[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338163 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/20
« Reply #26300 on: May 24, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »
And all will return next year. You know this already, right?  All will be as good or better than advertised, right?  And talented 6’8 kids a stone throw from the campus are in abundance, right?

Collect talent and figure it out.

Given that you ignored the question, I’ll take it that you’ve never seen the kid play. So crying just to cry without any clue whether the kid is worth crying about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26301 on: May 24, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
Given that you ignored the question, I’ll take it that you’ve never seen the kid play. So crying just to cry without any clue whether the kid is worth crying about.
And imagine the crying that would have occurred if Wojo offered an unranked 3*, and at a position where we already had a deep stack.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26302 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »
Endless Motor Sports
@endless_motor
·
6m
2021 4
Medium star
 David Joplin will conduct a Zoom call with Cal today.

Fast rising 6’7 forward with versatility and skill out of the Milwaukee area.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26303 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
Disagree with this approach. That’s thinking like a Duke recruiter, big fish are top priority. Our program needs a semblance of pipeline of top local talent. We need to play to home field advantage all that we can because we’re not a blue blood.  Take your shots with a few big fish, fine, but telling a kid like this we’re evaluating you further, while other very good programs are jumping in, is a bad plan for MU.

This is 100% the best approach..it's why i have warmed up to Wojo. He's not afraid to go after the big fish. I have said many times, because his coaching is deficient, and he doesn't seem to be able to get players to improve substantially enough to be difference makers, he needs good enough talent to where he can just roll the ball out and go play. If he had shown the ability to Coach players to improve enough that low ranked kids could become difference makers, I'd agree with you, but he hasn't. Besides, talent is what wins.

You said it yourself, the post right above me...collect talent, and figure it out. That is EXACTLY what a Coach should do. Get the most talented players you can get.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26304 on: May 24, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
I’ll concede that Wojo does some “stuff” pretty darn well. No doubt he has recruited some outstanding talent. But he has not produced any outstanding teams. Until/unless he does, the stuff he does well really doesn’t matter.

And I’ll concede all that, Lenny ... though he did build an outstanding team in 2018-19 - if top 10 is considered outstanding - before the mutiny.

I think we both can agree that we want more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26305 on: May 24, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
3m
Virginia Tech just offered 2021’s James Graham III, he told @Stockrisers

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26306 on: May 24, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »
Kameron Jones
Grapes
Goat
@Csgkam
 · 3h
Truly Blessed And Honored To Receive An Offer From The Marquette University
Blue heart
Yellow heart

Love this kid already!  8-)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #26307 on: May 24, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
And I’ll concede all that, Lenny ... though he did build an outstanding team in 2018-19 - if top 10 is considered outstanding - before the mutiny.

When though?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26308 on: May 24, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
Kameron Jones
Grapes
Goat
@Csgkam
 · 3h
Truly Blessed And Honored To Receive An Offer From The Marquette University
Blue heart
Yellow heart

Love this kid already!  8-)

He Tweets the same thing every time he gets a new offer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26309 on: May 24, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
He Tweets the same thing every time he gets a new offer.

Sounds like a good strategy for him.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26310 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »

After watching this years collapse, blaming the previous year’s collapse on a mutiny doesn’t pass muster. I’m with Wades on this - maybe we were a little better in 18-19 than 19-20 but not much. Our record may have said top 10, but we were in an extremely weak version of the Big East and also top 5 in luck. Luck evened out (lost a couple of nail biters) and (like this year) teams figured us out. 12 losses in 14 games (6 of 7 x 2) down the stretch simply doesn’t happen to good teams who are well coached.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:16:45 PM by Lennys Tap »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #26311 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »
After watching this years collapse, blaming the previous year’s collapse on a mutiny doesn’t pass muster. I’m with Wades on this - maybe we were a little better in 18-19 than 19-20 but not much. Our record may have said top 10, but we were in an extremely weak version of the Big East and also top 5 in luck. Luck evened out (lost a couple of nail biters) and (like this year) teams figured us out. 12 losses in 14 games (6 of 7 x 2) down the stretch simply doesn’t happen to good reams who are well coached.

Yup. The ProJos continually ask for patience.  Personally, I'm done with that.  We're heading into Year Seven with 0 (ZERO) tournament wins.  It's time for him to stand up.  If not, then why did we hire him?  It's been seven years.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26312 on: May 24, 2020, 11:18:55 PM »
How/why in the hell did the recruiting thread turn into a discussion on Wojo's job performance...again, for about the billionth time. Idk why I bother posting things about recruits, no one notices them anyway.  ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26313 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:16 PM »
How/why in the hell did the recruiting thread turn into a discussion on Wojo's job performance...again, for about the billionth time. Idk why I bother posting things about recruits, no one notices them anyway.  ::)

Well, this time it started with these two posts:

Woj don't kneed know 6'8" playas, hey?

Exactly. A 6’8 kid in your own backyard offered by the likes of Maryland, Fl St, and now Georgia.  A kid who made a huge leap last year from what I’ve read and highly likely only scratching his ceiling. And if you’re not in on these kids early with offers, you’re probably not getting them. 

I’d gladly give Dukie blonde boy a pass on this if he had a successful track record at MU, but he has none, and this becomes another reason to throw on the pile this guy is clueless what needs to be done to win at MU. At Duke you can ignore local up and comers, our program specifically needs guys like this.  Not only for what they bring, but what the next local kids can do for MU

#cantbefiredsoonenough

Any possible chance to rip, even if there are a dozen other "rip on Wojo" threads and even if it messes up the recruiting thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26314 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:54 PM »

Thanks for posting Recruiting news and not getting into the Agenda trap.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #26315 on: May 25, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »
I've seen both Graham and Joplin play, and right now i would say joplin is a better overall player than Graham, would love to have either of them on the team

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #26316 on: May 25, 2020, 06:26:08 AM »
The deal is that unless you know a recruit or are privy to who is actually calling, just because there hasn't been offers to players doesn't mean the Marquette staff hasn't been in consistent contact with these players..

