[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8429351 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21700 on: October 21, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
I do worry a bit that Wojo may grow frustrated in his inability to land premier recruits on a regular basis.  Recruiting top tier talent is brutal, and you're going to fail more than succeed when you're anyone other than Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc., but at what point does he throw his hands up?  He's failed to land any major non in state recruits since Markus, and has been after a boatload of them.

This is not to say that you cannot build a perennial top 25 program without top 20 type recruits.  You definitely can.  But it has to be draining to put in all that time on these top 20 type deals kids year after year, and end up empty handed. 

While I agree with you on one hand, I also think that at some level he (and we) have to understand that at places like Marquette, you have to find fringe top 100 / 150 talent and coach it up, hope your local area generates some top 40 types, and then hope everything meshes together.  Especially if you are committed to not playing in the murky waters that many coaches play in.

It's not impossible by any means.  It's hard though.  And may be too tough a job for our current coach.  He may indeed get frustrated and leave. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21701 on: October 21, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
I do worry a bit that Wojo may grow frustrated in his inability to land premier recruits on a regular basis.  Recruiting top tier talent is brutal, and you're going to fail more than succeed when you're anyone other than Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc., but at what point does he throw his hands up?  He's failed to land any major non in state recruits since Markus, and has been after a boatload of them.

This is not to say that you cannot build a perennial top 25 program without top 20 type recruits.  You definitely can.  But it has to be draining to put in all that time on these top 20 type deals kids year after year, and end up empty handed.

This just seems like an overreaction.  Symir was ranked ahead of Davis before he reclassified.  Symir and Lewis are right around where Markus was ranked.  As someone else just mentioned, Wojo has to actually win an NCAA tournament game before he can start placing the blame for recruiting losses elsewhere.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21702 on: October 21, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
This just seems like an overreaction.  Symir was ranked ahead of Davis before he reclassified.  Symir and Lewis are right around where Markus was ranked.  As someone else just mentioned, Wojo has to actually win an NCAA tournament game before he can start placing the blame for recruiting losses elsewhere.

For the record Markus was a fringe five star in his class before reclassifying. Just saying if you're going to use Symir's original spot for reference you should use Markus' as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21703 on: October 21, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »
For the record Markus was a fringe five star in his class before reclassifying. Just saying if you're going to use Symir's original spot for reference you should use Markus' as well
That is true.  However, I think people are getting really bummed out about missing on Davis, and overlooking the fact Symir is a similar level talent.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #21704 on: October 21, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »

Yes.  This.   A successful season this year and he may jump to another program where he thinks it will be easier. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21705 on: October 21, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
Or Harry Froling.
Ah yes. The Difference Maker!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21706 on: October 21, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
UNC...
What...Wojo did get his man? We must have cooled on him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21707 on: October 21, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »
C'mon guys, he made his announcement right after he visited UNC. You had to have known at that point he was gone.

I'm sure he thought he could be a starter for a team that was feared the minute they walk in the gym. Who had a legitimate shot at a Final Four and beyond. That hasn't had any Hausershimas.

Make Marquette Feared Again.
Marquette is feared. I have a t shirt from the spirit shop that says so.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21708 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
What's your definition of "major"? Davis is ranked only slightly ahead of the two guys Wojo already has landed for this class, and those two could end up being just as good if not better.

If you're talking about the likes of Grimes and Mannion, a whole lot of other programs aren't getting them, either.

I wasn't really referring to Davis as much as Grimes and Mannion, and Suggs and Jalen Johnson for 2020s who Wojo was in on early. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21709 on: October 21, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »

While I agree with you on one hand, I also think that at some level he (and we) have to understand that at places like Marquette, you have to find fringe top 100 / 150 talent and coach it up, hope your local area generates some top 40 types, and then hope everything meshes together.  Especially if you are committed to not playing in the murky waters that many coaches play in.

It's not impossible by any means.  It's hard though.  And may be too tough a job for our current coach.  He may indeed get frustrated and leave.

Pretty much what I am saying.  Not insinuating the grass is greener at other non-blue bloods, or that the problem isn't Wojo's own doing.  Just observing that is has to be frustrating to lose out on these elite talents year after year.  That doesn't mean I don't want him chasing the very best - but it is human nature to get frustrated when you continue to fail., no matter what you're doing.   

Furthermore - this is not solely in reference to Davis.  Moreso the more elite talents like Suggs and Johnson.  I just haven't been around here much to discuss recruiting developments this summer.  To be clear, I am not overreacting or freaking out - just merely an observation guys.  No need to get your panties in a bunch. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:04:31 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #21710 on: October 21, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »
This is a silly conversation.  Wojo offers 30 kids because he knows he will only land 3-4, and he probably suspects he'll lose the top 10 or so to Bluebloods, Arizona or the Michigans.  Frankly, I would've been very worried if RJ chose Pitt instead of us, but North Carolina is very understandable.  It's not admitting defeat to say this - it's just pointing out the realities of modern-day recruiting.

