collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy Juneteenth Y’all  (Read 6056 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Happy Juneteenth Y’all
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2022, 01:17:15 PM »
My wife said this was her worst year teaching in in her 22 year career.  Too many students are f'd up and the parents either don't care or were super helicoptery like never before for defending do no work kids.

And she was rewarded by testing positive for COVID-19 on the last day of school.

Interesting. My daughter had her best year after. She had her best group of kids in 15 years of teaching.  She was devastated at the end of the year by Uvalde and the shooting in Racine that her kids barely avoided. I told her to take the last week off. She said she couldn’t do it - that she wanted as much time with her kids as possible.

She is an outstanding teacher - the mayor here requested her personally for his daughter next year. His older daughter was in her class a couple years ago and he says she is the best teacher either of his kids have had.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 02:48:51 PM »
Spoken like someone who knows zero teachers.

Wrong.

Wife was a teacher, one of my daughters taught for several years before leaving for the private sector, one of my sons is the principal (and the AP English teacher) at an international school in Tokyo. My four kids all went to school and so did I. So I know (or knew) scores of teachers. A few were great, some were good, some were meh and a few were terrible. The three I lived with never complained about being overworked or underpaid but they were exceptional people.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 02:59:02 PM »
Interesting. My daughter had her best year after. She had her best group of kids in 15 years of teaching.  She was devastated at the end of the year by Uvalde and the shooting in Racine that her kids barely avoided. I told her to take the last week off. She said she couldn’t do it - that she wanted as much time with her kids as possible.

She is an outstanding teacher - the mayor here requested her personally for his daughter next year. His older daughter was in her class a couple years ago and he says she is the best teacher either of his kids have had.

Jockey,
That's awesome to hear.  Maybe teaching high school has something to do with it for my wife.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 03:05:20 PM »
Jockey,
That's awesome to hear.  Maybe teaching high school has something to do with it for my wife.

My daughter teaches Middle School. 12-13 year olds.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 03:13:18 PM »
Interesting. My daughter had her best year after. She had her best group of kids in 15 years of teaching.

Same with my daughter-in-law, a 5th-grade teacher in the Chicago burbs. After a couple difficult Covid years, she says she loved loved loved her class this year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
Wrong.

Wife was a teacher, one of my daughters taught for several years before leaving for the private sector, one of my sons is the principal (and the AP English teacher) at an international school in Tokyo. My four kids all went to school and so did I. So I know (or knew) scores of teachers. A few were great, some were good, some were meh and a few were terrible. The three I lived with never complained about being overworked or underpaid but they were exceptional people.

Fantastic goalpost shifting with that final sentence. Several of Cheeks' sock puppet accounts would approve.
Do your family members agree with your assessment of teachers' workload?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »
The WSJ had an article today on teachers quitting in droves.  Apparently 300K public school teachers left the workforce in the last two years and we're at over 40% vacancies in most places.  Shortages will likely get worse.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 06:38:18 PM »
The WSJ had an article today on teachers quitting in droves.  Apparently 300K public school teachers left the workforce in the last two years and we're at over 40% vacancies in most places.  Shortages will likely get worse.

Good for them.  They’ve been undervalued and underpaid for years.  You reap what you sow
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 06:50:17 PM »
Good for them.  They’ve been undervalued and underpaid for years.  You reap what you sow

Unexceptional people.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2022, 07:16:32 PM »

undervalued and underpaid?  wow!  what an astute observation. so if they are overvalued, do you overpay them? you sure that's why the shortage?  nothing to do with crt and the total loss of civility and discipline in the classroom?  kids running roughshod ruining everyone else educational opportunities?   feeling safe in schools? 

another zero for the zero.  too much tunnel vision and partisan bias.  need to expand your horizons reeko 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2022, 07:19:03 PM »
  undervalued and underpaid?  wow!  what an astute observation. so if they are overvalued, do you overpay them? you sure that's why the shortage?  nothing to do with crt and the total loss of civility and discipline in the classroom?  kids running roughshod ruining everyone else educational opportunities?   feeling safe in schools? 

another zero for the zero.  too much tunnel vision and partisan bias.  need to expand your horizons reeko

You might be the dumbest person I have ever interacted with
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »

If teachers start carrying guns in schools, that percentage will skyrocket.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2022, 08:07:34 PM »
You might be the dumbest person I have ever interacted with

Might be? You must interact with some crazy dumb people.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 08:18:18 PM »

Teacher shortages started to increase significantly when Act 10 was passed. It financially incentivized a lot of teachers to retire and disincentivized enrollment in teacher education programs across Wisconsin.

So the shortage has been brewing for awhile now, and it completely snowballed during Covid for a number of reasons.

If you are going to pay people less, not as many are going to enter the profession. I don’t know why it is such a mystery. Simple supply and demand.

But sure. Blame “CRT.”  🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 08:22:10 PM »
Public school teachers have been the whipping boy of the right for a couple of generations.   Ask them to take larger classes for less money.   Blame them for not performing miracles. Take away their pensions.    Don't give them resources.   Make them teach to a test.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2022, 08:26:00 PM »
Public school teachers have been the whipping boy of the right for a couple of generations.   Ask them to take larger classes for less money.   Blame them for not performing miracles. Take away their pensions.    Don't give them resources.   Make them teach to a test.   

Yep. Tearing down a stellar system in the process.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2022, 09:51:50 PM »
Wrong.

Lenny, this is fantastic.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 10:06:35 PM »

Teacher shortages started to increase significantly when Act 10 was passed. It financially incentivized a lot of teachers to retire and disincentivized enrollment in teacher education programs across Wisconsin.

So the shortage has been brewing for awhile now, and it completely snowballed during Covid for a number of reasons.

If you are going to pay people less, not as many are going to enter the profession. I don’t know why it is such a mystery. Simple supply and demand.

But sure. Blame “CRT.”  🙄🙄🙄

This of course isn’t true.  Wisconsin does a pretty good job of paying its public school teachers.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/wisconsin/this-is-how-much-teachers-are-paid-in-wisconsin/article_71e7880a-6f1a-558b-af74-5235a18ded67.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 10:19:12 PM »
This of course isn’t true.  Wisconsin does a pretty good job of paying its public school teachers.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/wisconsin/this-is-how-much-teachers-are-paid-in-wisconsin/article_71e7880a-6f1a-558b-af74-5235a18ded67.html

According to your article the average teacher salary in Wisconsin (regardless of experience/education) is less than what an average college grad makes right after graduation. That doesn't sound like a "pretty good job"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 10:24:47 PM »
According to your article the average teacher salary in Wisconsin (regardless of experience/education) is less than what an average college grad makes right after graduation. That doesn't sound like a "pretty good job"

The average college grad is making $65K out of undergrad?!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2022, 10:26:30 PM »

You are a sad little man. Not little like Jamie, but a person of little value.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2022, 10:31:24 PM »

No idea what the avg starting salary is for recent grads.  Responding to Fluffy saying Wisconsin teachers were paid less because of ACT 10 which isn’t true.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2022, 11:56:08 PM »
The average college grad is making $65K out of undergrad?!

I was using the $59K number not the $63K number that is adjusted for cost of living. And it turns out I was incorrect, the average starting salary out of college is now a little over $55K. I thought I had read recently it was 61K but my memory was a little off. Even so, the average for the entire population regardless of experience/education being only $4k above the average fresh out of college salary is still depressing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 03:48:33 AM »

No idea what the avg starting salary is for recent grads.  Responding to Fluffy saying Wisconsin teachers were paid less because of ACT 10 which isn’t true.

What you posted literally doesn’t address my point. Act 10 most definitely decreased teacher compensation in Wisconsin.

Which was actually its intent by the way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2022, 05:12:00 AM »
What you posted literally doesn’t address my point. Act 10 most definitely decreased teacher compensation in Wisconsin.

Which was actually its intent by the way.

Pace isn’t very bright and just links the first thing he finds on the google machine without reading it