[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8455978 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21400 on: October 17, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Not sure he did it formally but it has been out there for a week or 2 that he was down to 4.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21401 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
Who else is in the final four?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21402 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »
I don't have Rivals access but this implies that Garcia will be visiting MU before making his decision.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/top-35-senior-dawson-garcia-talks-final-four-schools

Interesting. Hopefully someone with access can summarize. Dawson is still the #1 prospect I want for this class. 1B is obviously Davis.

So it seems it is Marquette, IU, Memphis, Minny.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21403 on: October 17, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Who else is in the final four?

Memphis, IU, MU, Minnesota...none real shocking
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21404 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
What I will say though, I doubt Davis has made his decision yet. If I had to guess, he's deciding between the "safe" route at Marquette and the "risky" route at North Carolina. Marquette has an All American on it's roster who is graduating whose size and game look awfully similar to Davis'. There is a Davis size hole on our roster next season and we've shown that a player like him will get highlighted. At North Carolina, he's already their second PG in the 2020 recruiting class. UNC will always bring 5 and high 4 stars in every year, and there is already 2 former 4-star PGs on their roster who will be sophomores when he arrives. He will be competing for Final Fours every season but he may be doing it from the bench as an underclassmen. Or he might prove the rankings wrong and play big minutes right away, I personally think he could.

I'll be honest, this thought process doesn't give me much comfort. My experience with working with high school and college age men is that they will usually choose to bet on themselves. They haven't had enough failures in their life yet to make them want to take the safe route.

There is a lot of thought on the UNC boards, that Davis may want to wait until after Bryce Thompson decides(he's taking his last visit to Oklahoma this weekend), and if BT commits to Carolina, RJ may not want to, if he doesn't, then he may. I think another thing we need to watch for, and I realize they play different positions, but Kerwin Walton is visiting UNC soon..If he commits, that may help MU as well
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:49:27 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21405 on: October 17, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
Marquette has an All American on it's roster who is graduating whose size and game look awfully similar to Davis'. There is a Davis size hole on our roster next season and we've shown that a player like him will get highlighted.

I imagine the staff focused on this, but it's also a Davis sized hole that started all 4 years. Howard played 22 mpg & led the team in scoring as a freshman before scoring more points in a season as both a sophomore & junior than anyone who came before him. This staff will go to freshmen early.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21406 on: October 17, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
I imagine the staff focused on this, but it's also a Davis sized hole that started all 4 years. Howard played 22 mpg & led the team in scoring as a freshman before scoring more points in a season as both a sophomore & junior than anyone who came before him. This staff will go to freshmen early.

I thought he came off the bench mostly in 2017?
Maigh Eo for Sam

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #21407 on: October 17, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »
These were the ones I could think of. There are at least a few that are at 9 years this season, some which are really surprising given their record like Pat Chambers

Syracuse: Jim Beoheim (41st)
Michigan State: Tom Izzo (25th)
Notre Dame: Mike Brey (20th)
Villanova: Jay Wright (19th)
Florida State: Leonard Hamilton (18th)
Baylor: Scott Drew (16th)
Purdue: Matt Painter (15th)
West Virginia: Bob  Huggins (13th)
Arizona: Sean Miller (11th)
Virginia: Tony Bennett (11th)
Clemson: Brad Brownwell (10th)
Colorado: Tad Boyle (10th)
Creighton: Greg McDermott (10th)
Iowa: Fran McCaffery (10th)
Oregon: Dana Altman (10th)

I have 21 coaches who have been at a High Major for 10+ years, including one Kevin Willard ( :o :-X).

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #21408 on: October 17, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
muguru, is Wojo and the staff thinking mediocre by recruiting Davis and Garcia?  If they don't land them, are you going to rail on Wojo?

I love Marquette basketball and can see the positives of the program.  I can also be a realist. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #21409 on: October 17, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
Did Dawson cut his list down again?  Last I saw it was at 7 and then he eliminated UNC.

Garcia gave his final 7 about one month ago.

I think it was a little over a week ago when Rivals noted that he was down to 4.  Dropping Arizona, Kansas and Carolina from the original 7. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21410 on: October 17, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »

According to KenPom, Markus started 27 games as a freshman.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21411 on: October 17, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
muguru, is Wojo and the staff thinking mediocre by recruiting Davis and Garcia?  If they don't land them, are you going to rail on Wojo?

I love Marquette basketball and can see the positives of the program.  I can also be a realist.

