[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 124534 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: K-12 Schools & COVID
« Reply #1000 on: February 02, 2022, 09:24:09 AM »
Teachers Are Quitting, and Companies Are Hot to Hire Them
Businesses eager to fill jobs are offering former educators better pay and more autonomy
https://www.wsj.com/articles/teachers-are-quitting-and-companies-are-hot-to-hire-them-11643634181

Burned out teachers are leaving the classroom for jobs in the private sector, where talent-hungry companies are hiring them—and often boosting their pay—to work in sales, software, healthcare and training, among other fields.

Teachers are great at Customer Support and Customer Success without much training. Wonderful communicators, for the most part, and pretty high EQ.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: February 02, 2022, 09:46:24 AM »
Teachers are great at Customer Support and Customer Success without much training. Wonderful communicators, for the most part, and pretty high EQ.

Similarly, I know multiple teachers in Chicago and Columbus that left teaching and got very well compensated personal assistant roles for executives and bigger companies.  Good communicators, organized, flexible, and high EQ fit that role well.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1002 on: February 02, 2022, 10:22:32 AM »
Customer service and executive assistants.  Way to aim high.

I know former teachers in a lot of higher level roles.  Insurance, corporate comms,  corporate training, real estate all come to mind in about 8 seconds of thinking.

The biggest problem, at least in Illinois where my brother and SiL teach, is that they are so bound to their pension, that it's hard to leave.  I didn't fully understand it, but I believe their social security is contributed to the pension, so they get nothing if they leave before being fully vested.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: February 02, 2022, 10:32:42 AM »

I know former teachers in a lot of higher level roles.  Insurance, corporate comms,  corporate training, real estate all come to mind in about 8 seconds of thinking.

The biggest problem, at least in Illinois where my brother and SiL teach, is that they are so bound to their pension, that it's hard to leave.  I didn't fully understand it, but I believe their social security is contributed to the pension, so they get nothing if they leave before being fully vested.

At my fiancés district she's not even eligible to start paying into the pension program till year 5. It's a decent way to weed out young teachers who don't want to do it forever.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: February 02, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »

Personal assistants, not executive assistants aka secretaries.  Not a single one of those teachers is still a PA.  The role is essentially chief of staff for for the C level executive they are working with.  And then they get excellent experience and continue onward within the company.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: February 02, 2022, 11:07:07 AM »

The pay and benefits are better.   No longer a political scapegoat.   Not a lot of downside.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: February 02, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Personal assistants, not executive assistants aka secretaries.  Not a single one of those teachers is still a PA.  The role is essentially chief of staff for for the C level executive they are working with.  And then they get excellent experience and continue onward within the company.
Yeah, we had a PA to the CEO that basically ran the operations of the company and was compensated very well. Easily 6 figures. Not a lot of teachers pulling down that kind of coin.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: March 22, 2022, 09:20:22 AM »
My wife is becoming her high school's tennis coach.  She has played tennis for fun in the past, but never anything organized.  Apparently, the district didn't even receive one application for the position and it's been open for quote some time.  Also, tennis "pros" don't apply because they consider these positions below them (???).  The school athletic director told her the tennis team basically needs a warm body as all the kids take private lessons, so they know what they are doing regardless of who the coach is.  She figured the extra money is worth it with our two kids in college.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: March 22, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
My wife is becoming her high school's tennis coach.  She has played tennis for fun in the past, but never anything organized.  Apparently, the district didn't even receive one application for the position and it's been open for quote some time.  Also, tennis "pros" don't apply because they consider these positions below them (???).  The school athletic director told her the tennis team basically needs a warm body as all the kids take private lessons, so they know what they are doing regardless of who the coach is.  She figured the extra money is worth it with our two kids in college.

I hope she really has fun with it. I have found coaching to be very rewarding, even through the occasional headaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: March 22, 2022, 11:38:33 AM »
I hope she really has fun with it. I have found coaching to be very rewarding, even through the occasional headaches.

She has had several of the kids as students previously and she said they're "all good kids".
Plus they have two matches/tournaments a week so they kids will spend more of their time playing other high schools rather than practicing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: March 22, 2022, 12:34:50 PM »

I don't know what your district is like, but growing up in a suburb that had a very good tennis team, that tracks.  Pros at the clubs nearby would sometimes help out or assistant coach, but there wasn't really teaching or "coaching" done.  The Tennis coach basically worked with the AD on scheduling, managed intra team "rankings" to determine who was playing #1 singles, etc...

