Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8718829 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14400 on: August 15, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
Against most teams these type of players are fine. However, we will see how you feel after we try to stop Kansas's bigman. When I look at height, I am looking towards the NCAA tournament where you will eventually run into big centers.

I agree this will be interesting. Azubuike is a beast, but his style of play might be a decade or two too late. He's a load, but guys like that that aren't as effective on the perimeter offensively or defensively are becoming fewer and further between. In many ways, that game will be old school versus new school basketball.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #14401 on: August 15, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
You do realize that the Villanova team that mumark used as an example ran into Kansas in the tournament last season and ran them out of the gym right?

Absolutely correct. I love that style TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14402 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »
Yeah 6'8 or 6'9 with strength and mobility is perfect for the way basketball is played now.

Nova won the championship without anyone 6'10 or above.

They did have 3 6'9 guys who could guard all over the court and 2 of them could shoot 3s.......that will work just fine.

Now all we have to do is find them...... 8-)

Leads me to believe that the staff sees Eke in that role more than we might think.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14403 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
I like the conclusion of Ben Steele's article, too:

The Golden Eagles are already poised to have a deep roster for the 2019-'20 season, with Sam Hauser, Markus Howard, Sacar Anim and Ed Morrow as seniors; Jamal Cain, Greg Elliott, Theo John and Koby McEwen as juniors and Joey Hauser, Ike Eke and Bailey as sophomores. 

The Golden Eagles will have two scholarships to fill that season. If MU added a five-star point guard like Mannion, the Golden Eagles would likely boast one of the most-talented teams in the nation.

Here's hoping Nico also realizes this and wants to be part of something really special. Winning at Duke, Nova or Zona would be nice. Winning a national title at Marquette would be effen sensational!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14404 on: August 15, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
MU was one of the first to offer 2019 Nobal Days. Gainey and then Carrawell were the lead recruiters

Please don’t post dangerous lies like this.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14405 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »

Seriously. Gainey better not have been lead recruiter on anyone.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14406 on: August 15, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
You do realize that the Villanova team that mumark used as an example ran into Kansas in the tournament last season and ran them out of the gym right?
I knew someone would bring up Villanova. They did not have a true bigman, but they may of been the best shooting team of all time. When they won the tournament three years ago they did have a big center. They would not of beaten North Carolina in the championship game with out him. This year Wagner (Michigan) was also causing them a lot of trouble. Villanova rallied to win the game because their back up guard (Bucks #1 pick) came in the game and scored 31 points.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14407 on: August 15, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
I knew someone would bring up Villanova.

I would hope so....because you quoted a post in which someone used Villanova as an example to refute your point....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14408 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »
MU was one of the first to offer 2019 Nobal Days. Gainey and then Carrawell were the lead recruiters, don't know who lead recruiter is now.  Has not announced  final list or officials yet.  Not the typical high scoring big man, so will be interesting to see which way the winds blow.

https://marquettewire.org/3973255/sports/recruiting-dj-carton-nobal-days-discuss-recent-interest-from-marquette/

https://www.landof10.com/pwa/wisconsin/wisconsin/article/wisconsin-basketball-badgers-recruit-nobal-days

Please do the research before you point the finger. The two articles are very clear on these points. The father Al Days confirms that MU and Wisconsin were both early in the process

Marquette and Wisconsin came right after each other,” Al Days said. “But since then, it’s kind of gotten cloudy because now you’ve got a lot of interest.

As for Gainey and Carrawell. Marquette Wire story reports :

Did Marquette call you on the first day?
Yes, Coach (Chris) Carrawell did.

Has Carrawell taken over your recruitment since Justin Gainey joined Santa Clara’s staff?
Yeah, he’s taking over that spot for me.

Has the dynamic changed now that Carrawell is recruiting you instead of Gainey?
Nothing really changed because I had a good relationship with him too before. I had a good relationship with most of the coaches on that staff. It was a seamless change. It wasn’t like a new pop-up coach that I’ve never met before. I knew him before that too.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14409 on: August 15, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »
I knew someone would bring up Villanova. They did not have a true bigman, but they may of been the best shooting team of all time. When they won the tournament three years ago they did have a big center. They would not of beaten North Carolina in the championship game with out him. This year Wagner (Michigan) was also causing them a lot of trouble. Villanova rallied to win the game because their back up guard (Bucks #1 pick) came in the game and scored 31 points.

You do know that Wagner was a first round pick too.  It's not like it was Matt was out there tearing them apart.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14410 on: August 15, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
What kind of problem did Wagner give them exactly?

He had 16 points, 7 rebounds......and 4 turnovers......no block shots or steals. Offensive rating of 96 which is meh.......

The point is that saying they need a 6'10 guy .....like it's some sort elixir is just wrong. In case you missed it we had 3 6'10 or over guys in 2016 and 2 in 2017......it didn't help us get to,the promised land.

I'll take 6'8 or 6'9 strong and mobile over 6'11 slow and  unathletic. If we can get a couple of 6'10 guys who can do it all bring them on.......but we have Theo......we have Eke......that's a nice foundation.

I think Wojo has shown by his recruiting the last 2 years that he has no desire to be be the smallest team in the Big East going forward......but roster balance when it comes to size is more important then having a 6'10 center instead of a 6'9 center.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14411 on: August 15, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »
Please do the research before you point the finger. The two articles are very clear on these points. The father Al Days confirms that MU and Wisconsin were both early in the process

Marquette and Wisconsin came right after each other,” Al Days said. “But since then, it’s kind of gotten cloudy because now you’ve got a lot of interest.

As for Gainey and Carrawell. Marquette Wire story reports :

Did Marquette call you on the first day?
Yes, Coach (Chris) Carrawell did.

Has Carrawell taken over your recruitment since Justin Gainey joined Santa Clara’s staff?
Yeah, he’s taking over that spot for me.

Has the dynamic changed now that Carrawell is recruiting you instead of Gainey?
Nothing really changed because I had a good relationship with him too before. I had a good relationship with most of the coaches on that staff. It was a seamless change. It wasn’t like a new pop-up coach that I’ve never met before. I knew him before that too.

Either Nobal misspoke, Marquette committed a major recruiting violation, or Nobal made enough visits to campus for Gainey to be considered the lead recruiter. DoBOs are not allowed to recruit off campus but they can "recruit" during campus visits.

Gainey might have talked to Nobal a lot during campus visits but Carrawell would have been the "lead recruiter."

And since we are talking about research....Marquette has not been mentioned with Nobal for over a year as far as I can tell. Lots of articles mentioning that Nobal has a Marquette offer, but no mentions of staff contacting him or going to any of his games. Same with the Badgers. Nobal will make some ivy league team very happy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14412 on: August 15, 2018, 11:01:01 PM »
Seriously. Gainey better not have been lead recruiter on anyone.
Why are you all even paying attention to Cain?
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14413 on: August 15, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
Against most teams these type of players are fine. However, we will see how you feel after we try to stop Kansas's bigman. When I look at height, I am looking towards the NCAA tournament where you will eventually run into big centers.
The coaching staff is loading up on as many quality bigs  as they can recruit.  We have Heldt 6-10,240 Theo 6-9 240. Ike 6-9 225, great build and a pogo stick. Joey Hauser 6-9 230. 

We are looking at lots of good size recruits.

Recruiting quality 7 footers is much easier said than done. We were fortunate that circumstances allowed us to recruit Henry and Luke in recent years .

As for Kansas, Seton Hall took them down to the wire in the tournament, in fact Angel Del Gago had a monster game against their big. Where Seton Hall lost was not being able to contain the Kansas guards. 

Size is important but in today's environment so is length and quickness.  That is where guys like Elliott and Cain earn their keep.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14414 on: August 15, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
Either Nobal misspoke, Marquette committed a major recruiting violation, or Nobal made enough visits to campus for Gainey to be considered the lead recruiter. DoBOs are not allowed to recruit off campus but they can "recruit" during campus visits.

Gainey might have talked to Nobal a lot during campus visits but Carrawell would have been the "lead recruiter."

And since we are talking about research....Marquette has not been mentioned with Nobal for over a year as far as I can tell. Lots of articles mentioning that Nobal has a Marquette offer, but no mentions of staff contacting him or going to any of his games. Same with the Badgers. Nobal will make some ivy league team very happy.
Most likely the last of your scenarios.

Yes, I agree MU has not been in hot pursuit of Nobal. Classic case of a kids stock falling as he met up with opponents the same size.

If Nobal gets an Ivy offer he should take it and run.
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14415 on: August 16, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
Yes, I agree MU has not been in hot pursuit of Nobal. Classic case of a kids stock falling as he met up with opponents the same size.

I don’t think that’s the case here. It’s that his upside potential hasn’t been realized & progression has been very slow, especially on offense.

In 15u I commented that teammate Marcus Domask was the better player at that point and Nobal had a “long ways to go”.

It’s not a situation you sometimes see where a kid is dominant bc of his size at a young age. It’s a situation where there where physical tools and a reasonable path to become a very good player were there, but hasn’t been realized.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14416 on: August 16, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
Mannion visiting for Madness.......I guess the game day thing changed?

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/08/16/nico-mannion-sets-three-official-visits-talks-recruiting-timeline/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14417 on: August 16, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
Mannion visiting for Madness.......I guess the game day thing changed?

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/08/16/nico-mannion-sets-three-official-visits-talks-recruiting-timeline/

Let’s hope he makes only one visit.

Need to get the Al rocking. Bring in the LaCrosse bros. Anybody have any contacts with them?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14418 on: August 16, 2018, 08:55:23 PM »
Let’s hope he makes only one visit.

Need to get the Al rocking. Bring in the LaCrosse bros. Anybody have any contacts with them?

You mean like Wojo?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14419 on: August 16, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »
need someone not employed (or volunteering for) mu to make those "picture heads" on popsicle sticks of mannion's face and put them on every seat in the al for mu madness.  need the lacrosse guys to get chants of "we want nico" or "we want mannion" or simply "nico mannion" going.

wojo needs to get thurl in town for this and have him sitting right next to pace and mrs. mannion.

this would be the biggest recruit in mu history.  out of state 5 star going into a season where he could be the final piece to a final four puzzle in the one position that will have a starting spot opening (i suppose matt could be starting and his spot would open up, but i expect ed/joey/theo to play more minutes than matt, some of them being at the 5 for each of them).

dont like that hes visiting for mu madness.  i think its more fun for little kids than it is for a high school kid.  just gets too long and drawn out with all the introductions, no defense scrimmages, competitions, etc.  id rather have the recruit come in for a game where theres more real excitement, get to see game prep, get to spend time with the players, etc.

but if we can turn this night into a focus on mannion maybe it can make a big enough impression.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14420 on: August 16, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
need someone not employed (or volunteering for) mu to make those "picture heads" on popsicle sticks of mannion's face and put them on every seat in the al for mu madness.  need the lacrosse guys to get chants of "we want nico" or "we want mannion" or simply "nico mannion" going.

wojo needs to get thurl in town for this and have him sitting right next to pace and mrs. mannion.

this would be the biggest recruit in mu history.  out of state 5 star going into a season where he could be the final piece to a final four puzzle in the one position that will have a starting spot opening (i suppose matt could be starting and his spot would open up, but i expect ed/joey/theo to play more minutes than matt, some of them being at the 5 for each of them).

dont like that hes visiting for mu madness.  i think its more fun for little kids than it is for a high school kid.  just gets too long and drawn out with all the introductions, no defense scrimmages, competitions, etc.  id rather have the recruit come in for a game where theres more real excitement, get to see game prep, get to spend time with the players, etc.

but if we can turn this night into a focus on mannion maybe it can make a big enough impression.

::)

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14421 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:41 PM »
::)

who would be bigger?

hank was an in state kid coming into a team that missed all post season play.

wade was a lower end top 100 ineligible player.

markus was a top 60 out of state kid coming to an nit team.

vander an in state lower ranked player.

doc? not sure who the highest ranked recruits were in the al era coming in. but nico could take us from a long shot national title chance to a very legitimate national title chance.

could open the floodgates for more non-wi big time recruits to come in especially if the team has big success.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14422 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
Mu basket ball apparently started in or around the year 2000 AD
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #14423 on: August 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
Mu basket ball apparently started in or around the year 2000 AD

ill repeat the question.

who was a bigger recruit?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14424 on: August 16, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
who would be bigger?

hank was an in state kid coming into a team that missed all post season play.

wade was a lower end top 100 ineligible player.

markus was a top 60 out of state kid coming to an nit team.

vander an in state lower ranked player.

doc? not sure who the highest ranked recruits were in the al era coming in. but nico could take us from a long shot national title chance to a very legitimate national title chance.

could open the floodgates for more non-wi big time recruits to come in especially if the team has big success.

Easy there big fella....legitimate National title contender?

Let's see them play a few games this season before we start the hype machine......

We have had lots of great recruits in our history.......Memminger.....Lee.....Chones.....Lucas.....Bo....Doc.

It would be great to get him........they will do all they can......just like they did with Grimes last season.

Don't get your hopes up because it probably isn't happening......but hey at least he is visiting.

feedback