I'm glad Wojo is recruiting kids at the highest level and it seems like we are ending up in more top kids' final four or three or two.  I know that is no consolation when you lose to the likes of Kentucky, Kansas and Duke, but it does show that our program is getting a close look by good recruits.  And even being selected by some of them.

For the record, Suggs has not announced yet and with RJ going to NC, he could see the opportunity to step into Howard's shoes and become Wojo's next all-american.  Or he could be thinking about going football instead of basketball.  All we know is he visited his "top of the list" school more than a month ago and hasn't announced. 

Tired of hearing everyone focus more(sometimes with glee) on the kids Wojo doesn't get than the ones that he does.  Let's support the kids who want to be here, instead of using every "miss" as a reason to trash the program.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:08:43 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21711 on: October 21, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
If you’re not “missing” on some stud players, THEN you have an issue.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21712 on: October 21, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
I wasn't really referring to Davis as much as Grimes and Mannion, and Suggs and Jalen Johnson for 2020s who Wojo was in on early.

This is EXACTLY what drove Crean out, specifically not being able to land Iman Shumpert who he basically had wrapped up until someone got in his ear and Shumpert got cold feet last minute and opted for Ga Tech instead. Crean thought it was just to hard to land premier recruits., and went somewhere he thought it would be easier to do that at.

That being said as far as Wojo goes, and PLEASE do not make this about me bashing him, I am just voicing my opinion...But I really felt like of all the Coaches that MU had hired  in recent history that Wojo would be the most successful at landed those top guys from time to time. Why?? Because he came to MU with a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the country(separate from where he came from), I honestly thought to this point in his tenure that his recruiting would be stronger than it has been to this point(hasn't been bad/terrible, just not as good as I thought it would be). Now of course the easiest way to do that is to win especially in the tournament, but even without that, i thought his reputation and respect in the CBB world would be enough to get those types of recruits(not every single time). He just hasn't yet. Hopefully Garcia is a start.

It CAN be done, you look at some of the Coaches at schools that are getting top kids, that really shouldn't be getting those types of kids...Alabama and Nate Oates comes to mind right away. I mean it's Alabama...basketball.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21713 on: October 21, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »
This is EXACTLY what drove Crean out, specifically not being able to land Iman Shumpert who he basically had wrapped up until someone got in his ear and Shumpert got cold feet last minute and opted for Ga Tech instead. Crean thought it was just to hard to land premier recruits., and went somewhere he thought it would be easier to do that at.

This is Scoop mythology.
Crean wasn't driven out. Crean left because he got a higher-paying job at a higher-profile program. Landing Shumpert wasn't going to lead to Crean turning down Indiana, Indiana.

It's not like Marquette lost Shumpert to a blueblood. And the reason MU lost Shumpert is primarily because Georgia Tech offered him a chance to start and play 30+ mpg as a freshman, something that almost certainly wasn't happening with the Three Amigos still around at MU.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:52:26 PM by Pakuni »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21714 on: October 21, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
This is a silly conversation.  Wojo offers 30 kids because he knows he will only land 3-4, and he probably suspects he'll lose the top 10 or so to Bluebloods, Arizona or the Michigans.  Frankly, I would've been very worried if RJ chose Pitt instead of us, but North Carolina is very understandable.  It's not admitting defeat to say this - it's just pointing out the realities of modern-day recruiting.

I'm glad Wojo is recruiting kids at the highest level and it seems like we are ending up in more top kids' final four or three or two.  I know that is no consolation when you lose to the likes of Kentucky, Kansas and Duke, but it does show that our program is getting a close look by good recruits.  And even being selected by some of them.

For the record, Suggs has not announced yet and with RJ going to NC, he could see the opportunity to step into Howard's shoes and become Wojo's next all-american.  Or he could be thinking about going football instead of basketball.  All we know is he visited his "top of the list" school more than a month ago and hasn't announced. 

Tired of hearing everyone focus more(sometimes with glee) on the kids Wojo doesn't get than the ones that he does.  Let's support the kids who want to be here, instead of using every "miss" as a reason to trash the program.

Yep. We have some great talent coming in this fall, and Justin and Osa are an awesome start to the 2020 class. Maybe we can add Suggs and/or Garcia, but even if we don't, we should have plenty of talent to remain a major player in the BE.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21715 on: October 21, 2019, 04:59:37 PM »
This is Scoop mythology.
Crean wasn't driven out. Crean left because he got a higher-paying job at a higher-profile program. Landing Shumpert wasn't going to lead to Crean turning down Indiana, Indiana.

