[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338146 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/19
« Reply #23300 on: November 20, 2019, 10:53:17 PM »
Now, I don't want to be a debbie downer, I love the fact that Dawson committed, and I tend to be on the slurpier side of things, but I think the brakes need to be pumped a bit.  Iirc the 2015 class was ranked in the top 15, and even knowing that Henry would be, at max, a 2 year player, there was quite a bit of buzz around the class as a whole.  Haani was borderline top 50 on some services, Traci was seen as the "Gateway" into Philly after the whole Newbill thing, and both Sacar and Matt were seen as prospects that would develop into serviceable Beast players.  Henry left after one year, and depending on the source has an iffy relationship with the school and Wojo, Haani transferred, Traci transferred, Matt was never more than a back up quality player, and 5th year Senior Sacar has 10 points in 53 minutes against high majors this year. 

Not saying that the 2020 class can't be great, but you never know how long it will take players to adjust to college, and as much as I love getting top 100 players, some here, equally love pointing out that Juan was also a top 100 player.  High hopes, but let's at least try to temper expectations for these 18 year old kids.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #23301 on: November 20, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »
Now, I don't want to be a debbie downer, I love the fact that Dawson committed, and I tend to be on the slurpier side of things, but I think the brakes need to be pumped a bit.  Iirc the 2015 class was ranked in the top 15, and even knowing that Henry would be, at max, a 2 year player, there was quite a bit of buzz around the class as a whole.  Haani was borderline top 50 on some services, Traci was seen as the "Gateway" into Philly after the whole Newbill thing, and both Sacar and Matt were seen as prospects that would develop into serviceable Beast players.  Henry left after one year, and depending on the source has an iffy relationship with the school and Wojo, Haani transferred, Traci transferred, Matt was never more than a back up quality player, and 5th year Senior Sacar has 10 points in 53 minutes against high majors this year. 

Not saying that the 2020 class can't be great, but you never know how long it will take players to adjust to college, and as much as I love getting top 100 players, some here, equally love pointing out that Juan was also a top 100 player.  High hopes, but let's at least try to temper expectations for these 18 year old kids.

+1. I was thinking the same. Remember hearing the words "matchup nightmare" when talking about Bailey and Juan Anderson. We're still waiting for the game to slow down for Bailey and Anderson never quite lived up to the hype.

These are all very intriguing pieces and definitely guys to be excited about though.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #23302 on: November 20, 2019, 11:09:05 PM »

If you are going to go debbie downer on a recruiting class I would have gone with 2013 first which was ranked number 7 overall versus 2015 at number 12.  The 2013 team was supposed to be the next amigos but never happened
Jujuan Johnson - only one to finish his career at MU and was good.
Deonte Burton - transferred at the beginning of his sophomore year
Duane Wilson  - grad transferred
Magic Dawson - transferred at the beginning of his sophomore year
Jameel McKay -  - transferred at the beginning of his first year

What is important is that we got a highly sought after recruit in a head to head with other quality programs.  How the progress is something to be discussed 4 years from now.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23303 on: November 20, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
If you are going to go debbie downer on a recruiting class I would have gone with 2013 first which was ranked number 7 overall versus 2015 at number 12.  The 2013 team was supposed to be the next amigos but never happened
Jujuan Johnson - only one to finish his career at MU and was good.
Deonte Burton - transferred at the beginning of his sophomore year
Duane Wilson  - grad transferred
Magic Dawson - transferred at the beginning of his sophomore year
Jameel McKay -  - transferred at the beginning of his first year

What is important is that we got a highly sought after recruit in a head to head with other quality programs.  How the progress is something to be discussed 4 years from now.

I was going off Wojo classes, but I guess that works too.  The point is that I see 3 front court players committed, and I've heard for years that CBB is "a guards game", and I really only see at most one proven guard that will passing them the ball.  Would love to get Mane, or a high impact grad transfer.  Would love to see some of the current players develop into all BEast type players, but until I do, I won't be raising that 2021 banner (not saying that anyone is ...yet).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23304 on: November 20, 2019, 11:20:51 PM »
I was going off Wojo classes, but I guess that works too.  The point is that I see 3 front court players committed, and I've heard for years that CBB is "a guards game", and I really only see at most one proven guard that will passing them the ball.  Would love to get Mane, or a high impact grad transfer.  Would love to see some of the current players develop into all BEast type players, but until I do, I won't be raising that 2021 banner (not saying that anyone is ...yet).

