we still saw a decent amount of outdoor mask wearing, and not just being in transit, like strolling around outside and along the water.  Felt like NYC circa May 2020.

Now we had a 4 hour layover in Zurich and Switzerland has dropped masks everywhere but public transportation and hospitals, basically.  So the entire airport is maskless, including employees. It’s been delightful. I mean Wisconsin is pretty mask free but it’s kind of wild seeing everyone from passengers to employees to TSA/police all without masks.  Here’s to hoping this is the trend over the next month or two

I was just in Maui for a week and Oahu for a week. Maui was the first week, and masks were totally optional, no restaurants checked any vaccine record. Oahu, complete opposite, mandatory masks, Covid vaccine enforcement at restaurants was strong. It was like two totally different vacations.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: March 06, 2022, 12:26:28 PM »
Due to some commitments by my daughter, we had to rearrange our summer trip and will be in Cologne for Mrs pbiflyer’s birthday. I’ve been to Cologne exactly one day and just saw the highlights, so not well versed in the area, though I can tell you where to find the worst Irish pub in Bonn is.  ;D

Any wow type things we can do for her birthday? Great restaurants? We can actually head anywhere in the area by train, so suggestions a bit away are good as well.
Oh, and skip the beer suggestions, she like me, hates Kolsch beer. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1361 on: April 15, 2022, 08:04:49 AM »
Traveling to NYC next month for a conference, first time ever seeing the city. Have about 1.5 days ahead of the conference to do tourist things. Want to check out 9/11 memorial, probably Statue of Liberty. What’s the best way to visit Statue of Liberty. Any other tourist things I must experience (insert subway joke here)?

Also Yankees aren’t in town but Mets are. Worth going to a game?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: April 15, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »
Traveling to NYC next month for a conference, first time ever seeing the city. Have about 1.5 days ahead of the conference to do tourist things. Want to check out 9/11 memorial, probably Statue of Liberty. What’s the best way to visit Statue of Liberty. Any other tourist things I must experience (insert subway joke here)?

Also Yankees aren’t in town but Mets are. Worth going to a game?

1.5 days isn’t a lot of time to do a lot of things. If those are your interests, you may want to go to 9/11 Memorial. Then, while in Lower Manhattan, take the free Staten Island Ferry which goes past the Statue of Liberty to Staten Island. (Don’t get off of the Ferry) and then ride the Ferry back to Manhattan.

You can also walk the High Line near there and see Chelsea Piers and Food Hall. Or you can go on the East Side and walk the Brooklyn Bridge from there. If you go early morning, grab your bacon egg and cheese bagel and coffee and go. If if later on, grab your pizza slice and head to the next thing. With limited time, I’d be more inclined to eat on the go.

The idea is to pick a neighborhood and geography and do and build on multiple things in that area. Or, if there is an event, game or show at a certain time in a certain geography, you plan around that by building out from that area.

This will give you more time to do and see other things on your list.

You can either take the 7 train to the Mets game. Or for a few bucks more with more comfort/relaxation, you can take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) from the Penn Station location as well.
Seeing a game and experiencing a game is always a fun experience. Neither stadium is what I would consider among the league’s best. But that doesn’t matter much.

Do you know the exact dates? If so, attending a local event, activity, show, game, or festival etc…at the time is recommended. There’s always something going on.

The list of things to see and do is pretty long based on individual interests. If you have a nice weather day, I’d at least see Central Park during the day for a little while. While there or near, you can stop by the Rockefeller Center area and consider going to the Top of The Rock for some views. ($40 I believe) unlimited time. They don’t care if you stay up there a little while.

Your time is limited. So just pick something or a few things and build out from there. You will have many choices.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: April 15, 2022, 09:47:00 AM »
1.5 days isn’t a lot of time to do a lot of things. If those are your interests, you may want to go to 9/11 Memorial. Then, while in Lower Manhattan, take the free Staten Island Ferry which goes past the Statue of Liberty to Staten Island. (Don’t get off of the Ferry) and then ride the Ferry back to Manhattan.

You can also walk the High Line near there and see Chelsea Piers and Food Hall. Or you can go on the East Side and walk the Brooklyn Bridge from there. If you go early morning, grab your bacon egg and cheese bagel and coffee and go. If if later on, grab your pizza slice and head to the next thing. With limited time, I’d be more inclined to eat on the go.

The idea is to pick a neighborhood and geography and do and build on multiple things in that area. Or, if there is an event, game or show at a certain time in a certain geography, you plan around that by building out from that area.

This will give you more time to do and see other things on your list.

You can either take the 7 train to the Mets game. Or for a few bucks more with more comfort/relaxation, you can take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) from the Penn Station location as well.
Seeing a game and experiencing a game is always a fun experience. Neither stadium is what I would consider among the league’s best. But that doesn’t matter much.

Do you know the exact dates? If so, attending a local event, activity, show, game, or festival etc…at the time is recommended. There’s always something going on.

