[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336630 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/20
« Reply #26275 on: May 24, 2020, 08:13:00 AM »
Has he at high school recruiting?

I think so.  I think it's been better than Buzz's by a long shot.  More consistent than Crean.

He recruiited an All-American and the program's leading scorer out of high school.  Plus the Hauser brothers.  Henry. 

The only local player than he completely missed was Halliburton.  But so did others.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26276 on: May 24, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »
Let me guess. Hutch and 4never have never seen this kid play?

Also, Wojo doesn’t need no 6’8” playas...he just brought in 3 of them in the class of 2020.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26277 on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »
He plays for Duane Wilson Sr’s AAU program. Connect the dots.

Duane has the power to stop an offer?  Duane has never impressed me as harboring resentment towards MU to steer away a kid who is good.  Quite the opposite. Very classy guy.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26278 on: May 24, 2020, 08:18:20 AM »
Here's my take on it...So Georgia and Florida St have offered as have other High majors. Wojo has not, and Graham himself said Wojo wants to evaluate him further..so I guess what it comes down to, is who is right here and who is wrong?? Are the staffs from Florida St and Georgia's evaluations right and Wojo's wrong, or the other way around?? Honestly, I THINK Wojo's approach with this is that he has offered much more highly rated guys and doesn't want to throw out an offer to Graham, with the possibilty/likelihood that he would accept immediately, and it could have an effect on Wojo's top targets. These things do have a domino effect. That's what recruiting is. Now it's a gamble on Wojo's part admittedly because if he doesn't land his "bigger fish", by the time those kids decide, it's very likely his fallback options(like Graham in this instance) will also be off the board. It seems to be the approach he takes, and whether you agree with it or disagree with it, he's willing to do it. Personally, I'm okay with it.

To me, he's in on enough guys for 2021 at the same size etc that I feel good about the chances he lands at least one. For me, if I'm taking a "fallback" option at a similar size, I'm taking Eric Vander Heijden over Graham anyway. That kid has really grown on me...Athletic and that stroke is so pure.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #26279 on: May 24, 2020, 08:19:19 AM »
Duane has the power to stop an offer?  Duane has never impressed me as harboring resentment towards MU to steer away a kid who is good.  Quite the opposite. Very classy guy.

You need to pay attention more.  It has been reported here that this is most definitely the case - at least it was at one point.

Look at the Terrence Lewis recruitment for example.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26280 on: May 24, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »

You need to pay attention more.  It has been reported here that this is most definitely the case - at least it was at one point.

Look at the Terrence Lewis recruitment for example.

Well if Scoopers are reporting it, no doubt it’s gospel then.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26281 on: May 24, 2020, 08:24:38 AM »
Let me guess. Hutch and 4never have never seen this kid play?

Also, Wojo doesn’t need no 6’8” playas...he just brought in 3 of them in the class of 2020.

And all will return next year. You know this already, right?  All will be as good or better than advertised, right?  And talented 6’8 kids a stone throw from the campus are in abundance, right?

Collect talent and figure it out.

panda

• All American
« Reply #26282 on: May 24, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »

I’m not sure why MU hasn’t offered yet, but I highly, highly doubt that if they do, he’d even seriously consider us. The last kid from the Playground program who has come to MU has been Henry.

Again, feel free to connect the dots.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26283 on: May 24, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Here's my take on it...So Georgia and Florida St have offered as have other High majors. Wojo has not, and Graham himself said Wojo wants to evaluate him further..so I guess what it comes down to, is who is right here and who is wrong?? Are the staffs from Florida St and Georgia's evaluations right and Wojo's wrong, or the other way around?? Honestly, I THINK Wojo's approach with this is that he has offered much more highly rated guys and doesn't want to throw out an offer to Graham, with the possibilty/likelihood that he would accept immediately, and it could have an effect on Wojo's top targets. These things do have a domino effect. That's what recruiting is. Now it's a gamble on Wojo's part admittedly because if he doesn't land his "bigger fish", by the time those kids decide, it's very likely his fallback options(like Graham in this instance) will also be off the board. It seems to be the approach he takes, and whether you agree with it or disagree with it, he's willing to do it. Personally, I'm okay with it.

To me, he's in on enough guys for 2021 at the same size etc that I feel good about the chances he lands at least one. For me, if I'm taking a "fallback" option at a similar size, I'm taking Eric Vander Heijden over Graham anyway. That kid has really grown on me...Athletic and that stroke is so pure.

Disagree with this approach. That’s thinking like a Duke recruiter, big fish are top priority. Our program needs a semblance of pipeline of top local talent. We need to play to home field advantage all that we can because we’re not a blue blood.  Take your shots with a few big fish, fine, but telling a kid like this we’re evaluating you further, while other very good programs are jumping in, is a bad plan for MU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #26284 on: May 24, 2020, 08:43:12 AM »
Sigh
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #26285 on: May 24, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »

The guy who reported it is pretty well connected.  Knows more than both of us.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26286 on: May 24, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »
Let me see if I've got this straight ...

If Wojo recruits guys that too many other high-majors are in on, he is over-reaching and "wasting our resources." But if Wojo doesn't recruit guys that many other high-majors are in on, he isn't reaching high enough and settling for mediocrity. Is that correct?

Also ...

He has signed two McDonald's AA, another kid who turned out to be a first-team NCAA AA, a pair of brothers whom many Scoopers have elevated to legendary status, and numerous other outstanding players ... but he hasn't been a good recruiter because Haani transferred and Bailey went pro?

Wojo has many shortcomings, and I certainly want more from my coach, but the inclination by some to attack him for everything -- even the stuff he does pretty damn well and arguably better than most coaches -- is pretty amazing.

I agree with Rico:

Sigh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #26287 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:57 AM »
A cursory search of James Graham reveals he had two offers before May of this year.  They were from Rutgers and DePaul last September. 

All of the other offers he has received have come since May 5.  That’s 20 days.

Unless I’m missing it, 24/7 has no ranking on him, that will change based on offers.  Rivals has his as a 3*. 

Based on offers, he’s a rising kid.  Michigan State and Butler have begun sniffing around. 

Take a deep breath.  He’s going to get more offers, maybe even from Marquette.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26288 on: May 24, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
34m
James Graham III is a hot-commodity in the 2021 class and he leads a national recruitment. He went in-depth with @Stockrisers
, broke down several programs.

Michigan State and Butler amongst new schools showing interest. | Story: https://stockrisers.com/2020/05/24/fou

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26289 on: May 24, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
A cursory search of James Graham reveals he had two offers before May of this year.  They were from Rutgers and DePaul last September. 

All of the other offers he has received have come since May 5.  That’s 20 days.

Unless I’m missing it, 24/7 has no ranking on him, that will change based on offers.  Rivals has his as a 3*. 

Based on offers, he’s a rising kid.  Michigan State and Butler have begun sniffing around. 

Take a deep breath.  He’s going to get more offers, maybe even from Marquette.

Yeah, maybe we will. But we’re not likely to get him, so big effing deal we may finally get around to offering him.

You think being told we’re evaluating you further while others are telling him we want you in our program will be forgotten?  You’ve got to be in early on guys like this. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26290 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »
I have seen him twice, was not totally impressed with him or Koby Johnson.  Think he has to grow into his body, he is one of those kids that might have taken off
in the AAU circuit.  I am sure Wojo is over recruiting him at this time, but I would bet they are still in contact with him at some level. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #26291 on: May 24, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
Yeah, maybe we will. But we’re not likely to get him, so big effing deal we may finally get around to offering him.

You think being told we’re evaluating you further while others are telling him we want you in our program will be forgotten?  You’ve got to be in early on guys like this.

If Marquette had offered him last September and he committed with his best ranking being a 3* on rivals, what would your reaction have been?

Marquette, according to 24/7 has 24 offers out for 2021.  What is it about this particular kid that makes him stand out over the other kids currently offered other than geography?  I’m genuinely curious. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26292 on: May 24, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
If Marquette had offered him last September and he committed with his best ranking being a 3* on rivals, what would your reaction have been?

Marquette, according to 24/7 has 24 offers out for 2021.  What is it about this particular kid that makes him stand out over the other kids currently offered other than geography?  I’m genuinely curious.

Go back and read my posts because I’m not going to repeat the same arguments why kids exactly like this are critical to lifeblood of a non blue blood program like ours. Critical to short and long term both. 

And Wojo has earned zero benefit of doubt in any aspect of running this program. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:53:37 AM by HutchwasClutch »

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26293 on: May 24, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
Recruiting high school players will be highly overrated beginning in January once the NCAA passes its new transfer rule. Without the rule about 700 players have entered the portal. It is easy to expect it will be at least 33 percent higher next off season. Say we don't get any notable kids from the class of 21, we'll have over 1000 kids to try and fill whatever holes we have.

It is going to real interesting to see the new paradigm with free transfers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26294 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
Let me see if I've got this straight ...

If Wojo recruits guys that too many other high-majors are in on, he is over-reaching and "wasting our resources." But if Wojo doesn't recruit guys that many other high-majors are in on, he isn't reaching high enough and settling for mediocrity. Is that correct?

Also ...

He has signed two McDonald's AA, another kid who turned out to be a first-team NCAA AA, a pair of brothers whom many Scoopers have elevated to legendary status, and numerous other outstanding players ... but he hasn't been a good recruiter because Haani transferred and Bailey went pro?