Fortunately guards are easier to get than others.  Hopefully we land a stud guard next.  Torrence should be good in that role and you have to believe there will be another one recruited.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23305 on: November 20, 2019, 11:31:06 PM »
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this because it kind of ruins my name change.

The Mah-nay Trah-nay!?!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23306 on: November 20, 2019, 11:35:30 PM »
Fortunately guards are easier to get than others.  Hopefully we land a stud guard next.  Torrence should be good in that role and you have to believe there will be another one recruited.

Well we still have schollies to give so I'm 100% sure that someone will be recruited.  I am less sure that they'll commit to us, and even less sure that they'll be able to get the job done at the level that is expected.  One again, not trying to be a negative Nancy, but all three of the young men that have committed are still almost a full year away from even logging a collegiate minute.   As happy as I am, I am still hesitant to throw around the label program changing recruit/class, or something similar.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #23307 on: November 21, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »
I know I'm jumping the gun and should still be basking in the Dawson Garcia glow, but I don't think I've hoped for a commit like I'm hoping for Kendall Brown in 2021.  Guy looks like a more polished version of Lonzo Ball, can absolutely soar, and he did just officially visit a month ago....staff has been on him since the jump....you never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34-uRg5hhM

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23308 on: November 21, 2019, 12:21:19 AM »
I know I'm jumping the gun and should still be basking in the Dawson Garcia glow, but I don't think I've hoped for a commit like I'm hoping for Kendall Brown in 2021.  Guy looks like a more polished version of Lonzo Ball, can absolutely soar, and he did just officially visit a month ago....staff has been on him since the jump....you never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34-uRg5hhM

Same. Both played D1 Minnesota together too. Love Kendall's game.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #23309 on: November 21, 2019, 06:39:44 AM »
As mentioned, Stan is in AZ this week visiting Oso and a few 2021 targets. Next week, one of those targets Stan visited this week, DaRon Holmes will be among the many good prospects from across the country playing in the 14th annual Thanksgiving Tournament of Champions in Washington, IL near Peoria, Il for anyone near the area. Games are Tuesday through Saturday. This is a nice preview of the event including all teams game times, etc...

https://www.prephoops.com/2019/11/kevin-brown-memorial-tournament-of-champions-preview/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:54:32 AM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23310 on: November 21, 2019, 07:00:08 AM »
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this because it kind of ruins my name change.

You get an Eh for effort.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #23311 on: November 21, 2019, 07:12:22 AM »

This, exactly.

Winning recruiting battles is obviously important, but winning in March is what counts. Garcia looks like the real deal, but lets not put pressure on the kid with unrealistic expectations

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23312 on: November 21, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »

Well we still have schollies to give so I'm 100% sure that someone will be recruited.  I am less sure that they'll commit to us, and even less sure that they'll be able to get the job done at the level that is expected.  One again, not trying to be a negative Nancy, but all three of the young men that have committed are still almost a full year away from even logging a collegiate minute.   As happy as I am, I am still hesitant to throw around the label program changing recruit/class, or something similar.

I hear ya, and I tend to appreciate "voice of reason/voice of caution" takes.

A couple points:

Let's not forget that Torrence was originally a 2020 4-star who reclassified and is considered to have very good upside. So even if no top guards are signed, next year's backcourt will include him, Elliott, McEwen and Akanno. It's not Steph & Klay, but I think it will be a pretty darn good college backcourt if Symir comes close to living up to his ranking. And I have confidence that Wojo will bring in a guard who will help, either via scholly or grad transfer.

Second, history has shown that even if the three freshman frontcourt players are good it's highly unlikely to mean a banner during their first year. As good as this class looks, it's not like one of the Duke or Kentucky 1-and-done classes or like the Fab Five.

For me, what it shows is that one of my main fears about the aftermath of Hausershima -- that the incident could make it difficult for Wojo to attract good recruits -- turned out to be unfounded. He has gotten some of the nation's best recruits to our campus, and has signed guys that were being courted by other fine programs.

