[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 207391 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1375 on: April 15, 2022, 12:48:32 PM »
These are all spot on suggestions. I don't think you will get better advice. Though McSorleys can get packed and have a wait to get in.
If you're missing home, there's always Kettle of Fish in the Village.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: April 15, 2022, 01:49:44 PM »
In Boston, we did a historical bar crawl which was a lot of fun. We also did a guided Freedom Trail walking tour which helped us knock out most of the main sites pretty quickly with a guide. Harpoon Brewery was pretty cool.

We took the ferry to Provincetown and did a sand dune tour which was definitely worth it. We then walked around and just soaked in the surroundings before taking the ferry back.

For Newport, we did a mansion tour that wasn’t Breakers which was really cool. I’ve heard Breakers is the one to do though. We also went to the Tennis Hall of Fame. I grew up playing tennis so found it interesting. I’m not sure if the pro tournament would be going on at that time. We also did Sunday mass at the church JFK and Jackie got married. We did a sunset boat tour which was beautiful and got to see some beautiful homes.

Feel free to PM me with any specifics.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: April 15, 2022, 01:56:42 PM »
If you're missing home, there's always Kettle of Fish in the Village.

Something tells me that Creighton warrior might not be interested in a Wisconsin stylized bar...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: April 15, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
Has anyone ever stayed at a "Canopy by Hilton"?  If so what would you compare it to chain wise?  It seems pretty decent but I'm surprised it's cheaper than the Hampton Inn in D.C by the Du Pont Circle area. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: April 15, 2022, 06:07:01 PM »
So, wife and I recently signed up for global entry. Got approved about 48 hours after application submission. But it's been nearly impossible to get the interview scheduled. Seems like there's nothing available in the entire Midwest until the fall.

Any advice?

Plenty of availability for interviews in Milwaukee in May.  I just signed up for one.  It took almost a year for my application to get conditionally approved after Glow's was approved in a couple of days.  I am not sure why I would be different except that I was born in Germany (but I have an American passport).
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: April 15, 2022, 06:25:07 PM »
Plenty of availability for interviews in Milwaukee in May.  I just signed up for one.  It took almost a year for my application to get conditionally approved after Glow's was approved in a couple of days.  I am not sure why I would be different except that I was born in Germany (but I have an American passport).

For global entry?

When I go to the interview site and plug in needing an appointment by June 20 for 2 of us, I don't see Milwaukee availability.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: April 15, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »
For global entry?

When I go to the interview site and plug in needing an appointment by June 20 for 2 of us, I don't see Milwaukee availability.

Yep.  I made it about two weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of appointments.  I came up empty when I tried to filter the search, but if I ran the search for next available nationwide, it came right up.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1382 on: April 15, 2022, 08:40:58 PM »
Yep.  I made it about two weeks ago and there seemed to be plenty of appointments.  I came up empty when I tried to filter the search, but if I ran the search for next available nationwide, it came right up.

Ah

Guess I shouldn't be surprised if the website is 100% functional or accurate

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: April 15, 2022, 08:52:56 PM »
Ah

Guess I shouldn't be surprised if the website is 100% functional or accurate

What can I say?  It's brought to you by the people who developed Healthcare.gov.

Also, six months in, I inquired as to the status of my application. It took them two months to respond that some applications take longer than others.
Have some patience, FFS.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1384 on: April 15, 2022, 09:22:26 PM »
Something tells me that Creighton warrior might not be interested in a Wisconsin stylized bar...
I did grow up in Milwaukee (MUHS grad) so it could be intriguing. Appreciate everyone’s suggestions. Staying in Times Square as the conference is there so will be soaking that in. Billy Joel is at MSG while I’m there, don’t love his music so will probably skip that, as well as Mets game.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: April 16, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »
Has anyone ever stayed at a "Canopy by Hilton"?  If so what would you compare it to chain wise?  It seems pretty decent but I'm surprised it's cheaper than the Hampton Inn in D.C by the Du Pont Circle area.

Promotional price.  I almost stayed in a new one in Atlanta because of the price.  I was supposed to head to Atlanta this past fall for a trade show before it got cancelled, and the Canopy price was significantly more expensive.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: April 16, 2022, 11:34:13 AM »
In France right now.  My wife and I decided one of us had to visit the daughter studying at UGA (Universite Grenoble Alpes) for her April break.
Travel from JFK to Lyon through Paris felt very normal (pre-pandemic) other than passengers wearing masks.
Lyon yesterday, Grenoble today and off to Florence, Pisa and Rome tomorrow.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: April 16, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
In France right now.  My wife and I decided one of us had to visit the daughter studying at UGA (Universite Grenoble Alpes) for her April break.
Travel from JFK to Lyon through Paris felt very normal (pre-pandemic) other than passengers wearing masks.
Lyon yesterday, Grenoble today and off to Florence, Pisa and Rome tomorrow.

