Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8417373 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21425 on: October 17, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
Interesting tweet from Jeff Goodman this morning.

"I'm no recruiting expert, but all the signs seem to be leaning towards Devin Askew committing to Kentucky.  Then the big question becomes whether Cade Cunningham speculation to UK was just noise.  Would be hard to imagine Cade and Askew both in Lexington."

Domino effect would lend that if Askew commits to UK, Cunningham would be less inclined to head there as well.
Could lead to him more heavily considering UNC, which in turn would make them tell RJ to hold off on committing (if he truly wanted to go there) until Cunningham decides.  At that point it's beyond clear you're their 4th/5th option at PG and then Marquette would seem all that more appealing.

Lotta stretches in there, the optimism that was shared with me in regards to RJ hasn't waned, but just an interesting wrinkle in the PG market for 2020.

And if Cunningham goes to Oklahoma State, then Thompson more likely to go to UNC, then Davis....

Lot's of good vibes after Davis' visit to MU, since the UNC visit no rumors that are good for us - not feeling so good about Davis, right now.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21426 on: October 17, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Some info...this is take it FWIW and even the poster himself thought it was strange but a poster at inside Carolina is saying RJ has eliminated MU and is down to PITT and UNC. I do know Pitt was in to see him today with full staff.

I should clarify, the poster said that was the word out of Pittsburgh

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21427 on: October 17, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
Some info...this is take it FWIW and even the poster himself thought it was strange but a poster at inside Carolina is saying RJ has eliminated MU and is down to PITT and UNC. I do know Pitt was in to see him today with full staff.

Could be. Though my guess is that fans at MU, Pitt, and Georgetown all think it's down to their school and UNC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21428 on: October 17, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
Could be. Though my guess is that fans at MU, Pitt, and Georgetown all think it's down to their school and UNC.
This. Nobody knows anything. Everyone making their best guess.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #21429 on: October 17, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »

Thanks for providing the info but lets be honest, this hearsay from a random internet poster means just about nothing.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #21430 on: October 17, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
I have whiplash from the mood swings on this board.

I try not to get too invested in any recruit before they commit to Marquette. Would love to see RJ on the team, but if he chooses to go elsewhere, that’s his decision to make. The table is so well set for him here that he would have to be a 17 year old kid whose brain has not yet matured to turn us down.  Oh, wait....
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21431 on: October 17, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »
Next man up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21432 on: October 17, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21433 on: October 17, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »
The old folks counting their victories.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21434 on: October 17, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Thanks for providing the info but lets be honest, this hearsay from a random internet poster means just about nothing.

100% totally agree .  Davis very well may have eliminated MU but im virtually certain no one apart from his parents and possibly the coaches knows this. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21435 on: October 17, 2019, 07:24:09 PM »
One odd quote in his Tarheel article:

"One thing Coach Williams said is he doesn't shy players away from talking and hanging with recruits. He wants us to get to know them better. I was able to do that this weekend and they were nice and genuine and welcoming."

Kind of reads as Williams suggesting another coach/es recruiting him would shy players away from talking to him and hanging out.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21436 on: October 17, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »

If you think this "old folk" will be counting or celebrating a victory if RJ goes elsewhere you are dead wrong. I'll be as disappointed as anyone this side of Wojo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21437 on: October 17, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »

C'mon man, know won heer iz old, Fo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #21438 on: October 17, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »

"One thing Coach Williams said is he doesn't shy players away from talking and hanging with recruits. He wants us to get to know them better. I was able to do that this weekend and they were nice and genuine and welcoming."

Kind of reads as Williams suggesting another coach/es recruiting him would shy players away from talking to him and hanging out.

Or maybe that’s been his  personal experience at other places he’s visited?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21439 on: October 17, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »

To me it just reads as if Williams is doing something that happens at other schools but acting like it's some sort of original idea...   lol

I guarantee you that he hung out with Marquette and Pitt players on his official visits.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21440 on: October 17, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »
To me it just reads as if Williams is doing something that happens at other schools but acting like it's some sort of original idea...   lol

I guarantee you that he hung out with Marquette and Pitt players on his official visits.

Were you on the visits with him?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #21441 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:22 PM »
wth is plan B if we don't land him? Torrence, Koby play pg next year? Do you grab some random 3*?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21442 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
Were you on the visits with him?

Don't be an idiot.......if you are trying to land a player and he goes on an official visit when school is In Session he spends time with the players on the team....   this isn't breaking news. It's not a Closely guarded secret.....        :-\

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21443 on: October 17, 2019, 10:58:36 PM »
wth is plan B if we don't land him? Torrence, Koby play pg next year? Do you grab some random 3*?

Yes. Torrence still ranked above him for 2020. Then get Hunter for 2021 or Mane for 2020.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21444 on: October 17, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »

Just my experience but many Pitt fans believe they are the equivalent of Harvard in the classroom, Notre Dame on the football field and North Carolina on the basketball court, so I would take any opinion from a Pitt poster with a HUGE grain of salt. (I'm sure it is appalling to Pitt fans that a recruit is considering MU and Georgetown from the lowly Big East)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21445 on: October 17, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »
?

Can I ask why do you think the "old guard" is happy when the current bball program/coach fail?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21446 on: October 17, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »
?
Can I ask why do you think the "old guard" is happy when the current bball program/coach fail?

Because the moment someone shares what might be negative news on the recruiting trail they are very anxiously posting about it.  Seems to be more condescending glee in their getting that news than disappointment.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21447 on: October 17, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »
Because the moment someone shares what might be negative news on the recruiting trail they are very anxiously posting about it.  Seems to be more condescending glee in their getting that news than disappointment.

Deep breaths, deep breaths
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21448 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
?

Pretty sure most are not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21449 on: October 18, 2019, 07:27:45 AM »

As with most generalizations, this leads to flawed thinking. But yes, there is at least one frequent Scoop poster who seems to enjoy Wojo missing on recruits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback