[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91407 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #1050 on: June 19, 2023, 11:41:52 PM »
Extraction 2 is just fun as hell.  Fast and Furious level of absurd but visually gorgeous action sequence filmmaking.  Hemsworth is fantastic and Sam Hargrave is a true talent behind the camera with this stuff, natural given his stuntman background.  Its not gonna win an Academy Award, but I'll watch a movie like this any day.

Really good for what it is. Action movies are really making their mark these days. The choreography and fight scenes were nuts.

Its not John Wick but still very good. And Im intrigued by Elbas character and potential in a 3rd film
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: June 20, 2023, 01:27:30 PM »
Really good for what it is. Action movies are really making their mark these days. The choreography and fight scenes were nuts.

Its not John Wick but still very good. And Im intrigued by Elbas character and potential in a 3rd film

Agreed.  John Wick is also directed by a former stuntman, so it tracks.  Stahelski who did the Wick films had a lot more experience, so it makes me excited for what Hargrave has up his sleeve.  The 360 shots and the choreography were absolutely incredible.

The third installment is already in development, can't wait.  And totally agree that Idris Elba was a great addition.  I loved how Hemsworth goes with a guy who doesn't have much to live for and doesn't care if he dies in the first movie, to a guy who has seen everything and is shaken by nothing in the second film.  His non-reactions to stuff whizzing by his head or exploding nearby is believable and kind of hilarious, instead of corny.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 01:32:07 PM by JWags85 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: June 22, 2023, 09:36:26 AM »
Wife and I recently finished The Diplomat. Outstanding performance by Russell, who is great in everything, and many of the supporting cast. Loved the actor who played the PM as a total dirtbag. Some great twists, although a couple were predictable, and I liked the regular injections of humor.

We really liked Bad Sisters. Sharon Horgan is very talented, not only acting but also as a creator. The other sisters also excel, and the plot is fun.

Ted Lasso was fine this season. Good, not great overall, with a couple of real meh episodes but also some very good ones. Reasonably satisfying conclusion.

On the flight home from Chicago yesterday I re-watched E1 of The Last of Us. I'm not one who really likes to re-watch stuff, especially so soon after the original air date, but now I think I've gotta keep watching ... again! What a great freakin' series!!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: June 22, 2023, 11:10:10 AM »

It’s not John Wick but still very good. And Im intrigued by Elbas character and potential in a 3rd film

Pre Covid my wife and I went to the movies regularly - 3 or 4 times a month. Based on a solid IMDB score we went to see one of the John Wick movies. The review warned that there was violence but c’mon - that’s literally all there was to it. Worst movie I’ve seen in as long as I can remember.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1054 on: June 22, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »
Pre Covid my wife and I went to the movies regularly - 3 or 4 times a month. Based on a solid IMDB score we went to see one of the John Wick movies. The review warned that there was violence but c’mon - that’s literally all there was to it. Worst movie I’ve seen in as long as I can remember.

The near universal love that franchise get is beyond me
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: June 22, 2023, 01:20:42 PM »
Wife and I recently finished The Diplomat. Outstanding performance by Russell, who is great in everything, and many of the supporting cast. Loved the actor who played the PM as a total dirtbag. Some great twists, although a couple were predictable, and I liked the regular injections of humor.

We really liked Bad Sisters. Sharon Horgan is very talented, not only acting but also as a creator. The other sisters also excel, and the plot is fun.

Ted Lasso was fine this season. Good, not great overall, with a couple of real meh episodes but also some very good ones. Reasonably satisfying conclusion.

On the flight home from Chicago yesterday I re-watched E1 of The Last of Us. I'm not one who really likes to re-watch stuff, especially so soon after the original air date, but now I think I've gotta keep watching ... again! What a great freakin' series!!

Agree w all of this.

Been watching Class of 2009.  Mediocre, including the acting of a couple of touted but in this case not well used actors: Kate Mara and Brian Tyree Henry.

Also, Citadel.  Man, a lot going on here. As much as I enjoy the over-exposed Stanley Tucci being tortured, this show has so many silly twists.  Wanted to like it, but not nearly as enjoyable as, say, The Diplomat.

