[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy Juneteenth Y’all  (Read 6160 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Happy Juneteenth Y’all
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2022, 02:04:52 PM »
Seriously, I used to come on here to talk basketball and read other people's opinions on various topics and found it to be a good use of time. This place has become whack job city and simple comments get attacked on here these days. While I am a Republican, I think some folks on here should start smoking weed before they log onto scoop and bring a more mellow conversation to the board.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2022, 02:14:04 PM »
Good news: Plenty of teaching jobs available for her! Urban public schools are especially desperate for talented, motivated teachers like her.

Sounds like she’d enjoy the generous pay, the cush schedule and the easy-going work environment!

You have plenty of free time.  Put your money where your mouth is. 

Or are you completely unemployable still?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »
My position is that 180 days of work per year is less than a brutal work schedule. My wife and children agree. If you add components to it like going to school, undergoing cancer treatments or double dipping as an administrator and teacher (as my wife and son did) it can turn brutal. Under normal circumstances (like my daughter’s), not so much.

Sorry if that didn’t come through for you in my post. Hope it’s clear now.

Except it's wrong, Lenny.
Any teacher worth his/her salt spends a couple of weeks working before the school year begins getting ready and 1-2 weeks after wrapping up. They work nights and weekends preparing lesson plans, grading papers, communicating with parents, holding open houses, parent-teacher conferences, special events, etc. They attend mandatory training several days a year.
The claim that teachers only work on days and times when kids are in class is false. And that's something you either knew and took the cheap shot anyhow, or you aren't as aware of your family members' careers as you claim.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
Except it's wrong, Lenny.
Any teacher worth his/her salt spends a couple of weeks working before the school year begins getting ready and 1-2 weeks after wrapping up. They work nights and weekends preparing lesson plans, grading papers, communicating with parents, holding open houses, parent-teacher conferences, special events, etc. They attend mandatory training several days a year.
The claim that teachers only work on days and times when kids are in class is false. And that's something you either knew and took the cheap shot anyhow, or you aren't as aware of your family members' careers as you claim.

I’d say any teacher only working doing school hours is far lazier than Justin Lewis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2022, 03:18:55 PM »
So you are doubling down on the idea that teachers only work 180 days a year. As a father and spouse of teachers you should know that's not accurate.

My wife is doing teacher stuff nights and weekends and over the summer to get ready for next academic year.  She also has in service days beyond the 180.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
They all do.   Weak trolling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2022, 03:49:06 PM »
TIL that teachers are the only profession that works beyond their 40 hours per week.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2022, 03:53:39 PM »
TIL that teachers are the only profession that works beyond their 40 hours per week.

Nobody said that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2022, 04:00:47 PM »
Nobody said anything near that.  Someone has got their newsmax whataboutism juices flowing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2022, 04:30:49 PM »
Seriously, I used to come on here to talk basketball and read other people's opinions on various topics and found it to be a good use of time. This place has become whack job city and simple comments get attacked on here these days. While I am a Republican, I think some folks on here should start smoking weed before they log onto scoop and bring a more mellow conversation to the board.

You have said that the guy who led an attempted coup against the United States is the greatest president of your lifetime.

But we are the whack jobs ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2022, 04:34:46 PM »

It sucks that the mods keep forcing you to visit the Superbar, click on the topics and comment.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2022, 04:36:05 PM »
You have said that the guy who led an attempted coup against the United States is the greatest president of your lifetime.

Goose never said that or even intimated that. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
Goose never said that or even intimated that.

Correct, it was 4elder

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2022, 05:16:01 PM »
Correct, it was 4elder

Then I apologize profusely to Goose. My misremembering is getting worse.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »

There was no coup. Look up definition of coup unless the dictionary has changed it, like other words.
All Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2022, 05:22:33 PM »
Pakuni

Why the fxxk would I let people I disagree with force me from visiting scoop? Unlike you, I am not threatened by someone having a different opinion.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2022, 05:49:44 PM »
Pakuni

Why the fxxk would I let people I disagree with force me from visiting scoop? Unlike you, I am not threatened by someone having a different opinion.

Interesting take, Goose, given that you were just here whining about opinions you don't like and namecalling people with whom your disagree
Odd behavior from someone so very unthreatened.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2022, 06:20:17 PM »
Pakuni

I have never whined about opinions, but have have about lack of respect many times.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2022, 06:36:53 PM »
Correct, it was 4elder

Its Double Dribble to you, Bro. This may come as a shock to y'all, I hope neither Trump nor the Buffoon are on the ballot in 2024. Amongst other shortcomings, they're both too fookin' old, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2022, 06:45:10 PM »

Its Double Dribble to you, Bro. This may come as a shock to y'all, I hope neither Trump nor the Buffoon are on the ballot in 2024. Amongst other shortcomings, they're both too fookin' old, aina?

Hallelujah

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2022, 07:26:37 PM »
My wife is doing teacher stuff nights and weekends and over the summer to get ready for next academic year.  She also has in service days beyond the 180.

MU Fan

Apologies to your wife and all others offended. I’ll stipulate that teachers work days (and sometimes nights) when school isn’t in session. The better the teacher, the harder they work. So let’s cut 3 month off in summer to two. Add Christmas and Spring break and other holidays. That’s a lot of time off. One of the reasons that teacher salaries aren’t higher is that (until recently at least) their were a lot more people wanting to do it than there were openings - which contradicts the idea that the job is awful/ too hard. Maybe that changed with Covid. Maybe supply /demand has flipped. In which case, salaries and benefits will go up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2022, 08:43:33 PM »
MU Fan

Apologies to your wife and all others offended. I’ll stipulate that teachers work days (and sometimes nights) when school isn’t in session. The better the teacher, the harder they work. So let’s cut 3 month off in summer to two. Add Christmas and Spring break and other holidays. That’s a lot of time off. One of the reasons that teacher salaries aren’t higher is that (until recently at least) their were a lot more people wanting to do it than there were openings - which contradicts the idea that the job is awful/ too hard. Maybe that changed with Covid. Maybe supply /demand has flipped. In which case, salaries and benefits will go up.

I appreciate the apology but I still think you are underestimating how much teachers work,   especially the good ones. My sister is a teacher and she gets to school between 6 to 630 every morning and usually leaves between 5 and 6 at night. While many in office jobs get time to surf the web or chat around the water cooler,  she's working pretty much non stop while she's there. She doesn't really get lunch as she's either supervising lunch,  tutoring, or monitoring recess.  She spends most nights grading or lesson planning on her personal time. And while the school year is only 180 days,  she only gets 2 or 3 (can't remember which) vacation days whereas most salaried employees would accrue a week or two of vacation in that time.  She also only has a handful of paid sick days (though I think she got a few more during COVID).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:13 PM »
While I am a Republican

Nuff said.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2022, 03:03:01 AM »
There is no doubt teachers work hard, but everyone does in today's world. It is 2:58am CST and I am trying to fix a problem at our office in India. We all know, or should, what we sign up for in a job and accept this expectations. My only problem with the teacher workload debate is that we hear how hard they work non stop. Again, I think a lot of professions work a lot more than regular biz hours and that is life.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2022, 05:22:18 AM »
There is no doubt teachers work hard, but everyone does in today's world. It is 2:58am CST and I am trying to fix a problem at our office in India. We all know, or should, what we sign up for in a job and accept this expectations. My only problem with the teacher workload debate is that we hear how hard they work non stop. Again, I think a lot of professions work a lot more than regular biz hours and that is life.

I was wondering why you were up so early.  I'm in Budapest so that's my excuse.