It's not like Marquette lost Shumpert to a blueblood. And the reason MU lost Shumpert is primarily because Georgia Tech offered him a chance to start and play 30+ mpg as a freshman, something that almost certainly wasn't happening with the Three Amigos still around at MU.

I think Crean was starting to run out of goodwill at MU with all the early NCAA exits, and Indiana was probably his last, best chance to get a top tier coaching job without another deep tourney run.

Regarding Davis, the staff invested a ton of time in him and it’s very disappointing to lose out.  As for Garcia, he seems to be enjoying the recruiting process and flirting with a bunch of different schools.  I don’t think that bodes well for Marquette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21716 on: October 21, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
This is Scoop mythology.

Some Marquette history that is actually based on facts! Well done.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21717 on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
To summarize some things i read at the Carolina insider board about RJ(if anyone still cares) but they did an interview with this HS Coach and EYBL Coach after the commitment, and his HS said that Coach Williams and Asst Coach Hubert Davis, preached to RJ and his family the opportunity he'd have to play at the highest level. Told him nothing is given, everything is earned, and that they weren't recruiting him to come off the bench.

His AAU Coach said that what RJ and his family told him about Carolina, the words they kept using(RJ and his family) were "honesty, integrity and a family environment". Went on to say, he didn't get the sense that they had to be convinced about Carolina at all. Says the core values at Carolina and the core values of the Davis family are very much in line. What Coach Williams has built at Carolina naturally fits with the person R.J is and the type of family the Davis family is.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:34:40 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/19
« Reply #21718 on: October 21, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
Chart updated.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21719 on: October 21, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »

Yep. We have some great talent coming in this fall, and Justin and Osa are an awesome start to the 2020 class. Maybe we can add Suggs and/or Garcia, but even if we don't, we should have plenty of talent to remain a major player in the BE.

To be clear, and even said as much in my original post the spurred the conversation, I don’t think MU missing out on elite recruits means they can’t compete. You can build a great program getting 50-100 type kids and under the radar prospects. But let’s not forget that Wojo came from Duke and played for Duke, the place where recruiting elite talent sort of takes care of itself.

There certainly has to be some disappointment from Wojo on his inability to reel in the 5 star kids to this point. He’s swung (which he should and hope he continues to do), but missed consistently. All I was saying is at what point does he realize he’s just not going to be able to consistently recruit at that level at Marquette? Maybe that means he runs for the hills, or maybe it means he continues to build MU with good but not elite HS talent. Many ways to the skin the cat....some posters around here get so defensive at any hint of questioning. Sometimes the truth hurts, guys. Marquette is a great college basketball program. But it isn’t elite and has a decently long way to go to get there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21720 on: October 21, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
I know how Wojo can achieve greater recruiting success.  Win more.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21721 on: October 21, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
To be clear, and even said as much in my original post the spurred the conversation, I don’t think MU missing out on elite recruits means they can’t compete. You can build a great program getting 50-100 type kids and under the radar prospects. But let’s not forget that Wojo came from Duke and played for Duke, the place where recruiting elite talent sort of takes care of itself.

There certainly has to be some disappointment from Wojo on his inability to reel in the 5 star kids to this point. He’s swung (which he should and hope he continues to do), but missed consistently. All I was saying is at what point does he realize he’s just not going to be able to consistently recruit at that level at Marquette? Maybe that means he runs for the hills, or maybe it means he continues to build MU with good but not elite HS talent. Many ways to the skin the cat....some posters around here get so defensive at any hint of questioning. Sometimes the truth hurts, guys. Marquette is a great college basketball program. But it isn’t elite and has a decently long way to go to get there.

BS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21722 on: October 21, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
I know how Wojo can achieve greater recruiting success.  Win more.

Indeed, it's a process, big results this year will pay major dividends. Gotta cash in on Markus while he's at his zenith

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #21723 on: October 21, 2019, 06:07:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/9gDPC6Pn2wA

Highlights of Oso’s HS team against one of the other top teams in AZ from last weekend.

Check out 3:33, 5:42, 6:43

This kid is not a Center. Looks more like a wing player on offense.

Also #23 in purple is 2021 4 star DaRon Holmes who was just here on an Official Visit for madness. He will probably be pushing into 5 star territory soon and just participated in the Team USA camp.
Would expect the staff to be all in on him for the next year 

burger

• All American
« Reply #21724 on: October 21, 2019, 06:09:08 PM »
Somebody needs to tell the Ferguson kid that he should aim a little higher than the 56, 58 and 71st best KenPom teams......

Just sayin......

feedback