I do not even know enough about these kids as high school players -- all the info I get about Garcia, Lewis and Oso is what I read here -- let alone how good they will be at the next level. So I also take a more cautious approach when it comes to putting sky-high expectations on 18-year-olds.

Having said all that, I am an optimist at heart, so I don't see how any of this can be anything but a positive. (And, despite you admitting to being a bit of a "negative Nancy," you didn't really say otherwise.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23313 on: November 21, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
Symir Torrence is going to be a very good player for Marquette
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23314 on: November 21, 2019, 08:29:07 AM »
It is difficult to not but excited about the incoming class and I hope it meets the lofty expectations. It is now time for Wojo to mesh together a team and program and create a true winning culture. It really is time to start having real on court success. This season means little to me because of my thoughts of the overall team, but it would be a great start to make NCAA and pull off a win or two.

I have said numerous times that this years recruiting was more important to me than the success of the this years team. Still feel that way, but creating a winning culture in March this year would be a major step in the right direction. Wojo's honeymoon is over to me beginning with first day of practice next season. Hopefully the guys returning guys will have a taste of some success and it builds off itself. Truthfully, the ball is now 100% in Wojo's hands. Anxious to see if he sinks or swims.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #23315 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:19 AM »
It is difficult to not but excited about the incoming class

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a way to not be excited.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23316 on: November 21, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
It is now time for Wojo to mesh together a team and program and create a true winning culture. It really is time to start having real on court success.

Couldn't agree more. He says all the right things but it's time to see results.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23317 on: November 21, 2019, 08:37:07 AM »
It is difficult to not but excited about the incoming class and I hope it meets the lofty expectations. It is now time for Wojo to mesh together a team and program and create a true winning culture. It really is time to start having real on court success. This season means little to me because of my thoughts of the overall team, but it would be a great start to make NCAA and pull off a win or two.

I have said numerous times that this years recruiting was more important to me than the success of the this years team. Still feel that way, but creating a winning culture in March this year would be a major step in the right direction. Wojo's honeymoon is over to me beginning with first day of practice next season. Hopefully the guys returning guys will have a taste of some success and it builds off itself. Truthfully, the ball is now 100% in Wojo's hands. Anxious to see if he sinks or swims.

I think all of this is reasonable, Goose.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #23318 on: November 21, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »
There's even an IU poster who thinks Painter may have feared having to deal with Dawson at IU caused him to throw the 18 point first half lead against Marquette so that Dawson would think Marquette was big time and that's why Dawson selected Marquette.

Thank you Matt!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23319 on: November 21, 2019, 08:48:53 AM »
Fluffy

If the program is sitting two years into this class and no NCAA wins I am sure I would not be very excited. I would hope that most people would be disappointed in that. I am as happy as anyone with the incoming class, but somewhat skeptical on what Wojo makes with it. His track record is not very impressive at this point.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23320 on: November 21, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
There's even an IU poster who thinks Painter may have feared having to deal with Dawson at IU caused him to throw the 18 point first half lead against Marquette so that Dawson would think Marquette was big time and that's why Dawson selected Marquette.

Thank you Matt!
Some real Occam's Razor stuff there
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23321 on: November 21, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »

Totally reasonable

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23322 on: November 21, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »
Fluffy

If the program is sitting two years into this class and no NCAA wins I am sure I would not be very excited. I would hope that most people would be disappointed in that. I am as happy as anyone with the incoming class, but somewhat skeptical on what Wojo makes with it. His track record is not very impressive at this point.

Agreed, need to catapult consistent tourney appearances into some real success soon. He's setting himself up for it, now he needs to execute.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23323 on: November 21, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Dwayne Killings back on the trail this morning. He's visiting 2021 PG Stevie Mitchell from Philadelphia.

https://247sports.com/Player/Stevie-Mitchell-46093889/
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23324 on: November 21, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
Dwayne Killings back on the trail this morning. He's visiting 2021 PG Stevie Mitchell from Philadelphia.

https://247sports.com/Player/Stevie-Mitchell-46093889/

Interesting. Seems like Tyrese Hunter would be the same fit and he's right down the road?