Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8722347 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20425 on: September 17, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
And the hole your digging just keeps getting deeper.....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20426 on: September 17, 2019, 08:44:22 PM »
Listen sunshine...here's the deal...let's say MU only has one scholarship to give yet..and it's between Osa and Garcia...Are you telling me you're going to take Osa, just because he'd commit first, or are you going to wait another month or two and see what Garcia does.

I will dumb this down for you(and others) even more...let's say you have this cute girl that is interested in you and is willing to commit to you...however, you also know that this really hot chick is possibly obtainable, but she isn't ready to commit to you yet, but she is definitely interested. Now, sure, you can "settle" for the cute chick, that is a wonderful chick in her own right, but you also know the one you REALLY want and the one you'd be happiest with is the really hot chick that's interested in you.

You can "take" the cute chick right now because she wants you and is ready to commit, but that possibly takes you out of the running for the hot chick. However, if you wait until the hot chick is ready to commit, you might end up getting exactly what you want, and if you don't ultimately end up with her, what have you lost?? There's other "cute" chicks that would commit to you. Or, you could just stay single for awhile, wait things out and perhaps land another "hot" chick later on after she breaks up with her previous boyfriend. Seems like a no brainer to me, but...of course no one would agree with me, because well...that would go against everything anyone believes in even though the analogy is 100% SPOT on.  ;)

Here’s the deal. I trust Wojo and Co know what they’re doing more than I do you and your silly analogies. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20427 on: September 17, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
Except there are 4 other scholarships available.  One for Garcia if he wants it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20428 on: September 17, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
Listen sunshine...here's the deal...let's say MU only has one scholarship to give yet..and it's between Osa and Garcia...Are you telling me you're going to take Osa, just because he'd commit first, or are you going to wait another month or two and see what Garcia does.

I will dumb this down for you(and others) even more...let's say you have this cute girl that is interested in you and is willing to commit to you...however, you also know that this really hot chick is possibly obtainable, but she isn't ready to commit to you yet, but she is definitely interested. Now, sure, you can "settle" for the cute chick, that is a wonderful chick in her own right, but you also know the one you REALLY want and the one you'd be happiest with is the really hot chick that's interested in you.

You can "take" the cute chick right now because she wants you and is ready to commit, but that possibly takes you out of the running for the hot chick. However, if you wait until the hot chick is ready to commit, you might end up getting exactly what you want, and if you don't ultimately end up with her, what have you lost?? There's other "cute" chicks that would commit to you. Or, you could just stay single for awhile, wait things out and perhaps land another "hot" chick later on after she breaks up with her previous boyfriend. Seems like a no brainer to me, but...of course no one would agree with me, because well...that would go against everything anyone believes in even though the analogy is 100% SPOT on.  ;)

Do you live alone?  Just curious.

This is absolutely the best/worst analogy ever.  It also demonstrates exactly why you're wrong.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20429 on: September 17, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »

What if I am Mormon?  Can't I have them all?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20430 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Do you live alone?  Just curious.

This is absolutely the best/worst analogy ever.  It also demonstrates exactly why you're wrong.
it's been a bad week for analogies around here.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20431 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »
Isn't the described scenario almost exactly what happened with Gabe York, and Kris Dunn, and we ended up getting neither of them?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20432 on: September 17, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
Isn't the described scenario almost exactly what happened with Gabe York, and Kris Dunn, and we ended up getting neither of them?

Now THAT is an on point analogy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20433 on: September 17, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »
Yes. No question. Only an idiot would do otherwise.

No only an idiot takes Osa with ONE scholarship available if you have a chance if you just wait a bit longer to land Garcia. if you don't and lose Osa, well, that's just the way it goes, then you have the scholarship available to get a transfer.

You can say that's idiotic, because well, anything else wouldn't fit your narrative Brew. That's how you roll. Even though, YOU'D be the idiot for NOT waiting for Garcia under that scenario. Tell me exactly what you'd lose?? NOTHING..Not a single thing, as much as I like the Osa commit.

Find me one example anywhere in college basketball thru the years in recruiting where a staff hasn't possibly taken a commit too early for whatever reason, and found out later on, that had they waited just a little longer, they WOULD have had their #1 target. Also give me an example of a staff that HASN'T ever told a kid they need to wait until they see what other offers are going to do first..Find me a staff that DOESN'T have preferred targets.

You never know what a  kid wants or doesn't want..Look at Hawkins, he eliminated MU once Osa committed(and i have said I'd rather have Osa) kids do that all the time. Sure, there's still room for Garcia, and it could all end up being a moot point and he comes anyway(I hope so), but you just don't know. Yes, Garcia is a different player then Osa and Lewis, but that doesn't necessarily mean, it won't make him NOT choose MU now. Maybe he wants to be the priority. Maybe he wanted to see who else MU got before he committed. Maybe it gives him a good enough reason to eliminate MU in his mind.

