Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8461466 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14450 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
What do you think is a bigger deal, knowing that you'll have the ball in your hands on the first possession of a game, or the last possession of a close game?  I'd rather have a team of finishers.

What stat do you think is more indicative of this players basketball ability from the years 2009-2012, the 7 combined starts over three years, or the almost 30 mpg over the same time.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3992/james-harden

Starting no matta.

Again, I'd be willing to put money down that well over 50% of the top 100 recruits think starting is a big deal.

What you think really doesn't matter.  What Nico Mannion thinks is very important to Marquette basketball.

When he says in a highlight video (maybe not exact words), "I don't really want to go to a blue blood.  I want to go where I'm featured more like Trae Young did," my guess is he isn't envisioning not being introduced as a starter from day 1 in college, regardless of what his role is throughout the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:30:52 AM by mannionsworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14451 on: August 17, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
Again, I'd be willing to put money down that well over 50% of the top 100 recruits think starting is a big deal.

What you think really doesn't matter.  What Nico Mannion thinks is very important to Marquette basketball.

When he says in a highlight video (maybe not exact words), "I don't really want to go to a blue blood.  I want to go where I'm featured more like Trae Young did," my guess is he isn't envisioning not being introduced as a starter from day 1 in college, regardless of what his role is throughout the rest of the game.

So you can't answer either question.  Got it.

It doesn't matter what Nico thinks, it matters what Wojo, and Stan think.  Their pitch needs to be different than the other schools so it should be focused on the type of program and the relationship between players.  Don't get me wrong, if he comes here, I think he will start from day 1, but I don't think he automatically rules out a school if they can't guarantee that he will start a game 15 months from now.  What happens if Tre Jones doesn't go pro?  Is Duke automatically out?  Same situation for AZ with Doutrive and Williams. 

Taking one quote out of one interview doesn't exactly give us the whole picture of his recruitment.  If what you quoted was really as big of a deal that you think it is, he wouldn't have had 3 Blue Bloods in his final 4.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14452 on: August 17, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
I will use crayons if it helps.  Do u think we told Henry Ellenson he would have a chance to start?  A chance to maybe get time.  Or did he, the team, and the coaches already friggin know that he would be the best player on the team?  Not rocket science we are talking about a pro (his success in the nba aside). 
Kids like mannion n henry are pros, they are the best players on day 1.  If wojo or stan say u might not start Henry should have gone elsewhere simply because the coaches are idiots.  Now i filly understand that this team is head and shoulders above the team Henry joined but it doesnt matter.  McEwen, Elliott, and whomever else are fine college players. Nico is a pro.  He is visiting duke, nova and arizona as the defacto starting point guard as well. Its really not very hard

If Nico comes to Marquette he would not be the best player on day 1, or if he is, we are going to win the national championship. At best, I think he would be third. I could even see him being 5th or 6th depending on how he and others develop. Assuming everyone comes back, the 19-20 roster is going to be stacked.

Also, I would not say he is the de facto starting PG at Nova, Arizona, or Duke either. He will get plenty of minutes wherever he goes, but Nova will likely have Jahvon Quinerly still and Duke consistently pulls in top 10 players every season. Arizona will have a tone of veteran PGs on the roster though from my limited knowledge of them, Nico should be able to beat them all out but may be asked to play at the 2 given that he is a combo guard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14453 on: August 17, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
I will use crayons if it helps.  Do u think we told Henry Ellenson he would have a chance to start?  A chance to maybe get time.  Or did he, the team, and the coaches already friggin know that he would be the best player on the team?  Not rocket science we are talking about a pro (his success in the nba aside). 
Kids like mannion n henry are pros, they are the best players on day 1.  If wojo or stan say u might not start Henry should have gone elsewhere simply because the coaches are idiots.  Now i filly understand that this team is head and shoulders above the team Henry joined but it doesnt matter.  McEwen, Elliott, and whomever else are fine college players. Nico is a pro.  He is visiting duke, nova and arizona as the defacto starting point guard as well. Its really not very hard
Is Tom Brady replacing ARod or not??

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14454 on: August 17, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
What do you think is a bigger deal, knowing that you'll have the ball in your hands on the first possession of a game, or the last possession of a close game?  I'd rather have a team of finishers.

What stat do you think is more indicative of this players basketball ability from the years 2009-2012, the 7 combined starts over three years, or the almost 30 mpg over the same time.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3992/james-harden

Starting no matta.

