[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338029 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16200 on: February 11, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
A good coach knows when to say things publicly and knows how to say them. A coach who fails to understand it one who is bad at part of his job.

I'm sure there are plenty of former Crean players who, at least privately, would not wax poetic about him.

Reminds me a little of Tom Kelly, the old Twinkies manager. His veteran position players and a few select pitchers loved him, and to listen to them you'd think "everybody loves TK." But many, many players, especially pitchers, didn't like him at all.

Biggest difference between Kelly and Crean, of course, is that Kelly actually won something and didn't hang a banner just because it was a day ending in "y."

Crean won a few things....a few Big Ten Championships, got to a Final Four, etc. 

Yes, I agree that some players will swear by a coach and others don’t.  I found it interesting with most of Crean’s guys that excelled, they have been largely complimentary like Oladipo, Wade, etc.  Maybe because he pushed them so hard to be better and they did just that?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16201 on: February 11, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »
Crean won a few things....a few Big Ten Championships, got to a Final Four, etc. 

Yes, I agree that some players will swear by a coach and others don’t.  I found it interesting with most of Crean’s guys that excelled, they have been largely complimentary like Oladipo, Wade, etc.  Maybe because he pushed them so hard to be better and they did just that?

Fair enough on your first point calling out my hyperbole. Compared to somebody who actually has won the championship of his sport, Crean has won bupkis. But sure, getting to the FF and winning a conference title is winning something tangible -- we'd take either (but would prefer both) with Wojo.

As for what his coaching did for Wade, Oladipo, etc, who knows? We weren't there. And it's all in context ... did Crean "push" them any harder or better than any other good coach would have.

BTW, I speak this as one who appreciates what Crean did for our program. Doesn't mean he should be a tool, though. They aren't mutually exclusive. One doesn't need to be a tool to win. Neither Wright nor K (to name 2 of dozens) would have thrown kids under the bus like that.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16202 on: February 11, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »
Like the sun rising in the East,  chicos defending his butt boy Crean.  For the umpteenth time Crean does something classless that is called out by the national media and chicos hears it as his call to duty.  Pathetic n nothing less.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16203 on: February 11, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »
Eye'm figurin' dis ta bee a calculated move bye T-Cubed. Essentially, wants da limburger cheese ta leeve da program sew hee kan bring inn sum triple creme brie, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16204 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:04 PM »
Eye'm figurin' dis ta bee a calculated move bye T-Cubed. Essentially, wants da limburger cheese ta leeve da program sew hee kan bring inn sum triple creme brie, aina?

And then underperform with it?
Hes definitely developed a pattern.  Suckers falling for the Dwade n Olidipo bait n switch.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16205 on: February 11, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »
Speaking of things that are stated publicly: Any public statements about how the Dawson Garcia visit went?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16206 on: February 11, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
Fair enough on your first point calling out my hyperbole. Compared to somebody who actually has won the championship of his sport, Crean has won bupkis. But sure, getting to the FF and winning a conference title is winning something tangible -- we'd take either (but would prefer both) with Wojo.

As for what his coaching did for Wade, Oladipo, etc, who knows? We weren't there. And it's all in context ... did Crean "push" them any harder or better than any other good coach would have.

BTW, I speak this as one who appreciates what Crean did for our program. Doesn't mean he should be a tool, though. They aren't mutually exclusive. One doesn't need to be a tool to win. Neither Wright nor K (to name 2 of dozens) would have thrown kids under the bus like that.

You are right we weren’t there, so I rely on what those guys said themselves about him.  Isn’t that what should matter? 

I know this, Diener, Novak, Oladipo, etc, were not forgone conclusions to have NBA careers of any kind when they started at MU.  Maybe that is why they thank their coach.  Same as other players thank Buzz or others thank whomever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:09:40 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #16207 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
Speaking of things that are stated publicly: Any public statements about how the Dawson Garcia visit went?

Nah, the Recruiting Thread isn't the place to discuss something relevant and important like this.
Instead let's have a Tom Crean pissing match for the thousandth time in the thousandth thread.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16208 on: February 11, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
You are right we weren’t there, so I rely on what those guys said themselves about him.  Isn’t that what should matter? 

I know this, Diener, Novak, Oladipo, etc, were not forgone conclusions to have NBA careers of any kind when they started at MU.  Maybe that is why they thank their coach.  Same as other players thank Buzz or others thank whomever.

Funny because you brought those names up on multiple posts here and one of those guys almost transferred his junior year because of the coach. 

Crean was hard on his players, and a real jack@ss to pretty much everybody other than the star.  Yes, he was/is a used cars salesman with a playbook that rivals NFL teams (spend countless hours watching NBA film and their sets), but he pushed guys hard and if you could take it you did get better.