Wojo has many shortcomings, and I certainly want more from my coach, but the inclination by some to attack him for everything -- even the stuff he does pretty damn well and arguably better than most coaches -- is pretty amazing.

I agree with Rico:

Sigh.

I’ll concede that Wojo does some “stuff” pretty darn well. No doubt he has recruited some outstanding talent. But he has not produced any outstanding teams. Until/unless he does, the stuff he does well really doesn’t matter.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26295 on: May 24, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »
Recruiting high school players will be highly overrated beginning in January once the NCAA passes its new transfer rule. Without the rule about 700 players have entered the portal. It is easy to expect it will be at least 33 percent higher next off season. Say we don't get any notable kids from the class of 21, we'll have over 1000 kids to try and fill whatever holes we have.

Transfers are a big part of the recruiting game now,  can fill a gap ASAP.  But you still need to recruit 2 or 3 kids every year as you are going to lose some as well.  It does not matter now as kids come and go all the time.  200 kids want to play pro ball this year with only 60 being drafted.  Bailey is a prime example, where is he going?  The G league, hard time to be a coach.  Carton and Garcia may only be around 1 year, time will tell. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26296 on: May 24, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »

I wouldn't state this is a given yet. Read somewhere it is gaining more and more momentum NOT to pass. Already a lot of the top Coaches in CBB have spoken out against it, and right or wrong, that will likely have an effect on the vote.  Then there were these comments(in an Athletic article) from players that WERE eligible to play right away and an interesting one...Sam Hauser. Think everyone will find his comments interesting...

Sam....Even more interesting than the data are the responses I got when I asked players, both graduate transfers cleared to play immediately and those forced to sit out, if they thought immediate eligibility was a good idea. Every one of them hemmed and hawed, turning over the idea in their heads, much like Hauser did when asked his opinion. “I mean, if the rule gets passed, I guess it’s good if players have a choice, but honestly, I think it was good for me and could be beneficial for most guys,’’ Hauser says. “You have a whole year to get better, get stronger, work on your game, your quickness. That can never hurt you.’’

Davion Mitchell(transferred from Auburn to Baylor)...“A lot of people ask me if it was hard sitting out,’’ Mitchell says. “I kind of liked it. I mean, it was hard not being able to play on game days, but I wanted to work on my game and get better. It’s kind of crazy, how you might able to just go now.’’

Sam again...Hauser tried to imagine what it might have felt like being able to play immediately, the benefits and the drawbacks. “I mean, I’d already be done, and I think I would have felt like I just got there,’’ he says. “I’m not sure I could have even made my presence felt that quickly.’’

Kassius Robertson-That’s a sentiment echoed by those who were able to play immediately, the grad transfers. “It’s hard as hell,’’ Robertson says. New teammates, new systems, new terminology, new practice rhythms — it all takes time. And when you’re no longer a freshman, and expected to play immediately, you don’t have the luxury of time. “If you’re somebody that thinks they can come in and not have to work your ass off completely, you’re absolutely out of your mind,’’ Robertson says. “It’s a huge, huge jump up.’’

Christian Keeling...“Grad transfers should play immediately,” says Christian Keeling, who left Charleston Southern for North Carolina this season. “You got your degree, so that makes sense. But if you could leave any time you want? I don’t know. When something goes wrong, especially how everybody thinks these days they gotta get theirs, I’m not sure it would be such a good idea. It would make it tough on the coaches, but I don’t know if it would work like the players think it would either.’’

He’s the first to admit “it took me a whole lot longer” to grasp Roy Williams’ system than he anticipated, and his confidence ebbed and flowed as failed to make the impact he’d hoped.

Lamar Kimble... “It definitely made me a better player, but it took some time,’’ Kimble says. “I’m not sure what the right answer is. I know guys are thirsty to play, but I don’t know. It could be great, in my opinion, to get that extra year off to get ready.’’’

And finally Sam again...with the most interesting part at the end...“There are times I’m like, Why am I even doing this? Who knows when I’m going to be able to play,” Sam Hauser says.

The one thing he does know: When the time comes, he’ll be ready. “Even if I was able to play immediately, I think I would have sat out,’’ he says. “I honestly think it was really good for me.’’
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:40:32 AM by muguru »

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26297 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
Al those players would have played if given the option. Maybe Sam if he really wanted to rehab his hip but all would have played.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26298 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:01 AM »
Al those players would have played if given the option. Maybe Sam if he really wanted to rehab his hip but all would have played.

Not a single one said that though...they all said it was good for them to take the year off.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #26299 on: May 24, 2020, 11:03:07 AM »
One-time blanket waivers are a done deal.  Move along