Not that I disagree with your premise (starting no matta), but didn't Harden leave OKC because he was sick of coming off the bench and playing in Russ/KD's shadow? Might not be the best example to use. It matta'd to the player in question, which means it likely mattas to high end recruits as well.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14455 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »
If Nico comes to Marquette he would not be the best player on day 1, or if he is, we are going to win the national championship. At best, I think he would be third. I could even see him being 5th or 6th depending on how he and others develop. Assuming everyone comes back, the 19-20 roster is going to be stacked.

Also, I would not say he is the de facto starting PG at Nova, Arizona, or Duke either. He will get plenty of minutes wherever he goes, but Nova will likely have Jahvon Quinerly still and Duke consistently pulls in top 10 players every season. Arizona will have a tone of veteran PGs on the roster though from my limited knowledge of them, Nico should be able to beat them all out but may be asked to play at the 2 given that he is a combo guard.

I know its hard,  henry was the best player in the team.  I then qualified that this team was better, better players.  Then tried to specifically reference elliott and mcewen and also would have referenced any other potential point guards but off hand couldnt that might challenge Nico as the defacto day 1 starter.  Because isnt that we are talking about?? Nico mannion and him being the day 1 starter or are we discussing who will be a better PF in 2019??
Wtf??!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14456 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
Not that I disagree with your premise (starting no matta), but didn't Harden leave OKC because he was sick of coming off the bench and playing in Russ/KD's shadow? Might not be the best example to use. It matta'd to the player in question, which means it likely mattas to high end recruits as well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031893-james-harden-admits-money-was-deciding-factor-in-leaving-okc-thunder

Seems like he was okay with a bench role as long as he was payed similar to Russ and KD. 

To reiterate the point, Harden was asked if he would still be with the Thunder if money wasn't an issue.

"Definitely," he said. "Definitely. No question."

Point still stands that in terms of selling a recruit, guaranteeing the ability to take the last shot is more important than the first one.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14457 on: August 17, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
I know its hard,  henry was the best player in the team.  I then qualified that this team was better, better players.  Then tried to specifically reference elliott and mcewen and also would have referenced any other potential point guards but off hand couldnt that might challenge Nico as the defacto day 1 starter.  Because isnt that we are talking about?? Nico mannion and him being the day 1 starter or are we discussing who will be a better PF in 2019??
Wtf??!!!

Nico starting at Power Forward, now that would be an interesting pitch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14458 on: August 17, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »
Wtf??!!!

Its not that hard. You said Mannion would be the best player on day 1. I think you are wrong.

Kids like mannion n henry are pros, they are the best players on day 1. If wojo or stan say u might not start Henry should have gone elsewhere simply because the coaches are idiots.  Now i filly understand that this team is head and shoulders above the team Henry joined but it doesnt matter.  McEwen, Elliott, and whomever else are fine college players. Nico is a pro.  He is visiting duke, nova and arizona as the defacto starting point guard as well. Its really not very hard

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14459 on: August 17, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
Eye prefer finishin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14460 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
This is an interesting discussion.

++ I'd just love to be the fly on the wall when Stan and Wojo make their pitches. How do they word it? What exactly did Stan say to Nico to make Nico believe, "Their pitch is to come in and you’ll have the ball in your hands. ... I’ll be the main decision-maker, the ball will be in my hands. It’s a situation where if I play well, we’ll win. And if not, we’ll lose."?

++ Some Scoopers say, "These guys are future pros, likely 1-and-dones, so of course the coach is gonna promise them the starting job." OK ... what does Calipari say to the dozen-plus pros he recruits every year? Does he promise each of them a starting job?

++ There are ways to suggest a kid will come right in and be "the man" without saying those exact words, right?

++ Agree with those who say that if Nico joins us and is our best player on Day 1, we will contend for the national title, as we also will have Markus and Sam, plus Joey, plus a quality cast of role players (like Morrow, Cain and McEwen).

++ I also agree with wades about kids caring deeply about starting. All of us adults might know, pragmatically, that starting no matta. We have seen all the great 6th men over the years who didn't start but played the majority of minutes and definitely were finishers.

But to a 17-year-old kid who has been the star of every team he's played on since Biddy Ball?

Starting definitely, absolutely, 100% matta.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14461 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
Leave it to Scoop to make me hope Mannion announces this afternoon that he eliminated Marquette from consideration.

That way this god awful argument will die a quick death

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #14462 on: August 17, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
Leave it to Scoop to make me hope Mannion announces this afternoon that he eliminated Marquette from consideration.