The list of things to see and do is pretty long based on individual interests. If you have a nice weather day, I’d at least see Central Park during the day for a little while. While there or near, you can stop by the Rockefeller Center area and consider going to the Top of The Rock for some views. ($40 I believe) unlimited time. They don’t care if you stay up there a little while.

Your time is limited. So just pick something or a few things and build out from there. You will have many choices.

I'll second most of this... Except skip the Mets game (not that hoops was endorsing it).  It'll take up way too much of your time to get there and then you're stuck watching the freaking METS instead of enjoying the city.

If you don't know which part of the city to check out primarily (to avoid wasted time on the subway) I recommend Chelsea, Greenwich Village, "Little Italy" Chinatown, and LES, in that order.  Times Square might sound enticing... but the food choices are abysmal, and the area is just ads.  The park should be fully in bloom when you're there, and I highly recommend walking around it. 

If you need to catch a bite off the high line walk in Chelsea, grab some tacos in the Chelsea market at Los Tacos No 1.

If you're going to stop at one tavern in the city make it McSorely's.  Bring cash and enjoy the history.  Be sure to ask about the wishbones over the bar.

If you have time and want to check out a museum, I've always enjoyed the Tenement Museum in the LES... plus there are a TON of great food options in the area... even Katz's if you want to visit the famous deli (the portions are gigantic, and it's very expensive).

I've never done the museum at ground zero because I don't particularly want to revisit the emotional horror of that day.  I've visited the outdoor memorial twice and that was enough for me.

Bring your vax card, just in case.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: April 15, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
Yep. Any game or show etc will take up most of that night. Maybe go back Labor Day Weekend and double dip the U.S. Open Tennis and a Mets game by walking back and forth. (They are home this year). That way you make a day of it in Queens and grab some good ethnic food etc…in the neighborhood as well.

Then in the same weekend you could do Brasilian Day in Midtown combined with things near there that day on a separate day of the same weekend. West Indian Labor Day Parade on that weekend too etc…or hit a flea market on the Upper West Side or event near Washington Square Park etc..and all of a sudden you have a pretty good weekend going.

I usually just cater to someone else’s interests even if they aren’t mine, unless specifically asked about a thing to see or do, or a place, which is much easier to answer.

But with limited time, you will want to make smart choices. Example, I would see the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the 80’s off of the Park. But you won’t have time to go inside because it is more of an all day thing and you don’t have that kind of time.

I do recommend getting and staying outside as much as possible during good weather days and good weather parts of the year as much as possible.

Wear comfortable shoes.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: April 15, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »

I'll second most of this... Except skip the Mets game (not that hoops was endorsing it).  It'll take up way too much of your time to get there and then you're stuck watching the freaking METS instead of enjoying the city.

If you don't know which part of the city to check out primarily (to avoid wasted time on the subway) I recommend Chelsea, Greenwich Village, "Little Italy" Chinatown, and LES, in that order.  Times Square might sound enticing... but the food choices are abysmal, and the area is just ads.  The park should be fully in bloom when you're there, and I highly recommend walking around it. 

If you need to catch a bite off the high line walk in Chelsea, grab some tacos in the Chelsea market at Los Tacos No 1.

If you're going to stop at one tavern in the city make it McSorely's.  Bring cash and enjoy the history.  Be sure to ask about the wishbones over the bar.

If you have time and want to check out a museum, I've always enjoyed the Tenement Museum in the LES... plus there are a TON of great food options in the area... even Katz's if you want to visit the famous deli (the portions are gigantic, and it's very expensive).

I've never done the museum at ground zero because I don't particularly want to revisit the emotional horror of that day.  I've visited the outdoor memorial twice and that was enough for me.

Bring your vax card, just in case.

These are all spot on suggestions. I don't think you will get better advice. Though McSorleys can get packed and have a wait to get in.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: April 15, 2022, 10:25:30 AM »
So, wife and I recently signed up for global entry. Got approved about 48 hours after application submission. But it's been nearly impossible to get the interview scheduled. Seems like there's nothing available in the entire Midwest until the fall.

Any advice?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: April 15, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
So, wife and I recently signed up for global entry. Got approved about 48 hours after application submission. But it's been nearly impossible to get the interview scheduled. Seems like there's nothing available in the entire Midwest until the fall.

Any advice?

Do you have an flights scheduled?  Cause you can do it at some of the airports with more availability.

Thats interesting to hear cause both my initial interview and my renewal interviews were easy breazy whenever I wanted.  I did the renewal in MKE in the fall even.

Unfortunate that its initial and not a renewal cause the grace period for renewal, due to staffing, is literally like 2 years.  So when I renewed and paid my fee, I had something like 500 days before I had to do the interview while my status was still active and working.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: April 15, 2022, 10:30:22 AM »
I'll zig where others might zag here, but definitely go to Times Square. It's NYC, and if it's your first time there, you should at least walk through it. It doesn't take long, it's an interesting spectacle that no other city in the US has. It's also a quick walk to Rockefeller Center/Radio City from there. The MLB flagship store is right across from NBC, it's actually pretty cool.