Remember when MU was all in on Quentin Grimes?? Chased him until the very end..I guarantee you they could have had other commits in the meantime, but they put them off to pursue Grimes, and it seems ot me, almost everyone here was 100% in favor of that strategy. In the end they didn't get him, but you cannot blame Wojo for that strategy. It was 100% the right way to do it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20434 on: September 17, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »
No only an idiot takes Osa with ONE scholarship available if you have a chance if you just wait a bit longer to land Garcia. if you don't and lose Osa, well, that's just the way it goes, then you have the scholarship available to get a transfer.

You can say that's idiotic, because well, anything else wouldn't fit your narrative Brew. That's how you roll. Even though, YOU'D be the idiot for NOT waiting for Garcia under that scenario. Tell me exactly what you'd lose?? NOTHING..Not a single thing, as much as I like the Osa commit.

Find me one example anywhere in college basketball thru the years in recruiting where a staff hasn't possibly taken a commit too early for whatever reason, and found out later on, that had they waited just a little longer, they WOULD have had their #1 target. Also give me an example of a staff that HASN'T ever told a kid they need to wait until they see what other offers are going to do first..Find me a staff that DOESN'T have preferred targets.

You never know what a  kid wants or doesn't want..Look at Hawkins, he eliminated MU once Osa committed(and i have said I'd rather have Osa) kids do that all the time. Sure, there's still room for Garcia, and it could all end up being a moot point and he comes anyway(I hope so), but you just don't know. Yes, Garcia is a different player then Osa and Lewis, but that doesn't necessarily mean, it won't make him NOT choose MU now. Maybe he wants to be the priority. Maybe he wanted to see who else MU got before he committed. Maybe it gives him a good enough reason to eliminate MU in his mind.

Remember when MU was all in on Quentin Grimes?? Chased him until the very end..I guarantee you they could have had other commits in the meantime, but they put them off to pursue Grimes, and it seems ot me, almost everyone here was 100% in favor of that strategy. In the end they didn't get him, but you cannot blame Wojo for that strategy. It was 100% the right way to do it.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20435 on: September 17, 2019, 09:07:41 PM »

And Dunn ended up being the better player even though Buzz held out for York.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20436 on: September 17, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »

Most of this is useless crap, but I'll address some.

First, there were 5 scholarships available when Osa committed, so that's nonsense.

It's idiotic because you don't turn down a top-75 player for a 14.3% chance at a top-30 player. If we were talking 100% chance of Osa or Dawson, sure, you take Dawson, but that's not the case. It's 100% Osa or 14.3% Dawson. But actually, because there were open scholarships, it was actually this:

Scenario 1: 100% Osa / 14.3% Dawson
Scenario 2: 0% Osa / 14.3% Dawson

Hmm...which is better?

And finally...we had Gabe York. That recruitment was sealed. But we chased Kris Dunn, made York wait, then he went elsewhere and Dunn picked Providence. So pushing off one commit for a chance at another can and has backfired.

Seriously, why not try to explain how recruiting works to Mark Miller again?

• All American
« Reply #20437 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »

Considering that Grimes didn’t come here and bombed out at Kansas, I’m not sure this makes the point you think it does.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20438 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:58 PM »
What if I am Mormon?  Can't I have them all?

Yes, in a perfect world, this would be the desired outcome, and you'd welcome it with open arms. That being said, IF there's a chance of this happening, and ultimately your preferred girl(if you can only have one), is making you wait, until she's truly ready to commit to you, and she's the girl that would make you happiest, why would you risk doing ANYTHING that could possibly scare her away until she's decided?? That seems foolish...because couldn't it be said that if the girl that is ready to commit to you now, wants you badly enough that she's also willing to wait things out until you're ready to commit to her?? And if she's not, and moves on...well, there's plenty of them out there just like her...live to fight another day.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20439 on: September 17, 2019, 09:15:41 PM »
Hey Guru-

Pop a Pep's pizza in the oven and take the rest of the night off.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20440 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:05 PM »
Most of this is useless crap, but I'll address some.

First, there were 5 scholarships available when Osa committed, so that's nonsense.

It's idiotic because you don't turn down a top-75 player for a 14.3% chance at a top-30 player. If we were talking 100% chance of Osa or Dawson, sure, you take Dawson, but that's not the case. It's 100% Osa or 14.3% Dawson. But actually, because there were open scholarships, it was actually this:

Scenario 1: 100% Osa / 14.3% Dawson
Scenario 2: 0% Osa / 14.3% Dawson

Hmm...which is better?

And finally...we had Gabe York. That recruitment was sealed. But we chased Kris Dunn, made York wait, then he went elsewhere and Dunn picked Providence. So pushing off one commit for a chance at another can and has backfired.

Seriously, why not try to explain how recruiting works to Mark Miller again?

I'm trying to explain it to you because you obviously need the help, but you aren't listening. Here's a life lesson Brew while we are at it, sometimes, it's okay to admit you're wrong and admit others are right, even when you can't stand that person. because that person may just know a little something about things, from life's experiences.

Yes, it's backfired, but that also makes my point...you have five scholarships to give, if you don't take Osa because even something small like that could POTENTIALLY scare Garcia away, why risk it?? Isn't it logical to assume you'd still be able to fill that scholarship at another time with another player that has the same upside as Osa if not more via transfer etc??

You're the kind of guy Brew that even if Garcia has told the staff "I'm coming, but I just want to wait awhile to announce it, however in the meantime I'd ask that you not bring in any more bigs", you'd still take Osa, because you do you.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #20441 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:44 PM »
Guys, can we get back to recruiting “news”, rather than personal attacks?  I’d hate to see this thread locked up by Rocky after Glow has tried to keep the thread on track. There have also been a lot of great recruiting updates on here. Move the personal crap to a different thread or into PMs.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20442 on: September 17, 2019, 09:18:57 PM »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20443 on: September 17, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »
it's okay to admit you're wrong and admit others are right, even when you can't stand that person. because that person may just know a little something about things, from life's experiences.

Take your own advice.

even if Garcia has told the staff "I'm coming, but I just want to wait awhile to announce it, however in the meantime I'd ask that you not bring in any more bigs", you'd still take Osa, because you do you.

Except there's no reason to suspect this happened, so it's a stupid supposition. Go back to Scenario 1 & 2 and tell us which you prefer. I'll wait.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20444 on: September 17, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
Guys, can we get back to recruiting “news”, rather than personal attacks?  I’d hate to see this thread locked up by Rocky after Glow has tried to keep the thread on track. There have also been a lot of great recruiting updates on here. Move the personal crap to a different thread or into PMs.

This is the smartest thing I have seen posted in the last few pages...thank you lighthouse. It seems most just sit here and froth at the mouth waiting for me to post so they can rip it to shreds. It's a VERY weird obsession they have. As the saying goes, when you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. That's EXACTLY what's on display here. Let's get back to talking recruiting.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20445 on: September 17, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »

You've actually made yourself look even more obtuse with this response, which was not an easy achievement.  Let me try to explain something to you in the simplest of ways, which likely won't be enough.

Marquette has MORE THAN ONE scholarship to give.  Your ridiculous "cute chick/hot chick" comparison is not remotely relevant.  A top 75 player that they've recruited hard, and wouldn't make Garcia redundant, wanted to commit.  Garcia hadn't even cut his list to 7.  You take that player in those circumstances 100 percent of the time. 

This is not a difficult concept whatsoever yet you somehow fail to grasp it.  Everyone else here is wrong but you're right again though, huh? 

• All American
« Reply #20446 on: September 17, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
This is the smartest thing I have seen posted in the last few pages...thank you lighthouse. It seems most just sit here and froth at the mouth waiting for me to post so they can rip it to shreds. It's a VERY weird obsession they have. As the saying goes, when you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. That's EXACTLY what's on display here. Let's get back to talking recruiting.

I think people are doing a real good job of dismantling the message.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20447 on: September 17, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »
Take your own advice.

Except there's no reason to suspect this happened, so it's a stupid supposition. Go back to Scenario 1 & 2 and tell us which you prefer. I'll wait.

When I'm wrong I admit it...I'm not sure I have ever seen you admit it however. You're a lot like Sultan in that way, I have never seen him admit it either.

How do you know it DIDN'T happen that way?? We don't, but my point is, even if it did, you would still take Osa..because well, saying anything different proves I'm right, which I am. :) Have a good night Brew. I like you, I really do, to be honest, you seem like a decent dude, but you're strange obsession with always attacking every post I make(even when I am 100% right). Perhaps it's arrogance, or just some weird obsession you have, either way, it's a bit disturbing to be.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20448 on: September 17, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
I think people are doing a real good job of dismantling the message.

Of course YOU think that, why wouldn't you?? Where in the history of these message boards have you EVER admitted you have been wrong about anything?? You haven't..that's weird.

• All American
« Reply #20449 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »

You've actually made yourself look even more obtuse with this response, which was not an easy achievement.  Let me try to explain something to you in the simplest of ways, which likely won't be enough.

Marquette has MORE THAN ONE scholarship to give.  Your ridiculous "cute chick/hot chick" comparison is not remotely relevant.  A top 75 player that they've recruited hard, and wouldn't make Garcia redundant, wanted to commit.  Garcia hadn't even cut his list to 7.  You take that player in those circumstances 100 percent of the time. 

This is not a difficult concept whatsoever yet you somehow fail to grasp it.  Everyone else here is wrong but you're right again though, huh? 

Furthermore, we ARE in his top seven even with Osa’s commit. I mean he is insisting something is a problem, even though there was scant evidence to suggest it was actually a problem, THEN was shown it never was a problem. 

Yet he’s right and everyone else is wrong?  🤔🤔🤔