If Nico comes to Marquette and leads us to a final four, listening (reading) to this argument will be something you look upon fondly

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/18
« Reply #14463 on: August 17, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »
Again, I think it's fun that folks on both sides of this argument are claiming to know what's going on in the heads of 16-year-old basketball players.

But to a 17-year-old kid who has been the star of every team he's played on since Biddy Ball?

Something doesn't add up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14464 on: August 17, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »

Well yeah.  He's 17 now.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14465 on: August 17, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »

No, because Cain would keep updating on Mannion
Goal is National Championship

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14466 on: August 17, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
This is an interesting discussion.

++ I'd just love to be the fly on the wall when Stan and Wojo make their pitches. How do they word it? What exactly did Stan say to Nico to make Nico believe, "Their pitch is to come in and you’ll have the ball in your hands. ... I’ll be the main decision-maker, the ball will be in my hands. It’s a situation where if I play well, we’ll win. And if not, we’ll lose."?

++ Some Scoopers say, "These guys are future pros, likely 1-and-dones, so of course the coach is gonna promise them the starting job." OK ... what does Calipari say to the dozen-plus pros he recruits every year? Does he promise each of them a starting job?

++ There are ways to suggest a kid will come right in and be "the man" without saying those exact words, right?

++ Agree with those who say that if Nico joins us and is our best player on Day 1, we will contend for the national title, as we also will have Markus and Sam, plus Joey, plus a quality cast of role players (like Morrow, Cain and McEwen).

++ I also agree with wades about kids caring deeply about starting. All of us adults might know, pragmatically, that starting no matta. We have seen all the great 6th men over the years who didn't start but played the majority of minutes and definitely were finishers.

Did anybody see the color of his skin, I am racist when it comes to basketball, if he was a 6'6", looked like Zion Williamson then maybe he would start and take MU
to the Final 4.   He will be hard pressed to be the star at AZ, or Villy or Duke for that matter.  I see him as a nice bench player at those schools and I am not sure he
is better than McEven who will be 4 years older than Nico.  I am not sure yet how much time Bailey gets here and he was a Top 100 kid 2 years ago.  The 2 years matured his body which really looks like it helped him, but 2 years ago he was a skinny runt and I see Nico having to but muscle on as well.  How many white kids are
one and done?  Kevin Love and Henry, both 6'10" or bigger. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14467 on: August 17, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »
Did anybody see the color of his skin, I am racist when it comes to basketball, if he was a 6'6", looked like Zion Williamson then maybe he would start and take MU
to the Final 4.   He will be hard pressed to be the star at AZ, or Villy or Duke for that matter.  I see him as a nice bench player at those schools and I am not sure he
is better than McEven who will be 4 years older than Nico.  I am not sure yet how much time Bailey gets here and he was a Top 100 kid 2 years ago.  The 2 years matured his body which really looks like it helped him, but 2 years ago he was a skinny runt and I see Nico having to but muscle on as well.  How many white kids are

Ooooooooookay. I guess I'd note that Luka Doncic, Donte DiVincenzo, & Kevin Huerter were all white early-entrant age players drafted in the first round this year. Lauri Markkanen & Zach Collins were one-and-done last year while Luke Kennard & Tyler Lydon were early-entrant first rounders as well last year. If they can play, they can play.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14468 on: August 17, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »

:o

So many questions. With race being a social construct what do you consider black vs white? Is Austin Rivers or Zach Lavine? This post has so many holes it's idiotic
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14469 on: August 17, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »

🤔🤔🤔

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #14470 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Did anybody see the color of his skin, I am racist when it comes to basketball, if he was a 6'6", looked like Zion Williamson then .................
FIFY

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14471 on: August 17, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
I am OUTRAGED someone didn't get the memo that Scoopers use the euphemism "traditionals" when discussing player race.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14472 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
I am dumber after reading this
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #14473 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »

This is one of the dumbest things ever said on this board.
And with the clowns who have been here for years, that's really saying something.

Jesus Christ.

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/18
« Reply #14474 on: August 17, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »
PM » Insert Quote
Quote from: MU82 on August 13, 2018, 09:06:14 AM
Again, I think it's fun that folks on both sides of this argument are claiming to know what's going on in the heads of 16-year-old basketball players.

Quote from: MU82 on Today at 01:44:02 PM

That's pretty funny, DJO. No excuses or alibis ... I plead guilty!

But at least I didn't say that Nico was only gonna be a bench player because he apparently is the wrong color to start.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback