'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8464212 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21675 on: October 21, 2019, 12:26:21 PM »
How is the H situation in any way related to the recruitment of a 6' guard that only would have overlapped with one of them?

It's about the stability of the program, as other posters said. It's about playing with people who fit into a program at the highest levels of college basketball.

If you are competing against North Carolina, UCONN, Duke, Kansas etc., everything has to be "just right." That was my biggest fear when Hausershima happened.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21676 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
Because none of those other schools have transfers  ::)

By the way, if it was so bad here, why didn't any one else on the team leave?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21677 on: October 21, 2019, 12:33:21 PM »
It's about the stability of the program, as other posters said. It's about playing with people who fit into a program at the highest levels of college basketball.

If you are competing against North Carolina, UCONN, Duke, Kansas etc., everything has to be "just right." That was my biggest fear when Hausershima happened.

If Davis thought that the stability of the program was in question would he have kept us in his top 4 which he dropped after said transfers.  Garcia kept us when he cut to 7, and later 4, all after the transfers.  Osa not only had us in his top 4 after the transfers, but committed.  Can I prove that the transfers didn't have a negative impact in the Davis recruitment? No, but given the developments that have happened on the recruitment front since the transfers, it seems like it's not the end of times, that some have made it out to be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21678 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »

It also was one of my big fears, dgies, and I stated as much last spring.

Then we beat out Maryland, UConn, Florida and others for one fine 4-star (Lewis), and Stanford, Texas, Arizona and others for another fine 4-star (Oso), and we also have made final lists of several others.

So, using logic, that fear abated.

I doubt Hausershima had a single thing to do with Davis going to UNC, but you're obviously allowed to go with whatever floats your boat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #21679 on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »
This is likely a reach, I’ll admit, but perhaps this silver lining here is that this helps land Dawson Garcia.

RJ would have made a wiser decision coming to Marquette, but as we all know he is a shoot first guard that demands a lot of the ball on the offensive side. It seems to me like Dawson would like to play where he can be an offensive focal point- he would like to have a good portion of the offense so he can display his skill set and abilities. It seems that way because he has eliminated many of the blue bloods that are loaded with high end talent.

With RJ out of the picture MU will have a distribute/pass first pg in Symir- a very good one at that. The team will have a decently capable combo guard scorer in Koby. We will see how Bailey and the rest of the guys develop but the other two forward commits do not seem to be offensive dominant type guys. This doesn’t mean that they won’t be good offensively, just that they won’t require a huge chunk of the offense as create your own shot type scorers. That leaves, and even requires, Mr. Garcia to come in and be a big offensive force with a big share of the offense from day one (much like Henry Ellenson). I would argue that RJ Davis not being at MU helps with this.

I hope this is what he is looking for and what he sees in Marquette, because this is what MU needs.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21680 on: October 21, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »
This is likely a reach, I’ll admit, but perhaps this silver lining here is that this helps land Dawson Garcia.

RJ would have made a wiser decision coming to Marquette, but as we all know he is a shoot first guard that demands a lot of the ball on the offensive side. It seems to me like Dawson would like to play where he can be an offensive focal point- he would like to have a good portion of the offense so he can display his skill set and abilities. It seems that way because he has eliminated many of the blue bloods that are loaded with high end talent.

With RJ out of the picture MU will have a distribute/pass first pg in Symir- a very good one at that. The team will have a decently capable combo guard scorer in Koby. We will see how Bailey and the rest of the guys develop but the other two forward commits do not seem to be offensive dominant type guys. This doesn’t mean that they won’t be good offensively, just that they won’t require a huge chunk of the offense as create your own shot type scorers. That leaves, and even requires, Mr. Garcia to come in and be a big offensive force with a big share of the offense from day one (much like Henry Ellenson). I would argue that RJ Davis not being at MU helps with this.

I hope this is what he is looking for and what he sees in Marquette, because this is what MU needs.

Well said Doc.  Agree with you 100%. Dawson will be a great Warrior.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21681 on: October 21, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
If Davis thought that the stability of the program was in question would he have kept us in his top 4 which he dropped after said transfers.  Garcia kept us when he cut to 7, and later 4, all after the transfers.  Osa not only had us in his top 4 after the transfers, but committed.  Can I prove that the transfers didn't have a negative impact in the Davis recruitment? No, but given the developments that have happened on the recruitment front since the transfers, it seems like it's not the end of times, that some have made it out to be.

Guys, guys, guys.

Obviously I have no more insight than anyone else on Scoop. Unless, Wojo and/or his staff are blogging here, which I doubt.

Here's the issue: In my work, I complete against larger, better known "bluebloods" all the time. Sometimes we win. Sometimes we lose. But the thing I stress is that in competing for the best, be damn sure everything about you is perfect. Because if you have a wart, I promise you, your competition will make sure your potential client, customer etc., know about it.

Do I think Mr. RJ went to UNC instead of Marquette over Hausershima? No, probably not. Do I think he was reminded of it and somewhere in his mind it was a contributing factor? Yeah, just opinion but I'm sure it probably was. If you're going up against the best of the best, which North Carolina is, one must have a perfect alignment.