I forget who made the tweet.  It basically said just because a recruit has been offered doesn't mean they are being recruited harder by that school over one that hasn't offered.  The determination is that a school being in regular contact trumps a school that has offered but hasn't been in consistent contact.  All the scholarship offers may not currently be offers a school would accept a verbal for. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26317 on: May 25, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »
I'm most curious as to when MU gets their first verbal and when that will be. I know there's lots of moving parts behind the scenes. We kind of went through a little stretch there a month or so ago, where a good amount of 2021 kids committed, now we are in a bit of a lull again. It's hard to say, if or when kids may be able to visit again. So, it will be interesting to see if MU gets a verbal in the next month or so, or if they don't get their first one until say August or September.

muguru

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/20
« Reply #26318 on: May 25, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
3m
Xavier just offered 2021’s James Graham III, he told @Stockrisers

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26319 on: May 25, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
I'm most curious as to when MU gets their first verbal and when that will be. I know there's lots of moving parts behind the scenes. We kind of went through a little stretch there a month or so ago, where a good amount of 2021 kids committed, now we are in a bit of a lull again. It's hard to say, if or when kids may be able to visit again. So, it will be interesting to see if MU gets a verbal in the next month or so, or if they don't get their first one until say August or September.

Supposedly more top 150 kids are given verbal commitments than previous years. The experts aren't sure if it is the uncertainty of what next season will bring. No Summer AAU circuit or open gyms to improve their rankings. The restrictions of coaches recruiting off campus keep being extended.

I am wondering if most of these verbals are really soft. If things get somewhat back to normal players can make official visits. High school open gyms and games will give players to improve their stock meaning guys going the 2nd tier schools may look to the blue bloods, especially if top 20 kids opt to go to the G League leaving the KYs Dukes looking for players.

Just a real interesting dynamic in recruiting.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26320 on: May 25, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
Supposedly more top 150 kids are given verbal commitments than previous years. The experts aren't sure if it is the uncertainty of what next season will bring. No Summer AAU circuit or open gyms to improve their rankings. The restrictions of coaches recruiting off campus keep being extended.

I am wondering if most of these verbals are really soft. If things get somewhat back to normal players can make official visits. High school open gyms and games will give players to improve their stock meaning guys going the 2nd tier schools may look to the blue bloods, especially if top 20 kids opt to go to the G League leaving the KYs Dukes looking for players.

Just a real interesting dynamic in recruiting.

I was actually kind of hoping that with everything going on right now, it would end up working to MU's advantage somewhat on some of the higher ranked guys like Etienne, Warley, Brown. Reason being MU was able to have those kids on campus for officials, while a lot of other schools have not been able to. Was thinking that might have played to MU's advantage, and it still may, but I really thought they would have had at least one commit by now. I mean looking at it realistically, there is no on or off campus recruiting until July at least, and I have a feeling it could be extended even further than that. but even if it isn't, now you're talking you have the month of July(possibly) and August to get visits in before HS kids go back to school.

A lot of kids, not all of course, want to have decisions made before they start their HS seasons, to get it out of the way so it's not a distraction. So between when there could be the possibility of taking visits again and signing day, you aren't really look at a lot of time, especially with so much being unknown.

Seems like a lot of these kids are "gambling" so to speak that they will be able to take other visits, play some open gym and that the Coaches will be able to see them. But what if those things never happen?? To me, the kids that decided already are smart this year. You get your preferred school while others who are waiting, may end up waiting themselves out of their first choice because someone else doesn't want to chance it.

If I were a kid, or more specifically a parent of a son being recruited this year I think I'd tell them "hey look, you have these offers now and we have several good options, we have seen xxx school already, and reality says we may not get to see anymore at least in our timeline" so let's sit down and choose from the current information we have and before someone else takes your spot. Is it ideal?? Perhaps not, but if all else fails and you have to or feel like you have to choose a school you have already visited, at least you know what you'd be getting into from that perspective.

Getting anxious for someone to commit to MU, and was hoping it would have happened by now.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26321 on: May 25, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
what if your son visited the school and didn't really like it/didn't blow him away, and he is sure there is a school out there that he will like better, but hasn't yet visited?

Sign on to the school anyways?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26322 on: May 25, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Getting anxious for someone to commit to MU, and was hoping it would have happened by now.

It's not even June.
Last year's first commit (Justin Lewis) didn't occur until the end of July.
The year before (Dexter) was in September.
Year before that (Joey) was in late July.
Year before that (Ike) was mid June.
It's still pretty early in the process.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26323 on: May 25, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »
what if your son visited the school and didn't really like it/didn't blow him away, and he is sure there is a school out there that he will like better, but hasn't yet visited?

Sign on to the school anyways?

In this scenario I would like to think the kid would have then told the coaches at said school he's no longer interested so they don't keep wasting their or the kids time. Yes, then he should obviously wait, but he needs to understand that it's POSSIBLE he may still end up not getting to visit anytime soon and the schools he's thinking he wants/likes and is waiting to see if he can visit, may NOT have a scholarship available for him anymore. Then he's right back to square one essentially. Completely different kind of recruiting season to say the least.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26324 on: May 25, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
So do I. But I think most of these verbals are real soft and don't mean a thing. There will also be some reshuffling when kids start making up their minds to go to the G League.

Will I be excited if Warley or Etienne verbal tomorrow to us. Yes. But it will be tempered because until they sign in October a lot of things will change.

I also think the NCAA will allow transfers for the 21-22 season which brings another 800 players in the pool.

feedback