Try to be as diligent as possible regarding Covid precautions. You don't want to test positive the day before you are scheduled to come back. Take it from someone who knows.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: April 16, 2022, 01:13:18 PM »
Yeah, be extra cautious. Remember, do not breathe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: April 16, 2022, 01:45:41 PM »
So, wife and I recently signed up for global entry. Got approved about 48 hours after application submission. But it's been nearly impossible to get the interview scheduled. Seems like there's nothing available in the entire Midwest until the fall.

Any advice?
2 suggestions...
1.  Did this for my son when I enrolled him.  We live overseas and couldn't get a reasonable appointment, so we just went to the office in IAH upon arrival and plead our case... they did the interview after about 1 hour of waiting and everything was fine.
2. New rules.  You can do it on arrival for renewals... maybe it can also be done that way for new applicants.   Suggest you check.  it's slow, but still better than an inconvenient appointment.  I also did this at IAH.  I was 3rd in the queue and waited over an hour.  The US government at it finest had about 20 people standing around watching while 1 person worked. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: April 19, 2022, 02:39:28 PM »

Any advice?

Make it a part of your morning routine to spend 60 seconds checking for new slots. Cancellations happen all the time.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: April 19, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »

Definitely skip the Mets game, going into Queens is worthless, and that ballpark is nothing special.

Worst thing you've ever posted, Dish!

I adore Queens. Has everybody, and they all brought their food with them.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: April 19, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
Worst thing you've ever posted, Dish!

I adore Queens. Has everybody, and they all brought their food with them.

For a first time visitor to NYC, he's not wrong.  Its a hike from Manhattan and all the traditional sights and destinations, and when talking about Citi Field, you're not going to get a great Queens experience from Willets Point.

Its a neighborhood every regular traveler to NYC should do at some point, and the food scene is INCREDIBLE, but I'd never recommend it to first time or relatively inexperienced NYC guests who want to do "NYC stuff".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: April 19, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
Not trying to make it too COVID specific, but has anyone flown last night or today?  Curious what mask/no mask numbers are like.

I'm seeing stuff all over the place, but it sort of feels like the anecdotal evidence is slanted to what that person favors.  People who are over masks are saying "80% maskless and the FAs are all maskless and happy"  but people who don't like how or why or that the mandate was overturned are stated stuff like "most people are still wearing masks, including employees"

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »
Not trying to make it too COVID specific, but has anyone flown last night or today?  Curious what mask/no mask numbers are like.

I'm seeing stuff all over the place, but it sort of feels like the anecdotal evidence is slanted to what that person favors.  People who are over masks are saying "80% maskless and the FAs are all maskless and happy"  but people who don't like how or why or that the mandate was overturned are stated stuff like "most people are still wearing masks, including employees"
Gotta agree with ol' Joe on this one when asked today if people should continue to wear masks on airplanes. He said,  "That's up to them."

Same is true for the three different people I saw today in three different cars, each wearing masks while driving alone in their cars.  "That's up to them."

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2022, 06:18:49 PM »

Flying to Napa from Omaha tomorrow, will be interesting. I’m middle of the road masker (don’t choose to wear but will put one on without fuss where required). Wife and I are still going to mask up, mainly because I always used to get sick after flying and traveling but haven’t gotten sick once when traveling during Covid. Co-worker on a flight to AZ today said only a few had them on.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2022, 07:28:49 PM »
Flying to Napa from Omaha tomorrow, will be interesting. I’m middle of the road masker (don’t choose to wear but will put one on without fuss where required). Wife and I are still going to mask up, mainly because I always used to get sick after flying and traveling but haven’t gotten sick once when traveling during Covid. Co-worker on a flight to AZ today said only a few had them on.

Thanks.  Makes sense.  Thats sort of how I am.  I'm not a fan and don't "choose" but Ive always done when asked or required.  Its gotten better when I switched to surgical but cloth masks, while fine for shopping or whatnot, sucked in an airport carry/pulling luggage, moving in and out of people, up steps.  Felt weird to be in shape but out of breath regularly as a result.  Or felt more prone to being overheated on a plane wearing one.

Look forward to flying maskless to NYC in a few weeks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2022, 07:39:27 PM »
Yeah, be extra cautious. Remember, do not breathe, hey?

Extra cautious because judge was appointed by what’s his name who had gas at $2/ gal and inflation at 1%…but what the hell does he know
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2022, 08:13:35 PM »
Gotta agree with ol' Joe on this one when asked today if people should continue to wear masks on airplanes. He said,  "That's up to them."

Same is true for the three different people I saw today in three different cars, each wearing masks while driving alone in their cars.  "That's up to them."

Yeah it’s time. People aren’t wearing masks in many places right now. The fact that some cities are returning to these rules (Philadelphia) or keeping them on subways (NYC) is just nonsensical at this point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2022, 08:27:18 PM »

Yeah it’s time. People aren’t wearing masks in many places right now. The fact that some cities are returning to these rules (Philadelphia) or keeping them on subways (NYC) is just nonsensical at this point.

The ruling will be appealed.

feedback