2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8781563 times)

brandx

Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1850 on: June 12, 2016, 12:32:06 AM »
No.

You're a stupid idiot.

Ask Mark.

On average, are his cristal bowel picks similarly vetted and reasoned to the same degree his rankings are?

Of course not. 

Get real, bud.

Sounds like jealousy is the problem here.

Well, that plus just being an all-around jerk.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1851 on: June 12, 2016, 04:15:48 AM »

Bailey can not count as at best he is 50/50 showing up. 

That's just talking out your ass.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: June 12, 2016, 06:04:28 AM »
Evan Daniels  10h
‏@EvanDaniels
Marquette is getting a guy in Markus Howard that can really shoot it & puts effort into defending. Having productive day at U17 trials.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1853 on: June 12, 2016, 06:19:45 AM »
That's just talking out your ass.

+100

Until someone shows evidence that 50% of all players going on a mission flip their commitment, that's unfounded nonsense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1854 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
+100

Until someone shows evidence that 50% of all players going on a mission flip their commitment, that's unfounded nonsense.
I actually think the mission is a huge benefit for the player and the program. He comes out more mature physically and mentally and still has four years of eligibility.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: June 12, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
Example of how the cristal bowel is often played:

Nick Rakocevic.. early MU interest, Chicagoland, Mac Irvin Fire.. Illinois gets picked early on. Guess why?

No one overtakes Illinois until September of his senior year. There's one official visit and it's West Virginia. Many kids have committed by this time.. the early NLI signing period isn't far away... well, one official visit, let's all switch our picks to West Virginia!

Well.. things didn't get done with West Virginia.. so now we don't know what to think. Pick someone else.. but we're just throwing out guesses here.

Finally, it's late January and when he's talking to media he keeps bringing up that he wants to get to Miami (FL) for a visit. Well, you know what to do! Switch your picks again!

Miami (FL) bolts to the top of the choices based on widely-known comments from the kid. Great. Tremendous insight by the cristal bowel. They sit on top, but it's a no go for Miami...

Then, finally, more news! Widely known by the public, he is set for an official to USC in April. Whatever shall we do, bowelers? We see Miami isn't gonna happen.. there hasn't been an official since last September.. seems like this USC official is the best bet out there. Let's change our pick yet again, this time to USC!

Most people do change the pick to USC... he visits, and commits.

Way to go! You nailed the pick!

The problem is that when so and so picked West Virginia, a bunch of people probably got excited and posted it on message boards. "oooh, he made a pick for W Va!!!!" ... then when picks were changed to Miami.. "oooh! this is super meaningful because person X made this change!"...

Without context, it's stupid as all sin to conclude the change in a pick is meaningful, especially when there's widely known public information out there that is the likely catalyst for the changed pick.

If Mark or certain other people were to tell me, "Hey, because of ___ and ___ factors, as well as something I can't disclose, I'm feeling like 80/20 that recruit A commits to school B"... that's excellent information. That has meaning.

If someone changes a cristal bowel pick, to place great meaning on it like many nimwits do is stupid.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: June 12, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »
I actually think the mission is a huge benefit for the player and the program. He comes out more mature physically and mentally and still has four years of eligibility.

I have no evidence either way what a player is thinking 2 years from now.  My concern is not Bailey coming but if Stan Johnson will be here in 2 years.  An assistant
is an vagabond looking for the next position higher.  I am sure MU pays as good as anybody at his level so his next step is head coaching, could he get a head coaching job in the next few years, it is possible.  If that is the case is Bailey is first recruit, maybe.   Time will tell.

When it comes to basketball junkies, Mark Miller, Adam Zagoria, Evan Daniels are all recruitniks and I follow them all.  Also, I must admit that 247recruiting site is great
in-site on college recruiting in the whole country, something to follow during the off season months.  A lot happens week to week like the Hall getting a guard this week to replace Whitehead, and Marcus Howard doing really well in US17 camp.  Now that is good news, and I am hoping Traci Carter sees that.  The 2 guard positions are as strong as ever, I do not think MU fans will see any guard go 3-17 like the last few years, strong as it ever has been at MU for depth.  Not the quality
of the great players in the past but never has there been 7 or 8 kids who could start.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: June 12, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »
Example of how the cristal bowel is often played:

Nick Rakocevic.. early MU interest, Chicagoland, Mac Irvin Fire.. Illinois gets picked early on. Guess why?

No one overtakes Illinois until September of his senior year. There's one official visit and it's West Virginia. Many kids have committed by this time.. the early NLI signing period isn't far away... well, one official visit, let's all switch our picks to West Virginia!

Well.. things didn't get done with West Virginia.. so now we don't know what to think. Pick someone else.. but we're just throwing out guesses here.

Finally, it's late January and when he's talking to media he keeps bringing up that he wants to get to Miami (FL) for a visit. Well, you know what to do! Switch your picks again!

Miami (FL) bolts to the top of the choices based on widely-known comments from the kid. Great. Tremendous insight by the cristal bowel. They sit on top, but it's a no go for Miami...

Then, finally, more news! Widely known by the public, he is set for an official to USC in April. Whatever shall we do, bowelers? We see Miami isn't gonna happen.. there hasn't been an official since last September.. seems like this USC official is the best bet out there. Let's change our pick yet again, this time to USC!

Most people do change the pick to USC... he visits, and commits.

Way to go! You nailed the pick!

The problem is that when so and so picked West Virginia, a bunch of people probably got excited and posted it on message boards. "oooh, he made a pick for W Va!!!!" ... then when picks were changed to Miami.. "oooh! this is super meaningful because person X made this change!"...

Without context, it's stupid as all sin to conclude the change in a pick is meaningful, especially when there's widely known public information out there that is the likely catalyst for the changed pick.

If Mark or certain other people were to tell me, "Hey, because of ___ and ___ factors, as well as something I can't disclose, I'm feeling like 80/20 that recruit A commits to school B"... that's excellent information. That has meaning.

If someone changes a cristal bowel pick, to place great meaning on it like many nimwits do is stupid.

We know.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1858 on: June 12, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
I do not kinow why some of you guys get so upset with this stuff. All I was commneting on is my belief Mark Miller is making educated picks, while some posters were saying he was just guessing. In his own response he basically said that both sides were true. Sometimes he is going with his gut and other times he has information to support his prediction. The only other thing I commented on I believe is factual. Wojo cut Wally and fully expected he had someone to fill that spot, which meant he either misjudged the situation in the first place or lost a recruit he was expected to get. I went with Young, because this started out that Miller picked Young to MU. Maybe it was the player that opted for Maryland. Either way Wojo was out recruited for both players. Now that is not necessarily a cut on Wojo, because every coach gets out recruited. No one gets every recruit they want.

What you continue to fail to realize is that Wally was going to be cut regardless of Young/Gill being interested or not. Wally brought so little value as a basketball player that just the idea of a transfer or late recruit was worth more to the team than Wally.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1859 on: June 12, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
What you continue to fail to realize is that Wally was going to be cut regardless of Young/Gill being interested or not. Wally brought so little value as a basketball player that just the idea of a transfer or late recruit was worth more to the team than Wally.
I think to be fair to Wally, he did bring something to the table for 2016-17 as a player, it was just that he was the 13th scholarship player and several players ahead of him  possessed similar skills. Wojo needed that last scholarship for a player who brought a different set of skills to the table specifically a 4.  The prior year we actually needed his skills and he delivered on what was asked of him.
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: June 12, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
I think to be fair to Wally, he did bring something to the table for 2016-17 as a player

To be fair to Wally, what he "brought to the table" was his brother Henry. Once he asked to be excused dinner was over.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: June 12, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
+100

When we signed Bailey someone posted that Bailey is only restricted to MU for one year and after that he can go any where he wants. Assuming that is true it will be easy for him to decide to go elsewhere.
I think if Wojo is here there is a very high probability that he comes to MU. I think if Wojo is not here there is no chance he comes to MU.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
When we signed Bailey someone posted that Bailey is only restricted to MU for one year and after that he can go any where he wants. Assuming that is true it will be easy for him to decide to go elsewhere.
I think if Wojo is here there is a very high probability that he comes to MU. I think if Wojo is not here there is no chance he comes to MU.

1) It's not true; but
2) It's still relatively easy for any kid to decide to go elsewhere after signing an NLI.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: June 12, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
1) It's not true; but
2) It's still relatively easy for any kid to decide to go elsewhere after signing an NLI.
umm, it is true.  Go to nationalletter.org for details.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1864 on: June 12, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

Actually, its not. From your own website:

How is the NLI declared null and void?

