[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2023?  (Read 81584 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #1000 on: May 25, 2023, 05:27:31 PM »
Hah, just finished watching it. What a train wreck, a beautiful beautiful train wreck. Guilty pleasure

I suppose her acting up isn’t a surprise, but the sass Lala gave Lisa caught my attention.

Should only get better next week!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: May 25, 2023, 05:30:21 PM »
I suppose her acting up isn’t a surprise, but the sass Lala gave Lisa caught my attention.

Should only get better next week!!

She was spittin fire, next week’s continuation can’t come soon enough!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: May 30, 2023, 08:20:04 AM »
I thought Succession and Barry both stuck the ending.

Both a little divisive.

But honestly not really sure what people were expecting with Succession if they hated that ending.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: May 30, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
Spoilers if you haven’t seen it…

The end of Succession made sense, no one “won” (even Tom didn’t really win). I didn’t love how they ultimately got there though.

Shiv in 24 hours gets told by Tom he doesn’t want to make it work, gets backstabbed by Mattson, finds out Tom is the mf’er that Mattson backstabbed her for, and then the sight of Kendall’s feet on Logan’s desk is what turns her? I kept waiting for the Kendall killed someone card to be played, and for Succession, it seemed way too convenient for that to be the moment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2023, 10:27:57 AM »
Spoilers if you haven’t seen it…

The end of Succession made sense, no one “won” (even Tom didn’t really win). I didn’t love how they ultimately got there though.

Shiv in 24 hours gets told by Tom he doesn’t want to make it work, gets backstabbed by Mattson, finds out Tom is the mf’er that Mattson backstabbed her for, and then the sight of Kendall’s feet on Logan’s desk is what turns her? I kept waiting for the Kendall killed someone card to be played, and for Succession, it seemed way too convenient for that to be the moment.

There are always convenient plot situations and logical leaps in any series. And I agree with you about Shiv. I mean, why didn't she use the considerable leverage she had to broker power for herself?

In general, though, I loved the show and I'm satisfied with the final episode. I loved the development of the Tom/Shiv dynamic in Season 4, and the actors who played those characters were incredible. Just a superbly acted series throughout, really. I'd rate it the best HBO series since Game of Thrones for sure and a top dozen all-time IMHO.

Oh ... sorry ... not HBO ... MAX.

What a stupid decision to take one of the great brand names in the history of entertainment and change it to something meh, but that's another subject entirely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: May 31, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
There are always convenient plot situations and logical leaps in any series. And I agree with you about Shiv. I mean, why didn't she use the considerable leverage she had to broker power for herself?

In general, though, I loved the show and I'm satisfied with the final episode. I loved the development of the Tom/Shiv dynamic in Season 4, and the actors who played those characters were incredible. Just a superbly acted series throughout, really. I'd rate it the best HBO series since Game of Thrones for sure and a top dozen all-time IMHO.

What a stupid decision to take one of the great brand names in the history of entertainment and change it to something meh, but that's another subject entirely.
This resonates with some around here.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: May 31, 2023, 11:14:02 AM »

Honestly, I think one of the unspoken undercurrents in the show/plot was that Shiv was nowhere near as clever and savvy as she thought herself to be.  She had some angles and some plays, but I struggle to remember a clear WIN that Shiv orchestrated herself that didn't actually end up someone outmaneuvering her.

Tom's BIGGEST strength was a complete honesty and self-awareness about who he was.  He was a pawn (though developing into a more valuable one over time), was willing to eat sh** on his climb, and align himself in who he needed to be.  He was a perfect counter to Shiv who was the total opposite.

Great final episode for the Tom and Greg dynamic.  I saw an interview with Matthew Macfadyen where he said he believes Tom respected and was proud of Greg for using what little leverage he had to try and make a play, which is why he made sure to take care of him.

Say what you will about the plot or the finish, but another superbly acted final few episodes.  Kieran Culkin in particular hit some highs.  Speaking of, I think Roman also showed more self awareness than his character was previously given credit for and finally saw the forest for the trees.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: May 31, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »
I loved the last few episodes of Succession and enjoyed watching the drama unfold. That said, I am exhausted, and the show came to a proper ending, IMO. The Roy's wore me out, but I enjoyed the run.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: May 31, 2023, 11:43:39 AM »
Honestly, I think one of the unspoken undercurrents in the show/plot was that Shiv was nowhere near as clever and savvy as she thought herself to be.  She had some angles and some plays, but I struggle to remember a clear WIN that Shiv orchestrated herself that didn't actually end up someone outmaneuvering her.

Tom's BIGGEST strength was a complete honesty and self-awareness about who he was.  He was a pawn (though developing into a more valuable one over time), was willing to eat sh** on his climb, and align himself in who he needed to be.  He was a perfect counter to Shiv who was the total opposite.

Great final episode for the Tom and Greg dynamic.  I saw an interview with Matthew Macfadyen where he said he believes Tom respected and was proud of Greg for using what little leverage he had to try and make a play, which is why he made sure to take care of him.

Say what you will about the plot or the finish, but another superbly acted final few episodes.  Kieran Culkin in particular hit some highs.  Speaking of, I think Roman also showed more self awareness than his character was previously given credit for and finally saw the forest for the trees.

I think he 100% respected him. And knew that keeping Greg on was the right move. Tom has always been a punching bag kiss ass to those above him. And Greg was the guy under him that he could do the same to.

Both Tom and Greg understood the game and thats why they ended up well off in the end. Greg is still under Tom and Tom is still under someone like Matsson but both got the job title and pay boost they desired.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: May 31, 2023, 02:13:11 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: May 31, 2023, 02:33:53 PM »

Agree with all of this. Bravo to Culkin for overcoming considerable doubt about his acting chops.

I loved the last few episodes of Succession and enjoyed watching the drama unfold. That said, I am exhausted, and the show came to a proper ending, IMO. The Roy's wore me out, but I enjoyed the run.

I agree with this, too. It was an exhausting series, and several episodes really challenged the viewer.

This resonates with some around here.

Ha - good one.

But really, I've yet to read a single good explanation why MAX is better than the brand name that has pretty much meant "great entertainment" for decades.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: May 31, 2023, 02:40:58 PM »
Peacock next to shorten up their name?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: May 31, 2023, 03:35:46 PM »

Considering the term Home Box Office has been quite the thing the past 5 years, it’s dumbfounding.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: May 31, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »
But really, I've yet to read a single good explanation why MAX is better than the brand name that has pretty much meant "great entertainment" for decades.
I always thought Skin-a-MAX, excuse me - Cinemax,  was the "great entertainment" brand.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1014 on: May 31, 2023, 09:17:31 PM »
I finished Aquarius (Netflix) .. very solid series, both s01 and s02 were quite good, 26 episodes total.

I didn't know until now that the series ended in 2016.

So the new question is:  What were you watching 3-5-8 years ago that was good?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: May 31, 2023, 10:30:14 PM »
I thought the Ted Lasso finale was fantastic.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: May 31, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »
Yup, pretty much.  Which new decision will they ultimately end up not really making a decision about?

100% agree with this take. The show was well acted and I enjoyed it early on but there was no character development whatsoever and the plot was repetitious beyond belief. Everybody was despicable, predictable and (while at times clever) not very smart. No one worth rooting for, I gave up late in season 2.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: May 31, 2023, 10:59:39 PM »
100% agree with this take. The show was well acted and I enjoyed it early on but there was no character development whatsoever and the plot was repetitious beyond belief. Everybody was despicable, predictable and (while at times clever) not very smart. No one worth rooting for, I gave up late in season 2.

Yeah. The finish was stronger than the rest of the series, but it was just an okay show in my opinion.

Greg and Roman were by far the best characters to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: June 01, 2023, 08:07:27 AM »

Thought it was good, not great.  Wish they would have spent a little more time wrapping up the lesser characters arcs, but no major complaints.  Applaud Sudeikis for realizing that the show really only had a shelf life of three seasons, as he probably could have milked a few more season if he wanted to/wanted the money.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: June 07, 2023, 08:30:02 AM »

Thought it was good, not great.  Wish they would have spent a little more time wrapping up the lesser characters arcs, but no major complaints.

I enjoyed it as well. My wife felt similarly to DJ.

Whether it is real foreshadowing or wishful thinking, I'm intrigued by the theory out there that Ted's message to Trent ("One small suggestion...I'd change the title. It's not about me. It never was.") is a nod to a planned spinoff.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: June 08, 2023, 08:49:02 PM »
I .. very much liked The Diplomat.  Season 1, Netflix.    Will look forward to S2.
Indeed.  Just finished.  I figured out both of the twists about 30 seconds in advance.  And I think I know rhe how/why/who of the second.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1021 on: June 09, 2023, 03:39:23 AM »
Keri Russell is a national treasure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1022 on: June 09, 2023, 10:11:12 AM »
Made it thorough Season 2 of the Wire. Was maybe a half step down from Season 1 but still akazing television. The scene with Omar testifying was the best of the series so far.  I think the whole season could have done without Ziggy. He was an obnoxious add with very little narrative payoff
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1023 on: June 09, 2023, 11:20:04 AM »
Made it thorough Season 2 of the Wire. Was maybe a half step down from Season 1 but still akazing television. The scene with Omar testifying was the best of the series so far.  I think the whole season could have done without Ziggy. He was an obnoxious add with very little narrative payoff

That's rude.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1024 on: June 09, 2023, 11:52:15 AM »
That's rude.

Great defense Ziggy. I teed that one up beautifully and you just flew in there and broke up the pass
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback