[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8307483 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/19
« Reply #16176 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
If we go the transfer route, I think a sit-out big would be ideal. Ideally a freshman that would sit & have 3 years left.

That sounds good to me.  But a stud wing would also be welcome.  Gotta see who's available.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16177 on: February 10, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »
http://endlessmotor.net/2019/02/10/em-5-guard-nimari-burnett-having-monster-season-breaks-down-recruitment-with-2-visits-on-deck/

https://stockrisers.com/2019/02/10/four-star-junior-ethan-morton-breaks-down-recruitment-and-more/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Say he will cut his list in the fall and is looking for tradition, coaching, good academics, and early playing time. Lists us as one of the six schools he's hearing from the most. None of them particularly scare me. Arizona usually would but they're dealing with a lot of smoke at the moment. Go got em Wojo (and Stan)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16179 on: February 10, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
Does anyone have a feel for how Garcia's visit went? 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16180 on: February 10, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
Does anyone have a feel for how Garcia's visit went?

Also quite interested if anyone has heard anything. Hoping for some good news on that front!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16181 on: February 10, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
I know Jalen Johnson is the big prize but I think it would be great to go after younger brother Kobe on his own merits for 2021. I think Kobe will be an excellent Big East style guard.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16183 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »
Don't know why, but it's always funny to me when I hear 17-year-olds boasting about their own basketball IQs.

Yep. And when Al heard through the grapevine that those types werent likely to respond to his recruiting overtures....he would pen them a nice “Dear John” letter nonetheless....stating succinctly that there was no vacancy at the Warrior Inn.  In reality, although there was never a relationship to start, he didn’t want them anyway. Young people that were boastful and cocky, without “earning” their swagger, didn’t sit well with Al McGuire.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16184 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »
Yep. And when Al heard through the grapevine that those types werent likely to respond to his recruiting overtures....he would pen them a nice “Dear John” letter nonetheless....stating succinctly that there was no vacancy at the Warrior Inn.  In reality, although there was never a relationship to start, he didn’t want them anyway. Young people that were boastful and cocky, without “earning” their swagger, didn’t sit well with Al McGuire.
I’ts not 1966. The world has changed in the last 50 years. Zion wouldn’t even be playing on Varsity. Now, he has to play at least one year of college ball. Kids graduating early to go to college, kids reclassifying....I’m sure Al would have an opinion on these as well.
If the 5* kid claims to have a high b-ball IQ, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16185 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:11 AM »
Yeah I'm really not sure where the problem is with a kid saying he has a high basketball IQ.

Does he have a high basketball IQ compared to a LeBron James?  Maybe not.  But guess what?  He's not going up against LeBron James at the level he's at, nor at the level he's being recruited to play at.

If Markus Howard was asked what his strengths were by Matt Velasquez when he committed to Marquette and he said, "I'm a good perimeter shooter," is that a problem?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16186 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
Honestly, I just think its the term "basketball IQ". If you hear a guy bragging about his IQ you roll your eyes and think he's a windbag. But basketball IQ is just a term we use to describe a certain set of basketball skills. The player could boast about having good court awareness and it would mean the same thing but it wouldn't sound as weird.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #16187 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:17 AM »
Yeah I'm really not sure where the problem is with a kid saying he has a high basketball IQ.

Does he have a high basketball IQ compared to a LeBron James?  Maybe not.  But guess what?  He's not going up against LeBron James at the level he's at, nor at the level he's being recruited to play at.

If Markus Howard was asked what his strengths were by Matt Velasquez when he committed to Marquette and he said, "I'm a good perimeter shooter," is that a problem?

Perimeter shooting?!  Why, in Al's day, he wouldn't even think of recruiting someone that was good at shooting threes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16188 on: February 11, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
Not Marquette related, but Georgia just landed the #1 recruit in 2019 (depending on which service you use) Anthony Edwards. Impressive get for Crean.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #16189 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
Not Marquette related, but Georgia just landed the #1 recruit in 2019 (depending on which service you use) Anthony Edwards. Impressive get for Crean.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #16190 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »
Don't know why, but it's always funny to me when I hear 17-year-olds boasting about their own basketball IQs.

