[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337633 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14500 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14501 on: August 18, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
Ok back to recruiting

https://twitter.com/coachmantegna/status/1030424082691620865?s=21

So 3 out of our Final 5 have scheduled an official with us. Just waiting on Rocket and Mr. Lundy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14502 on: August 18, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #14503 on: August 19, 2018, 04:13:02 AM »
Ok back to recruiting

https://twitter.com/coachmantegna/status/1030424082691620865?s=21

Is there any Body of Evidence for this.....or is it just a House of Games?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14504 on: August 19, 2018, 05:56:40 AM »
Is there any Body of Evidence for this.....or is it just a House of Games?

Is this a legitimate question?

Joe Mantagna at Blair Academy has averaged about 1 high major recruit a year since he's been at Blair the last 18-19 years, so he's not going to post something like this if it isn't true.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14505 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
Is this a legitimate question?

Joe Mantagna at Blair Academy has averaged about 1 high major recruit a year since he's been at Blair the last 18-19 years, so he's not going to post something like this if it isn't true.
Will be interesting to see if Buzz offers Dexter.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TedBaxter

• All American
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:46:51 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #14509 on: August 19, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »
Yes.  Anytime you classify people by race, versus their individual ability, it is an example of racism.

There is racism and there is realism.  74.4 percent of players in the NBA are Black.  70% in the NFL.  100% of Olympic 100M sprinters are Black.

There are exceptions to everything.  Yet, it is not silly, stupid, nor racist to hedge your bets in your are an NBA or NFL GM, and if its a close call on a player - you probably go with the odds.

I'm sure some of the easily aggrieved and offended here will be outraged with such a post, but it shouldn't be deemed "racist" to talk in real terms.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14510 on: August 19, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
If anyone out there would like an example of a good neck, Dexter is exhibit 1.  Dexter uses that neck strength  and is a  solid defender. 
https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/recruiting-report-dexter-akanno/

Dexter  is right up there with Jeenathan in terms of neck strength. Jeenethen is projected by some to be Mr. Lockdown of the freshman elite. So maybe MU gets a second bite at that apple via Dexter.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-rankings-Superlatives-for-Zion-Williamson-Bol-Bol-Romeo-Langford-117476661/
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14511 on: August 19, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
There is racism and there is realism.  74.4 percent of players in the NBA are Black.  70% in the NFL.  100% of Olympic 100M sprinters are Black.

There are exceptions to everything.  Yet, it is not silly, stupid, nor racist to hedge your bets in your are an NBA or NFL GM, and if its a close call on a player - you probably go with the odds.

I'm sure some of the easily aggrieved and offended here will be outraged with such a post, but it shouldn't be deemed "racist" to talk in real terms.

To ask if people saw the color of his skin and say that if he looked like Zion Williamson maybe he would be starting at Duke or Nova but because he doesn’t he’ll be a nice bench player at any of the 4 schools he decides on and can’t be a one and done because there haven’t been a lot of white people who have gone one and done is racist.

It’s not racist to say “there are more African Americans in the NBA.” Nobody said it was.

It is racist to say, “This kid can’t be good enough to start at Marquette as a freshman because he’s white” is racist.

And it’s even more stupid than it is racist.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:53:16 AM by mannionsworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14512 on: August 19, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
Two stupid things:

++ An NBA team drafting a player because he is white to placate a racist fan base.

++ An NBA team "hedging its bets" by passing on a white player just because "odds" say the black guy would be better.

I'll bet a lot of NBA teams are happy they hedged their bets and went with the odds to pass on Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #14513 on: August 19, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
To ask if people saw the color of his skin and say that if he looked like Zion Williamson maybe he would be starting at Duke or Nova but because he doesn’t he’ll be a nice bench player at any of the 4 schools he decides on and can’t be a one and done because there haven’t been a lot of white people who have gone one and done is racist.

It’s not racist to say “there are more African Americans in the NBA.” Nobody said it was.

It is racist to say, “This kid can’t be good enough to start at Marquette as a freshman because he’s white” is racist.

All true.  I wasn't commenting back to the original post that sparked the outrage, but instead Sultan's take - which on the surface is largely true, yet there are also components that need to be acknowledged on how some personnel decisions may be made - whether that be in sports or elsewhere.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14514 on: August 19, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
If anyone out there would like an example of a good neck, Dexter is exhibit 1.  Dexter uses that neck strength  and is a  solid defender. 
https://www.prephoops.com/2018/04/recruiting-report-dexter-akanno/

Dexter  is right up there with Jeenathan in terms of neck strength. Jeenethen is projected by some to be Mr. Lockdown of the freshman elite. So maybe MU gets a second bite at that apple via Dexter.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-rankings-Superlatives-for-Zion-Williamson-Bol-Bol-Romeo-Langford-117476661/
Herman........you agreed not to discuss Jeenathen since he is no longer (or ever was) coming here.
I know it is difficult for you, but give it a try.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14515 on: August 19, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Dexter and nico would be my class of chioce for ‘19
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14516 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
Just to give my two cents worth.....

In the days of my youth, I never played with or against a white athlete.  So I had a preconceived notion of what they were all about. When I got to college , it was the first time I experienced playing with, and against, whites. That experience quickly changed my ideas. The hardest hits I ever received , the real bell ringers, were from the  white players that came from that Western Pennsylvania/ Ohio corridor and guys who played for very large high schools in Michigan.
The three best players on my  team who went on to great Sunday success were all whites who fit that mold. Intensity and heart are also intangibles that cannot be ascribed by any race.

The thing I learned way back then was that there are two concepts of athleticism. One is theoretical based on track and field time and other quantifiable measurements . The second is based on the ability to play at a fast speed. Ever since those days, I have valued athletes based on the latter, irrespective of their race. A player who can play fast and make good decisions is worth his weight in gold. Obviously, a player who is quantifiable fast strong etc and can play fast is going to be a star.

I would say this though, we lost a generation and a half of white team sport athletes starting in the late 70s to early 2000s, they opted out of competing and went to other sports. This dynamic has changed  a little bit in recent years, especially in basketball, with the growth in AAU allowing for rural and suburban kids to play with and against urban players, as well as changes in emphasis during the game relative to the 3 pointer.   
                       ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14517 on: August 19, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
Just to give my two cents worth.....

In the days of my youth, I never played with or against a white athlete.  So I had a preconceived notion of what they were all about. When I got to college , it was the first time I experienced playing with, and against, whites. That experience quickly changed my ideas. The hardest hits I ever received , the real bell ringers, were from the  white players that came from that Western Pennsylvania/ Ohio corridor and guys who played for very large high schools in Michigan.
The three best players on my  team who went on to great Sunday success were all whites who fit that mold. Intensity and heart are also intangibles that cannot be ascribed by any race.

The thing I learned way back then was that there are two concepts of athleticism. One is theoretical based on track and field time and other quantifiable measurements . The second is based on the ability to play at a fast speed. Ever since those days, I have valued athletes based on the latter, irrespective of their race. A player who can play fast and make good decisions is worth his weight in gold. Obviously, a player who is quantifiable fast strong etc and can play fast is going to be a star.

I would say this though, we lost a generation and a half of white team sport athletes starting in the late 70s to early 2000s, they opted out of competing and went to other sports. This dynamic has changed  a little bit in recent years, especially in basketball, with the growth in AAU allowing for rural and suburban kids to play with and against urban players, as well as changes in emphasis during the game relative to the 3 pointer.

...and the prominence of the European kids who have caught up to their American counterparts in playing the game.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14518 on: August 19, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
Two stupid things:

++ An NBA team drafting a player because he is white to placate a racist fan base.

++ An NBA team "hedging its bets" by passing on a white player just because "odds" say the black guy would be better.

I'll bet a lot of NBA teams are happy they hedged their bets and went with the odds to pass on Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki!
Thought it was agreed in scoop to use traditional when referencing a white basketball player. Isn't this the recruiting thread? I'm confused!
Goal is National Championship

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14519 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
With all due respect to some Scoopers in here, I stopped worrying about race in basketball right about the time Kareem Abdul-Jabbar demonstrated the ability to be the best basketball player known to mankind comes with an intellectual ability to understand society and to reason effectively.

There were many African Americans before Kareem, but Kareem was my generation. He was of the same mold as Bill Russell and, in football, Jim Brown.

It is disappointing to see this discussion in light of the fact that Al McGuire was a pioneer in integrating college basketball. Don't think for a minute that the feud between Adolph "the Bigot" Rupp and Al was anything but racial. Al was playing tough, African American athletes and more often than not got the best of the bigot and his all-white finness teams with street-ball style.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14520 on: August 19, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
Excellent Interview with Alex Antetokounmpo at the NBA Basketball without Borders event in Europe. He provides  a good self evaluation including his weaknesses and the things he needs to work on. Hopefully he continues to progress, I think this young man would represent MU well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEbA0UXy64s
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14521 on: August 19, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Excellent Interview with Alex Antetokounmpo at the NBA Basketball without Borders event in Europe. He provides  a good self evaluation including his weaknesses and the things he needs to work on. Hopefully he continues to progress, I think this young man would represent MU well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEbA0UXy64s

He'd be a real prospect if he were white.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14522 on: August 19, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
Yeah, the Dumbist element was even greater than the Racist element, somehow.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14523 on: August 19, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
Time to let it go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14524 on: August 19, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
"...with street-ball style."  ???

Rupp????  I don't think so.

McGuire????  I don't think so, either. 

Not the teams I watched for years coached by both men.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa