[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:08:05 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8429920 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21350 on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »

This made me laugh.  Out loud.  Such a perfect analogy on many levels.

Free beer at the Purdue game to whomever posts this on his website first!

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21351 on: October 16, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
Yeah, they get recruited over, but year in and year out, they keep getting high ranked recruits. We should be in the same boat, with our budget, history, resources, etc. But alas, we are not.
Marquette signs top level players when there is absolute path to playing time and they identify a player early enough to build relationship. I would say that most of the other non blue blood programs of similar stature have the same recruiting record with regard to the cant miss prospects. Overall, I would say Marquette does a very good job  compared to its peers , which is why the program is a consistent winner.

Blue Bloods by their nature, can select the players they want every year, the only real competition they have is the other Blue Bloods and the home state school of the player. 

If you read the comments of non blue blood  recruits over the years , they cite how the team they signed with had made a huge commitment of time and resources showing up 4 deep etc

Carolina or Duke can get by  sending  Hubert Davis or Jon Scheyer to keep the fires warm with a recruit and their family until Roy or K decides it is worth their time to put the hard sell on any individual recruit.  The Marquette's of the college basketball world are pinned down, not because of lack of resources or tradition, but rather they have to put every last ounce of what they have to sign their recruits. 

UNC Grad MU Fan

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21352 on: October 16, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

This made me laugh.  Out loud.  Such a perfect analogy on many levels.

Tyty

I will be here all week
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21353 on: October 16, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
Marquette signs top level players when there is absolute path to playing time and they identify a player early enough to build relationship. I would say that most of the other non blue blood programs of similar stature have the same recruiting record with regard to the cant miss prospects. Overall, I would say Marquette does a very good job  compared to its peers , which is why the program is a consistent winner.

Blue Bloods by their nature, can select the players they want every year, the only real competition they have is the other Blue Bloods and the home state school of the player. 

If you read the comments of non blue blood  recruits over the years , they cite how the team they signed with had made a huge commitment of time and resources showing up 4 deep etc

Carolina or Duke can get by  sending  Hubert Davis or Jon Scheyer to keep the fires warm with a recruit and their family until Roy or K decides it is worth their time to put the hard sell on any individual recruit.  The Marquette's of the college basketball world are pinned down, not because of lack of resources or tradition, but rather they have to put every last ounce of what they have to sign their recruits.

Spot on.  This can be over come tho.  See Villanova, MU in the 70’s. 
Another reason MU’s meltdown was so painful last year.  A Big East championship n a W or two in the NCAA makes recruiting significantly easier.  But some wish the Hauser’s well, i scratch my head on that one.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21354 on: October 16, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »

Disclosure: I still think we are very much in the running for RJ. The UNC visit is a big body blow as they can really put on a show, but definitely feel we are in good standing and the train hasn't left the station.

That said, I agree with a lot of the above. Wojo and his staff have done an amazing job of finding unique talents far before they are the "talent du jour" when all the blue bloods get in. Lots of recruits that weren't on the radar that end up becoming top 100 kids (or play like them, such as a Sacar Anim). No team hits on 100% of their recruits, but blue bloods do have a slightly easier path due to the nature of a long established history that involves a ton of Final Fours, a few Nattys and a stable of NBA players.

This isn't something that happens overnight. Hell, it's something that doesn't always happen in a decade. That said, the ability to find that sort of talent early and hit on it on a reasonably frequent basis can go a long way to building that. This class has 2 very, very solid players so far. Justin Lewis was getting good reviews at USA Basketball and Oso is a great late riser.

Still have irons in the fire for Karim Mane (who I personally think is going to be a better prospect than RJ), Dawson Garcia (who from all accounts likes us a lot), Javonte Brown-Ferguson (another guy we got in on early once reclass info came out), and RJ. We have a top level 2020 PG already on the roster from a reclassification to 2019. All is not lost when we don't get one kid (just like all wasn't lost when we didn't get Nico Mannion or Quentin Grimes).

This is all a long game and we're all staring at short term gains. Let it breathe a bit before jumping to conclusions.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #21355 on: October 16, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »
If RJ Davis wants to have a "real college experience" he may want to consider Markus Howard's college experience over what Cole Anthony's is likely to be.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21356 on: October 16, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
Recruiting the best prospects means going up against the best programs. We're not going to win every one. But Wojo has landed his share -- including beating out Arizona for Markus, Brendan and Oso. We're still in a good position for RJ and Dawson. Let's see what happens. No need for angst before they've announced anything.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21357 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
Dodd's believes osa can play the 5

Hoo da hell is Dodds, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21358 on: October 16, 2019, 12:28:18 PM »
Disclosure: I still think we are very much in the running for RJ. The UNC visit is a big body blow as they can really put on a show, but definitely feel we are in good standing and the train hasn't left the station.

That said, I agree with a lot of the above. Wojo and his staff have done an amazing job of finding unique talents far before they are the "talent du jour" when all the blue bloods get in. Lots of recruits that weren't on the radar that end up becoming top 100 kids (or play like them, such as a Sacar Anim). No team hits on 100% of their recruits, but blue bloods do have a slightly easier path due to the nature of a long established history that involves a ton of Final Fours, a few Nattys and a stable of NBA players.

This isn't something that happens overnight. Hell, it's something that doesn't always happen in a decade. That said, the ability to find that sort of talent early and hit on it on a reasonably frequent basis can go a long way to building that. This class has 2 very, very solid players so far. Justin Lewis was getting good reviews at USA Basketball and Oso is a great late riser.

Still have irons in the fire for Karim Mane (who I personally think is going to be a better prospect than RJ), Dawson Garcia (who from all accounts likes us a lot), Javonte Brown-Ferguson (another guy we got in on early once reclass info came out), and RJ. We have a top level 2020 PG already on the roster from a reclassification to 2019. All is not lost when we don't get one kid (just like all wasn't lost when we didn't get Nico Mannion or Quentin Grimes).

This is all a long game and we're all staring at short term gains. Let it breathe a bit before jumping to conclusions.
A "long game"? Wojo is in his 6th year!!!! Guess he needs another 15 for his "long game" to come to fruition. After all, Coach K needed several decades to get the long game going.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21359 on: October 16, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
A "long game"? Wojo is in his 6th year!!!! Guess he needs another 15 for his "long game" to come to fruition. After all, Coach K needed several decades to get the long game going.

I actually do think if he's still here in his 15th year we'll start to rack up consistent deep runs and "selecting" when it comes to recruiting (I would say the same for almost any coach that was with us for 15 years)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #21360 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
Geez, now you're PRE-complaining?  Before anything has even happened?

I'd say you are a glass half empty guy, but I don't think you see any water at all.

Nah, just looking for the Rainy days.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21361 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »

Not just talking about Wojo. A decade of sustained success makes recruiting easier, regardless of coach. We don't have that right now. Comparing us to UNC is comparing apples to oranges at this moment.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21362 on: October 16, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Not just talking about Wojo. A decade of sustained success makes recruiting easier, regardless of coach. We don't have that right now. Comparing us to UNC is comparing apples to oranges at this moment.
Not addressing Wojo here, but how many high major head coaches have been at their current schools more than a decade outside of the blueboods?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #21363 on: October 16, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »

Thanks for your valid condescension.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21364 on: October 16, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Nah, just looking for the Rainy days.

I much preferred Wainy Days.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21365 on: October 16, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
Not addressing Wojo here, but how many high major head coaches have been at their current schools more than a decade outside of the blueboods?

These were the ones I could think of. There are at least a few that are at 9 years this season, some which are really surprising given their record like Pat Chambers

Syracuse: Jim Beoheim (41st)
Michigan State: Tom Izzo (25th)
Notre Dame: Mike Brey (20th)
Villanova: Jay Wright (19th)
Florida State: Leonard Hamilton (18th)
Baylor: Scott Drew (16th)
Purdue: Matt Painter (15th)
West Virginia: Bob  Huggins (13th)
Arizona: Sean Miller (11th)
Virginia: Tony Bennett (11th)
Clemson: Brad Brownwell (10th)
Colorado: Tad Boyle (10th)
Creighton: Greg McDermott (10th)
Iowa: Fran McCaffery (10th)
Oregon: Dana Altman (10th)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #21366 on: October 16, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »
These were the ones I could think of. There are at least a few that are at 9 years this season, some which are really surprising given their record like Pat Chambers

Notre Dame, Baylor, Arizona, Purdue and Clemson you say...
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #21367 on: October 16, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
If RJ Davis wants to have a "real college experience" he may want to consider Markus Howard's college experience over what Cole Anthony's is likely to be.
Agree Fact More Minutes At Marquette. Marquette is a Real College Experience. RJ should use college and not let college use him.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #21368 on: October 16, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
I much preferred Wainy Days.

You win with that one, thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MuMark

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21370 on: October 16, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »

Gonzaga isn't in a P6 conference, but I'd say they're a high major program/Few's a high major coach, so he'd be in there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21371 on: October 16, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

Michigan State for sure, and probably Syracuse, Nova and Arizona are in the "just-below-blueblood" category.

Three other coaches worth mentioning: Mark Few, who as wades noted is at another of those "just-below-blueblood" programs; Gregg Marshall at Wichita State; and Bob McKillop at Davidson. Obviously, Davidson is not "high major." Technically, Gonzaga and Wichita State aren't, either, but they have been outstanding programs for a long time, well capable of beating majors most years.

All three of them have had opportunities to move "up," but all three are content being where they are -- in great situations at fine basketball schools. Each makes plenty of $$ while facing relatively less pressure. Yes, all coaches face pressure, but I think we all can agree there is less at Wichita State, Davidson and even Gonzaga than at a blueblood.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21372 on: October 16, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
I am not concerned any losing any recruit until Big Daddy sounds the alarm. BD was radio silent for a long time and made a Will Reed like return to Scoop. The fanfare associated with the return got me fired up. So, until the Fat Lady sings or BD tells me otherwise, I am expecting good news.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21373 on: October 16, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »
Slow recruiting news days are the worst. Nothing really out there on the wire that I've been able to find. No visits. No trickle of news outside of the news of the visit to see JBF yesterday.

burger

• All American
« Reply #21374 on: October 16, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
I told you they were going to "fluff" his arse......

Hopefully playing time is important and not the Carolina B.S. about playing multiple lead guards......

I am sure when multiple forwards are in......They talk about playing some kind of Golden State no position B.S......

After Jordan......name me some Carolina guards......

Wade.....Butler......Rivers.....Markus......We stack up pretty close......

feedback