The pro at the club I played at growing up said he taught/coached more actual tennis on the summer league intra-club tourney circuit than he did when he coached HS tennis for a few years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1011 on: March 22, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
I don't know what your district is like, but growing up in a suburb that had a very good tennis team, that tracks.  Pros at the clubs nearby would sometimes help out or assistant coach, but there wasn't really teaching or "coaching" done.  The Tennis coach basically worked with the AD on scheduling, managed intra team "rankings" to determine who was playing #1 singles, etc...

The pro at the club I played at growing up said he taught/coached more actual tennis on the summer league intra-club tourney circuit than he did when he coached HS tennis for a few years.

And probably made more money doing it. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: March 22, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »
At least in Wisconsin, on top of the other issues identified, it limited their ability to work with players outside the school season. It was probably more hassle than it was worth.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1013 on: March 22, 2022, 04:00:44 PM »
At least in Wisconsin, on top of the other issues identified, it limited their ability to work with players outside the school season. It was probably more hassle than it was worth.

Our HS baseball coach told me that he gets about 10 days with his players before their first game.  The WIAA allows 5 additional days for pitchers and catchers (like 1 hour per day, every other day.)

HS sports is rapidly becoming nothing more than a hiccup in the club season. 

Also, the NFHS doesn't follow standard rules or link with other associations, so there is no carry over of times, etc.

2 examples.   The NFHS has their own rulebook for soccer different than the worldwide rulebook.  2nd, the NFHS swim times don't carry over to USA swimming. So the winter boys season ends a few weeks before state & up for USA swimming.

Just 2 examples that I know of.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1014 on: April 26, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1519021429110489089

Despite the masks, plexiglass, lunch outside, virtual learning, social distancing, vaccine mandates, etc etc

3 in 4 kids still got Covid.  For mitigation measures that we were told work so well, it’s shocking that despite these incredibly effective measures that 75% of kids still got Covid and the cherry on top is we are now facing a mental health crisis like never seen before in school aged kids.  Great job guys.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: April 26, 2022, 02:28:37 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1519021429110489089

Despite the masks, plexiglass, lunch outside, virtual learning, social distancing, vaccine mandates, etc etc

3 in 4 kids still got Covid.  For mitigation measures that we were told work so well, it’s shocking that despite these incredibly effective measures that 75% of kids still got Covid and the cherry on top is we are now facing a mental health crisis like never seen before in school aged kids.  Great job guys.

If I am interpreting that article correctly, in a single month of testing (February 2022) 3 in 4 had antibodies.
The most striking increase was in children. The percentage of those 17 and under with antibodies rose from about 45% in December to about 75% in February.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1016 on: April 26, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
If I am interpreting that article correctly, in a single month of testing (February 2022) 3 in 4 had antibodies.

Pace is a known idiot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: April 26, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »
Pace is a known idiot

You can call him names all day, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he has a good point.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: April 26, 2022, 04:42:22 PM »
You can call him names all day, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he has a good point.

I can make a bunch of great points if I make up data too!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: April 26, 2022, 04:54:29 PM »
I can make a bunch of great points if I make up data too!

Are you saying that the CDC made this up?  The CDC is the source.

For the record, I don't believe anything that comes out of the CDC, but I may be in the minority on that.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: April 26, 2022, 04:59:12 PM »
Are you saying that the CDC made this up?  The CDC is the source.

He said "3 of 4 kids still got Covid."  That is not what the article said, not what the data says and not what the CDC said.

For the record, I don't believe anything that comes out of the CDC, but I may be in the minority on that.

Shocking.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1021 on: April 26, 2022, 05:03:25 PM »
He said "3 of 4 kids still got Covid."  That is not what the article said, not what the data says and not what the CDC said.

Shocking.

Enlighten us Fluffy on what it said then.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: April 26, 2022, 05:17:02 PM »
Implication by OP is kids caught it at school.

Source?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: April 26, 2022, 05:22:05 PM »
Smart move, stick with the Epoch Times for all your information.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:26 PM »
Enlighten us Fluffy on what it said then.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback