collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91579 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #1075 on: June 24, 2023, 09:37:48 AM »
I am the same for actors' personal lives (political views, etc.), but once they become sexual predators, that's where I draw the line.

So yeah, no Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, or R Kelly for me.
How about cannibalism?
https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-armie-hammer-cannibalism-allegations-explainer-20220901-66fooo7mnnehjksjxrlecf67ea-story.html

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: June 24, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
Yeah, that, too.

Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: June 26, 2023, 03:45:22 PM »
Tonight is the season finale of Undercover Underage. Roo said they don’t know if another season will be picked up. Hope so. Go get ‘em, SOSA!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: June 26, 2023, 09:53:58 PM »
New season of "The Bear" is amazing.

Season six of "Black Mirror" is interesting. The focus on technology is dialed way back. 
Have some patience, FFS.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: June 27, 2023, 04:46:23 PM »
s2 ep 6 of The Bear is a masterclass
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: June 27, 2023, 09:54:31 PM »
s2 ep 6 of The Bear is a masterclass

It is excellent.  And you don't even have to watch a second of the the rest of the series to appreciate it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: July 03, 2023, 02:44:06 PM »
Finished The Bear. Highly entertaining, with some outstanding acting and writing. The approach they took was so different from S1, but still turned out wonderfully.

I agree with chick and others about E6 -- incredible stuff. Jamie Lee Curtis has to get nominated for a guest-acting Emmy, no? One thing, though: I do think there was more screaming and shouting in that episode than in anything I've ever seen on TV!

I also really liked the following episode, in which Carmy sends Richie to "the best restaurant in the world" to learn what it means to be part of an establishment that aspires to be great. Great brief guest turn by the wonderful Olivia Colman. And as one who absolutely loves Pequod's Pizza, I was thrilled to see the best deep-dish joint in Chicago get a starring role, too!

Frankly, I didn't love the season's final scene, as the optimist in me would have preferred something a little less dark. But I will say it fit Carmy, so who am I to complain?

Just a really, really good show, and I look forward to S3.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: July 03, 2023, 03:21:28 PM »
Finished The Bear.

I bet you did!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: July 03, 2023, 04:42:05 PM »
Gonna watch the Jerry Jones Netflix docuseries, or at least the episode that critically inspects his cameo at Brown v..Board

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: July 07, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »
As a big fan of Justified, I was glad to hear a new-twist version of the series called Justified: City Primeval will be on FX starting July 18. The twist: Raylan (still played by the great Timothy Olyphant) will be doing his U.S. Marshaling in Detroit.

Here's Vulture's plot synopsis:

Justified: City Primeval begins ten years after the original series ended. After a spell in Miami raising his 15-year-old daughter (played by Olyphant’s real-life daughter) and continuing his work as a U.S. Marshal, Givens ends up in Detroit to take down sociopathic criminal Clement Mansell (Boyd Holbrook) and his attorney. “This story’s kind of a three-hander: It’s about Raylan, Clement Mansell, and the third character is this woman defense attorney, Carolyn Wilder, who in some ways is kind of locked at the wrists and ankles, not by her doing, to Clement Mansell,” showrunner Michael Dinner said in an interview with EW. “But then there’s a fourth character, which is the city of Detroit. Raylan’s a little bit of a fish out of water in a place that he doesn’t understand as well as he understood where he grew up in Kentucky — or Miami, where he lives.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: July 11, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »
New season of Tacoma FD.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: July 11, 2023, 04:04:51 PM »
As a big fan of Justified, I was glad to hear a new-twist version of the series called Justified: City Primeval will be on FX starting July 18. The twist: Raylan (still played by the great Timothy Olyphant) will be doing his U.S. Marshaling in Detroit.

Here's Vulture's plot synopsis:

Justified: City Primeval begins ten years after the original series ended. After a spell in Miami raising his 15-year-old daughter (played by Olyphant’s real-life daughter) and continuing his work as a U.S. Marshal, Givens ends up in Detroit to take down sociopathic criminal Clement Mansell (Boyd Holbrook) and his attorney. “This story’s kind of a three-hander: It’s about Raylan, Clement Mansell, and the third character is this woman defense attorney, Carolyn Wilder, who in some ways is kind of locked at the wrists and ankles, not by her doing, to Clement Mansell,” showrunner Michael Dinner said in an interview with EW. “But then there’s a fourth character, which is the city of Detroit. Raylan’s a little bit of a fish out of water in a place that he doesn’t understand as well as he understood where he grew up in Kentucky — or Miami, where he lives.”

Yeah they basically swapped Raylan into a different Leonard novel and apparently it went seamless.

Only a few reviews public so far but very very positive.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: July 13, 2023, 11:13:26 AM »
My only real quibble with the Emmy nominations was that Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't nominated for the "guest actress in a comedy series" category. But someone told me that, for some reason, the most recent season of The Bear wasn't the one considered for nominations, so Curtis wasn't a candidate.

I was mildly surprised to see Brian Cox listed in the lead actor category, given how little he appeared on the last season of Succession. That's a loaded category with Culkin, Strong, Pascal and Odenkirk. Matthew Macfadyen has to be a shoo-in for supporting actor, I'd think.

I'll be rooting for Bella Ramsey, who was absolutely phenomenal in The Last of Us -- every scene she was in, she "won." It would be great if both Offerman and Bartlett could win guest actor in a drama but I know they can't; I'm guessing it goes to Offerman. It sure won't go to the guy who played Stewy! All 3 of candidates in guest actress from The Last of Us are very deserving IMHO.

My wife and I didn't really like S1 of White Lotus but I think we've decided to watch S2 to see what all the hullabaloo is about.  We stopped watching Abbott Elementary because we thought it was more sweet than funny, but we did happen to watch an episode recently and had quite a few chuckles. Still, the Bear is such a superior series (albeit often not a comedy).

Edit: Just realized that the marvelous Reservation Dogs, a better comedy than most nominated, got spurned. Boo!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 11:35:02 AM by MU82 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2023, 11:59:06 AM »
I binged watched Ted Lasso s03 while on planes and trains this past week. 

I thought it was excellent.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1089 on: July 13, 2023, 12:14:12 PM »
The Night Agent, on Netflix, is a lot of fun if you like thrillers

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: July 13, 2023, 12:15:34 PM »
My only real quibble with the Emmy nominations was that Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't nominated for the "guest actress in a comedy series" category. But someone told me that, for some reason, the most recent season of The Bear wasn't the one considered for nominations, so Curtis wasn't a candidate.

I was mildly surprised to see Brian Cox listed in the lead actor category, given how little he appeared on the last season of Succession. That's a loaded category with Culkin, Strong, Pascal and Odenkirk. Matthew Macfadyen has to be a shoo-in for supporting actor, I'd think.

I'll be rooting for Bella Ramsey, who was absolutely phenomenal in The Last of Us -- every scene she was in, she "won." It would be great if both Offerman and Bartlett could win guest actor in a drama but I know they can't; I'm guessing it goes to Offerman. It sure won't go to the guy who played Stewy! All 3 of candidates in guest actress from The Last of Us are very deserving IMHO.

My wife and I didn't really like S1 of White Lotus but I think we've decided to watch S2 to see what all the hullabaloo is about.  We stopped watching Abbott Elementary because we thought it was more sweet than funny, but we did happen to watch an episode recently and had quite a few chuckles. Still, the Bear is such a superior series (albeit often not a comedy).

Edit: Just realized that the marvelous Reservation Dogs, a better comedy than most nominated, got spurned. Boo!

Correct. The Bear always airs past the cut off which is starting your season by beginning of May I believe. So they basically wait a full year for noms.

This year I read the Bear dropped during voting and likely that Xmas ep in S2 helped Bernthal get a S1 nom for his very brief appearance. Next year, the guest category will basically be the Bear.

The only true snub was Ford for Shrinking. That was egregious.

Also Obi wan and ike 3 other shows over Black bird was hilariously bad

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: July 13, 2023, 12:27:38 PM »
Finished it a few weeks ago
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
Also Obi wan and ike 3 other shows over Black bird was hilariously bad

Haven't seen Black Bird yet but plan to. I did see Obi-Wan and couldn't believe it was nominated for anything. I was glad to see Andor get a nom though.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »

Agree.  I finished a few weeks ago.  The wife and rifled through it fairly quickly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2023, 09:42:04 PM »

The idea that The Bear is a "comedy series" is positively ridiculous. Just because the average episode is 30 minutes long doesn't make it a comedy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1095 on: July 13, 2023, 09:56:53 PM »
Just finished season four of The Wire. Holy f*ck. That might have been the perfect season of television, an absolute masterclass. So many stories perfectly weaved together, all of them heartbreaking.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: July 13, 2023, 10:21:12 PM »
Just finished season four of The Wire. Holy f*ck. That might have been the perfect season of television, an absolute masterclass. So many stories perfectly weaved together, all of them heartbreaking.

Yup its truly no exaggeration when vast majority of people say its the best season of tv ever. Just incredible on all accounts. The inclusion of the schools is amazing.

I wouldnt say all stories are heartbreaking though, at least in the end. Namely the one kid who got out. Thats also what I loved the 4 main kids all end up on different paths then how youd think going in.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: July 15, 2023, 09:13:02 PM »
S2E7 of The Bear might be one of the best episodes of a show I’ve ever seen. As a recovering restauranteur, I did what I did for so long to “surprise a table with Pequod’s pizza.” I poured myself into books (I own Unreasonable Hospitality that Richie was reading). I prided myself on perfection. It’s also why I couldn’t sleep for years, couldn’t shut off my mind, and why it took my body six months before it relaxed after I sold my long time pride and joy of a restaurant. I love The Bear, it is spot on for someone like me. I wish more people served in restaurants (or bartended like Al said), I think it would immediately up the level of respect we should share for each other.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: July 15, 2023, 11:12:51 PM »
S2E7 of The Bear might be one of the best episodes of a show I’ve ever seen. As a recovering restauranteur, I did what I did for so long to “surprise a table with Pequod’s pizza.” I poured myself into books (I own Unreasonable Hospitality that Richie was reading). I prided myself on perfection. It’s also why I couldn’t sleep for years, couldn’t shut off my mind, and why it took my body six months before it relaxed after I sold my long time pride and joy of a restaurant. I love The Bear, it is spot on for someone like me. I wish more people served in restaurants (or bartended like Al said), I think it would immediately up the level of respect we should share for each other.

That was my favorite episode of the series by far.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1099 on: July 15, 2023, 11:55:59 PM »
I wouldnt say all stories are heartbreaking though, at least in the end. Namely the one kid who got out. Thats also what I loved the 4 main kids all end up on different paths then how youd think going in.

I mean, yeah that one kid got out, but there was plenty of heartbreak to his story along the way. It's also heartbreaking that the only way he got out is because a single individual decided to do an extraordinary thing for him. That's not a solution that can be generalized which is I where I think the heartbreak comes in.

So many people in that season with good intentions and none of it makes a lick of difference and oftentimes ends up making things worse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.