I have no problem hearing an elite athlete self evaluative how well they understand the game in an interview.  Now, hearing the same from grown adults from outside the discipline on a message board?  I’ll pass on that.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

irishwarrior14

• Walk-On
« Reply #16191 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16192 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
“It’s not a knock on them.”
                           —TC

Always out for #1, even at the expense of his players. What a douce.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16193 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
For the record, I'm not outraged or upset or affected in any way about the basketball IQ thing. I am just a little amused by it. When you are 16 or 17 or 18 you have a million things to learn to be "wise," but I do get that "basketball IQ" has become a cliche.

Boasting about one's shooting ability or one's leaping ability, while still boasting, is discussing a measurable, something that can be proven. Markus shot a very high percentage in high school, so him stating he was a good shooter would have simply been him reciting a fact. Zion's vertical leap can be measured.

"Basketball IQ"? It's coach-ese that has gotten put into the lexicon and is now used by everybody. Even teen-agers to describe themselves.

Again, it doesn't bother me. I just think it's funny.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16194 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
My take on basketball IQ is a kid who makes the right play the vast majority of the time.

Sam Hauser for example.......

When I watched a few of Symir's games thought he had a good basketball IQ......rarely turned it over......made smart passes....took good shots....etc.....made others better.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16195 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16196 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Meanwhile his former players still swear by him....weird

Not sure what that has to do with anything.......this was an idiotic thing to say....and if Buzz said it you would be rightly ripping him for it.

Nobody expected him to win this year....he didn't need to rip his players in the media and basically pat himself on the back for not running them off.......I mean really?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16197 on: February 11, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
Not sure what that has to do with anything.......this was an idiotic thing to say....and if Buzz said it you would be rightly ripping him for it.

Nobody expected him to win this year....he didn't need to rip his players in the media and basically pat himself on the back for not running them off.......I mean really?

He stated the truth, he also should ‘t have said it.  Also truthful, his former players that he recruited seem to praise him.  I think what he said was dumb and not necessary.  It was also truthful.  He cut most guys lose at IU because they needed to be cut due to the crap they were pulling there.  It extended his rebuild by at least a year.  He went a different way this time.  His choice, his remarks, he will have to live with them.  Doesn’t change that Wade, Diener, Novak, etc, etc keep swearing by the guy.  It is possible to do both.  I can not be a Buzz fan for dragging my school through the front pages with poor choices, but he can still be loved by others as well as some players.  Same goes for KO, Crean, Deane, Wojo, etc...do you not agree?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16198 on: February 11, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
He stated the truth, he also should ‘t have said it.  Also truthful, his former players that he recruited seem to praise him.  I think what he said was dumb and not necessary.  It was also truthful.  He cut most guys lose at IU because they needed to be cut due to the crap they were pulling there.  It extended his rebuild by at least a year.  He went a different way this time.  His choice, his remarks, he will have to live with them.  Doesn’t change that Wade, Diener, Novak, etc, etc keep swearing by the guy.  It is possible to do both.  I can not be a Buzz fan for dragging my school through the front pages with poor choices, but he can still be loved by others as well as some players.  Same goes for KO, Crean, Deane, Wojo, etc...do you not agree?

STFU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16199 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »

A good coach knows when to say things publicly and knows how to say them. A coach who fails to understand it one who is bad at part of his job.

I'm sure there are plenty of former Crean players who, at least privately, would not wax poetic about him.

Reminds me a little of Tom Kelly, the old Twinkies manager. His veteran position players and a few select pitchers loved him, and to listen to them you'd think "everybody loves TK." But many, many players, especially pitchers, didn't like him at all.

Biggest difference between Kelly and Crean, of course, is that Kelly actually won something and didn't hang a banner just because it was a day ending in "y."