Again, I'm not on the recruiting trail, but who knows? I want us perfect.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21682 on: October 21, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »

Love it, let's get him!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21683 on: October 21, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »

Even in just right scenario it rarely happens.  I doubt that would change here.  Sure song of playing for Carolina or some of the others is a huge draw whether those other two are here or not.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21684 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
Guys, guys, guys.

Obviously I have no more insight than anyone else on Scoop. Unless, Wojo and/or his staff are blogging here, which I doubt.

Here's the issue: In my work, I complete against larger, better known "bluebloods" all the time. Sometimes we win. Sometimes we lose. But the thing I stress is that in competing for the best, be damn sure everything about you is perfect. Because if you have a wart, I promise you, your competition will make sure your potential client, customer etc., know about it.

Do I think Mr. RJ went to UNC instead of Marquette over Hausershima? No, probably not. Do I think he was reminded of it and somewhere in his mind it was a contributing factor? Yeah, just opinion but I'm sure it probably was. If you're going up against the best of the best, which North Carolina is, one must have a perfect alignment.

Again, I'm not on the recruiting trail, but who knows? I want us perfect.

No program will ever be perfect........Marquette has never been perfect.....even under Al.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21685 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »
As far as shooters go...often times some of the best pure shooters come internationally..Outside of Canada, MU has never really recruited internationally, and I wonder why that has never really been an area they have delved into.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21686 on: October 21, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
As far as shooters go...often times some of the best pure shooters come internationally..Outside of Canada, MU has never really recruited internationally, and I wonder why that has never really been an area they have delved into.

How could you forget Niv Berkowitz?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:15:11 PM by Pakuni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21687 on: October 21, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
How could you forget Niv Berkowtiz?

Or Harry Froling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21688 on: October 21, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »

Cost probably. Not as easy to fly to Australia as it is to Cali.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21689 on: October 21, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
You’re vs. your.

I take issue with people slurping then Cristal bowel. No issue with Mark - he’s great. But with no context, him simply clicking on a website does nothing for me.

If Cristal bowel cane with notes from those picking, it would change everything. But it doesn’t. Yawn
Came vs. cane
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21690 on: October 21, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #21691 on: October 21, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
MU went after many guards. Nix,Burnett,Davis,Jackson,Hoggard and Suggs.Struck out on all of them.MU needs another guard or guard/small forward for next year that can score.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21692 on: October 21, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »
How could you forget Niv Berkowitz?

Unfortunately, I haven't forgotten him...he's like a never ending horror story. As much as I try to forget about him..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21693 on: October 21, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
Or Mbao

Or Shayok, Barro, and close with Embed.  CTC also had quite the pipeline going at I4 with the African Hoop Opportunities Providing an Education (A-HOPE).

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6587669

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21694 on: October 21, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
I do worry a bit that Wojo may grow frustrated in his inability to land premier recruits on a regular basis.  Recruiting top tier talent is brutal, and you're going to fail more than succeed when you're anyone other than Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc., but at what point does he throw his hands up?  He's failed to land any major non in state recruits since Markus, and has been after a boatload of them.

This is not to say that you cannot build a perennial top 25 program without top 20 type recruits.  You definitely can.  But it has to be draining to put in all that time on these top 20 type deals kids year after year, and end up empty handed. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21695 on: October 21, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
Or Harry Froling.

Damn, Fluff, I've got a bad cold and scrolled to your post in the midst of a coughing fit. The result was not pretty.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21696 on: October 21, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »
I do worry a bit that Wojo may grow frustrated in his inability to land premier recruits on a regular basis.  Recruiting top tier talent is brutal, and you're going to fail more than succeed when you're anyone other than Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc., but at what point does he throw his hands up?  He's failed to land any major non in state recruits since Markus, and has been after a boatload of them.

This is not to say that you cannot build a perennial top 25 program without top 20 type recruits.  You definitely can.  But it has to be draining to put in all that time on these top 20 type deals kids year after year, and end up empty handed.

I don't think its worth a worry. Either he gets that the only way to get them to take notice is tournament and conference success which then he looks in the mirror or he doesn't and he leaves in which case you don't want a coach who's looking for a scapegoat anyways
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21697 on: October 21, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »

What's your definition of "major"? Davis is ranked only slightly ahead of the two guys Wojo already has landed for this class, and those two could end up being just as good if not better.

If you're talking about the likes of Grimes and Mannion, a whole lot of other programs aren't getting them, either.

But I do get what you're saying. Rumors are that's what made Crean run away, too. If that's what chases Wojo, so be it. Lots of Scoopers would celebrate our good fortune.

The good news is that Wojo's replacement would step right in and immediately land one 5-star Burger Boy after another, just as Buzz, Crean, Deane, O'Neill and Dukiet did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21698 on: October 21, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »

So, this point keeps getting made, and it continues to make no sense.
Where is Wojo going to go that he won't face this dilemma?
Bluebloods aren't knocking on his door, so that's not an option.
Does he take a massive pay and status cut to go to a low-major where he'll never have to worry about losing a recruiting battle to a blueblood?
Does he take a massive pay and status cut and hope to land on Coach K's bench again?

I'm sure losing out on highly rated kids the staff has worked hard on sucks. But what's the alternative for him?
What he's experiencing is no different than what every other coach at this level experiences.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21699 on: October 21, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »

IF, big if indeed, he is getting close to throwing his hands up over recruiting it is time for him to get out of college basketball coaching and for MU to make a change ASAP.