[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Bob Newhart  (Read 374 times)

Pakuni

• All American

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: RIP Bob Newhart
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 03:44:03 PM »
The hits have been coming the last couple of weeks.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 04:25:46 PM »
Have some moo goo gai pan tonight
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 04:31:50 PM »
One journalist called him "the king of deadpan comedy". That fits perfectly.

I read that before the pilot of the Bob Newhart show was shot, producers asked him to deliver his lines more smoothly. Typical, spot-on Newhart response.... "My stammer got me a house in Beverly Hills."

I loved his style. No silly-ass "jokes" with laugh tracks. His lines and his stammering delivery of them were great.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 04:34:44 PM »
One journalist called him "the king of deadpan comedy". That fits perfectly.

I read that before the pilot of the Bob Newhart show was shot, producers asked him to deliver his lines more smoothly. Typical, spot-on Newhart response.... "My stammer got me a house in Beverly Hills."

I loved his style. No silly-ass "jokes" with laugh tracks. His lines and his stammering delivery of them were great.

He put together the perfect casts on his shows, too.  Simply brilliant TV mind
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 04:57:52 PM »
He put together the perfect casts on his shows, too.  Simply brilliant TV mind

I posted this some time ago, but one episode featured Loyola alum Newhart going to the Loyola- Marquette game with his friend Jerry the dentist. The actor who played Jerry was a Marquette alum. Of course, Loyola won the game because it was Newhart's show.

One of Newhart's last (maybe it was the last, I do not know) appearances on a show was his playing the role of "Ducky's" predecessor as medical examiner on NCIS. His character came to NCIS unannounced and was in the early stages of dementia, which Ducky soon figured out. As usual, it was a beautiful performance by Newhart. The NCIS writers did a great job with the subject and combined with Newhart's acting, it was a memeorable episode.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 05:12:58 PM »
RIP, Professor Proton.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2024, 05:40:06 PM »
Between him and Betty white recently oak park's finest are getting trimmed down quick.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 05:50:15 PM »
I remember the episode with the Marquette-DePaul game in the storyline. Peter Bonerz was the actor who played Dr Jerry Robinson, graduated in 1960 with a BS degree. In looking at his Wikipedia page, he has been married to his wife since 1963, holy cow! Bob Newhart was a comedic genius. He also went to St Ignatius High School, so has eight years with the Jesuits.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 05:50:47 PM »
Argh meant to say Marquette-Loyola, brain cramp…..

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 07:19:48 PM »
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2024, 07:54:16 PM »
One of the not so secret mid century Hollywood "secrets" was the Newhart had an absolute bazooka of a unit down below and would whip it out for comedic effect/gags back in his younger days.  Obviously he had a great reputation and was pretty universally considered a good dude, so it clearly wasn't some pervy thing and is all the more hilarious given his mild deadpan personality.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 08:10:12 PM »
One of the not so secret mid century Hollywood "secrets" was the Newhart had an absolute bazooka of a unit down below and would whip it out for comedic effect/gags back in his younger days.  Obviously he had a great reputation and was pretty universally considered a good dude, so it clearly wasn't some pervy thing and is all the more hilarious given his mild deadpan personality.

The fact that Don Rickles was his best friend should tell you a lot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2024, 07:52:13 AM »
Talk about a great TV personality no longer being alive ... I miss Lou Dobbs already!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2024, 04:54:32 PM »
I just read that CBS is planning on airing a show about Newhart this coming Monday. I have no details.