***Edit*** Sorry for posting in the recruiting thread, I would delete if I knew how.  So nobody had any insight on the Dawson visit?  Do we know if the Johnson brothers, Sibley and Dawson got to spend any time together?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:36:44 PM by NWarsh »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16209 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
I realize it's not scoop unless we let petty arguments into the thread, but I really would like to keep this one to recruiting of current prospects (which does not include semantic debates about whether we lost or never had a recruit).

I realize this makes me a curmudgeon, but it was a huge recruiting week and I keep seeing updates to this thread only to find literally no information--only bickering.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #16210 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
Nah, the Recruiting Thread isn't the place to discuss something relevant and important like this.
Instead let's have a Tom Crean pissing match for the thousandth time in the thousandth thread.

Get 'em!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16211 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
Meanwhile his former players still swear by him....weird

Any coach who's ever carried a clipboard has players who support him....so not weird, but meaningless.

Crean is good at currying favor with people who can do him good, make him money. His stars, A.D.s, etc., think he's swell. Regular folk know better.

Apologies to all who are sick of this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:54:14 PM by Lennys Tap »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16212 on: February 11, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
Any coach who's ever carried a clipboard has players who support him....so not weird, but meaningless.

Crean is good at currying favor with people who can do him good, make him money. His stars, A.D.s, etc., think he's swell. Regular folk know better.

Apologies to all who are sick of this.

Can we just make an ND/Crean sucks thread and get this crap out of the other threads?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16213 on: February 11, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
Can we just make an ND/Crean sucks thread and get this crap out of the other threads?

Never happen, he has only been gone for 11 years.  Will not stop or maybe pair down abit when it reaches 20 years.

Great mention for him getting the number 2 recruit in country, especially in the Recruiting Thread, but the endless ATV, karate, limos, ice cream truck, tackling dummies, Riley trophies, Crean sucks, hand shake lines, Crean/Buzz comparisons, being a jerk, not being a jerk, or so much more.  Just a core few here who like to continuously shake it up with him, so just read and move on. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16214 on: February 11, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
So....how's MU recruiting going? Or is this the wrong thread?

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16215 on: February 11, 2019, 05:54:07 PM »
Back on topic please! Let’s focus on the present. Good team, Good coaching staff,clean program we can be proud of

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16216 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:16 PM »
Funny because you brought those names up on multiple posts here and one of those guys almost transferred his junior year because of the coach. 

Crean was hard on his players, and a real jack@ss to pretty much everybody other than the star.  Yes, he was/is a used cars salesman with a playbook that rivals NFL teams (spend countless hours watching NBA film and their sets), but he pushed guys hard and if you could take it you did get better.

***Edit*** Sorry for posting in the recruiting thread, I would delete if I knew how.  So nobody had any insight on the Dawson visit?  Do we know if the Johnson brothers, Sibley and Dawson got to spend any time together?

Yup, and they admitted after the fact he was really really hard on them and did almost transfer, but now glad they didn’t.  It took them after the fact to understand what he was trying to do.

The list of players that said this regard Knight when I was there are endless.  18-22 year olds don’t always get it.  For the same reason kids sometimes come to their parents when they are in their 30’s and 40’s and say, “I get it now, but I didn’t then...I was angry then, but thank you for being tough on me but with love”.   Why is this a thing, human nature as far as I’m concerned.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16217 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »
So....how's MU recruiting going? Or is this the wrong thread?

How would Tom Crean recruit Dawson Garcia? How much would Crean be thinking about him?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16218 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
How would Tom Crean recruit Dawson Garcia? How much would Crean be thinking about him?

A whole lot.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16219 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »
Thank you guys.

Any updates on my chart, boys?  Any news from the visits?  Any recruit say 'I can't imagine playing anywhere else?' 

onepost

• All American
« Reply #16220 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
JayBee, I'm curious your thoughts on our chances with Garcia.
I trust your take on Minnesota guys like I'd trust Mark Miller with Wisconsin guys.  Is there reason to have some legit optimism in this one?  Does the success of both Theo and Sacar make a difference with DG?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16221 on: February 11, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16222 on: February 11, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
Commentary on Jalen Johnson from an informed commentator.
https://twitter.com/SwaggyDu1/status/1094698801468764160
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #16223 on: February 11, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
Strawther releasing top 10 tomorrow

https://twitter.com/julianstrawther/status/1095168872934559745?s=21

I would be amazingly surprised if we weren’t on this list

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #16224 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
Commentary on Jalen Johnson from an informed commentator.
https://twitter.com/SwaggyDu1/status/1094698801468764160

Good lord, this kid looks like a man. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t end up at Duke. There’s no way he plays for Gard and his 340th ranked tempo.