As far as the Statue of Liberty, you can go to Battery Park and take the ferry that will take you to the island to walk around the grounds.

Definitely skip the Mets game, going into Queens is worthless, and that ballpark is nothing special.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: April 15, 2022, 10:35:01 AM »
Do you have an flights scheduled?  Cause you can do it at some of the airports with more availability.

Thats interesting to hear cause both my initial interview and my renewal interviews were easy breazy whenever I wanted.  I did the renewal in MKE in the fall even.

Unfortunate that its initial and not a renewal cause the grace period for renewal, due to staffing, is literally like 2 years.  So when I renewed and paid my fee, I had something like 500 days before I had to do the interview while my status was still active and working.

We are going to Ireland in June. So, I think we can do the interview when we come back? Is that right? And it doesn't need scheduled?

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: April 15, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »
I’m hoping to watch the Brewers play in Boston at the end of July.  Does anyone have an itinerary from a trip they’ve taken (7/8 days) that includes 2 days or so in Boston plus visits to other NE areas (Cape, MV, Newport, Maine, etc)?  Would love suggestions for hotels/lodging and restaurants in those places as well. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: April 15, 2022, 11:23:52 AM »
Definitely skip the Mets game, going into Queens is worthless, and that ballpark is nothing special.

Hard disagree, my favorite food borough in NYC by a mile....HOWEVA, for the purposes of a first time visitor, I very much agree.

I'm a pretty big Top of the Rock hater.  Its just WAYYY too much of a tourist mess.  I always recommend going to the Rainbow Room in 30 Rock as an alternative.  Otherwise, 2 of the newer observation decks are great.  One at Hudson Yards (which works well if you do the Highline and Chelsea Market...which is fantastic.  The Market is brilliant on all levels.) and then One Vanderbilt, which is a brand new supertall near Grand Central.  It has a very cool observation deck called Summit.

If you go to Chelsea Market, you MUST go to Miznon.  Upscale Israeli street food.  Its arguably one of my top 3 food spots, all genres included, in NYC...seriously.

We are going to Ireland in June. So, I think we can do the interview when we come back? Is that right? And it doesn't need scheduled?

Don't quote me on the scheduling part, but otherwise yep, thats how you can do it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: April 15, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »
I'll zig where others might zag here, but definitely go to Times Square. It's NYC, and if it's your first time there, you should at least walk through it. It doesn't take long, it's an interesting spectacle that no other city in the US has. It's also a quick walk to Rockefeller Center/Radio City from there. The MLB flagship store is right across from NBC, it's actually pretty cool.

As far as the Statue of Liberty, you can go to Battery Park and take the ferry that will take you to the island to walk around the grounds.

Agree. In my international travels to a new city, I'd sign up for the touristic tours with the concierge my first visit. You get to see most of the sites, they can get you there the most efficiently.

They are cheesy, but you hit the check marks, get a feel for the geography, get an idea of places you want to really spend time at, gain some history so you can talk the culture and get tips.  On this visit and future visits, you then know what you really want to spend quality time on (for example, Ellis Island is far more interesting than climbing the Statue of Liberty).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: April 15, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »
I’m hoping to watch the Brewers play in Boston at the end of July.  Does anyone have an itinerary from a trip they’ve taken (7/8 days) that includes 2 days or so in Boston plus visits to other NE areas (Cape, MV, Newport, Maine, etc)?  Would love suggestions for hotels/lodging and restaurants in those places as well.

Boston eats, drinks and dos:  Row 34 (get some Aunt Dotty Oysters... trust me), Harpoon Brewery (great tour and beer), Freedom Trail (Historical walk)

Haven't been to the Cape or MV, so I'm no help there.

Newport we only went to the Breakers, and it was amazing.  We did go to an Oyster/seafood place about 30 min away called Matunuck Oysters... they farm them 10ft away from the restaurant... can you tell I like oysters?

Maine... is a big state.  I've driven everywhere up the coast from Portland to Bar Harbor... but that is a longish drive (3h with no stops).  Portland is a cool city.  Did a tasting menu... which was great, but that was 8 years ago...  Bar Harbor is neat and very close to Acadia National Park... But if you do the drive, be SURE to stop at Red's Eats for a Lobster roll.  You think you want to share one, but I promise you'll want your own.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: April 15, 2022, 12:47:30 PM »

Most MLB away teams in Boston stay at the Westin at Copley. I love that hotel and have made it my go to in Boston. Location is great, walkable to great shops/restaurants/some historic things. I don’t claim to know Boston well, but it offers so much, it’s one city I always wish I had more time in.

I very much like the Wentworth (Portsmouth, NH) as a hotel stop when going between Boston and beaches in southern Maine. I do say this as a Marriott snob with points to burn regarding the Wentworth, fwiw.