[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8458130 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21475 on: October 18, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21476 on: October 18, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »

Many have stated they want Wojo to do just good enough that another school takes him which is the new variant so they can say I don’t want MU to lose but I don’t want Wojo success either.

Many??? The only poster I recall suggesting this is Herman.

The spectrum of opinions on whether Wojo is the right guy ranges from 0 - 100. I've listened to all of them. More importantly, I've watched Wojo closely as the face of our program for 5+ years. I've been encouraged at times, despondent at others. Today, on that scale of 0-100, I'm probably a 40. IOW, I think the evidence is that it's more likely that Wojo's not the guy. You, Wades and others can draw a crooked line and conclude that my doubts are equivalent to rooting against the guy. It's preposterous, of course, but if it gives you that "I'm a better MU fan than you" feeling that you crave - go for it.

For any fair person, opinions on this are fluid. If Wojo lands Garcia and RJ, 2020 is a top 10 recruiting class and I'm a 60. If we win the Big East this year and make the second weekend of the tournament I'm even higher.

Nobody on Scoop wants anything but success for MU.Those who are down on or doubtful of Wojo would like nothing better than to admit they're wrong at a national championship celebration. But being a fan doesn't mean being a slurper who shuns objectivity.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21477 on: October 18, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »
Oso and Lewis are both better than Sibley.

Hope you are right, have you seen any of these players play?  I have seen Sibley, will make judgement when I see the other two.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21478 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:02 AM »
Hope you are right, have you seen any of these players play?  I have seen Sibley, will make judgement when I see the other two.

Lewis has been a USA basketball camp player for 4 years. I do not think Sibley has been invited. I would trust people who's job it is to identify that talent.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21479 on: October 18, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Lewis has been a USA basketball camp player for 4 years. I do not think Sibley has been invited. I would trust people who's job it is to identify that talent.

Whose vs. who’s
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21480 on: October 18, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »
Whose vs. who’s

thanks. Autocorrect on a phone is the worst.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21481 on: October 18, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »

The spectrum of opinions on whether Wojo is the right guy ranges from 0 - 100. I've listened to all of them. More importantly, I've watched Wojo closely as the face of our program for 5+ years. I've been encouraged at times, despondent at others. Today, on that scale of 0-100, I'm probably a 40. IOW, I think the evidence is that it's more likely that Wojo's not the guy. You, Wades and others can draw a crooked line and conclude that my doubts are equivalent to rooting against the guy. It's preposterous, of course, but if it gives you that "I'm a better MU fan than you" feeling that you crave - go for it.

For any fair person, opinions on this are fluid. If Wojo lands Garcia and RJ, 2020 is a top 10 recruiting class and I'm a 60. If we win the Big East this year and make the second weekend of the tournament I'm even higher.

Nobody on Scoop wants anything but success for MU.Those who are down on or doubtful of Wojo would like nothing better than to admit they're wrong at a national championship celebration. But being a fan doesn't mean being a slurper who shuns objectivity.

What do you mean “if Wojo lands Dawson and RJ?” RJ gowne, hey? I mean, that’s what you posted the very second it was shared someone crystal balled him to UNC.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21482 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »

I've watched some full games of Lewis on YouTube and have seen Sibley on TV.  Sibley is a passive, finesse player with raw skills.   Lewis is an aggressive, physical player albeit with also raw skills.  Lewis translates more easily to the college game,  imo.

My viewing of Oso is more limited but his ball handling and passing skills are much more advanced than anything I have seen out of Sibley.  Oso also has a better frame to add muscle.  Sibley has a very slender frame, comparable to Jamal Cain.  Not sure Sibley can add enough weight to be a power player.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #21483 on: October 18, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »
I won’t tie it to demographics but there is an element that doesn’t like Wojo. Never have and never will. They have tried in every way to blame him for everything and have stated he isn’t the right guy for the job because he can’t recruit, kids hate playing for him, can’t teach defense or offense, can’t make adjustments, etc. Each of these have been broken down and each year under Wojo the team and talent has gotten better. If Wojo starts to really get the recruits then the element will have to admit he might be the right guy though the will probably credit Stan. If Wojo is the right guy then it will prove this element doesn’t know what they are talking about. Instead of truly hoping Wojo succeeds and admitting they were wrong they are looking for reasons to grasp they were right which to them is more important than winning under Wojo.

Many have stated they want Wojo to do just good enough that another school takes him which is the new variant so they can say I don’t want MU to lose but I don’t want Wojo success either.

If Wojo misses on a recruit then it gives this element the opportunity to say “I am right.”  Makes them feel good about themselves.

Very good summary.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21484 on: October 18, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »

Totally agree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21485 on: October 18, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
There's not a single poster here (other than guests from other teams) who want to see wojo fail.

It is also true that some would get a little grim comfort out of seeing Wojo fail because it means they were right. But none would choose that over seeing Wojo succeed.

So how about that recruiting class? Any word on a Davis Dawson double declaration?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21486 on: October 18, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
Mark flipped his prediction for Davis to UNC, so that's not ideal.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21487 on: October 18, 2019, 11:20:59 AM »
Mark flipped his prediction for Davis to UNC, so that's not ideal.

That's concerning.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21488 on: October 18, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »
That's concerning.

Nope, that's ballgame.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21489 on: October 18, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
That's concerning.

Yeah I'd give it 0.1% chance now, damn

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #21490 on: October 18, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
Mark always has great intel. If he's flipped his prediction than this is all but over. on to Garcia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21491 on: October 18, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »
So we got mane JFB and Garcia left on the board?

Tough to recruit against UNC. 99/100 we lose
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #21492 on: October 18, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
On to the next one.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21493 on: October 18, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
Mark always has great intel. If he's flipped his prediction than this is all but over. on to Garcia.

Why was there a different pick made if it’s “always”?

#MarketingTool
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #21494 on: October 18, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
Ugh

Boone

• All American
« Reply #21495 on: October 18, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
Silly prediction process that allows one to flip as many times as necessary to maintain a high (but misleading) predictor rate

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21496 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
Silly prediction process that allows one to flip as many times as necessary to maintain a high (but misleading) predictor rate
Very true. Just click bait. No different than silly 'Power Rankings'. Although I have to admit to a perverse pleasure in people who get upset with power rankings in any sport. It's fun to see people get unhinged about something that means absolutely nothing.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #21497 on: October 18, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Why was there a different pick made if it’s “always”?

#MarketingTool

At the time Mark made his first pick, I would assume Davis was a heavy Marquette lean.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21498 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
He gowne
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21499 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
I won’t tie it to demographics but there is an element that doesn’t like Wojo. Never have and never will. They have tried in every way to blame him for everything and have stated he isn’t the right guy for the job because he can’t recruit, kids hate playing for him, can’t teach defense or offense, can’t make adjustments, etc. Each of these have been broken down and each year under Wojo the team and talent has gotten better. If Wojo starts to really get the recruits then the element will have to admit he might be the right guy though the will probably credit Stan. If Wojo is the right guy then it will prove this element doesn’t know what they are talking about. Instead of truly hoping Wojo succeeds and admitting they were wrong they are looking for reasons to grasp they were right which to them is more important than winning under Wojo.

If Wojo misses on a recruit then it gives this element the opportunity to say “I am right.”  Makes them feel good about themselves.

What a bunch of BS.  Wojo has done an excellent recruiting job. Love how he could tries to land top talent.  We have a very talented roster.  He needs to coach them to win.  This is the key.