No, and I have said repeatedly, I like the start to this class...BUT, you know as well as I do, it's not how you start it's how you finish. You gotta finish this class strong, not only because of the importance of this class, but because if they want to take the next step, or go to the next level as a program, if they finish with Davis and Garcia...THEN I will feel like the MU program has turned a corner(again). That being said, asking for both is a huge ask(I hope it happens), but I do think one of the two is a must, and if I could only have one right now give me Garcia. I think they could find a guard in the transfer market if necessary, or...Mane would also be a very nice piece.

Oddly enough, though there's no guarantees, for some reason if both were committing today, I'd feel better about Garcia saying yes than Davis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21412 on: October 17, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
What I will say though, I doubt Davis has made his decision yet. If I had to guess, he's deciding between the "safe" route at Marquette and the "risky" route at North Carolina. Marquette has an All American on it's roster who is graduating whose size and game look awfully similar to Davis'. There is a Davis size hole on our roster next season and we've shown that a player like him will get highlighted. At North Carolina, he's already their second PG in the 2020 recruiting class. UNC will always bring 5 and high 4 stars in every year, and there is already 2 former 4-star PGs on their roster who will be sophomores when he arrives. He will be competing for Final Fours every season but he may be doing it from the bench as an underclassmen. Or he might prove the rankings wrong and play big minutes right away, I personally think he could.

I'll be honest, this thought process doesn't give me much comfort. My experience with working with high school and college age men is that they will usually choose to bet on themselves. They haven't had enough failures in their life yet to make them want to take the safe route.

This is an outstanding, common-sense take, TAMU. Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #21413 on: October 17, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
Interesting tweet from Jeff Goodman this morning.

"I'm no recruiting expert, but all the signs seem to be leaning towards Devin Askew committing to Kentucky.  Then the big question becomes whether Cade Cunningham speculation to UK was just noise.  Would be hard to imagine Cade and Askew both in Lexington."

Domino effect would lend that if Askew commits to UK, Cunningham would be less inclined to head there as well.
Could lead to him more heavily considering UNC, which in turn would make them tell RJ to hold off on committing (if he truly wanted to go there) until Cunningham decides.  At that point it's beyond clear you're their 4th/5th option at PG and then Marquette would seem all that more appealing.

Lotta stretches in there, the optimism that was shared with me in regards to RJ hasn't waned, but just an interesting wrinkle in the PG market for 2020.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21414 on: October 17, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »

He began the season coming off the bench, but quickly established himself as a starter. Howard started 27 of the 31 games he appeared in that year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #21415 on: October 17, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
4 Star Center Gethro Muscadin committed to kansas

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21416 on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
4 Star Center Gethro Muscadin committed to kansas

Looks like Marquette was never involved.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21417 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
Looks like Marquette was never involved.

I'm not sure he was alluding to Marquette's involvement. It could affect the decision of Javonte Brown-Ferguson.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21418 on: October 17, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
I'm not sure he was alluding to Marquette's involvement. It could affect the decision of Javonte Brown-Ferguson.

Power Forward Isaiah Todd will be deciding tonight between Michigan and Kansas. If he picks KU, no Brown-Ferguson for KU. If he picks Michigan, Brown-Ferguson still possibly in play for KU. They are recruiting two bigs and they were upfront with Brown-Ferguson saying if the other two commit first...

Brown-Ferguson recently visited Texas A&M last month and is visiting UConn this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:02:07 PM by shoothoops »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #21419 on: October 17, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
was referring to JBF, could affect his decision

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21420 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »
I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping he'd commit to Minnesota, he visited there. Oh well.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21421 on: October 17, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Some info...this is take it FWIW and even the poster himself thought it was strange but a poster at inside Carolina is saying RJ has eliminated MU and is down to PITT and UNC. I do know Pitt was in to see him today with full staff.

I should clarify, the poster said that was the word out of Pittsburgh
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:46:49 PM by muguru »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21422 on: October 17, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
Some info...this is take it FWIW and even the poster himself thought it was strange but a poster at inside Carolina is saying RJ has eliminated MU and is down to PITT and UNC. I do know Pitt was in to see him today with full staff.

FML

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21423 on: October 17, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping he'd commit to Minnesota, he visited there. Oh well.

Gethro Muscadin?

Javonte Brown-Ferguson?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21424 on: October 17, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
Gethro Muscadin?

Javonte Brown-Ferguson?

Gethro