After watching The Diplomat, and having also loved The Americans (top 5 all timer for me), I decided to watch the first couple of episodes of Felicity.  Russell is good, but watching it made me feel dirty.  Prefer the more recent Russell performances. :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: June 22, 2023, 03:13:58 PM »
Agree w all of this.

Been watching Class of 2009.  Mediocre, including the acting of a couple of touted but in this case not well used actors: Kate Mara and Brian Tyree Henry.

Also, Citadel.  Man, a lot going on here. As much as I enjoy the over-exposed Stanley Tucci being tortured, this show has so many silly twists.  Wanted to like it, but not nearly as enjoyable as, say, The Diplomat.

After watching The Diplomat, and having also loved The Americans (top 5 all timer for me), I decided to watch the first couple of episodes of Felicity.  Russell is good, but watching it made me feel dirty.  Prefer the more recent Russell performances. :)

The Americans is a top-5er for you, eh? That's some high praise. I loved it but I haven't thought to rank my faves in any kind of order.

Not easy to do such rankings, in part because of the passage of time. For example, I like to think that given what's gone on (and is still going on) in America, "All in the Family" would still be a relevant and important series, but at the very least the language would have to change.

Rankings would be an interesting exercise, though, and I'm sure The Americans would be pretty high on my list.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1057 on: June 22, 2023, 03:43:22 PM »
The near universal love that franchise get is beyond me

Ditto.

Keanu has a rep for being one of the good guys in Hollywood, but his acting range is about as narrow as John Wayne’s was.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1058 on: June 22, 2023, 04:15:41 PM »
Ditto.

Keanu has a rep for being one of the good guys in Hollywood, but his acting range is about as narrow as John Wayne’s was.

The older I get, the less enthused about gratuitous violence I get as a hook for a movie or TV show. 

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: June 22, 2023, 04:27:09 PM »
Ditto.

Compared to Keanu Reeves, John Wayne is De Niro or Danzell.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1060 on: June 22, 2023, 04:47:46 PM »
The older I get, the less enthused about gratuitous violence I get as a hook for a movie or TV show.

I remember turning 17 too.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: June 22, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »

The Americans is a top-5er for you, eh? That's some high praise. I loved it but I haven't thought to rank my faves in any kind of order.

Not easy to do such rankings, in part because of the passage of time. For example, I like to think that given what's gone on (and is still going on) in America, "All in the Family" would still be a relevant and important series, but at the very least the language would have to change.

Rankings would be an interesting exercise, though, and I'm sure The Americans would be pretty high on my list.

Great point on All in the Family. I have prestige tv recency bias.  In no particular order...

"Prestige":  The Wire, The Americans, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Deadwood, GoT

Second Tier:  The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Bureau, Justified, Ozarks, Succession

Third Tier:  Halt & Catch Fire, Leftovers, Billions

Comedies:   Fleabag, Seinfeld, Parks & Rec, All in the Family, Arrested Dev, Curb, Dick van Dyke show, MTM, The Office, The Odd Couple, Newhart, Good Place, Atlanta, Barry, Cheers

"Old" Drama:  West Wing, ER, NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues (MU days group watch)

Always laughed at but never got into the cartoons- South Park, Simpsons

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: June 22, 2023, 07:54:14 PM »

I often agree with your TV/movie critiques but not this time. IMO “All in the Family” was very overrated in its time and would be totally out of date today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: June 22, 2023, 08:06:15 PM »
Lots and lots of great names in there, LL.

Possible adds (off the top my head and in no particular order):

MASH, Six Feet Under, Veep, Larry Sanders, Bob Newhart (original), Friday Night Lights, Barney Miller, Homeland, 24, Carol Burnett, SNL, Simpsons, The Shield, Frasier, House of Cards, Star Trek, Friends, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Dexter (first 4 seasons).

If counting miniseries, stuff
like Band of Brothers, Chernobyl and Queen’s Gambit would figure in.

Then there are the likes of The Last of Us and Hacks, which probably haven’t been around long enough to rank.

And does one include a series like Dallas, which started a late-night soap trend and had one cliffhanger storyline that literally captivated the world … but actually mostly sucked as art?

Fun discussion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:21:32 PM by MU82 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: June 22, 2023, 08:28:33 PM »
I often agree with your TV/movie critiques but not this time. IMO “All in the Family” was very overrated in its time and would be totally out of date today.

There is no way they would put that show on network television today.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: June 22, 2023, 08:43:29 PM »
There is no way they would put that show on network television today.

Not in its ‘70s form, that’s for sure.

We’ll agree to disagree about All in the Family being overrated in its time. Many tv critics also would disagree with you, not that they’re necessarily “right,” either. This stuff’s all subjective.

IMHO it was a groundbreaking, important show. It also was tremendous television until the Michael Stivic character left; without Meathead to counter Archie, the show did get meh.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: June 22, 2023, 10:39:04 PM »
Not in its ‘70s form, that’s for sure.

We’ll agree to disagree about All in the Family being overrated in its time. Many tv critics also would disagree with you, not that they’re necessarily “right,” either. This stuff’s all subjective.

IMHO it was a groundbreaking, important show. It also was tremendous television until the Michael Stivic character left; without Meathead to counter Archie, the show did get meh.

I thought all of the “family” were so simplistic and one dimensional that they were caricatures rather than characters. I thought the movie “Joe” with Peter Boyle and Susan Sarandon did a far better job of capturing the generation gap of that era than “All in the Family” which (again, my opinion) was as predictable as it was repetitious.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: June 22, 2023, 11:00:50 PM »
I thought all of the “family” were so simplistic and one dimensional that they were caricatures rather than characters. I thought the movie “Joe” with Peter Boyle and Susan Sarandon did a far better job of capturing the generation gap of that era than “All in the Family” which (again, my opinion) was as predictable as it was repetitious.

OK. Have a good one.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: June 22, 2023, 11:27:50 PM »
Lots and lots of great names in there, LL.

Possible adds (off the top my head and in no particular order):

MASH, Six Feet Under, Veep, Larry Sanders, Bob Newhart (original), Friday Night Lights, Barney Miller, Homeland, 24, Carol Burnett, SNL, Simpsons, The Shield, Frasier, House of Cards, Star Trek, Friends, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Dexter (first 4 seasons).

If counting miniseries, stuff
like Band of Brothers, Chernobyl and Queen’s Gambit would figure in.

Then there are the likes of The Last of Us and Hacks, which probably haven’t been around long enough to rank.

And does one include a series like Dallas, which started a late-night soap trend and had one cliffhanger storyline that literally captivated the world … but actually mostly sucked as art?

Fun discussion.

Agreed with many of these, though it all of course is personal opinion.   Forgot The Bear - loved first season. 

Chernobyl and Queen’s Gambit. Parts of 24 and Homeland. YES to Carol Burnett of all the variety shows.  Yes to House of Cards (not the last season / I love the canceled Kevin Spacey). Hacks! 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: June 22, 2023, 11:59:37 PM »

Yes to House of Cards (not the last season / I love the canceled Kevin Spacey). Hacks!

I don’t love sexual assaulters.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: June 23, 2023, 05:07:42 AM »
Extraction 2 is just fun as hell.  Fast and Furious level of absurd but visually gorgeous action sequence filmmaking.  Hemsworth is fantastic and Sam Hargrave is a true talent behind the camera with this stuff, natural given his stuntman background.  Its not gonna win an Academy Award, but I'll watch a movie like this any day.

For me it was about 45 minutes too long.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: June 23, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
I don’t love sexual assaulters.

Yes, you’re right about my flippant comment.

Love his role in that show and others. Art vs the artist.  I apply my thoughts on that conundrum fairly inconsistently.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: June 23, 2023, 12:21:11 PM »
Yes, you’re right about my flippant comment.

Love his role in that show and others. Art vs the artist.  I apply my thoughts on that conundrum fairly inconsistently.

Agreed. I usually try to disassociate the actor in real life and what is seen onscreen.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: June 23, 2023, 01:02:07 PM »
Agreed. I usually try to disassociate the actor in real life and what is seen onscreen.

I am the same for actors' personal lives (political views, etc.), but once they become sexual predators, that's where I draw the line.

So yeah, no Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, or R Kelly for me.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: June 23, 2023, 05:06:28 PM »
I am the same for actors' personal lives (political views, etc.), but once they become sexual predators, that's where I draw the line.

So yeah, no Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, or R Kelly for me.

A reasonable take.