 Denied admission.
 Does not meet NCAA, institutional or conference eligibility requirements.
One-Year Absence.
 - Signee does not enroll (two-year or four-year institution) for at least one academic year and the scholarship (in its same amount) is no longer available. Also applies to a signee who serves in the U.S. Armed Forces or Church Mission for one year. NLI remains binding if the scholarship (in its same amount) is available.

 Discontinued Sport.
 - Sport is no longer offered, includes student-athletes who are already enrolled.
 Recruiting Rules Violation.
 - NLI may be declared null and void if the violation is substantiated and prompts the need for reinstatement by the NCAA staff. It is the prospective student-athlete’s choice to null and void the  under these circumstances.

As long as Bailey's scholarship remains available, the NLI is still binding.

But as Jay Bee said, there are lots of ways to get out of a NLI.

Bailey has as much chance of leaving before he gets here as any other recruit. This is just another smokescreen people are using to try and discredit anything good that Wojo does.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1865 on: June 12, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
Actually, its not. From your own website:

As long as Bailey's scholarship remains available, the NLI is still binding.

But as Jay Bee said, there are lots of ways to get out of a NLI.

Bailey has as much chance of leaving before he gets here as any other recruit. This is just another smokescreen people are using to try and discredit anything good that Wojo does.

I assume you are talking about my feelings towards Bailey, just putting down the facts.   Yes, it makes Wojo's class better on paper, but on paper, big deal means
nothing.  What it does mean is that if he comes with Joey Hauser, Herro and Bailey that he will have a great class for 2018.   Really sold on Hauser, not as much on
Herro but his body has 2 years to mature.  With Bailey in the fold,  Sam being at MU, Joey is a must and simple to recruit.  He will visit MU 15-20 times a year and Herro
is right here.   Maybe a 4th recruit can be had as well that is a Top 50 player.  That would be a great recruiting class plus a new arena, it could happen!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: June 12, 2016, 03:58:56 PM »

Nope, it's not true. You are wrong. Do better.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1867 on: June 12, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1868 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
To be fair to Wally, what he "brought to the table" was his brother Henry. Once he asked to be excused dinner was over.
At the time Wally was a good recruit on his own merits. We picked up an energy guy with Big Ten experience , we needed practice players and the school in general picked up an All American High jumper. We had plenty of open scholarships.  Even if there is no Henry we still would have made the deal with Wally. At the time there was no guarantee Henry was coming.

If Henry stayed , Wally would have stayed because we would not have need his scholarship for a potential new 4. Once Henry left, we recruited KR and Wally went to 13 on a depth chart with no one at 4. Pretty straightforward.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: June 12, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »
At the time Wally was a good recruit on his own merits. We picked up an energy guy with Big Ten experience , we needed practice players and the school in general picked up an All American High jumper. We had plenty of open scholarships.  Even if there is no Henry we still would have made the deal with Wally. At the time there was no guarantee Henry was coming.

If there was no Henry, there is absolutely no way Wally would have been at Marquette.  Not a chance.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: June 12, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »
Nope, it's not true. You are wrong. Do better.
Read the null and void provisions at nationalletter.org  I believe Brendan could void the NLI after serving his 2 year mission.  Right now, MU just has his word that he is coming.  In any event, nowadays I don't think a school would object if the kid changed his mind after 2 years.  That's just reality.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: June 12, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
Read the null and void provisions at nationalletter.org  I believe Brendan could void the NLI after serving his 2 year mission.  Right now, MU just has his word that he is coming.  In any event, nowadays I don't think a school would object if the kid changed his mind after 2 years.  That's just reality.

This is my understanding of the rule also.  Right now we really just have his word. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1872 on: June 12, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »

If there was no Henry, there is absolutely no way Wally would have been at Marquette.  Not a chance.
We made the deal with Wally with no assurance at all that Henry was coming and remember we had 3 open scholarships at the time. I think your under rating the lengths the school would go to get him for the high jumping. It was an excellent deal for Marquette athletics overall to bring in Wally.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1873 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »
This is my understanding of the rule also.  Right now we really just have his word.
I am confident he will honor the bargain and so will we.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: June 12, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
We made the deal with Wally with no assurance at all that Henry was coming and remember we had 3 open scholarships at the time. I think your under rating the lengths the school would go to get him for the high jumping. It was an excellent deal for Marquette athletics overall to bring in Wally.

They took him because it enhanced MU's chance to get Henry.  Period.  No one involved in the basketball program gave a sh*t about his high jumping.